[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

On 6/28/2016 at 4:00 AM, popos1 said:

Hello,

I have a random crash, with OPM 2.0, Kopernicus 1.1.2 (on 1.1.1 the same)

in crash logs is:

Cannot find preset 'Default' for pqs 'name of all planet'

and again

Log:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29006390/output_log.txt

What is wrong?

@CaptRobau I am experiencing something like the poster of the above quote almost every time I enter a building for the first time after loading KSP (and not at all after that until the next time I load KSP), and the crashes are increasing in frequency. The crash happens in the output_log immediately after saying Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Thatmo' ,or Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Karen'

Kopernicus is up-to-date on this install.

Edit: It may have been due to a residual SigmaBinary Core still being installed, even though I previously deleted the quite-obviously-after-seeing-Plock-and-Karen-drifting-off-their-visual-orbit-lines-but-not-their-actual-rails broken in 1.1.3 SigmaBinary itself. I know not if I fixed it, but uninstalling and reinstalling Kopernicus and OPM had mentioned SigmaBinary Core being uninstalled in CKAN when I uninstalled Kopernicus, and this time, there was no crash when I entered the tracking station.

Edited by LaytheDragon

11 hours ago, LaytheDragon said:

@CaptRobau I am experiencing something like the poster of the above quote almost every time I enter a building for the first time after loading KSP (and not at all after that until the next time I load KSP), and the crashes are increasing in frequency. The crash happens in the output_log immediately after saying Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Thatmo' ,or Cannot find preset 'High' for pqs 'Karen'

Kopernicus is up-to-date on this install.

Edit: It may have been due to a residual SigmaBinary Core still being installed, even though I previously deleted the quite-obviously-after-seeing-Plock-and-Karen-drifting-off-their-visual-orbit-lines-but-not-their-actual-rails broken in 1.1.3 SigmaBinary itself. I know not if I fixed it, but uninstalling and reinstalling Kopernicus and OPM had mentioned SigmaBinary Core being uninstalled in CKAN when I uninstalled Kopernicus, and this time, there was no crash when I entered the tracking station.

Yeah i do the same, and for now no crash, but update will be useful and so

:)

3 minutes ago, Chuck U. Farley said:

I've heard Urlum is in a retrograde orbit. Is this true? 

Because if it is, that would make it a VERY interesting challenge to pay it a visit. 

no it's in a regular (prograde) orbit.

5 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

no it's in a regular (prograde) orbit.

Aw . . . And I had such a great ship design in mind for if it was. 

Is there any way to do a file edit to make this happen? Surely all it'll take is assigning a negative value somewhere . . . 

1 minute ago, Chuck U. Farley said:

Aw . . . And I had such a great ship design in mind for if it was. 

Is there any way to do a file edit to make this happen? Surely all it'll take is assigning a negative value somewhere . . . 

just add 180 to the inclination :wink:

2 hours ago, Chuck U. Farley said:

Because if it is, that would make it a VERY interesting challenge to pay it a visit. 

You may have been thinking of Thatmo, a moon of Neidon meant to represent Neptune's moon Triton, which orbits retrograde

32 minutes ago, Gaiiden said:

You may have been thinking of Thatmo, a moon of Neidon meant to represent Neptune's moon Triton, which orbits retrograde

actually, a loooooooong time ago urlum was the one in a retrograde orbit.

On 21/12/2014 at 5:33 PM, CaptRobau said:

There are indeed science collection and contracts for the new planets, though it's a bit bland for now (no custom blurbs, etc.). If I have time I'll improve on the blandless. For now it'll have to do. Axial tilt is not possible with Kopernicus, so I gave Urlum a retrograde orbit as its weird orbital characteristic to make up for the lack of axial tilt.

but it was a short lived feature (iirc) and it's now a while that urlum sits on a prograde orbit

Edited by Sigma88

On 6/24/2016 at 1:54 AM, GregroxMun said:

Without having fixed the normal maps, I'm still quite reluctant to play OPM. I really want to play it though, so I guess I'll just have to re-export the normal maps myself.

@CaptRobau can you change OPM from using @Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus] to using @Kopernicus:FOR[OPM]?

I will

On 6/27/2016 at 7:58 PM, Sigma88 said:

@CaptRobau if you decide to embrace @GregroxMun's suggestion could you send me a pm or any kind of warning so that I can update GalacticNeighborhood configs? thanks

this is result from KSP 1.1.3 changes

now the tracking station informations are read from staticPressureASL rather than from the pressureCurve itself

or at least this is what I suppose it's happening

I will let you know. I'll also do the ASL change.

On 7/3/2016 at 1:15 AM, Chuck U. Farley said:

As others have said, that's no longer true. It's crazy that you picked up about this a year after it was a feature for a very short while.

17 minutes ago, _Krieger_ said:

Does this mod work in 1.1.3?

It's not officially updated to 1.1.3 yet so use at your own risk

that said, there are only a smaller amount of changes that were added to 1.1.3 planetwise, there will be a few discrepancies between what you read in the tracking station and what you experience ingame. other than that, no game breaking bug should occur.

in any case make sure you back up your saves if you care about them

2 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

It's not officially updated to 1.1.3 yet so use at your own risk

that said, there are only a smaller amount of changes that were added to 1.1.3 planetwise, there will be a few discrepancies between what you read in the tracking station and what you experience ingame. other than that, no game breaking bug should occur.

in any case make sure you back up your saves if you care about them

Thanks! I'm starting a new install so there shouldn't be any major issues.

Cheers!

On 7/4/2016 at 1:45 AM, CaptRobau said:

As others have said, that's no longer true. It's crazy that you picked up about this a year after it was a feature for a very short while.

Wait, IT WAS?! Aw, darn.

What changed? Because since OPM is an analog to our system, and with KSP not being able to model axial tilt, Urlum being retrograde was a neat analog how weird Uranus is. I loved the idea. 

Could you put it back? Because I've been to Tylo, Eve, and Moho, and a retrograde Gas Giant out past Jool sounds like an awesome challenge. I've even got an idea for a ship that hides behind the 10-meter heat shield. I really don't want to muck about with save files . . . 

47 minutes ago, Chuck U. Farley said:

Wait, IT WAS?! Aw, darn.

What changed? Because since OPM is an analog to our system, and with KSP not being able to model axial tilt, Urlum being retrograde was a neat analog how weird Uranus is. I loved the idea. 

Could you put it back? Because I've been to Tylo, Eve, and Moho, and a retrograde Gas Giant out past Jool sounds like an awesome challenge. I've even got an idea for a ship that hides behind the 10-meter heat shield. I really don't want to muck about with save files . . . 

I for one, would also like a retrograde planet. Hy, if you can have a sub-moon, you can have a retrgrade planet, right?

On the other hand, a big retrograde planet would be a very unique event: Basically, by current theory, such a planet would need to be an interloper into the system, so it would need to have been captured by Kerbol.  And if it was a big planet, this would have been a massive event in the system, destabilizing most of the orbits.  Such a system would likely look very weird, or very empty.

A more realistic retrograde orbiting body would be something like a comet - on a highly elliptical orbit, and of moderate mass.  Much easier to capture, and less likely to cause massive disruptions when it was captured.  (It could even have had assists from Jool or Urlum or others in it's capture.)  It would be as hard or harder to reach, and would be a very interesting body scientifically, but it's something that might actually occur without destabilizing the entire system.

This mod looks really tempting. I just have a few questions.

Is the current version compatible with KSP 1.1.3?

How much does this mod affect performance of lower-end computers?

This may be stingy, but can I get just the part of the mod that makes planets more detailed? I'm comfortable with the stock solar system so I'd like to keep the stock planets but upgrade their textures.

Thanks.

On 7/6/2016 at 2:10 PM, MCSquared said:

This mod looks really tempting. I just have a few questions.

Is the current version compatible with KSP 1.1.3?

How much does this mod affect performance of lower-end computers?

This may be stingy, but can I get just the part of the mod that makes planets more detailed? I'm comfortable with the stock solar system so I'd like to keep the stock planets but upgrade their textures.

Thanks.

1) Yes, for the most part. Have not run into any problems up to now but I have yet to orbit, de-orbit, land, etc on all the bodies. Expecting incompatibilities, hoping there are none.

2) Depends on your definition of "low end". Generally if you only use stock parts or add very few as well as keep the number of debris to a minimum one could expect a noticeable hit in fps. How much is acceptable is up to the player.

3) Check out Texture Replacer - dropping the textures into the relevant folders should do the trick.

Hey,

since I play with remote tech and consider modding the dish ranges, can anyone tell me the furthest distance Plock can get from Kerbol?

When OPM is combined with stock, it seems to be about 600Gm, when combined with NewHorizons it seems to be around 1100Gm, but those are very rough estimates.

Thank you very much!

Edited by Yemo

I have an idea (that probably will never happen anyways. :D)

You should add an Eris analogue, it would make for a nice challenge to get to, because it would be so far away! I also noticed that each planet farther from Kerbol has less moons than the last, Sarnus has 5, Urlum has 4, Neidon has 2, Plock has 1, so this dwarf planet would have no moons.

It's fine if you don't add this, this is just my opinion for what I want in this mod. :wink:

Edited by electricpants
Spelling correction

Love this mod! One little aspect I'm really happy with was initial placement on Day 0, Year 0 that makes it possible to send relatively low-tech probes to Sarnus and Urlum early in Career games. Very "Voyager 1 & 2"

On 07/12/2016 at 1:34 AM, tjt said:

Love this mod! One little aspect I'm really happy with was initial placement on Day 0, Year 0 that makes it possible to send relatively low-tech probes to Sarnus and Urlum early in Career games. Very "Voyager 1 & 2"

Sadly not so easy once some mods are added. KCT and RT conspire to make this less than possible :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.