[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

17 hours ago, CaptRobau said:

The final set of textures that I will use is also coalescing. I plan to release those as the Open Terrain Texture Pack. Other planet pack creators can include OTTP in their download or require it to be downloaded. Either way, by having a common set of textures more creators can create better looking terrain and we'll avoid the issue with players having to load 100s of MBs of textures because everyone is using a different set.

This...this is great! Have you made a development thread for it? This is Roverdude's community resources good!

17 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

Perhaps you should quit the beta program. KSP 1.1.2 is not a beta version. Quit the beta and update to the latest public release of 'non-beta' KSP, version 1.1.2, then try again. Furthermore, you need the latest version of Kopernicus.

Thank you. I hadn't realized that it was out of beta. Can't wait to try OPM.

OPM 2.0 is still progressing a lot. Learning new tricks every day, so I get to fix more quality issues or problems I could never really solve which really moves things along.

No screenshot today. Instead I want to talk about the terrain changes that I'm making or that I'm planning to make.

Hale

No massive changes. Mostly changing a few seed values or other variables to make it just a little bit more different from its template's settings. Don't know if anyone knew this, but Hale so far has just been a shrunk down Gilly. The smaller radius exaggerated its features enough that it felt new and like the irregular clump of rock and ice that it was supposed to be. Since then I and probably a lot of you have grown to love Hale, so that's why I'm keeping the basic shape intact.

Ovok

Can't really get rid of its spikiness without losing the egg shape. I've found that the best possible fix turned out to set the terrain detail level to the lowest possible setting. This makes it very simple, which works for Ovok since it's supposed to be smooth. It's not perfect, but it's a marked improvement over the old situation.

Eeloo

This stock body doesn't have the most interesting/high quality terrain. While I'm keeping true to the basics, I've added a bit here and there (such as procedural craters) to lift it up to the same level of quality as the other bodies in the outer solar system.

Slate

Aside from improved detail, the mountains and volcano have been made a bit taller to make them more imposing. I also added procedural craters to accompany the few larger ones baked in to the height map.

Tekto

General detail improvements and an improved color map aside, Tekto's terrain will mostly stay the same.

Polta

General detail improvements and procedural craters.

Priax

Only general detail improvements as it is already one of the best bodies in OPM, terrain-wise.

Wal

General detail improvements and procedural craters.

Tal

The basic shape is the same, but the terrain is going to be much smoother. It was way too spiky, due to lack of knowledge when I made it.

Thatmo

The terrain height has been halved, as the canyons and plateaus were way to tall. The result is much smoother and closer to what I initially had in mind.

NIssee

The basic shape is the same, but the terrain is going to be much smoother. It was way to spiky, due to lack of knowledge when I made it.

Plock

Both Plock and Karen were a bit of a rush job when they were implemented. The height maps have been reimported to get rid of artifacts that had appeared. The planet is much smoother now, with interesting ridges and shallow valleys. Plock also gets procedural craters.

Karen

The terrain will be far less erratic and smoother than before.

Aside from these terrain changes, you can also look forward too:

• Custom terrain/ground scatter textures
  • KSPedia entries for OPM, courtesy of Poodmund
  • Updated third part mod support. Already did a couple in the previous update, now I've done the rest.
Edited by CaptRobau

Has anyone ever added OPM data into the web version of the Transfer Window Planner? The in-game mod hasn't been updated yet and I see you can add bodies into the web version, just wondering if anyone has ever attempted this.

I still haven't visited yet all the planets in the stock system (well actually only 3 ) but the sights of this mod makes my fingers itching already!

Is it a problem to install this in an already going career mode? Just making sure before i proceed 

Thanks for the great work! 

Great mod!!!!! Just wow!!!!!! 

ps: Little question - the author does not think to add a couple of comets with very eccentric orbits? That would be great ... and would be a real challenge for players...

4 hours ago, RattiRatto said:

I still haven't visited yet all the planets in the stock system (well actually only 3 ) but the sights of this mod makes my fingers itching already!

Is it a problem to install this in an already going career mode? Just making sure before i proceed 

Thanks for the great work! 

At your point in your career there should only one thing from this mod that affects your playthrough: OPM/KopernicusConfigs/StockScienceMultipliers.cfg rebalances the stock science multipliers to account for the extra science generated by all of OPMs planets. So if you install OPM you'll start getting a little less science from your usual destinations. Previously gained science will remain however.

Just to be safe though, backup your career save before starting OPM up in it. You never know.

3 hours ago, *MajorTom* said:

Great mod!!!!! Just wow!!!!!! 

ps: Little question - the author does not think to add a couple of comets with very eccentric orbits? That would be great ... and would be a real challenge for players...

I think that the science multiplier is actually 50%, so you'll be getting half the science once you install OPM.  I disable that feature since I figure I need the tech nodes (and therefore science) just to reach the outer planets.  By the time I'm gathering science from the extra planets and moons, I'll have to have already filled out most of the tech tree just to get there.

Another consideration is that Eeloo is moved in OPM, so if you've got any ships enroute to Eeloo they'll be on a long trip to nowhere once OPM is installed.  I'm not certain but I suspect that ships already at Eeloo will stay at Eeloo once OPM is installed.

Finally, I found that uninstalling OPM was impossible.  Any saves from when OPM was installed would not load without OPM.  Unlike other mods, once I installed OPM it was there forever.

Update:

• The terrain overhaul is basically done
  • Next is the terrain texture overhaul
  • Further down the road is redoing the ground scatter (more varied places, better quality textures, etc.), updating ScaledSpace caches, normal maps and perfecting the transition for each body from ScaledSpace to the actual PQS terrain
Edited by CaptRobau

I used to check on this thread on an almost daily basis but I've been so busy that I haven't been able to recently! After catching up with what I've missed I've got to say that I'm BLOWN AWAY by all the changes that have been made and what is still to come - fantastic work! The terrain changes and procedural cratering really elevate this mod to a whole new level and I cant wait to use it again for some of my projects :)

By the way, I haven't seen much word on whether Thatmo has been given and atmospheric shader yet. That's one of my favourite places added by the mod and would love it to look how you origionally intended but I remember you saying that there where scaling problems. Any news?

Glad I could wow you :D

About Thatmol: I'm working on it. It's hard to figure it out, since KittopiaTech isn't working perfect with the atmospheres in 1.1.2, so it's hard to test.

Edited by CaptRobau

Tried that, but Ovok is not like a normal planet. Due to the way it's built (basically it has a massive mountain sticking out of its side), going for a lower resolution just creates banding. The higher resolution that I have increases noise artifacts (which the PQS level trick did lessen), but at least gets rid of that banding which looks way worse.

1 hour ago, CaptRobau said:

Tried that, but Ovok is not like a normal planet. Due to the way it's built (basically it has a massive mountain sticking out of its side), going for a lower resolution just creates banding. The higher resolution that I have increases noise artifacts (which the PQS level trick did lessen), but at least gets rid of that banding which looks way worse.

I might have an idea for ovok, but it'll need to wait for the next kopernicus release in order to be doable.

I'll pm you a cfg as soon as it works :wink:

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 10:17 PM, Eleven said:

Has anyone ever added OPM data into the web version of the Transfer Window Planner? The in-game mod hasn't been updated yet and I see you can add bodies into the web version, just wondering if anyone has ever attempted this.

Yes, but it seems to be a one time thing, i.e. the data has to be reentered each visit to the site.  I've haven't figured out a way to permanently save the information.  I also haven't actually tried to use any of the transfer data yet, so I can't vouch for whether or not it is working correctly.  Below is the data you need to enter to add a body.  All the numbers come from the OPM cfg files except for mass, which I computed from radius and surface gravity.

Name = Sarnus
Reference body = Kerbol
Semi-major axis = 125798522.368
Eccentricity = 0.0534
Inclination = 2.02
Longitude of ascending node = 184
Argument of periapsis = 0
Mean anomaly at epoch = 2.88114666938782
Mass = 1.23044220718507E+24
Radius = 5300

Name = Urlum
Reference body = Kerbol
Semi-major axis = 254317012.787
Eccentricity = 0.045214674
Inclination = 0.64
Longitude of ascending node = 61
Mean anomaly at epoch = 5.59607362747192
Mass = 1.79037167431793E+23
Radius = 2177

Name = Neidon
Reference body = Kerbol
Semi-major axis = 409355191.706
Eccentricity = 0.0127567
Inclination = 1.27
Longitude of ascending node = 259
Mean anomaly at epoch = 2.27167344093323
Mass = 2.12362318372931E+23
Radius = 2145

Name = Plock
Reference body = Kerbol
Semi-major axis = 535833706.086
Eccentricity = 0.26
Inclination = 6.15
Longitude of ascending node = 260
Argument of periapsis = 50
Mean anomaly at epoch = 0
Mass = 7.77102919458663E+20
Radius = 189

7 hours ago, OhioBob said:

Name = Sarnus
Reference body = Kerbol

Name = Urlum
Reference body = Kerbol

Name = Neidon
Reference body = Kerbol

Name = Plock
Reference body = Kerbol

does it really use the name kerbol instead of the correct name? I expected them to do better than that :)

Edited by Sigma88

40 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

does it really use the name kerbol instead of the correct name? I expected them to do better than that :)

Not sure if serious....

7 hours ago, OhioBob said:

Yes, but it seems to be a one time thing, i.e. the data has to be reentered each visit to the site.  I've haven't figured out a way to permanently save the information.  I also haven't actually tried to use any of the transfer data yet, so I can't vouch for whether or not it is working correctly.  Below is the data you need to enter to add a body.  All the numbers come from the OPM cfg files except for mass, which I computed from radius and surface gravity.

Thanks for that info! I'll check it out.

1 hour ago, Sigma88 said:

deadly serious

find me one place where the word kerbol is used in ksp :)

It is not used in ksp (well known) but it has been in popular use on the forum since before I purchased the game (v0.17?). http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Kerbol

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Not sure if serious....

Me too!

10 minutes ago, Kaa253 said:

It is not used in ksp (well known) but it has been in popular use on the forum since before I purchased the game (v0.17?). http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Kerbol

Me too!

I know it has been used a lot in the forum

I was just surprised to see that name being used in such a tool, for example: what if someone was going to add a planet (or star) called kerbol? You would probably have to change the name to use that site.

Not a major issue, like I said, I was just surprised :)

Edit:

I know it looks like a very pointless exercise of nitpicking, but back when SigmaBinary didn't have a dll it used to require the user to input the name of the reference body which in the majority of cases was the sun. I received a ton of bug reports from ppl that were using kerbol instead of sun in the name. And after a while that starts to get annoying :)

Edited by Sigma88

4 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

Yes it does.  While all the other data has to be typed in by hand, the reference body is selected from a dropdown menu.  The name on the dropdown menu is Kerbol.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.