[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Hey Galileo, thanks again for this pack!

Just wondering if the Kopernicus version (1.2.1-1) recommendation on the OP is still accurate for 1.3?
I'm using OPM1.2.1 with Kopernicus v1.3.0-6 BTW

This isn't a error report, so much as a 'BTW this is happening in the logs'. I was checking the logs on my heavily modded game for a separate issue not related to OPM when I found these. I saw a few NREs popping up in the log regarding something to do with rings (shown below), but I don't think it's affecting gameplay as I still see the ring around Sarnus.

[LOG 13:44:49.330] [OD] ERROR: getting pixelFloatD with unloaded map Plock_height (G) for Plock of path OPM/OPM_Textures/PluginData/Plock_height.dds, autoload = True
[LOG 13:44:49.335] [OD] ---> Map Plock_height (G) for Plock enabling self. Path = OPM/OPM_Textures/PluginData/Plock_height.dds
[LOG 13:44:49.337] [OD] ERROR: getting pixelFloatD with unloaded map Karen_height (G) for Karen of path OPM/OPM_Textures/PluginData/Karen_height.dds, autoload = True
[LOG 13:44:49.341] [OD] ---> Map Karen_height (G) for Karen enabling self. Path = OPM/OPM_Textures/PluginData/Karen_height.dds
[EXC 13:44:49.354] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	Kopernicus.Components.Ring.Update ()
[EXC 13:44:49.358] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 13:44:49.498] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 13:44:49.499] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[LOG 13:44:49.504] [Kopernicus]: Post-Spawn
[LOG 13:44:49.508] Found max distance 675150469668.36
[EXC 13:44:49.512] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 13:44:49.513] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 13:44:49.524] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 13:44:49.525] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I've paired all my mods down to just OPM and Kopernicus to test and was still seeing the NRE errors as well as some other issues like preset default not being found and pixelFloatD.

Log File for just OPM & Kopernicus test  -> https://ufile.io/hos7g 

1 hour ago, wile1411 said:

Hey Galileo, thanks again for this pack!

Just wondering if the Kopernicus version (1.2.1-1) recommendation on the OP is still accurate for 1.3?
I'm using OPM1.2.1 with Kopernicus v1.3.0-6 BTW

This isn't a error report, so much as a 'BTW this is happening in the logs'. I was checking the logs on my heavily modded game for a separate issue not related to OPM when I found these. I saw a few NREs popping up in the log regarding something to do with rings (shown below), but I don't think it's affecting gameplay as I still see the ring around Sarnus.

[LOG 13:44:49.330] [OD] ERROR: getting pixelFloatD with unloaded map Plock_height (G) for Plock of path OPM/OPM_Textures/PluginData/Plock_height.dds, autoload = True
[LOG 13:44:49.335] [OD] ---> Map Plock_height (G) for Plock enabling self. Path = OPM/OPM_Textures/PluginData/Plock_height.dds
[LOG 13:44:49.337] [OD] ERROR: getting pixelFloatD with unloaded map Karen_height (G) for Karen of path OPM/OPM_Textures/PluginData/Karen_height.dds, autoload = True
[LOG 13:44:49.341] [OD] ---> Map Karen_height (G) for Karen enabling self. Path = OPM/OPM_Textures/PluginData/Karen_height.dds
[EXC 13:44:49.354] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 13:44:49.358] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 13:44:49.498] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 13:44:49.499] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[LOG 13:44:49.504] [Kopernicus]: Post-Spawn
[LOG 13:44:49.508] Found max distance 675150469668.36
[EXC 13:44:49.512] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 13:44:49.513] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 13:44:49.524] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 13:44:49.525] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I've paired all my mods down to just OPM and Kopernicus to test and was still seeing the NRE errors as well as some other issues like preset default not being found and pixelFloatD.

Log File for just OPM & Kopernicus test  -> https://ufile.io/hos7g 

Kopernicus is version locked which means running kopernicus 1.2.x on ksp 1.3.x will result in kopernicus disabling itself

Edited by Sigma88

10 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

Kopernicus is version locked which means running kopernicus 1.2.x on ksp 1.3.x will result in kopernicus disabling itself

You should be getting an error message saying exactly this when you start the game

I'm running KSP 1.3.0 but I'm not seeing any message about Kopernicus disabling itself. Would that be in the log file? I thought it was version locked not to run on the prerelease KSP 1.3.1 (which I'm not using) but was fine on KSP 1.3.0. 

Apologies in advance if I'm misunderstanding the kopernicus version limitations. I figured with OPM being recently being released for 1.3 (issues aside) that it was working with the most recently available Kopernicus version (v1.3.0-6)

Let me know if I need to 'downground' Kopernicus though. The main thing I wanted to check was that I had everything installed fine for these two together. The OP comment about version 1.2.1 got me confused and figured I'd ask if it was out of date.

Edited by wile1411

12 hours ago, wile1411 said:

Apologies in advance if I'm misunderstanding the kopernicus version limitations. I figured with OPM being recently being released for 1.3 (issues aside) that it was working with the most recently available Kopernicus version (v1.3.0-6)

kopernicus versioning have been made very explicit to avoid any kind of confusion:you need to make sure the first 3 numbers from Kopernicus version and KSP version are the same:

KSP 1.3.0
Kopernicus 1.3.0-4
COMPATIBLE

KSP 1.3.0
Kopernicus 1.2.1-4
NOT COMPATIBLE

12 hours ago, wile1411 said:

Let me know if I need to 'downground' Kopernicus though. The main thing I wanted to check was that I had everything installed fine for these two together. The OP comment about version 1.2.1 got me confused and figured I'd ask if it was out of date.

the best way to make sure you don't encounter bugs would be to use the Kopernicus version that was live at the time of the latest release

in this case, since the mod has not been updated from the author for almost a year, it's probably best to refer to information provided in the post linking to the new version developed by a different author (in this case, @Galileo )

TLDR: I think the latest version of kopernicus will be just fine if you are using OPM_Galileo

Edited by Sigma88

Thanks @Sigma88, your response initially had me very confused, but I think I got you now. The bit I was missing was that I didn't realize the OP wasn't @Galileo and obviously cant update that. So apologies for my dunceness.

Ok, so from what you mentioned, I should be all fine with what I'm using. So I get my terminology correct, I'm using Galileo_OPM v1.2.1 from two pages back with Kopernicus 1.3.0_6 on KSP 1.3.0. (Log file in previous post)

Thanks to both you and Galileo to looking into things like this. To check I'm giving the information in the right place, and as I'm not sure if the NREs and other errors appearing in the log are to do with this planet pack specifically, is there any point I the future that I should post some info to the Kopernicus forum? Or should I leave that to the Modders? 

Edited by wile1411

I had an interesting thought... Maybe something for future versions of OPM, when the existing planets and moons are fully fleshed out...

With recent news about the dwarf planet Haumea having been observed to likely have rings, I'm thinking, maybe a future version of OPM ought to give some love to the deeper Kuiper belt dwarf planets. Everyone loves little old Pluto, but I think the scientific community intentionally segregating these smaller dwarf planets from the total planet count actually inhibits the public's interest in learning about them. Pluto is the figurative lead singer of a Kuiper belt band, and the poor guitarist, drummer, and keyboardist just ain't getting as much of the spotlight.

Anyway, I think Eris, Makemake, and Haumea deserve some love too, and maybe, in a distant future, they could get stockalike worlds in OPM, much as how Pluto has Plock. It's quite obvious that reaching those worlds would take an incredible degree of effort, and that challenge would be amazing. If I'm not mistaken, Eris from Neptune is at least as far as Neptune from the Sun! They're far out, man! :D

Given the newfound complexity and uniqueness that we've been discovering about these Kuiper belt worlds... Well, I think they could serve as awesome destinations in KSP! Haumea is apparently egg shaped, with the long side being about the same length as Pluto's diameter. There's also it's newly discovered rings, and it has at least two tiny moons. Eris is around the same size as Pluto, but is denser, so would likely be a very rocky world. With one of the highest albedos measured in the Kuiper belt, it's very likely covered with very recently formed (geologically speaking) ice. It has at least one moon, and coming up with a name for the stockalikes could be fun, seeing as it and it's one known moon have both had both an informal name, and an official name. Makemake is about 2/3 pluto's size, and is believed to be covered in multiple types of ice... Methane, ethane, and nitrogen, at least. It has at least one moon as well, and while it doesn't have an official name, outside of a technical label, Makemake's moon does have the nickname "MK 2"... That's begging to be named after a KSP command module! :sticktongue:

Anyway, I know there are other interesting objects out there, like Sedna, Quaoar, Orcus, Salacia, Varuna, Varda, Ixion... I mean, to be fair, yeah, there's like, A LOT of them. Honestly though, honoring the biggest ones would be amazing. That's why I really would love to see Plock get three Kuiper belt neighbors, someday. Maybe think about it for the future. There's no rush, as OPM is already incredible, but I'll gladly accept the theory of an ever expanding KSP universe! :wink:
Maybe someday?

Edited by richfiles

On 10/7/2017 at 1:11 PM, SilverlightPony said:

This version is on hold.  In the meantime, someone else forked it, but even that version is only up to 1.3.0.

In most cases a given planet pack will continue to function across many versions of KSP and Kopernicus. OPM as is, and OPM_Galileo will even work in KSP 1.3.1 because Kopernicus puts plenty emphasis on backwards compatibility, and OPM does not: add a star; use lots of code for terrain details; or have its own included visual pack to maintain too.

@richfiles Find a planet modder who shares your dream......Or become that planet modder. :wink: 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a quick question. Is there any way to get clouds on Tekto? I've got everything working thanks to you guys but I'm also using the KSPRC pack for visuals. I had a look at the cloud configs that had been made for all the visual packs but I can't seem to get it to work. 

Any suggestions? 

Also thanks for keeping this mod going.

1 hour ago, DaveyLeo10 said:

Just a quick question. Is there any way to get clouds on Tekto? I've got everything working thanks to you guys but I'm also using the KSPRC pack for visuals. I had a look at the cloud configs that had been made for all the visual packs but I can't seem to get it to work. 

Any suggestions? 

Also thanks for keeping this mod going.

I'm guessing you're referring to OPMclouds. That's quite the old cloud pack for OPM, it does not function with the latest KSPRC as it was built for an older version. Try OPM-VO instead.

On 12/14/2017 at 4:17 PM, themaster401 said:

I'm guessing you're referring to OPMclouds. That's quite the old cloud pack for OPM, it does not function with the latest KSPRC as it was built for an older version. Try OPM-VO instead.

Thank you I didn't know that even existed so I'm all set :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hello old friends,

I’ve been gone far too long, but I couldn’t leave the community like this; so here’s a big post with an update about me and OPM.

The community
Just to get it out of the way, I do feel like I left you people out in the cold. My silent exit from the community was a result of me getting burned out on KSP, feeling guilty about not stopping by the forums anymore and getting rusty with the modding tools.

The KSP community deserves much more than that, so I finally decided to write this and get the ball rolling on how to preserve and continue OPM. More on that in the final paragraph, first an update on what else has been going on with my life.

Personal life
My personal life has had its ups and down. On the one hand I wasn’t given a new contract after 2 years working at my current job. It was a great place to work at and I’ll miss it, but the economy is strong and I have no doubt I’ll find something that fits me in the coming months.

On the other hand me and my girlfriend finally got around to officially having our own place, after being in a relationship together for 7 years. That evens out a lot :D

My game
As I mentioned the last time I commented on my future, I have been working on a game of my own. In the early months it was more about finding the right concept and the right engine to work with. A few things didn’t work out, but this is par for the course in game development.

For a while I’ve been working on a concept and have been developing it beyond the initial stages. Its working title is Desktop Monsters. Like Stardew Valley before it, Desktop Monsters tries to bring an underused genre to PC: that of the monster fighting/collecting RPG.

This genre of RPG has become stale in recent years and it has never had much of a PC presence, so I thought I’d have a crack at it. To make this game I’m using RPG Maker MV, an updated version of the engine that was used to make great games like To the Moon and OneShot, as well as many fan-made Pokémon games. It’s easy to get started with, but can do quite a lot once you get into it.

It might seem like a departure from what I did with OPM, but it’s surprisingly similar. Both projects rely heavily on making clear systems: just as the moons and planets I built had to follow certain rules, so does the day-night cycle influence what NPCs show up or what monsters you will encounter.

At the moment I’m working on the various gameplay mechanics that the game needs. Once it becomes more visual, more like the final product, I’ll have something to show off to you guys.

The future of OPM
The things above are what is keeping me busy these days. Because of this I don’t have the time to work on OPM anymore. Poodmund contacted me a while ago and came up with a great idea about this: turn OPM in to a open source project to ensure its longevity.

I think that the best thing would be if I didn’t have a too important role in managing an updated OPM. I suggest a small team of people with managing rights of an open source repository. That way the mod would continue to be updateable, even if someone falls off the face of the earth (like I did).

Also could someone update me on the state of (Kopernicus) modding scene these past months? I have no idea what’s been going on and it’s a bit too gargantuan task to read back all the forum threads :D

Thank you so much for the update Capt! It's always a bummer to see great modders silently drop off and although that is simply the way of things due to life in general it's good to see some of them come back, even if only to let us know what the deal is. Appreciate all the work you've done for OPM and the fact that you want to see it transitioned to a platform that can continue to receive proper support from this awesome community into the future. Best of luck with your game - be sure to drop by gamedev.net for plenty of advice and support - I used to fill an Executive Producer role there managing the community and content for over a decade and it was kind of my own "silent exit" where I'd feel weird showing up and posting after being away for a while so I totally understand that feeling. :)

Edited by Drew Kerman

@CaptRobau It's nice to see a post from you after so long. Your wish for OPM to be maintained by others is somewhat already fulfilled. It's already in a few very capable hands. @Galileo and myself currently maintain OPM and CTTP, with some major contribution from @Gameslinx, owner of two and a half three very awesome planet packs of his own, and @Poodmund who is still active and keeping OPM-VO current.

Galileo and I have done the following for OPM so far:

• Update resource configs
  • Update ResearchBodies config
  • Updates wherever needed (mainly in in-game texts) to keep up with Kopernicus releases
  • Fixes to Tekto regarding its ocean
  • Provide support for Localization (so OPM things can easily become readable to non-English players, this is no small feat)
  • Much more in the changelog if you go to its download link
  • Keeping it hyped as an expansion to Galileo's Planet Pack

As for Kopernicus, it has come a long way since you were last around. Kopernicus is much more stable now and allows for: many new features in planet making; proper solar panel support for multiple stars; starlight falloff so far-off planets can actually be dark; better ring shader; planets can have a separate display name from the actual body name; and is now phasing out Flight Globals Index: when planets are added or removed mid-game, Kopernicus will remember which planet a craft is orbiting by a fixed name, not a random number.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

@CaptRobau if the above is ok with you, and you want a collaborator role on github to make changes as you see fit, I have no problem doing that for you. This will allow you to make changes, releases, and whatever else you want. :) just let me know

Edited by Galileo

@CaptRobau Great to hear you're doing alright, and it's wonderful to see you return one more time.

(Especially since I learned the basics of Kopernicus from OPM... takes a knee in respect)

Having a small team of developers sounds like a great idea to me, and I'd personally love to help out wherever I can. :)

First off a happy New Year to all of you!

21 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

Thank you so much for the update Capt! It's always a bummer to see great modders silently drop off and although that is simply the way of things due to life in general it's good to see some of them come back, even if only to let us know what the deal is. Appreciate all the work you've done for OPM and the fact that you want to see it transitioned to a platform that can continue to receive proper support from this awesome community into the future. Best of luck with your game - be sure to drop by gamedev.net for plenty of advice and support - I used to fill an Executive Producer role there managing the community and content for over a decade and it was kind of my own "silent exit" where I'd feel weird showing up and posting after being away for a while so I totally understand that feeling. :)

I will drop by gamedev.net

21 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@CaptRobau It's nice to see a post from you after so long. Your wish for OPM to be maintained by others is somewhat already fulfilled. It's already in a few very capable hands. @Galileo and myself currently maintain OPM and CTTP, with some major contribution from @Gameslinx, owner of two and a half three very awesome planet packs of his own, and @Poodmund who is still active and keeping OPM-VO current.

Great project. I'll link to it in the OP of this thread, so people are directed to it and not the outdated versions of me.

20 hours ago, Galileo said:

@CaptRobau if the above is ok with you, and you want a collaborator role on github to make changes as you see fit, I have no problem doing that for you. This will allow you to make changes, releases, and whatever else you want. :) just let me know

That would be great!

19 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

@CaptRobau Great to hear you're doing alright, and it's wonderful to see you return one more time.

(Especially since I learned the basics of Kopernicus from OPM... takes a knee in respect)

Having a small team of developers sounds like a great idea to me, and I'd personally love to help out wherever I can. :)

Glad I could help you get started.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.