[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Am I the only one who is getting no textures on the gas giants? The moons are btw ok. All I did was delete the old OPM folder (that had working textures) and copied the new OPM into gamedata as usual. Kopernicus was previously installed (0.6.3) All the gas giants are totally plain, it is just Neidon that has a hint of the storm texture shining through.
-For the record, I hyperedited out there.

34 minutes ago, SkyKaptn said:

Am I the only one who is getting no textures on the gas giants? The moons are btw ok. All I did was delete the old OPM folder (that had working textures) and copied the new OPM into gamedata as usual. Kopernicus was previously installed (0.6.3) All the gas giants are totally plain, it is just Neidon that has a hint of the storm texture shining through.

have you tried on a clean install with only ModuleManager, Kopernicus and OPM?

Edited by Sigma88

12 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

have you tried on a clean install with only ModuleManager, Kopernicus and OPM?

Only with OPM and ModuleManager. Will try Kopernicus too. Will post findings in about 20 or so minutes

Edit: Read too quickly... Clean install

Edited by SkyKaptn

9 minutes ago, SkyKaptn said:

Only with OPM and ModuleManager. Will try Kopernicus too. Will post findings in about 20 or so minutes

Edit: Read too quickly... Clean install

yeah, basically remove everything from the GameData folder except for the Squad Folder

then install MM, Kopernicus and OPM

see if everything works with that setup, if it does, start adding the other mods you had one by one...

don't load old saves while you do this, you'll risk losing ships :D

@CaptRobau I think you bundled the Development version of the SigmaBinary template.cfg instead of the released one.

that config will most likely break, I'm still working on the dev.version of SigmaBinary and it's not even remotely close to finished :D

you can find the released template here

https://github.com/Sigma88/Sigma-Binary/releases

(TEMPLATE.zip)

Never mind me, I was talking crazy...

your cfg is fine :D

Edited by Sigma88

I really want some clouds for Tekto, but I've been having some trouble finding a cloud pack that works for vanilla EVE (newest version). All that I have been able to find either require additional mods, are for the old pre-reboot EVE (Eleusis' Clouds for OPM) or radically change the feel of the planets (Pood's Overhaul). The ΣME cloud config pack is nowhere to be found.

27 minutes ago, wasmic said:

I really want some clouds for Tekto, but I've been having some trouble finding a cloud pack that works for vanilla EVE (newest version). All that I have been able to find either require additional mods, are for the old pre-reboot EVE (Eleusis' Clouds for OPM) or radically change the feel of the planets (Pood's Overhaul). The ΣME cloud config pack is nowhere to be found.

With regards to the old-EVE/new-EVE thing, it is hard to create any visuals that add the "atmospheric-glow" that was achievable with the old-EVE. For my clouds, head over to my thread and tell me what you'd like to see different as I am still at the stage where I would consider a major redo of what the moons look like.

I have a few ideas to try and get around the atmo-glow but need some time to put it into practice.

21 minutes ago, wasmic said:

I never made a cloud pack, I worked on the config structure of eleusis OPMClouds (which still works if you use the old EVE and is compatible with both my OPM expansions)

If you manage to find a mod that adds clouds to opm using the new EVE my expansions will change color/tilt automatically if installed

54 minutes ago, wasmic said:

Hmm. I was working on a cloudpack for OPM but discontinued it when I saw Pood's work, I can't possibly beat that. But since it seems there may still be interest in such a mod, should I start working on it again?

Here's what it looked like in the old version of E.V.E:

0JWXMt7.png

Edited by The White Guardian

12 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

Hmm. I was working on a cloudpack for OPM but discontinued it when I saw Pood's work, I can't possibly beat that. But since it seems there may still be interest in such a mod, should I start working on it again?

0JWXMt7.png

Yeah of course. Pood's work looks very different from yours and it'd be a waste to throw it away.

17 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

@CaptRobau I think you bundled the Development version of the SigmaBinary template.cfg instead of the released one.

that config will most likely break, I'm still working on the dev.version of SigmaBinary and it's not even remotely close to finished :D

you can find the released template here

https://github.com/Sigma88/Sigma-Binary/releases

(TEMPLATE.zip)

Never mind me, I was talking crazy...

your cfg is fine :D

I figured as much after I checked and realized I never downloaded that dev version.

1 hour ago, The White Guardian said:

0JWXMt7.png

That looks great! A bit dark in my opinion, but still really awesome.

On 1/20/2016 at 1:43 PM, The White Guardian said:

0JWXMt7.png

It looks great! The dark bands on Neidon and the lighter bands on Sarnus could be a bit brighter, but Urlum is perfect for that specific cloud pack style, and I'd use that cloud pack as is if my gaming pc wasn't broken at the moment.

Edited by LaytheDragon
Fixed text appearing twice

On 1/17/2016 at 2:35 PM, CaptRobau said:

There's now also support for LoadOnDemand, a builtin Kopernicus feature that does dynamic loading and unloading of planet textures. This means lower RAM usage of around 50-100 MB in most situations when you're out and about in space.

Exciting! Is this Load On Demand of any relation to the other mod of the same name?

11 hours ago, LaytheDragon said:

It looks great! The dark bands on Neidon and the lighter bands on Sarnus could be a bit brighter, but Urlum is perfect for that specific cloud pack style, and I'd use that cloud pack as is if my gaming pc wasn't broken at the moment.

12 hours ago, wasmic said:

That looks great! A bit dark in my opinion, but still really awesome.

13 hours ago, CaptRobau said:

Yeah of course. Pood's work looks very different from yours and it'd be a waste to throw it away.

I don't think anyone will be surprised if I say that I wasn't expecting such a lot of positive feedback. About the dark textures, I never said that what you see in the screenshots is the finished version. The screeshot does show the clouds in the old E.V.E version though, so it may look slightly different in the 'E.V.E reboot'.

Furthermore, @CaptRobau, if I make clouds for Sarnus, Urlum and Neidon in the rebooted version of E.V.E, it will result in a game-breaking glitch. Yes, it will, not it may. That is, unless I add an extra config with an extra PQSMod for Sarnus, Urlum, and Neidon, a mod named 'deactivateDistance' that is added by E.V.E. Are you okay with that?

Also, I still have the textures, so I will continue my work. I hadn't made Tekto though, but I'll work on that. I'll make sure it gets the thick layer of clouds for a true Titan analogue. I'm thinking of a thick layer of green clouds with some brown-orange clouds here and there. I'll also add a cyclone to Tekto to show that it's atmosphere is "very violent", as OPM's in-game info about Tekto states.

On 17/1/2016 at 11:35 PM, CaptRobau said:

There's now also support for LoadOnDemand, a builtin Kopernicus feature that does dynamic loading and unloading of planet textures. This means lower RAM usage of around 50-100 MB in most situations when you're out and about in space. There's other stuff in the mod too, including bug fixes. See below for the full changelog.

Here's the full changelog:

-Changed the texture paths/locations to allow for LoadOnDemand functionality
-Made Karen's description a bit vaguer to account for the optional nature of the SigmaBinary mod

I didn't even notice you added LoadOnDemand! This is great!

btw, you can check if sigmabinary is installed when you define the description of Plock and Karen if you want to change them when they are in a proper binary system.

just do something like this:

// inside the plock config
[...]
description = standard plock description
@description:NEEDS[SigmaBinary] = new plock description
[...]
// --- //

// inside the karen config
[...]
description = standard karen description
@description:NEEDS[SigmaBinary] = new karen description
[...]
// --- //

;)

52 minutes ago, MatterBeam said:

Hi.

The LoadOnDemand feature, does it interfere with The DynamicTextureLoader features on Add-On Releases?

Also, I heard there might be problems with Scatterer leading to increased lag around Gas Giants. Is this still the case?

1 - I would guess so since that mod was based on the same idea of that Kopernicus feature

2- that is a scatterer issue, which has not been solved yet as far as I know. But they're working on it (I think) :D

On 19.1.2016 at 5:09 PM, SkyKaptn said:

After a tedious elimination process I found out that the KopernicusExpansion that is bundeled with KSPRC does not play too well with the newest OPM. (old OPM is fine with Kop. Ex) By removing KopernicusExpansion all the gas giants' textures are back to normal.

-Tested and confirmed on following platforms: 

32bit openGL, 32bit directX 9, 64bit openGL and 64bit directX 9

6 minutes ago, SkyKaptn said:

After a tedious elimination process I found out that the KopernicusExpansion that is bundeled with KSPRC does not play too well with the newest OPM. (old OPM is fine with Kop. Ex) By removing KopernicusExpansion all the gas giants' textures are back to normal.

-Tested and confirmed on following platforms: 

32bit openGL, 32bit directX 9, 64bit openGL and 64bit directX 9

Yeah, KE is not compatible with the load on demand feature. That's why it messes up gas giants

Edited by Sigma88

12 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

Yeah, KE is not compatible with the load on demand feature. That's why it messes up gas giants

Is there any way to disable load on demand then? I do not have the time myself for a while to tinker with KSP. I guess this is just for RAM-saving?

9 minutes ago, SkyKaptn said:

Is there any way to disable load on demand then? I do not have the time myself for a while to tinker with KSP. I guess this is just for RAM-saving?

Yes. You need to move color textures out from the plugindata folder and edit the cfgs to account for the new position.

Or you could just remove the KE procedural gas giant module from the opm giants if you want to use other features of KE.

9 hours ago, TheJewelOfJool said:

The planets aren't loading in my game, and I have Kopernicus 0.6.3 and the latest version of OPM.

Screenshot of your GameData folder please.

----------------------

While I'm here, I might as well show of this test for a feature in 2.0/beyond: custom terrain textures for the OPM planets (and maybe the stock ones too if it looks good, but that'd be a separate mod). I'm currently learning the ropes of the terrain texture system in KSP/Kopernicus and it's starting to give better and better results. You can do a lot more with it in terms of detail and diversity than most of the stock bodies make it look like. Here's a test of a custom texture on the Mun:

ZEW7QBH.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.