[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

1 hour ago, Schaufel said:

Thanks, but how to fix it?

You will need to go into the save file and edit all the orbital parameters of your ships. I'm on my phone now so I can't check but i think the value you need to change is "REF"

you need to change that number to the new flightglobalsindex of the planet.

You can calculate the fgi of a planet using its distance from the sun:

1-moho

2-eve

3-gilly

4-kerbin

5-mun

6-minmus

7-duna

... etc

Ok, thanks for the fix. But as I have over 70 flights out there, this really would be an annoying procedure.

Any chance that the not so obsolete variables will be back with the next release of OPM? In this case I would prefer to change back to 1.8.1...
 :(

12 minutes ago, Schaufel said:

Sad, but I'm back on 1.8.1.

I really thank you for this wonderful mod, unfortunately I have trouble with every update. If you need another beta tester with a ongoing ksp career, feel free to ask me...

Ongoing careers will always have problems with planet updates. It's not something capt can change (nor any amount of "testers")

If you wish to keep old saves you'll need to back them up, try the new patch, and in case it doesn't work roll back to the latest working patch.

In this case the fix is pretty simple, you just need to use the "find and replace" tool of your text editor and you can update your savefile to work with this release.

Thanks, Sigma. I do backups prior every update of course and of course roll backs like in this case.

But I'm a little bit unhappy, that you moders label a value as "not necessary any more" while it is indeed very necessary to your long time users and fans. I have started this career with 1.0.2 together with OPM. No hyperedit or mods like interstellar were used in this career. So now my little green guys are on their way to lets say Urlum nearly three months in real life. Then comes an update and you are been told, that your actual safes are not compatible anymore and it is better to restart, beginning a new career.

So come on, you offer a mod to the KSP community that is meanly interesting for players who like to explore your new system in full and in a somehow relistic way - which takes time. So, useless to say that I'm not willing to throw away month of playing, over 50 well educated kerbonauts a fully upgraded tech tree and the status of a bunch of fully researched planets.

At least you can give a warning when doing changes to OPM, that are game breaking for ongoing careers. Better would be of course to avoid changes like these or giving at least a clear workaround for fixing.

I may be forced to do the manual editing of my safes, right. I done this before and are used to work with editors. That's not the problem. But can someone give a clear statement what to do in detail, not just speculations... A clear list of the right values for all planets destinations and a clarification which value has to been changed. Thank you in advance

Did not realize that removing the FlightGlobalIndex would be a savebreaking bug. Since I mainly do HyperEdit-based testing in my save, this was not spotted. Had I known, I wouldn't have removed it. I have to go to bed now, but I'll release a hot fix within 24 hours that restores the FGIs.

19 minutes ago, CaptRobau said:

Did not realize that removing the FlightGlobalIndex would be a savebreaking bug. Since I mainly do HyperEdit-based testing in my save, this was not spotted. Had I known, I wouldn't have removed it. I have to go to bed now, but I'll release a hot fix within 24 hours that restores the FGIs.

Fantastic, Robau. Thanks a lot :cool:

1 hour ago, SecurityAttack! said:

Neat Plock system! :D 

However ,Now that this new Plock is out, Should i get rid of The PluronKhato System from Sigma88's Expansion? Would it do anything if i kept it in?

Pluron-Khato no longer removes Plock, so keeping it installed will not change anything about OPM.

You are free to keep it if you like it, or remove it if you don't feel the need of Pluron-Khato now that OPM has it's own binary system (Plock-Karen) ;)

Very import hotfix: 1.9.1 out now!

As some of you might have already noted from the recent discussions, but in 1.9 we removed an obsolete feature (FlightGlobalIndexes) that, unbeknownst to me, turned out to lead to savegame incompatibilities. While the main function of these FGI values was deprecated by Kopernicus, it still had a use in the savegames started before OPM 1.9. As a result spacecraft would move from one planet to another upon loading the pre 1.9 savegame in 1.8.

This update returns these FGIs to the OPM bodies, so that at least untouched save games would not be impacted by this bug. I can't return save games that broke with 1.9 and were saved. I'm very, very sorry for letting this happen, but stopping future incompatiblities is better than nothing.

If you have 1.9.0, replace that with this version. If you haven't gotten 1.9.0 yet, just download this version and you'll be fine.

Downloads

1. Choose one of the two available mirrors for Outer Planets Mod (the CKAN version should get the update within the day, probably within a few hours)

FRO6RIX.png WhwiS8Y.png

2. Download Kopernicus, which is a third-party mode required for OPM to work

ypskWRz.png

This version of OPM was designed with Kopernicus 0.6.2 in mind.

3. (Optional) Download Sigma Binary to make Plock-Karen a true binary system like Pluto-Charon (a really cool effect)

Download Sigma Binary 1.3.2

Here's the full changelog:

-Re-added the FlightGlobalIndex variables to the various bodies to maintain save game compatibility and prevent save game breaking from occurring in the future

The future

With Plock redone and Karen added, the main vision for this mod is pretty much accomplished. The mod is far from dead or complete however. Here's how I imagine the roadmap for the near future:

1.9.2:

• Some things were not tested enough to make the cut for 1.9.0. These things will be added in short order in another intermediate release. Nothing major, just a little bit of extra shine like CustomAsteroids support that's cool to have while we work larger tasks like Plock/Karen biomes to be included in 2.0 and beyond.

2.0 and beyond:

• Improving the existing OPM bodies. Many more things have been added to the toolkit of the planet pack maker. It's time for to dive into all these new techniques and get everything in OPM working and looking as well as the best examples from stock KSP. Think procedural craters like on the Mun, custom land textures to make the terrain more varied, etc. We also have plans for the biome maps, as Eudae and me have decided that they can be made much more interesting (less lowlands, midlands and more uniquely named features). Plock and Karen biomes will be designed from the ground up with this approach and other bodies will be changed as we move along. More on all of this at a later date!

15 minutes ago, CaptRobau said:

Very import hotfix: 1.9.1 out now!

As some of you might have already noted from the recent discussions, but in 1.9 we removed an obsolete feature (FlightGlobalIndexes) that, unbeknownst to me, turned out to lead to savegame incompatibilities. While the main function of these FGI values was deprecated by Kopernicus, it still had a use in the savegames started before OPM 1.9. As a result spacecraft would move from one planet to another upon loading the pre 1.9 savegame in 1.8.

This update returns these FGIs to the OPM bodies, so that at least untouched save games would not be impacted by this bug. I can't return save games that broke with 1.9 and were saved. I'm very, very sorry for letting this happen, but stopping future incompatiblities is better than nothing.

If you have 1.9.0, replace that with this version. If you haven't gotten 1.9.0 yet, just download this version and you'll be fine.

Downloads

1. Choose one of the two available mirrors for Outer Planets Mod (the CKAN version should get the update within the day, probably within a few hours)

FRO6RIX.png WhwiS8Y.png

2. Download Kopernicus, which is a third-party mode required for OPM to work

ypskWRz.png

This version of OPM was designed with Kopernicus 0.6.2 in mind.

3. (Optional) Download Sigma Binary to make Plock-Karen a true binary system like Pluto-Charon (a really cool effect)

Download Sigma Binary 1.3.2

Here's the full changelog:

-Re-added the FlightGlobalIndex variables to the various bodies to maintain save game compatibility and prevent save game breaking from occurring in the future

The future

With Plock redone and Karen added, the main vision for this mod is pretty much accomplished. The mod is far from dead or complete however. Here's how I imagine the roadmap for the near future:

1.9.2:

• Some things were not tested enough to make the cut for 1.9.0. These things will be added in short order in another intermediate release. Nothing major, just a little bit of extra shine like CustomAsteroids support that's cool to have while we work larger tasks like Plock/Karen biomes to be included in 2.0 and beyond.

2.0 and beyond:

• Improving the existing OPM bodies. Many more things have been added to the toolkit of the planet pack maker. It's time for to dive into all these new techniques and get everything in OPM working and looking as well as the best examples from stock KSP. Think procedural craters like on the Mun, custom land textures to make the terrain more varied, etc. We also have plans for the biome maps, as Eudae and me have decided that they can be made much more interesting (less lowlands, midlands and more uniquely named features). Plock and Karen biomes will be designed from the ground up with this approach and other bodies will be changed as we move along. More on all of this at a later date!

Sounds cool, Capt! I think that some easter eggs using stuff like custom terrain scatter would be pretty awesome too, though, but perhaps that's something for in the future, after 2.0 or something.

Here are some ideas for Outer Planets Mod 2.0:

• EVE included with the main mod, giving the atmospheric bodies custom weather and Plock some blue hazes (like on Pluto).
  • Rings and custom asteroids for Plock.
  • Lots more moons for Jool and the planets introduced in OPM.
  • Centaur objects, comets, and analogues to the four other dwarf planets.
  • An analogue to Nemesis or Tyche.
  • Cryovolcanoes on Eeloo to give it more of an Enceladus feel.
  • Maybe using Texture Replacer on Eeloo?

15 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Here are some ideas for Outer Planets Mod 2.0:

1. EVE included with the main mod, giving the atmospheric bodies custom weather and Plock some blue hazes (like on Pluto).
  2. Rings and custom asteroids for Plock.
  3. Lots more moons for Jool and the planets introduced in OPM.
  4. Centaur objects, comets, and analogues to the four other dwarf planets.
  5. An analogue to Nemesis or Tyche.
  6. Cryovolcanoes on Eeloo to give it more of an Enceladus feel.
  7. Maybe using Texture Replacer on Eeloo?
  1. Since it's a stable release again, some sort of support for that mod is probably not a bad idea. I'll look into it.
  2. No to rings, yes to custom asteroids.
  3. I'm pretty content with the scope of the mod as is. The more stuff I add, the less unique each body will be, giving you less of a reason to visit them. It's quality over quantity for us.
  4. The only one I'm interested in is the comet as it's reachable (Halley, Temple 1, 67P) and unique body. It'll be a while before I'll do anything with it though as revamping the older bodies is a bigger priority.
  5. Too far away to get too for most people, even with super futuristic part mods.
  6. If it's possible sure, but I'll have to investigate the particle system of Kopernicus for that.
  7. Revamping the look of the old bodies is not within the scope of this mod.
15 hours ago, 123nick said:

will there be a kerbol origins patch or something? because both mods move eeloo, i think. 

I'll look into making these two mods play together without much effort. In the meantime you can just remove GameData\OPM\KopernicusConfigs\SarnusMoons\Configs\Eeloo.cfg and the game will only listen to what Kerbol Origins does to Eeloo.

4 hours ago, _Augustus_ said:

What about adding LoadOnDemand compatibility? Every other planet pack uses this system by now..

Good idea. Completely forget I still had to do that.

14 minutes ago, Schaufel said:

Just want to thank you again for 1.9.1. Every works again, fine and stable.

Glad to hear it :D

OPM + 64k HowTo

I think I've figured things out.  The problem with the tellion config that scales OPM to 64k is layered.  It seems that the copy of kopernicus  bundled with 64k is the issue.  So the answer, for me, was to install everything separately.  The only issue I can see atm with my install is that the new plock mood has a silly orbit because it isn't addressed in the Tellion config.  I can live with that.

(1) Download and install 64k as usual.

(2) Download and install current copy of Kopernicus (overwrite the version bundles with 64k)

(3) Download and install OPM,

(4) Download and install the Tellion config.

That order should properly overwrite things as needed.

https://github.com/Tellion/OPM_64K

Fyi. If you are going to try a 64k version of OPM you are going to need some advanced tech mods (ie Nearfuture).  A trip from kerbin to Sarnus will require 21,000+ m/s.  So it is going to be a big install, pushing the ram limit.  Imho running 64k+opm+lots of parts mods should not be attempted under windows/mac.  In all practicality, this is a linux-only game mode.

Edited by Sandworm

Eudae55 makes them, but yeah they're custom made. For a starting planet pack maker, you might look at using SpaceEngine to make procedurally generated textures for you to use. They'll look pretty decent. Just search for SpaceEngine and Kopernicus in Google and you'll probably find some instructions.

2 hours ago, Garbonzo said:

Hey! I'm an new Kopernicus user who's trying to make planets also. Just wondering, how do you make the textures? Did you do them yourself?

2 hours ago, CaptRobau said:

Eudae55 makes them, but yeah they're custom made. For a starting planet pack maker, you might look at using SpaceEngine to make procedurally generated textures for you to use. They'll look pretty decent. Just search for SpaceEngine and Kopernicus in Google and you'll probably find some instructions.

ewww no no no no no no no  no

Space engine exports are horrible, they dont look any like stock firstly, and require a lot more work to get properly working than it takes to make your own maps. Please look at the examples, as well as how other packs function. Uncharted Lands might be worth a look too as it doesn't use heightmaps or colormaps at all for it's terrain. You'll probably find it better to ask in the kopernicus thread too, as more people will be able to help.

1 hour ago, KillAshley said:

ewww no no no no no no no  no

Space engine exports are horrible, they dont look any like stock firstly, and require a lot more work to get properly working than it takes to make your own maps.

Hmm... First of all, space engine textures are not horrible. It depends on the exported planet or moon. Textures from a procedural planet do not look stockalike, indeed, however textures that have been exported from hand-crafted planets look a lot more stockalike. It is, however, not optimal, and it requires a lot of S.E. knowledge as well as computer knowledge or money: exporting 4K textures needs a decent GPU, otherwise you'll need to edit your computer's settings and wait a long time. What is true about the S.E. textures though is the qualilty: heightmaps often aren't good enough for good coastlines, and normal maps often have very little effect. Therefor, when I use textures from S.E. I often recolor it in GIMP as well as create the normal maps using GIMP, not S.E.

However, for people who are new to Kopernicus modding, I do advise using S.E. since it tackles the texture problem without having to understand advanced Kopernicus stuff like fully procuedural planets. Posting the planet pack is something completely diffrent though, that is not a good idea. However, tackling the lack of textures through S.E. allows new modders to skip the texture issue and head on to the basics of making a planet with Kopernicus: a simple, templated body with custom scaledspace and some basic PQS mods like VertexHeightMap, which can then be improved to look stockalike.

Also, getting S.E. textures to work is actually really easy. Just export the textures as .png, load them up in GIMP, and:

- Export the Planet_color as a .DDS file with the DXT5 compression

- Export the Planet_height as a .DDS file with the DXT1 compression

- Export the Planet_normal as a .DDS file with the DXT5_nm compression

GIMP cannot export as .dds by default, but there is an excellent .dds plugin that also adds DXT5_nm

The problem with SpaceEngine is that it is too easy: people might rely on it too heavily and flood the forums with Kopernicus addons that are basically planets ripped from S.E. and dumped into KSP, which is not what Kopernicus is for. If we would want to see S.E. planets, we'd just install S.E. which is why the only textures I often use from S.E. are the color and heightmaps, which are then recolored and edited, and a normal map is generated afterwards. The result is a planet that doesn't look like it came from S.E. but instead looks more KSP-like.

Conclusion: feel free to use S.E. as long as you don't rely on it too heavily and, if possible, do not use S.E. textures when you put something online, unless the textures have been edited to look stockalike. Kopernicus wasn't made so that people could start pulling planets from S.E. then dumping them in KSP, and flooding the forums with S.E. planets. While it is harder, making your own textures or coding a procedural planet results in a better pack, and packs that don't use S.E. textures are appreciated more. Using S.E. textures for educational purposes is fine, but making packs full of S.E. textures is something completely different and should be avoided.

Edited by The White Guardian
Brushed away some typo's.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.