[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Wouldn't Duna-Ike be the Pluto-Charon analogues, because they are tidally locked with each other? If you want, you could make Plock's moons reminiscent of Phobos and Deimos.

Kopernicus has true binary systems now, which are different from the setup of Duna-Ike.

Add atmospheric haze to Thatmo. Due to very small atmosphere, it's hard to get any atmospheric glow to appear. Future releases of Kopernicus should have more features that would allow me to finetune this glow/haze, so that will be implemented in the future.

Hmm... Perhaps you may have heard that I am working on custom E.V.E textures and configs for OPM that require nothing but E.V.E which, in turn, needs ModuleManager(like basically every mod). One of the things I am working on is a light white haze in the distance on Thatmo. So far without big results, but I'm making some good progress. Other than that, glow works fine on basically every body but Hale, Ovok, Polta/Priax (the small brown asteroid moon, I'm too lazy to head over to my KSP directory to find out which one, sorry :sticktongue:), Tal and Nissee since they are irregular, and E.V.E doesn't work nicely with irregular bodies.

Sarnus, Urlum, Neidon, Tekto, Slate, Polta/Priax(the big mint colored one this time), Wal and Thatmo work fine though. As for Tekto, I am working on a dense atmosphere like the real Titan: the clouds will be at least ten kilometers thick (real Titan has about 4km of smog, but who cares, this is Tekto and not Titan) instead of many layers with clear, cloudless areas in between. Another thing I've noticed is that Sarnus and Urlum's rings do not conflict with the effects of E.V.E, which is a nice bonus.

However, due to me being hired (for free in case you're wondering) by fellow Kopernicus user amarius1 to add E.V.E compatibility to KerbolPlus (or KerbolOrigins, as it will be renamed to in the next version), I don't have as much time to work on the OPM cloudpack as much as I used to, and therefor it may take longer for me to finish.

And yes, the clouds actually work: while adding Tekto's clouds I accidentally placed one around Kerbin instead of Tekto, so Kerbin had a green cloudlayer in it's upper atmosphere. So I simply threw a bunch of boosters together and decided to check it out, and it actually works and looks really good! Another thing that will be added to Tekto is a mysterious mist above the lakes for an extra alien effect. Since Tekto's atmosphere is described as 'violent' and since real-life Neptune actually has some of the fastest winds in the solar system, both Tekto and Neidon will have a few minor cyclones moving around in the upper atmosphere (though I have not yet been able to make them rotate).

That will indeed be a great addition to OPM, whenever you get chance to release it. In the mean time, I hope to get somewhat of a stock atmosphere glow going. It looks so weird without. It makes it look so dead and atmosphereless, which it's not.

That will indeed be a great addition to OPM, whenever you get chance to release it. In the mean time, I hope to get somewhat of a stock atmosphere glow going. It looks so weird without. It makes it look so dead and atmosphereless, which it's not.

An atmosphereless gas giant... There is only one possible result to that paradox: :confused:, :confused:, and more :confused:! (Got to love those confused Kerbals :D)

By the way, I've noticed an odd bug in Kopernicus with 1.0.5: water has no buoyancy, ships sink like stones as if the water weren't there.

By process of elimination it appears to be Kopernicus itself rather than any mod that uses it (the problem happens with Kopernicus even if nothing else is installed).

I've posted a note in the Kopernicus thread, but just wanted to mention it here as it's likely folks may run into it. Hopefully Kopernicus will have a fix out soon.

By the way, I've noticed an odd bug in Kopernicus with 1.0.5: water has no buoyancy, ships sink like stones as if the water weren't there.

By process of elimination it appears to be Kopernicus itself rather than any mod that uses it (the problem happens with Kopernicus even if nothing else is installed).

I've posted a note in the Kopernicus thread, but just wanted to mention it here as it's likely folks may run into it. Hopefully Kopernicus will have a fix out soon.

Kopernicus isn't made compatible with 1.0.5 yet, it only works for 1.0.4.

Kopernicus isn't made compatible with 1.0.5 yet, it only works for 1.0.4.

Yup, they've posted an update that they're working on it:

We (the team) are working on a stable 1.0.5 build of Kopernicus, however, we are in the process of overhauling the whole codebase it is possible that it takes some time unzil I can release a new version... Please stay calm, and deal with it. The water issue is caused by the non-spherical ocean utils. They remove the old buoyancy component and add a replacement, which is outdated, obviously. Hazardous Oceans however WILL work.

So I guess it's time to kick back and relax on/around Kerbin for a while and play around with seaplanes and micro-drones. :)

The rest of Kopernicus seems to work just fine with 1.05, so I've made OPM 1.8.1 compatible with 1.05 but with a clear warning of this bug.

Huh. I'll follow Scott Manley's advice and 'fly safe' in 1.0.4 until Kopernicus 1.0.5 is released. Anyhow, I've finished Tekto's cloud textures and created a config file.

The result... Tekto looks really fuzzy due to the fact that all 16 cloud layers that form Tekto's thick upper atmosphere are visible from space at once. I'm still fixing that. However, I deorbited the 'Tektoan orbital research SSTO' and investigated the green moon from up-close. Let's say it looks pretty amazing so far...

The future

Here's what we have in store for the future:

• Reinvent the Plock system. No longer will it just be a carbon copy of Vall: Plock will receive a new look, based on the observations of the real Pluto by the New Horizons probe. It will also receive a Charon-analog called Karen, with which it will be in a binary configuration like the real Pluto and Charon.
  • Add atmospheric haze to Thatmo. Due to very small atmosphere, it's hard to get any atmospheric glow to appear. Future releases of Kopernicus should have more features that would allow me to finetune this glow/haze, so that will be implemented in the future.

I just checked out this thread, hoping to find exactly this information. I am still playing out my first game (stock 1.02), but will definitely be adding this when I begin my first modded game (which likely will be after 1.1 is out).

Thank you for such a high degree of production on this mod. It looks like it should be great, and decidedly feels necessary. I dearly wanted a Titan & Triton, it felt empty not having those as exploration goals.

[quote name='Olympic1']Well, Kerbal Galaxy is not stable enough IMO. Try out [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/128856"]Galactic Neighborhood[/URL], it adds many different planet packs to a star what makes it a sort of galaxy[/QUOTE]

Not exactly what i was looking for. i like the lay out of KG2 GN is too meh... its all clustered together... not really realistic especially when we are playing with a physics engine.... As to the stability..... lol we are modding it till it crashes...... how is anything we do stable? lol

[COLOR="silver"][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Olympic1']Well, Kerbal Galaxy is not stable enough IMO. Try out [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/128856"]Galactic Neighborhood[/URL], it adds many different planet packs to a star what makes it a sort of galaxy[/QUOTE]

Not exactly what i was looking for. i like the lay out of KG2 GN is too meh... its all clustered together... not really realistic especially when we are playing with a physics engine.... As to the stability..... lol we are modding it till it crashes...... how is anything we do stable? lol

[quote name='Nemesis bosseret']Not exactly what i was looking for. i like the lay out of KG2 GN is too meh... its all clustered together... not really realistic especially when we are playing with a physics engine.... As to the stability..... lol we are modding it till it crashes...... how is anything we do stable? lol[/QUOTE]

how is the layout of KG2 realistic at all compared to GN? GN aims to create a more of a "galaxy cluster" approach to the additional star problem. Given the distances between the stars GN is way more realistic than any other star pack so far.

As for stability - there are stable mods, where it's impact in the game is completely unseen (no bugs, no crashes, no problems in terms of gameplay), unfortunately there are also unstable mods, which causes a lot of issues when it comes to just starting a game. KG2 unfortunately falls into the unstable part.

We do not "mod until it crashes" I don't think any mod dev out there has even contemplated the idea, but if you want your game to be buggy, unstable and unplayable for the most part then go right ahead. Most people play with a generally solid selection of mods that won't impact their games at all.

I did a test and can confirm that the buoyancy is indeed fixed. 0.5 offers a slew of improvements, which I will be able to take full advantage of in OPM 1.9. For example, a new OnDemand loading system cuts the RAM usage in half from 400-500 MB to 200-300 MB.

So don't wait and get Kopernicus 0.5 now:

[url]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/114649-0-90-Kopernicus-Pre-Alpha-%280-0-6%29[/url]

Hi Capt:

Is it only me or Plock (and only Plock) is not loading using Kopernicus and OPM latest?

Related lines of Kopernicus.log and Plock.Body.log follow:

[LOG 02:59:09]: [Kopernicus]: Configuration.Loader: Loaded Body: Neidon
[LOG 02:59:09]: [Kopernicus]: Configuration.Loader: Failed to load Body: Plock
[LOG 02:59:09]: [Kopernicus]: Configuration.Loader: Loaded Body: Sarnus

[LOG 02:59:09]: Parsing Target Debug in (Kopernicus.Configuration.Body) as (Kopernicus.Configuration.DebugLoader)
[LOG 02:59:09]: Parsing Target barycenter in (Kopernicus.Configuration.Body) as (Kopernicus.Configuration.NumericParser`1[System.Boolean])
[LOG 02:59:09]: Exception Was Recorded: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at Kopernicus.Configuration.Body.Kopernicus.Configuration.IParserEventSubscriber.PostApply (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Kopernicus.Configuration.Parser.LoadObjectFromConfigurationNode (System.Object o, .ConfigNode node, Boolean getChilds) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Kopernicus.Configuration.Loader.Kopernicus.Configuration.IParserEventSubscriber.PostApply (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Cheers! :)

[quote name='CaptRobau']I did a test and can confirm that the buoyancy is indeed fixed. 0.5 offers a slew of improvements, which I will be able to take full advantage of in OPM 1.9. For example, a new OnDemand loading system cuts the RAM usage in half from 400-500 MB to 200-300 MB.

So don't wait and get Kopernicus 0.5 now:

[url]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/114649-0-90-Kopernicus-Pre-Alpha-%280-0-6%29[/url][/QUOTE]

Do you think you could try and get compatibility with [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55905-1-05-1-05-1-Nov-10-2015-EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements"]EnviromentalVisualEnhancements[/URL] and [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/115408"]Scatterer[/URL] for OPM 1.9, if it isn't supported already? I'd really like to make Sarnus, Tekto, Urlum, Neidon and Thatmo look just as beautiful as the stock planets.

[quote name='Shinji-The-Kerbonaut']Do you think you could try and get compatibility with [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55905-1-05-1-05-1-Nov-10-2015-EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements"]EnviromentalVisualEnhancements[/URL] and [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/115408"]Scatterer[/URL] for OPM 1.9, if it isn't supported already? I'd really like to make Sarnus, Tekto, Urlum, Neidon and Thatmo look just as beautiful as the stock planets.[/QUOTE]

Hmm... I was about to reveal that I am finishing the EVE configs for OPM, and that I had fixed Tekto (there is now one huge layer of green clouds between 40000m and 10000m), but with the new EVE config layout I am going to need some time to fix everything and update the configs. Either way, don't worry: EVE support is on the way!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.