[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

1 hour ago, Starstrider42 said:

Never mind; given that both of the people who can't download it are in Europe, it might be the CDN being slow to update. Just my luck that I try to download OPM a few hours after a new release... :wink:

Hmmm very strange. If it was the case, we wouldn't get 404 ? I can download any other mod using CKAN. I don't know servers that delay folder update base on geography. I doubt Spacedock has regional mirrors.

Fantastic work, thank you a lot. Download worked well on spaceport.

1. Backup the save first
  2. Move all your vessels on solid OPM bodies (Sarnus, Urlum and Neidon are safe) to at least an orbit 10 km above the underlying terrain
  3. Loading this save in OPM 2.0 now should not destroy any of your vessels

Bye by, Rovers :lol:. No drama for me as all of them fulfilled their research jobs already.

3 hours ago, Schaufel said:

Bye by, Rovers :lol:.

3 TektoRover stayed in place undamaged, one of 3 wal rovers exploded, other are fine. Eeloo rovers were unharmed. A Mun base lost it's legs on load (probably more 1.12 bugs related, then OPM related.)

So I would like to recommend to finish your on surface missions before updating OPM, when you are unable to lift of them into orbit as recommended by CaptRobau prior updating. Or just give it a try as the risk of loss/damage seems low.

I've been slowly building an Arduino based controller to play KSP. The style is themed after the Apollo capsules. I have been looking forward to flying to Sarnus, Urlum, Neidon, and Plock with real instruments for so long! It'll be great when I really can! In the mean time... Keep up the good work! It's so hard to wait so long, cause this build is taking FOREEEEEVER! :confused:

Just amazing work! Thank you!

Edited by richfiles

Slate is the best looking planet of the whole game. Design doesn't seem random. It looks like a real planet.

BTW, I'm preparing a Plock mission (space station + 2 landers, + 2 rovers, + 2 sats + return vehicle). The space station flight is ready.

BTW : Plock and Karen doesn't seem to have any biome, is it intended ?

Edited by Warzouz

On 5/20/2016 at 2:04 PM, Diddly Feelerino said:

Hope this helps anybody else trying for a Tekto landing/return mission!

I find it easier to use a spaceplane on Tekto.  You need a nuclear thermal jet to start with, but once that peters out at about 13km, even LVNs work well enough to get to orbit no problem.  That's because Tekto's gravity is so low, they still give you a TWR > 1 if your plane isn't TOO huge.

Now of course, to do this you must be able to see ahead for some distance, so you don't fly into mountains.  So be careful which cloud mods/configs you use :wink:

On 5/21/2016 at 4:54 PM, GregroxMun said:

Sorry to break it to you guys, but it looks like OPM's normal maps are broken in OPM v2.0. :P They're reversed on the north/south direction it seems. The rest looks great though!

Not on my PC. The normal maps all follow the terrain. Do you means reversed in some other sense. Maybe take a screenshot and share it, so I can see what you mean?

6 hours ago, Warzouz said:

BTW : Plock and Karen doesn't seem to have any biome, is it intended ?

Yes. They will get them when I do a planned biome revamp. Will release them all together, so that all the biomes will work in the same way and everything feels coherent.

Edited by CaptRobau

33 minutes ago, CaptRobau said:

Not on my PC. The normal maps all follow the terrain. Do you means reversed in some other sense. Maybe take a screenshot and share it, so I can see what you mean?

Yes. They will get them when I do a planned biome revamp. Will release them all together, so that all the biomes will work in the same way and everything feels coherent.

You can see the problem in the screenshots of OPM 2.0 in the release album. The actual terrain shape looks fine, it's the shading that's off. It usually happens if you incorrectly convert them into .dds.

j6VFpJJ.png

If you look closely, you can see that the normal map has the lighting on those ridges coming from the south instead of from the sun, but the actual planet lighting is coming from the sun. This is true of all the planets, and really ruins the look in my opinion. It's even more obvious on the craters, though they're pretty small and hard to see on Slate.

Edited by GregroxMun

Unrelatedly, I tested the OPM universe with Principia's N-Body simulation, just for fun. It did better than I expected, but it did not do good.

Here's my report:

Plock and Karen system

• Despite Plock's solar orbit trajectory being spun all around due to Karen, the system is stable (it's only 2-body for all intents and purposes, after all). I didn't check, but I suspect that the 2:3 resonance of Plock and Neidon is broken from the initial kick of Karen.

Neidon system

• Neidon and Thatmo are fine.
  • Nissee looks unstable at first because of its trajectory wobbling around in sync with Thatmo's orbital period, but I suspect that's just because Nissee's orbital trajectory just isn't in the Neidon-Thatmo barycenter, and it would be fine otherwise. I didn't investigate it too much.

Urlum system

• Wal's trajectory wobbles a little bit due to how massive Polta is. But it's fine over many many years.
  • Polta and Priax remain in their co-orbital configuration despite the gravitational influences of the massive Wal. That's lagrange for you, I guess.
  • You might have expected that Tal would be in an unstable orbit. It's actually quite stable. Funny story, one of the main reasons Principia exists is because Egg wanted to know about the stability of Alternis Kerbol's moonlet Bop, which orbits Kerbin, which in turn orbits Jool. Turns out, it's one of the few parts of the system that's stable. The same is true for Tal.

Sarnus system

• Uh oh.
  • Both Ovok and Hale are very quickly torn into eccentric and inclined orbits, departing from their designated ring gaps.
  • This also leads me to believe that Sarnus' rings are unstable as well.
  • This is all Slate's fault.
  • Encethys (Eeloo's alternate name) holds relatively well at first, then its stability fails
  • Slate holds up fine. That big bully of a moon. :P
  • Tekto holds up fine, being in its distant orbit.
  • Conclusion: There's a reason Saturn's moons are so small. Slate is absolutely gigantic compared to the regular moons of Saturn. (well, accounting for the 1/10 rescale, of course)

I'm not saying you need to change the system based on this information. I will, however, act on it. In addition to the default compatibility patch for Revamped Stock Kerbol System which resolves the Eeloo conflict*, Revamped Stock Kerbol System v0.4 will also include an optional Revamped OPM patch, which will adjust the orbits and sizes of the OPM planets to better fit my Revamped universe instead of the stock universe. It will not change terrain and design of the planets, of course, and will not be redistributing anything in OPM.

*Both Outer Planets Mod and Revamped Stock Kerbol System changes Eeloo's appearance and orbit. To resolve this conflict, I rename OPM's Eeloo to Encethys, then restore the Eeloo template to default for RevampedStockSystem to use. Then I patch RevSS with a new orbit and description for Eeloo, and then patch Encethys to change the names in the planet's description text.

Edited by GregroxMun

@GregroxMun does your testing method show the Jool system as stable or unstable? Normally simulating it turn out unstable, with Vall getting quickly ejected. Scott Manley though reportedly claimed that by interpreting the orbital elements differently, it turned out stable. But it's unclear how he did it and nobody else seems able to reproduce, so he may have made an error.

That's very interesting. Going to try that mod out for myself. Want to see what you explain in action. Sounds fun!

I think the reason why the systems do relatively well (at least not everything is ejected within a year) is because I looked at the relative distances between the real-life counterparts when making them. Since those work in real-life, it helps offset the other stuff. I also moved Wal further out when I added Tal, because in the then configuration I roughly calculated that it would not be stable.

18 minutes ago, cantab said:

@GregroxMun does your testing method show the Jool system as stable or unstable? Normally simulating it turn out unstable, with Vall getting quickly ejected. Scott Manley though reportedly claimed that by interpreting the orbital elements differently, it turned out stable. But it's unclear how he did it and nobody else seems able to reproduce, so he may have made an error.

Jool's system in totally stock KSP+principia is unstable, but now principia changes the Jool system to make it stable. I was testing using Revamped Stock Kerbol System though, which I already have changed into stability before. Basically in order to make the jool system stable you gotta break the moons out of resonance. Principia does this automatically now. Lots of wobble, but it is stable over centuries. Also:

ALL HAIL RETRO-BOP!

But you're probably gonna want to go to the #Principia IRC and ask questions from the people who actually understand what's going on.

Edited by GregroxMun

@CaptRobau Congratulations with the 2.0 release (and CTTP), great timing with releasing it the moment I came back from my internship. Gonna dive in OPM tonight and enjoy it. :D

I think I can speak in name of all the OPM fans to say: Take a time off because you earned it.

Hey I would love to install this mod after watching some youtube vids on it. However, when I installed it (and kopernicus), I went into the tracking station, zoomed in on the planets, and found that they were just completely white. Also, there were no moons. The plants were just white spheres. I'm not that great with computers so I have no idea how to fix this...some help would be great thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.