[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

2 minutes ago, thedarkplayer said:

Is this mod compatible with 1.1.3?
Does this mod replace stock planets or only add the new ones?

the mod has not officially been updated to 1.1.3 so use at your own risk, but it *should* work fine

this mod only changes the stock system by:

- moving Eeloo around a new gas giant
- changing the science multipliers

everything else in the stock system is maintained untouched. (stuff is added only outside Jool's orbit)

since this mod messes with planets it goes without saying that you should at least back up your saves :wink:

Just now, thedarkplayer said:

So only ship in travel to eloo or landed at eloo are touched. right?

If I get the game mechanics in a right way, as long as your ship is out of Eeloo's sphere of influence, it stays untouched wherever it is

Just now, thedarkplayer said:

Other question: Does MechJeb work with the new planets?

Mechjeb works with everything, no matter how you twist it. It has no system map of its own: it always checks where any of the planets really is before plotting course for you.

8 minutes ago, thedarkplayer said:

Thank you for the answer.
Now I have kopernicus 1.1.3-1 (the last update) that I use for SVE e SVEterrain. In the OP that Outer Planet is designed for kopernicus 1.1.1, can I use it on kopernicus 1.1.3-1? Or i have to downgrade kopernicus down to 1.1.1?

older kopernicus wont work with 1.1.3. you can use the lastest and it will work fine

On 9/3/2016 at 3:21 PM, vovacat17 said:

Hi, everyone. Sometimes I make KSP videos about planet packs. I do it just for fun, I don't want to make videos regularly. But yesterday I decided to find a planet pack and send something to a distant world. I found Outer Planets... And I liked it. So... I just made a video, guys.

Now I'm planning a manned mission to this icy moon, so I ask you for ideas (ship design, other places to go, maybe some other stuff). CaptRobau, need your opinion, too. Maybe you want me to take a ship somewhere else...

P.S. English isn't my native language, sorry for all the grammar and/or spelling mistakes.

-Vovacat17

Super cool. I've only done mission by HyperEditing to far away orbits like that for testing. It's so cool to see someone actually doing a real rover mission that far out!

On 9/4/2016 at 5:10 AM, DStaal said:

I believe ore amounts are random in KSP (within limits) unless specified - and I don't see any specifications in the mod.  At least, not for the moons.  (Well, Tekto's got specified that there isn't any in it's lakes.)

It's as random as normal KSP is. It only disables resources for the same kind of environments as stock KSP: gas giant and oceans. If you have the following mod though it's more varied, as is the idea of that mod.

On 9/7/2016 at 6:15 AM, richfiles said:

Yeah... We'll give you a month or two... I know better! :sticktongue::rolleyes::wink:

Is it possible to spawn a "prodigious" number of asteroids within the rings? Basically, always perfectly match the ring/planet inclination, and have the periapsis and apoapsis bounds be the inner and outer bounds of the rings. Eccentricity should be near or always circular. I think if an asteroid manages to spawn in an orbit that could intersect a moon in the rings... Cool! Why not let objects collide.

Or maybe it already does this, and I missed it... I've said in the past. OPM is my reward (and incentive to hurry up) for finishing my desk mounted "cockpit" style controller.

If you have the following mod you get procedural asteroids spawning in the rings of Saturn, and to a lesser degree Urlum.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used this for so long, but there's a request I've only thought of just now. Do these planets have easter eggs? If not, I think they'd be a fun thing to promote more exploration. Like a big Monolith around the moved Eeloo, for instance. I don't know how the stock game handles them (or where it stores its planets, tbh), but KerbalKonstructs can take care of that.

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

3 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

I've used this for so long, but there's a request I've only thought of just now. Do these planets have easter eggs? If not, I think they'd be a fun thing to promote more exploration. Like a big Monolith around the moved Eeloo, for instance. I don't know how the stock game handles them (or where it stores its planets, tbh), but KerbalKonstructs can take care of that.

I know of at least one Monolith in OPM:

Spoiler

On Ovok

Edited by Just Jim

Wondering if the outer planets are later in the game targeted by the career mode's contract system. After looking inside the outer planet mod I have already learned that it does not come with any contract definitions.

Are there any mods out there which add more contracts depending on the presence of the outer planet one? Or is the stock game generating some contracts for them automatically?

1 hour ago, Fendrin said:

Wondering if the outer planets are later in the game targeted by the career mode's contract system. After looking inside the outer planet mod I have already learned that it does not come with any contract definitions.

Are there any mods out there which add more contracts depending on the presence of the outer planet one? Or is the stock game generating some contracts for them automatically?

The game is generating contracts for me, so it works.

On 25.9.2016 at 0:08 PM, Olympic1 said:

The game is generating contracts for me, so it works.

Nice to hear. What kind of contracts are generated? I try my hand on writing some additional contracts for OuterPlanets like a voyager like flyby tour and some Cassini/Huygens like missions. Still assuming that those are not autogenerated and that there is no other contract pack providing some.

Just wanted to let everyone know that my previous statement still stands, (I recall writing about this before at least, sorry if I'm wrong) I'm still working on ultra-HD normals for OPM planets. With Thatmo and Wal now out of the exporter, I should be able to upload it soon.

@CaptRobau should I send them to you in full-res, or should I send you downscaled versions that have normals with the same resolution as default OPM and make a separate thread for the HD normals, like another visual overhaul, but this time with Kopernicus rather than EVE, DOE, PS or Scatterer? I am planning on making a mod like that though, ultra-HD normals for the stock planets.

And that's totally not because I accidentally exported stock Kerbin's normal map at 4K once and realized how amazing it looks. :D

On 10/6/2016 at 9:45 PM, Dimetrodonscantfly said:

Could you add a hygnus lander on tekto

YES!!! It should be like sitting on the surface putting out communications or somethingtitan-landing-saturn-moon-huygens-orange.jpg?interpolation=lanczos-none&downsize=660:*

Also, Does this work for the new 1.2 Full update?

Edited by Starslinger999

11 minutes ago, ioresult said:

After seeing Starslinger999's reply, I think I understand that you mean the Huygens lander?

I think he changed the name on purpose, since it's sarnus' moon tekto and not saturn's moon titan

I've been looking for the mass of the planets/moons from OPM and can't find them anywhere, looked at the wiki but looks like the exponents are missing from the value.
The density seems to be right, I'll probably use that to calculate the mass.

The reason for all this is to input everything into the orbit calculator spreadsheet.

34 minutes ago, void_error said:

I've been looking for the mass of the planets/moons from OPM and can't find them anywhere, looked at the wiki but looks like the exponents are missing from the value.
The density seems to be right, I'll probably use that to calculate the mass.

The reason for all this is to input everything into the orbit calculator spreadsheet.

Check the kopernicus cfgs. The values might be in there 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.