[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

4 minutes ago, CaptRobau said:

Screenshot of your GameData folder please.

----------------------

While I'm here, I might as well show of this test for a feature in 2.0/beyond: custom terrain textures for the OPM planets (and maybe the stock ones too if it looks good, but that'd be a separate mod). I'm currently learning the ropes of the terrain texture system in KSP/Kopernicus and it's starting to give better and better results. You can do a lot more with it in terms of detail and diversity than most of the stock bodies make it look like. Here's a test of a custom texture on the Mun:

ZEW7QBH.png

@KillAshley is going to like this. He has some kind of fetish for ground textures.

:D

7 minutes ago, Evanitis said:

Just wanted to point towards a certain challenge.

installed that, the perihelion is within jool (modded with 6.4x rescale). so i'm just requesting that planet gets integrated into OPM (ain't good enough to mess with .cfg)

Edit: or someone could give me a pointer on how to edit the "End" to fit my 6.4x gameplay

Edited by Blastard

Ahh. Never knew OPM does / is compatible with rescaling. IXth was the first planet mod I ever tried... Though that looks nice too, might give it a go one day.

EDIT: if I wanted to edit planets, I'd totally read this intimidating looking thread:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/129540-a-beginners-guide-to-kopernicus-the-basics/#comment-2353710

Edited by Evanitis

45 minutes ago, CaptRobau said:

Screenshot of your GameData folder please.

----------------------

While I'm here, I might as well show of this test for a feature in 2.0/beyond: custom terrain textures for the OPM planets (and maybe the stock ones too if it looks good, but that'd be a separate mod). I'm currently learning the ropes of the terrain texture system in KSP/Kopernicus and it's starting to give better and better results. You can do a lot more with it in terms of detail and diversity than most of the stock bodies make it look like. Here's a test of a custom texture on the Mun:

ZEW7QBH.png

Oh my... how did you do that?! I must try making a custom texture with GIMP...

Here's the code. It won't look the same, since I changed it a bit since then. Try fiddling with the numbers to see what each does:

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
	@Body[Mun]
	{
		@PQS
		{
			Material
			{
				midTex = Terrain Revamp/Textures/soil_regolith2
				midTexScale = 1,1
				midTexOffset = 0,0
				midBumpMap = Terrain Revamp/Textures/soil_regolith_nm
				midBumpMapScale = 1,1
				midBumpMapOffset = 0,0
				midNearTiling = 10000
				midFarTiling = 100
				midMultiFactor = 1000
				midBumpNearTiling = 10000
				midBumpFarTiling = 100
			}
		}	
	}
}

35 minutes ago, CaptRobau said:

-snip-

Thanks!

Now that I'm here, here's a WIP on the clouds I was making for OPM, but redone:

As you can see, I'm making lots of progress. Tekto is still in the makings, and will feature a dense atmosphere between 5000 and 8000 meters. I can't make it thicker, E.V.E 1.0.5 has this weird rim glitch that occurs when clouds are placed exceptionally high.

I've found a fix for the flatness of the tops of the equatorial ridge on Wal. It will require re-exporting a normal map, but that's all. The problem is that when you exported the normal map, the mapMaxHeight was 8000, which is lower than the equatorial ridge is. I increased it to 22000 and now there's no mountain flattening on the normal map.

AhkyGRh.png

Edited by GregroxMun

9 minutes ago, CaptRobau said:

Thanks! That always bugged me, but I never knew it was something I could get around.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/93999-105-outer-planets-mod-192-customasteroids-support-loadondemand-and-many-bug-fixes-17-jan/&do=findComment&comment=1909490

Edited by GregroxMun
found the correct link

17 minutes ago, CaptRobau said:

I think I completely misinterpreted what Sigma was seeing there and completely forgot about it since then :D I'll put your fix on the todo list for 2.0

@ WhiteGuardian: nice!

yeah, I didn't know enough at that time to see where the problem was, and then when I realised I wasn't sure if that was on purpose or not and didn't mention it :)

Okay, I've installed this as directed. It's working fine, planets are all where they belong, etc.

I just keep getting hundreds, if not thousands, of asteroids in close proximity to Kerbin. I don't have Custom Asteroids installed, so what gives? It's causing a significant performance hit on my poor computer.

Anyone have any bright ideas?

Hello,

I asked earlier if cfg files were changed and got no response; looks like only karen; but I will update all my cfg's and when I say that I have to convert them to rtf format to the orig cfg files so I can read them; any chance of fixing this in the future so text files are readable?

I use Kop alone; no expansion; no rescale KSP; hoep to see OPM in action; tryin it tonite and tryin a live stream later; chekin resources and biomes for OPM !

Commander Zeta

7 hours ago, Thomas P. said:

Then you have installed Kopernicus 0.6 or 0.6.1. Update to 0.6.3, to fix the Kopernicus Asteroid Spawner (Kopernicus can do the same as custom asteroids), remember to update System.cfg too.

That cleared it right up. Thank you much.

17 hours ago, Cdr_Zeta said:

Hello,

I asked earlier if cfg files were changed and got no response; looks like only karen; but I will update all my cfg's and when I say that I have to convert them to rtf format to the orig cfg files so I can read them; any chance of fixing this in the future so text files are readable?

I use Kop alone; no expansion; no rescale KSP; hoep to see OPM in action; tryin it tonite and tryin a live stream later; chekin resources and biomes for OPM !

Commander Zeta

I didn't get the question the first time. The only cfg changed is indeed Karen. You don't need Worfpad though. I think we already told you this but if you get Notepad++ you can easily read every cfg. It's free, easy to install and runs on every computer.

17 hours ago, Cdr_Zeta said:

Hello,

Commander Zeta

also, why do you need to edit configs?

you could probably write a MM patch that will work even better

also, @CaptRobau

have you ever considered creating a github repo for OPM?

I think it would be pretty useful :)

Edited by Sigma88

Hello,

Whats a github REPO? It is like an updater? Could be a great alternative to CKAN.

Also yes I just have regular notepad; no biggy I just do what I do.

I dont change anything; just recopy them back to notepad.

I also look at biomes; add resources to BIOMES etc for fine tuning.

Commander Zeta

1 hour ago, Cdr_Zeta said:

Hello,

Whats a github REPO? It is like an updater? Could be a great alternative to CKAN.

Commander Zeta

I'm not sure if you know that regular notepad that is installed on computers by default and Notepad++ are two entirely different programs. Again, not sure, couldn't gather that information from your comment. Also, if I'm correct, then a github REPO isn't an auto-updater but a place where developers can post codes and stuff for other modders. Really basic and poor description, but I don't use GitHub and rarely visit it, so I don't know much about it. It isn't like CKAN thouch, I am sure of that.

2 hours ago, Cdr_Zeta said:

Hello,

Commander Zeta

1 hour ago, The White Guardian said:

I'm not sure if you know that regular notepad that is installed on computers by default and Notepad++ are two entirely different programs. Again, not sure, couldn't gather that information from your comment. Also, if I'm correct, then a github REPO isn't an auto-updater but a place where developers can post codes and stuff for other modders. Really basic and poor description, but I don't use GitHub and rarely visit it, so I don't know much about it. It isn't like CKAN thouch, I am sure of that.

A github repository can be many things depending how you use it.

One of the cool features is that it allows to see the configs without downloading the whole mod. Which is more useful for "modders" than for players. Also, it allowes to browse the changes added to the mod highlighting them clearly.

And can also be used as a mirror for downloading the mod, which is an advantage for ckan as well, since kerbalstuff is very unstable lately and curse is not compatible with ckan.

Of course is not really necessary that opm has a repository, I was just curios to know if capt had ever considered it :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.