[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Is Plock going to receive an atmosphere on the next pass? I'm kind of trying to stay away from changing any "gameplay" variables with my Visual Overhaul pack but I am tempted to give it one. If the plan is to add it I may hold off though.

Edited by Poodmund
Typo

8 minutes ago, CaptRobau said:

No, Plock won't get an atmosphere. Triton is already the super-thin atmosphere body in the Kerbol system and I like to keep things unique. 

Thatmo :sticktongue: Oh right okay, fair enough, thats understandable.

Hmm, I too am now not getting that wonderfull deeeeeep space feeling. I upgraded to 1.0.5, reshuffled a few mods, and restarted a game, but now it all stops at Eeloo. Sad face.

Here for the diagnostics are a couple of gamedata folder screenshots: https://flic.kr/p/BUDQ4o  https://flic.kr/p/BUDS7b

I'd quite understand if there was a mod conflict, or I might have mixed up a mod manager thing somehwere. If cfg files are needed please say - I do so miss pretty things with rings.

Edited by meeware
broken image links

Could you temporarily remove all folders but Kopernicus and OPM (and keep the ModuleManager files as well) out of GameData and run the game and test it in a new save. If it runs then, it means one of your other mods is interfering.

1of6Billion your folder hierachy structure is pretty messed up, for one you have a GameData folder within the parent GameData folder and secondly, it looks like you have the Kopernicus folder within the Kopernicus.0.6.3 folder which it shouldn't be. You need to locat the Kopernicus folder directly under GameData otherwise the ModuleManager scripts set up within OPM will not function properly as they specifically look for the folder called Kopernicus under the parent GameData folder.

I would advise you to read the Readme files properly when installing mods and ensure that you have located directories as the mod developers have intended them to be.

Edited by Poodmund

On ‎05‎-‎01‎-‎2016 at 0:44 AM, Sigma88 said:

your problem is the kopernicus install.

you need to move the folder : KSP/GameData/Kopernicus 0.6.3/GameData/Kopernicus

to KSP/GameData/Kopernicus

I'll try that first. Thanks a bunch.

aaand, it worked! Whoohoo!

Edited by 1of6Billion

OPM will be a part of the new Kerbal Space Agency when it reboots on KSP v1.1 this year. The Flight Tracker systems overview pages are all set up and you can drill down even to see Tal orbiting Wal when you click on the body position markers.

CYESw_5WQAAd_FJ.png

Edited by Gaiiden
site works again

17 hours ago, Gaiiden said:

OPM will be a part of the new Kerbal Space Agency when it reboots on KSP v1.1 this year. The Flight Tracker systems overview pages are all set up and you can drill down even to see Tal orbiting Wal when you click on the body position markers.

Wow, thanks. That's a great honor!

15 hours ago, BrandenPE said:

Wait so this will be part of the new update?

This has nothing to do with OPM the mod itself. Kerbal Space Agency is a live roleplaying space agency (is that a good way of describing it, Gaiiden?).

Edited by CaptRobau

7 hours ago, CaptRobau said:

This has nothing to do with OPM the mod itself. Kerbal Space Agency is a live roleplaying space agency (is that a good way of describing it, Gaiiden?).

Hrm, didn't think this would cause confusion, haha :P I've yet to really come up with a simple explanation that really lets people comprehend what I do but that'll work for basics.

Although, I should probably note that given the way the KSA functions the OPM bodies won't get much up-close attention for a loooong while other than cool astrophotography images ;) especially since I'm starting from Tier 0

Edited by Gaiiden

5 hours ago, Gaiiden said:

Hrm, didn't think this would cause confusion, haha :P I've yet to really come up with a simple explanation that really lets people comprehend what I do but that'll work for basics.

Although, I should probably note that given the way the KSA functions the OPM bodies won't get much up-close attention for a loooong while other than cool astrophotography images ;) especially since I'm starting from Tier 0

I didn't know about KSA but I have to say it looks like a very interesting "thing"

Is there a game actually running all the time or do you play the bits in advance and then upload them to the net?

8 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

Is there a game actually running all the time or do you play the bits in advance and then upload them to the net?

Played in advance. Game states are added to a database, timestamped and uploaded ahead of time, then when the time rolls around the site auto-updates with new data. I schedule tweets ahead of time too and it's all like a big production that then plays out on its own as I continue to work the lead time.

Also @CaptRobau I managed to get in touch with the Kerbal Maps dev and we're going to work to get OPM terrestrial bodies added to the site, or at least to my version of the Leaflet plugin. Right now I'm waiting to hear back on whether he's able to update his plugin to export the terrain data. He says he needs

...a terrain height map in any of gdal's supported formats.  i just used this plaintext one, (more info) as it was easy to implement. IIRC I rounded to  4 decimal places of precision. Any projection would work, but for simplicity's sake I use equirectangular. Oh, that and the body texture. My code does all this, its just a matter of keeping it maintained to work with new KSP releases

I pointed him towards StupidChris' heightmap export tool but if you have any suggestions as well I could pass on, please let me know.

5 minutes ago, Gaiiden said:

Played in advance. Game states are added to a database, timestamped and uploaded ahead of time, then when the time rolls around the site auto-updates with new data. I schedule tweets ahead of time too and it's all like a big production that then plays out on its own as I continue to work the lead time.

Also @CaptRobau I managed to get in touch with the Kerbal Maps dev and we're going to work to get OPM terrestrial bodies added to the site, or at least to my version of the Leaflet plugin. Right now I'm waiting to hear back on whether he's able to update his plugin to export the terrain data. He says he needs

I pointed him towards StupidChris' heightmap export tool but if you have any suggestions as well I could pass on, please let me know.

Very nice :)

Btw, kittopiatech is a very good tool for generating textures of the surface of the planets added by kopernicus.

I suppose you can use that mod if the textures included in the opm download are not detailed enough

4 hours ago, Gaiiden said:

That's very cool! I've always liked Kerbal Maps. It's a great tool. I'll look into what I can create on my end.

On 12/20/2015 at 3:12 PM, Snark said:

Looks like I've found a bug-- not totally sure if it's in OPM, or Kopernicus, or both.  Has anyone else run into this?

Symptom:  When I'm in map view on Tekto, and I try to switch focus to Tekto itself, the following bad things happen:

First, I get a NullReferenceException:

[Exception]: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
ResourceMap.GetResourceItemList (HarvestTypes harvest, .CelestialBody body)
KnowledgeBase.CreateResourceList ()
KnowledgeBase.OnMapFocusChange (.MapObject target)
EventData`1[MapObject].Fire (.MapObject data)
PlanetariumCamera.SetTarget (.MapObject tgt)
PlanetariumCamera.LateUpdate ()

Second (and presumably a result of the first), the info buttons in the map view don't switch to the planet; they're still showing information for the ship I had focused before I switched to Tekto, and there's no "resources" button present.

Other information that may be useful:

• I don't know if the problem is with Tekto only, or includes other OPM worlds.  This is my first OPM play-through in a long time, and Tekto is the only OPM world I've visited thus far.
  • A possible indication that this may be an OPM issue and not Kopernicus (or, at least, not only Kopernicus):  I'm also running Arkas, another planet mod that also uses Kopernicus.  I encounter no such problem at Arkas (or for stock planets).
  • I'm not running any mods that explicitly affect resources in general.  I'm running Extraplanetary Launchpads, which adds a "MetalOre" resource to the game.

Is this a known issue?  Any suggestions?  It's making OPM very hard to play for me, since I've got my whole mission designed around scanning & locating resources so I can replenish & rebuild.

Never saw any response to this post last time, just wondering whether anyone else has encountered it?  Is it a known issue?

The bug appears to occur with some OPM worlds (examples:  Tekto, Slate, Tal), but other worlds appear to be OK (examples:  Hale, Ovok, Priax, Polta, Wal).

Any ideas?

Get OPM 1.9.2 while it's hot!

Rejoice, for update 1.9.2 is out. I wanted to get it to you guys earlier in the week, but RL got in the way. The update is meant to fix/expand on the things added in 1.9 little under a month ago. The big draws are re-added and improved support for CustomAsteroids (which has recently come back to life after a long absence of the dev). The four gas giants (including Jool) all have procedural asteroids acting as moons with irregular orbits and in the case of the ringed giants, also ringlets. Newcomer Plock also gets some CustomAsteroids love, with asteroids spawning as moons beyond Karen's orbit. These represent the various small moons that have been discovered around Pluto in recent years.

There's now also support for LoadOnDemand, a builtin Kopernicus feature that does dynamic loading and unloading of planet textures. This means lower RAM usage of around 50-100 MB in most situations when you're out and about in space. There's other stuff in the mod too, including bug fixes. See below for the full changelog.

Downloads

1. Choose one of the two available mirrors for Outer Planets Mod (the CKAN version should get the update within the day, probably within a few hours)

FRO6RIX.png WhwiS8Y.png

2. Download Kopernicus, which is a third-party mode required for OPM to work

ypskWRz.png

This version of OPM was designed with Kopernicus 0.6.3 in mind.

3. (Optional) Download Sigma Binary to make Plock-Karen a true binary system like Pluto-Charon. It's not necessary to play, but we consider it 'the' way that the Plock-Karen should look.

Download Sigma Binary 1.3.2

Here's the full changelog:

-Added procedural asteroid moons to Jool, Sarnus, Urlum, Neidon and Plock through the CustomAsteroids mod
-Updated PlockKaren.cfg to latest version of the SigmaBinary template
-Changed the texture paths/locations to allow for LoadOnDemand functionality
-Made Karen's description a bit vaguer to account for the optional nature of the SigmaBinary mod
-Redid the FinalFrontier ribbons for Plock to reflect its new look
-Added FinalFrontier ribbons for Karen
-Fixed the incorrectly sized ScaledSpace .bins for Plock and Karen
-Updated Module Manager to version 2.6.17
-Updated the AVC version file

The future

I already posted this back when I release 1.9.1, but for those who haven't read it:

2.0 and beyond:

• Improving the existing OPM bodies. Many more things have been added to the toolkit of the planet pack maker. It's time for to dive into all these new techniques and get everything in OPM working and looking as well as the best examples from stock KSP. Think procedural craters like on the Mun, custom land textures to make the terrain more varied, etc. We also have plans for the biome maps, as Eudae and me have decided that they can be made much more interesting (less lowlands, midlands and more uniquely named features). Plock and Karen biomes will be designed from the ground up with this approach and other bodies will be changed as we move along. More on all of this at a later date!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.