[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Odd question here. I run on linux, and so I have the stripey planets problem because OpenGL hates .dds files. When I started KSP up today though, KSP properly loaded the OPM textures. No more stripey planets. Even on a clean install with only OPM and Kopernicus, I no longer have stripey planets. What happened? Does anyone have any idea how my linux KSP suddenly runs OPM correctly?

My computer has ghosts.

8 minutes ago, BigFatStupidHead said:

Odd question here. I run on linux, and so I have the stripey planets problem because OpenGL hates .dds files. When I started KSP up today though, KSP properly loaded the OPM textures. No more stripey planets. Even on a clean install with only OPM and Kopernicus, I no longer have stripey planets. What happened? Does anyone have any idea how my linux KSP suddenly runs OPM correctly?

My computer has ghosts.

I would have said ghosts.

11 minutes ago, BigFatStupidHead said:

My computer has ghosts.

Could be a variety of things, a lucky bug/update with your GPU drivers, OpenGL not working or something, either way, luck definitely seems to be on your side right now, congratulations! :D

Hi everyone,

Work on 2.1 is continuing at a healthy pace and things are finalized enough now that I can give you a brief overview of what's going to be in it:

Biome overhaul

Gone are the old boring Highlands, Craters, and Lowlands. You'll find the Silisko Sea on Tekto, Falkor Plains on Polta, the Ryloth Region on Thatmo and  Kowgan Archipelago on Slate. Names inspired by KSP devs, modders, fans as well as pop-culture (sci-fi and fantasy) really help make OPMs planets and moons feel more alive. There's also more of them and they're more contiguous (so less pixel hunting biomes). Science blurbs have been changed or moved around and the science payout of bodies has been tweaked to account for the changes. Oh, and all  the biome maps are easier on the eyes too.

Biomes for Plock, Karen, Sarnus, Urlum and Neidon

The faraway dwarf planet and its moon, introduced in 1.9.0, finally get biomes of their own. The OPM gas giants have also been given biomes, after @Snark proved that those were possible, but also a good idea. In total these biomes and the overhauled biomes mentioned above add 100 biomes to the 60 biomes that you could come across in OPM 2.0. This is in line with the biome count of stock KSP since 1.2.

Improved normal maps for bodies

The normals are correctly lit now and the details is just right. The planets and moons have never looked so good from high orbit/the map view.

Redid all timewarp levels to transition more quickly to useful speeds

Less waiting at low altitudes and ideal orbital altitudes, because the timewarp levels are now better adjusted to each body.

A (temporary) hack to make comms work at the ranges of OPMs expanded system

Long-range antenna will be boosted quite a bit. This throws off balance in the inner system, but it's the best I could do without something like Custom Barnkit adding more options to change KSC's antenna ranges.

All sorts of little fixes

A cure for the white planet bug, the Linux/Mac issues and updates made to fully update the mod to take advantage of 1.2. 

30 minutes ago, CaptRobau said:

A (temporary) hack to make comms work at the ranges of OPMs expanded system

Long-range antenna will be boosted quite a bit. This throws off balance in the inner system, but it's the best I could do without something like Custom Barnkit adding more options to change KSC's antenna ranges.

Didn't @Sigma88 produce a little L-R antenna pack for the greater distances of OPM bodies? Maybe it's not as simple as just re-using those...

28 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

Didn't @Sigma88 produce a little L-R antenna pack for the greater distances of OPM bodies? Maybe it's not as simple as just re-using those...

it was a RT only mod, and I haven't checked on it since KSP released the commnet.

and it wasn't strictly tied to OPM (even if it was designed to fit well with it)

I will definitely look into updating those mods but I'm pretty busy at the moment so who knows how much untill that time comes :)

5 hours ago, Constan7ine said:

Have the biomes for stock KSP bodies been changed?

I don't change anything about the stock biomes themselves, although there is and has been for some time been a config included with the mod that rebalances the stock science multipliers to account for the added bodies. That'll get a small tweak for this update, to reflect the added number of biomes.

5 hours ago, Constan7ine said:

Have the biomes for stock KSP bodies been changed?

Just to clarify, KSP 1.2 changed some biomes for stock bodies, but OPM does not. So, compared to KSP 1.1.3, stock body biomes HAVE changed, but not because of OPM. :)

On 11/8/2016 at 2:57 PM, CaptRobau said:

Work on 2.1 is continuing at a healthy pace and things are finalized enough now that I can give you a brief overview of what's going to be in it:

Great!  Can't wait to get back into OPM!  And the updated features sound wounderful, too.  Thanks for all the hard work.

BTW, I've been thinking long and hard about the difficulty of communicating out at OPM distances with the stock system.  Fortunately, I think I've found a solution in the form of @DMagic's Orbital Science mod.  For a while now, since before 1.2x, this wonderful mod has had a gawdawful huge friggin' antenna, the Oversize Signals Intelligence Dish, for its own purposes.  But now, for 1.2.1, DMagic has given it relay capability.  

By "gawdawful huge", I mean like this:

01 DMOS Oversize

As you can see, for 1.2.1, DMagic has thoughtfully given this thing the ability to serve as a relay antenna, with a 500Gm range at L3.  How far out there is Plock?

In any case, it gives full bars from Kerbin to Jool, even talking to stock relays.  I think a few of these scattered around strategically would make an OPM-capable network, eh?

02 DMOS OS Performance

1 hour ago, arcean_craft said:

when will this mod be updated?

When the dev feels like updating..  Also if you would read above in the thread just a little, you would come across a post from the dev about the progress being made on the update for the mod.  Here is the post. 

On ۱۳۹۵/۸/۲۰ ه‍.ش. at 7:23 AM, Geschosskopf said:

Great!  Can't wait to get back into OPM!  And the updated features sound wounderful, too.  Thanks for all the hard work.

BTW, I've been thinking long and hard about the difficulty of communicating out at OPM distances with the stock system.  Fortunately, I think I've found a solution in the form of @DMagic's Orbital Science mod.  For a while now, since before 1.2x, this wonderful mod has had a gawdawful huge friggin' antenna, the Oversize Signals Intelligence Dish, for its own purposes.  But now, for 1.2.1, DMagic has given it relay capability.  

By "gawdawful huge", I mean like this:

01 DMOS Oversize

As you can see, for 1.2.1, DMagic has thoughtfully given this thing the ability to serve as a relay antenna, with a 500Gm range at L3.  How far out there is Plock?

In any case, it gives full bars from Kerbin to Jool, even talking to stock relays.  I think a few of these scattered around strategically would make an OPM-capable network, eh?

02 DMOS OS Performance

if you looked maybe few pages back in DMagic forum, i had said that i would add a patch for remote tech on that part and made that patch go for 1.1 Tm (1100 Gm) using the root mode on remote tech, you could park a geostationary station with one of those big dishes and another around opm and they should be able to communicate?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.