[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

5 minutes ago, toric5 said:

same thing on linux. how would you go about doing that? anyone have a python script for it, perchance? would someone like to maintain an alternate downloads? (i would, but college is not easy on the spare time)

I can do it. My last day of this semester was Friday so I have some time. Should be easy

I love this mod, it is beautiful. There is one thing that sort of bothers me, and it is that the rings around some of the planets do not have any depth and you can just pass through them. I suggest making them more like clouds but adding small rocks and chucks of ice to them, and when you pass through them it would take a while to fly completely through them. Just a suggestion though. 

@CaptRobau, would it be possible to update the SpaceDock distribution (https://spacedock.info/mod/233/Outer Planets Mod) to toggle that the mod is compatible with KSP 1.2.2, please? The max KSP version of 1.2.1 on Spacedock is stopping the mod from being listed on CKAN when using a KSP 1.2.2 build.

Additionally, I also realised that the .version file does not correspond showing a KSP version of 1.1.2: http://ksp-avc.cybutek.net/version.php?id=301. Would it be possible to update the listing for that on Cybutek's website at the same time?

If this okay I thank you greatly in advance. :D 

Edited by Poodmund

On 3/29/2017 at 2:53 PM, The Robot Soldier said:

I love this mod, it is beautiful. There is one thing that sort of bothers me, and it is that the rings around some of the planets do not have any depth and you can just pass through them. I suggest making them more like clouds but adding small rocks and chucks of ice to them, and when you pass through them it would take a while to fly completely through them. Just a suggestion though. 

It's not possible with what is currently available to modders. 

On 3/29/2017 at 9:53 PM, The Robot Soldier said:

Not only Kopernicus (which is the core mod that allows OPM's magic to work) doesn't allow it, but imagine the load. Those lumps have to be rendered.

Also, vessels pass through so fast it would attribute for a fragment of second of stuff whizzing by. Planetary rings are VERY thin and unless you're determined to destroy yourself by having a zero relative inclination, you're going at orbital speeds and you basically won't see anything.

It's not like in the opening of Star Trek: Voyager where every sense of reality has been tossed out the window.

The developer of scatterer is also working on a shader for planetary rings that make them turn in to noise when you get close, simulating rings being made up of little particles of rock and ice. It's not implemented yet but that's the end goal

7 minutes ago, Galileo said:

The developer of scatterer is also working on a shader for planetary rings that make them turn in to noise when you get close, simulating rings being made up of little particles of rock and ice. It's not implemented yet but that's the end goal

Is there a mod that adds clouds to opm?

I really like this mod, and a few days ago I tried my hand at tweaking some code to make a Proteus analog for Neidon. It's not working at all, I assume due to the missing cache file. My current approach is copying Nissee and changing some variables. How would I best go about making this new body?

Per a suggestion from the folks over at Galileo's Planet Pack, y'all might be interested in the following:

Spoiler

This mod adds long-range antennas using stock assets to facilitate communications networks for planet packs larger than the stock solar system. This allows the player to extend, rather than replace, the stock antenna progression, making long-range relays possible without trivializing inner-system communications.

• The RA-500 weighs 1.3 tons and has range rating of 500 Gm. It has a 1.25m bottom node and fits in a 5m fairing (i.e. it's a 2x rescaled RA-15.)
  • The RA-2500 weighs 2.6 tons and has a range rating of 2.5 Tm. It has a 2.5m bottom node and fits in a 7.5m fairing (i.e. it's a 2x rescaled RA-100.)
  • The RA-12500 weighs 5.2 tons and has a range rating of 12.5 Tm. It has a 2.5m bottom node and fits in a 10m fairing (i.e. its a 4x rescaled RA-15.)

As an incidental benefit, these antennas offer progressively better transmission performance than the stock relay antennas, particularly in terms of ElectricCharge consumed per Mit transmitted.

The enormous size of these antennas demands an unconventional approach to deployment. Possibilities include:

• Off-world manufacturing via mods such as Extraplanetary LaunchpadsOSE Workshop, or Ground Construction.
  • Oversized launch vehicles such as AB Launchers (5m), DIRECT (5m & 7.5m), or SpaceY Lifters/SpaceY Expanded (5m, 7.5m, & 10m). To facilitate the simultaneous launch of multiple satellites, this mod adds stock fairings (including interstage trusses) resized to 5m, 7.5m, and 10m diameters.
  • In case none of the above appeal to you, compact deployable versions of all three antennas are provided (via rescaling of the Communotron 88-88 to 0.625m, 0.9375m, and 1.25m.)

As the new antennas are substantially more powerful than the stock Deep Space Network, three additional levels of the Tracking Station are provided via the Custom Barn Kit (not included.) These allow the player to choose between launching local relays or simply boosting the DSN.

• Level 4 of the Tracking Station costs 2,111,000 Funds and boosts the DSN's range rating to 1.25 Tm.
  • Level 5 of the Tracking Station costs 7,916,000 Funds and boosts the DSN's range rating to 6.25 Tm.
  • Level 6 of the Tracking Station costs 29,685,000 Funds and boosts the DSN's range rating to 31.25 Tm.

This presents alternatives at several performance points to the excellent JX2 Large Deployable Antenna. These parts are generally cheaper and less massive than the JX2 for their range with the trade-off of being much bulkier and far less visually distinctive.

As a bonus, I've included a half-scale version of the RA-2 antenna that has the stats of the HG-5. This alternate handle-free form factor for the HG-5 fits better on compact probe assemblies as small as 0.3125m. Also included for launching miniature relays is a 0.625m fairing; I recommend RLA Stockalike for 0.625m launch vehicles.

Installation and Requirements

To install, copy the files to your GameData folder.

This mod requires ModuleManager (not included.) Custom Barn Kit is required for the extended tracking station progression, but otherwise optional.

I don't think adding planet packs to saves breaks anything unless you have spacecraft orbiting bodies that have been moved around. Everywhere except for Eeloo should be unchanged and even then, if they were outside Eeloo's new SOI would just be captured by Sarnus, probably, or at least that's all that happened in my experience.

Edited by Jack Joseph Kerman

On 3/23/2017 at 2:51 AM, Galileo said:

You have to change the textures to PNG and make sure the directories in the cfgs are also pointing to PNGs instead of DDS. That is the only true fix I have found so far for this problem. It uses more ram but that's not that big of a deal 

Ah yes. Still have to do this too.

This combined with my previous TODO will be what I'll be working on next weekend.

I am interested to add this to my modded career game, but what will happen to my probe orbiting eeloo, and will it affect other parts of the save? Some people says the probe will be captured by Sarnus, but how will the game treat it?

Edited by RandomGamer123

5 hours ago, RandomGamer123 said:

I am interested to add this to my modded career game, but what will happen to my probe orbiting eeloo, and will it affect other parts of the save? Some people says the probe will be captured by Sarnus, but how will the game treat it?

Depending of where your probe orbits eeloo it will either stay in the same orbit (if it is inside eeloo's SOI in OPM) or it will get its orbit messed up (if it is outside eeloo SOI in OPM)

It's impossible to predict what will happen exactly

On 3/26/2017 at 8:58 PM, Galileo said:

I can do it. My last day of this semester was Friday so I have some time. Should be easy

semester ends in 2 weeks for me, would be happy to help out with the conversion.

Here is the OpenGL version of OPM for Mac & Linux users. I converted all terrain and planet textures from dds to png. In the cfgs, I only changed the extension type, everything else is exactly the same.

@CaptRobau if you just want to host this link in the OP to make it easy on you, feel free. I don't mind maintaining it or updating it whenever you get to updating your core version. Or if you would rather take it into your hands, go for it!

DOWNLOAD

Edited by Galileo

4 hours ago, Galileo said:

Here is the OpenGL version of OPM for Mac & Linux users. I converted all terrain and planet textures from dds to png. In the cfgs, I only changed the extension type, everything else is exactly the same.

@CaptRobau if you just want to host this link in the OP to make it easy on you, feel free. I don't mind maintaining it or updating it whenever you get to updating your core version. Or if you would rather take it into your hands, go for it!

DOWNLOAD

You can also create it as an addon for OPM. Should I do that real quick? All that's necessary at that point is placing this extra folder in GameData.

Also, did you remember that DDS textures seem to be flipped verically upon getting loaded by KSP?

4 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

You can also create it as an addon for OPM. Should I do that real quick? All that's necessary at that point is placing this extra folder in GameData.

Also, did you remember that DDS textures seem to be flipped verically upon getting loaded by KSP?

I'm not sure I'm understanding. An addon? 

Edited by Galileo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.