[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

24 minutes ago, Galileo said:

doing it that way hurts the end user performance wise. you don't want a bunch of unused textures in your GameData

That is correct. It's kind of a damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't scenario:

- less performance, easier to maintain

versus

- better pefrormance, harder to maintain

Thing is CaptRobau will have to make all edits twice. This is mostly because the planet maps of OPM are distributed the way they are. I personally create a single PluginData folder in my mods to keep everything organized.

47 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

That is correct. It's kind of a damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't scenario:

- less performance, easier to maintain

versus

- better pefrormance, harder to maintain

As much as people complain about performance on these forums, I try to take all the necessary steps to make performance a priority. If i dont, @Poodmund yells at me! :D

Thing is CaptRobau will have to make all edits twice. This is mostly because the planet maps of OPM are distributed the way they are.

But, he doesn't. Let me try to explain.

He can use the exact same cfgs as his windows version. Once he is done making edits to his windows version all he has to do is make a copy of the entire OPM folder, then go into each cfg, hit Ctrl+H replace .dds with .png and its done. Now he just has to replace the dds textures in the PluginData folders with the png textures. Double Done! Took me 15 minutes to do yesterday. The part that takes the longest is waiting for the textures to convert from dds to png. To me, that's not hard to maintain. If CaptRobau ever decides to change a texture, all he would have to do is remember to also save the texture as a png as well. easy peasy.

I dont see anything difficult about how OPM distributes its planet textures. Its compartmentalized and organized by celestial body. Makes finding the textures for a specific body easy without having to skim through all the planet textures at once. It makes sense to me, but to each there own :)

Edited by Galileo

On 19/03/2017 at 11:43 PM, CaptRobau said:

What can I fix/improve for the next update? I have a list of stuff already (see below) but I was wondering if other bugs, etc. have been found recently.

A bit late, but to add to the list of bugs, Sarnus' biomes are a bit wonky:

On 06/03/2017 at 6:29 AM, voicey99 said:

Biomes on Sarnus look to be a bit borked-the Polar Zones are part of the Hexagon, the Great White Spot doesn't exist, the Temperate Belts are replaced by Polar Zones, the Temperate Zones are replaced by Tropical Belts and the Tropical Zones, Tropical Belts and Equatorial Zone are all replaced by Polar Zones.

And @The White Guardian I didn't know there was a 1.2 version of OPM-VO. If there is, where is it?

I'd just come to post about it myself and saw voicey99 had already posted about it

Just now, Rodger said:

A bit late, but to add to the list of bugs, Sarnus' biomes are a bit wonky:

Yeah, I'm not sure whether to hold off on my multi-atmodiver mission to Sarnus until the biomes are fixed or do it anyway with just three biomes to see.

Well I changed the colour values in the biome definition to match the biome map, and tried to make it into a MM patch, but I couldn't get it to work as a patch. So I just edited the original Sarnus config at /OPM/KopernicusConfigs/OuterPlanets/Configs/Sarnus.cfg

So @voicey99 and others, if you want somewhat fixed Sarnus biomes too, paste this into the corresponding part of that ^ config file:

Spoiler

Biome
                {
                    name = Polar Hexagon
                    value = 1.0
                    color = #d5b59e
                }
                Biome
                {
                    name = Polar Zones
                    value = 1.0
                    color = #d5b19b
                }
                Biome
                {
                    name = Temperate Belts
                    value = 1.0
                    color = #c5857a
                }
                Biome
                {
                    name = Temperate Zones
                    value = 1.0
                    color = #daa191
                }
                Biome
                {
                    name = Equatorial Zone
                    value = 1.0
                    color = #dc907b
                }
                Biome
                {
                    name = Tropical Bands
                    value = 1.0
                    color = #d47f6e
                }
                Biome
                {
                    name = Tropical Zones
                    value = 1.0
                    color = #be7360
                }
                Biome
                {
                    name = Great White Spot
                    value = 1.0
                    color = #eec1ac
                }

I'm not too sure on which biomes are meant to go where, so this is just my best guess, but you'll be able to actually get all the biomes now. I think the main issue will be the 'Polar Hexagon' biome, which seems like it should be the north pole, but both polar areas of the biome map are the same colour, and I didn't quite want to edit the biome map, so Polar Hexagon is now set to the border of the polar zones.

I also play with @Poodmund's OPMVO, and there isn't an obvious Great White Spot with those textures, but the biome is at least there now!

33 minutes ago, Rodger said:

Well I changed the colour values in the biome definition to match the biome map, and tried to make it into a MM patch, but I couldn't get it to work as a patch. So I just edited the original Sarnus config at /OPM/KopernicusConfigs/OuterPlanets/Configs/Sarnus.cfg

So @voicey99 and others, if you want somewhat fixed Sarnus biomes too, paste this into the corresponding part of that ^ config file:

Reveal hidden contents

Biome
                {
                    name = Polar Hexagon
                    value = 1.0
                    color = #d5b59e
                }
                Biome
                {
                    name = Polar Zones
                    value = 1.0
                    color = #d5b19b
                }
                Biome
                {
                    name = Temperate Belts
                    value = 1.0
                    color = #c5857a
                }
                Biome
                {
                    name = Temperate Zones
                    value = 1.0
                    color = #daa191
                }
                Biome
                {
                    name = Equatorial Zone
                    value = 1.0
                    color = #dc907b
                }
                Biome
                {
                    name = Tropical Bands
                    value = 1.0
                    color = #d47f6e
                }
                Biome
                {
                    name = Tropical Zones
                    value = 1.0
                    color = #be7360
                }
                Biome
                {
                    name = Great White Spot
                    value = 1.0
                    color = #eec1ac
                }

I'm not too sure on which biomes are meant to go where, so this is just my best guess, but you'll be able to actually get all the biomes now. I think the main issue will be the 'Polar Hexagon' biome, which seems like it should be the north pole, but both polar areas of the biome map are the same colour, and I didn't quite want to edit the biome map, so Polar Hexagon is now set to the border of the polar zones.

I also play with @Poodmund's OPMVO, and there isn't an obvious Great White Spot with those textures, but the biome is at least there now!

That config is written vertically, Sarnus.cfg is written left to right so you have to enter the values manually, but it works :). I can't find any trace of the hexagon, though.

Edited by voicey99

I'm confused about the dds/png conversation- I'm on Linux + Nvidia and I feel like I should be seeing problems but I'm not. Are the issues not glaringly obvious? I'd like to see a screenshot. The stock textures from Squad are all dds files and they work, so the question is why wouldn't these? Is dds like tiff in that there are a ton of options, and the dds files simply need to follow a certain standard to work cross platform? *just opened a dds in Gimp and yes there are many options. My guess would be that Squad saves dds in a certain way that works across the board, some modders save them in a way that breaks in very specific setups, eg. Unix systems with AMD graphics. If I'm right figuring out which checkboxes to set when opening/saving the dds format could save some work.

Edited by Waxing_Kibbous

I've noticed a strage bug today - all bodies look like Kerbin from afar. They all look ok from a close view but there is a zoom level where this happens:

hM8J6Lt.gif

To be clear - we have Mun on the picture above. One more person has reported this issue:

This weird glitch disappears when I remove OPM and reappears again with it installed (via CKAN).

Edited by Raphaello

On 4/17/2017 at 8:39 AM, Waxing_Kibbous said:

I'm confused about the dds/png conversation- I'm on Linux + Nvidia and I feel like I should be seeing problems but I'm not. Are the issues not glaringly obvious? I'd like to see a screenshot. The stock textures from Squad are all dds files and they work, so the question is why wouldn't these? Is dds like tiff in that there are a ton of options, and the dds files simply need to follow a certain standard to work cross platform? *just opened a dds in Gimp and yes there are many options. My guess would be that Squad saves dds in a certain way that works across the board, some modders save them in a way that breaks in very specific setups, eg. Unix systems with AMD graphics. If I'm right figuring out which checkboxes to set when opening/saving the dds format could save some work.

The problem was having the textures inside of a PluginData folder, not the way we were saving, surprisingly. I have updated my repo with the fixes. @CaptRobau I can transfer the github repo to you if you want or you can just download and host it on spacedock if you want.

This interim update allows OpenGl users (mac and linux) use dds textures and reduce ram usage!

DOWNLOAD

Edited by Galileo

1 hour ago, TheRedTom said:

@CaptRobau is OPM compatible with Sigma Dimensions?

What @Galileo means by

49 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Everything is compatible with sigma dimensions if you know how to write the cfg

is that SD is designed to work with any planet pack, as long as that planet pack's cfgs are written properly

In OPM's case they are written properly which means it should be compatible with SD

hello, i have a question.

what do i have to do if i wan`t the stock antenna ranges in OPM? i want to use a antenna-mod for greater ranges, and i like the vanilla-ranges for early gameplay.

and second, do i need Custom Barn Kit then?

thank you

Edited by Smarti

If you want to disable OPM's antenna changes, you can rename the file 'OPM_CommNet.cgf' in the OPM folder to 'OPM_CommNet.txt'

Unsure if you'd need CBK if the range modifiers are disabled though, but it probably wouldn't do any harm to leave it in just in case.

Edited by Rodger

35 minutes ago, Rodger said:

If you want to disable OPM's antenna changes, you can rename the file 'OPM_CommNet.cgf' in the OPM folder to 'OPM_CommNet.txt'

Unsure if you'd need CBK if the range modifiers are disabled though, but it probably wouldn't do any harm to leave it in just in case.

Thank`s for the fast answer. I tested out a bit and noticed that Custom BarnKit doe´s nothing to the antenna ranges. They stay twice the size as stock, no matter if i have it installed or not.

Edit: It seems Custom BarnKit affects the Tracking Station Range. So i think i need this for reaching the outer Planets later in the game but can patch out the 4x factor from OPM for stock antennas and fill the hole with a antenna mod. When i do not use CBK my Tracking station range would be to short for this. Is that right?

Edited by Smarti

Yeah, CBK is what lets OPM modify the tracking station power, with the patch I mentioned. So if you want the tracking station boost you still need that patch active, but you could delete the antenna power part of it. However with a powerful enough antenna from a mod you probably don't even need the tracking station boost. I use this one https://spacedock.info/mod/1107/JX2Antenna

Just now, Rodger said:

Yeah, CBK is what lets OPM modify the tracking station power, with the patch I mentioned. So if you want the tracking station boost you still need that patch active, but you could delete the antenna power part of it. However with a powerful enough antenna from a mod you probably don't even need the tracking station boost. I use this one https://spacedock.info/mod/1107/JX2Antenna

Thats what i mean , thanks a lot. It is the one i want to try out, too. So i do not need Custom BarnKit?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.