[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

@CaptRobau looking at the configs from urlum it seems you never re-introduced the retrograde rotation

rotationPeriod = 41000

You removed it some time ago because it was reported as a buggy feature, I have played with retrograde rotating planets for a while and never had any issues, but I can't assure you those bugs are gone now

Edited by Sigma88

Priax doesn't seem to have any In Space Near biomes that are accessible.  I am at one of the lowest points according to the altimetry map and it is saying I am still 8800m ASL which is above the near/far space cut off.  The absolute lowest point i can find is at 8200m.  Shouldn't the lowest point be zero?  Or at least the near/far space cutoff higher than the highest point.  Is this as intended?

17 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

@CaptRobau looking at the configs from urlum it seems you never re-introduced the retrograde rotation

rotationPeriod = 41000

You removed it some time ago because it was reported as a buggy feature, I have played with retrograde rotating planets for a while and never had any issues, but I can't assure you those bugs are gone now

How interesting.

One thing that would be really interesting is if the stock contract generator would actually generate geostationary orbits for retrograde rotating planets correctly (i.e. the orbits are retrograde too), though I don't know if the stock codebase supports it.

Edited by Spheniscine

51 minutes ago, Spheniscine said:

How interesting.

One thing that would be really interesting is if the stock contract generator would actually generate geostationary orbits for retrograde rotating planets correctly (i.e. the orbits are retrograde too), though I don't know if the stock codebase supports it.

does stock give an inclination range when requesting stationary orbits?

if so it should be pretty simple (for SQUAD at least) to add a check that changes the inclination range from ie: -10/+10 to 170/190

On 12/12/2016 at 4:57 PM, Sigma88 said:

rotationPeriod = 41000

Thanks. I remember now. I've made so many changes to this mod over the months, it's hard to keep track.

On 12/13/2016 at 6:43 PM, Sigma88 said:

does stock give an inclination range when requesting stationary orbits?

if so it should be pretty simple (for SQUAD at least) to add a check that changes the inclination range from ie: -10/+10 to 170/190

It doesn't quite give an inclination range, but close enough; like all other stock satellite contracts it gives you an orbit to match that is visible in the map view and the tracking station. Additionally, stationary orbits have a requirement to end up over a specific spot on the parent world. There is some amount of tolerance in orbit matching; the higher the star rating, the tighter the tolerance is. (Exactly how the tolerance is defined is unclear though; I just try to match everything to at least 3 digits)

What you said still holds though; simply have to change the inclination of the target orbit from 0 to 180 degrees.

Edited by Spheniscine

1 hour ago, Spheniscine said:

It doesn't quite give an inclination range, but close enough; like all other stock satellite contracts it gives you an orbit to match that is visible in the map view and the tracking station. Additionally, stationary orbits have a requirement to end up over a specific spot on the parent world. There is some amount of tolerance in orbit matching; the higher the star rating, the tighter the tolerance is. (Exactly how the tolerance is defined is unclear though; I just try to match everything to at least 3 digits)

What you said still holds though; simply have to change the inclination of the target orbit from 0 to 180 degrees.

I think this might even be already possible to do with Contract configurator

@nightingale is probably more experienced on that side of stuff, I don't know much about contracts.

15 hours ago, baseballtjt said:

Hey so i downloaded everything as per the instructions, but when i went to load my game there were not outer planets.... Also eeloo was missing. Any help?

Try using the latest Kopernicus that was released for KSP 1.2.2! When KSP updated to 1.2.2 it broke Kopernicus but the new one works and any planet packs that were  on 1.2.1 now work again.

17 hours ago, Zachary13 said:

Are there any visual mods for v. 2.1 of Outer Planets?

@Sigma88 has a few mods for OPM, including one which changes the colors of the new planets so that they're NOT the same color as their real-life counterparts. Check out the links in his signature for details.

He's also got a mod which changes Jool's color to a Jupiter-esque golden brown.

On 18/12/2016 at 8:51 PM, amarius1 said:

Try using the latest Kopernicus that was released for KSP 1.2.2! When KSP updated to 1.2.2 it broke Kopernicus but the new one works and any planet packs that were  on 1.2.1 now work again.

Unfortunately, from main page (page 1) in description it's indicated:

This version of OPM works best with Kopernicus 1.2.1-1. We can't give proper technical support if you use a Kopernicus version that a particular OPM update wasn't designed for.

Lastest OPM is designed for KSP v1.2.1, also I've noticed every time OPM is updated, they are an updated Kopernicus too :lol: too bad...

Maybe CaptRobau will confirm us if OPM v2.1 is working fine on KSP 1.2.2 and Kopernicus Release 1 (7 Dec -v1.2.2.1) - TIA

Regards.

Dominique

Edited by DomiKamu

39 minutes ago, DomiKamu said:

Lastest OPM is designed for KSP v1.2.1, also I've noticed every time OPM is updated, they are an updated Kopernicus too :lol: too bad...

as far as I know Kopernicus 1.2.2-2 didn't introduce any syntax change that would break OPM, it should work fine with the latest KSP and Kopernicus versions

19 hours ago, DomiKamu said:

Unfortunately, from main page (page 1) in description it's indicated:

This version of OPM works best with Kopernicus 1.2.1-1. We can't give proper technical support if you use a Kopernicus version that a particular OPM update wasn't designed for.

Maybe CaptRobau will confirm us if OPM v2.1 is working fine on KSP 1.2.2 and Kopernicus Release 1 (7 Dec -v1.2.2.1) - TIA

Regards.

Dominique

Well when I updated Kopernicus, my Kerbol Origins pack had no issues whatsoever so I see no reason why OPM would. In the thread they recommend that version because that was the latest at the time.

1 hour ago, The Destroyer said:

It works fine for me except for one thing- in the map view, unless im zoomed out the outer planets orbits jitter hugely, flashing all over the screen. Playable, but highly annoying

This is a stock bug. Just you can barely notice it in stock while on some planet packs it gets very flashy and annoying

13 minutes ago, The Destroyer said:

Darn. Was it introduced in 1.2? I don't remember it in... 1.0 or so

I don't think it was, I remember seeing it in the past as well, but only after 1.2 it started freaking out so much with planet packs

this is the issue, the more people comment on this, the most likely it is to get looked at

http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/13101

Turns out I missed a spot in the commnet patch -- it needs an "@UPGRADES" block (see below).  Found myself "upgrading" my DMOS antennas and getting less range!  Oops.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]
	{
		@antennaPower *= 4

@UPGRADES
		{
			@UPGRADE,*
			{
				@antennaPower *= 4
			}
		}
	}
}

@CUSTOMBARNKIT
{	
	@TRACKING
	{
		@DSNRange = 2000000000, 50000000000, 2000000000000
	}
}

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 3:11 PM, ModerndayLink64 said:

Has anyone here been looking for EVE configs for Tekto that work in 1.2?

I wasn't until you mentioned it.  Now I am.  :)

Happy New Year folks!  I'm considering the possibility of a manual install of this mod over an otherwise mostly-CKAN very heavily modded KSP v1.2.2.  Are there any issues I should be aware of before I delve too far into a new career progression?  This mod seems to still be under active development, so I'm not asking on the status of any upgrades, I'm just trying to work off of some confusing metadata that I have at this point.  I downloaded the zipfile from SpaceDock, and the filename of the zip indicates v2.1, but OuterPlanetsMod.version indicates that this is v2.0.0.0?

At any rate, some casual playtesting in recent days uncovered no issue that I can knowably attribute to this mod, but an issue I am in the process of troubleshooting will in all likelihood require that I scrap my career playthrough to date and start over.  Given that, and my own versioning confusion above, I'm curious to check here to see if anyone can advise me with respect to this truly outstanding mod.

Edited to add: I'm curious if there's any change to the solar power curve in this mod -- will an otherwise-stock planetary system still make it so that solar panels will sort of be useful at Duna but useless further out than Duna?

Edited by MisterFister

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.