[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

One thing you could do to be fun without being too unrealistic, is have a small moon with an exceptionally thin but oxygenated atmosphere.

just enough that you can use jet engines if you fly very low and very fast. And nothing like laythe's generous atmosphere.

It could be an icy moon of of one of the two outermost giants.

I was just thinking of that. Interesting idea

Mind readers. Was reading about the 'skies of Triton' yesterday, which also put the idea for a moon with a very thin atmosphere in my head. How cool would it be to fly over something like this:

1920px-ESO-L._Cal%C3%A7ada_-_Pluto_%28by%29.jpg

A useful oxygen atmosphere might not work if it's that thick. Aerodynamically one can shrink a thin atmosphere like Duna's from 41km to 10-12km and still get enough lift to lift off if staying below 1.5km ASL. But an atmosphere that thin would be too thin for the available air intakes. The best of those stop working at 25-30km ASL on Kerbin. The air there is very thin and nearly all of a 12km atmosphere would have air pressures lower than Kerbin's atmosphere above 25km. So it might not be very usable if it's very thin. One could make the atmosphere taller, but that would just make it Oxygen Duna. I think this concept will need a lot of playtesting to see what is even possible.

I play with RSS 64k and more recently, Jumbo 32. I may make configs customised for those scales and will post them here if I do that.

I always appreciate people making configs that make my mods work for more people's playstyles.

Kudos for the work here, fantastic looking mod so far. I can't describe it, but stock planets seem to have a certain flavour and you've matched it better than any other planet mod I've seen. Would agree with other commenters going back - moons that are unique but not completely crazy are the way to go, as you've mentioned, twists of moons in our outer solar system or moons we know of would be great, honestly looking forward to seeing the product of this.

This mod got me thinking, there's no mod out there with a Kuiper belt -equivalent, or anything with large-ish rocks in general. Looking at our solar system, there are 600k+ known minor planets, and all we have is a few asteroids smaller than any of my space stations. I wonder how well ksp would run with a couple of thousand brand new small celestial bodies..? :D

Edited by Yski

I'm glad you figured out how to change atmosphere height. I used that to change Boris' atmosphere height and color.

Do you happen to know how I can change pressure, scaleheight, oxygen, etc though?

Look here: https://github.com/BryceSchroeder/Kopernicus/blob/9f9b05758d3d6dfb7f40e27a9b00e81b0a0a9c87/Kopernicus/Configuration/Atmosphere.cs

That generally makes it rather clear what you can and cannot use. I think this should work, but I haven't tried it. Hopefully it gives you an idea:

Atmosphere
{

}

You place this beneath ScaledVersion or Properties or whatever's last (order probably doesn't matter, but who knows?)

You can then place the following stuff in there:

Oxygen = true

scaleHeight = 5

pressureMultiplier = 0.5

temperatureMultiplier = 4

You can set pressure and temperature curves, but I don't know how to do that. And generally you don't even want to mess with that (pressures and temperatures can be higher or lower in some places but will generally follow a similar curve).

Are there moons? If not, will they be added?

Not right now, but there will be.

This mod got me thinking, there's no mod out there with a Kuiper belt -equivalent, or anything with large-ish rocks in general. Looking at our solar system, there are 600k+ known minor planets, and all we have is a few asteroids smaller than any of my space stations. I wonder how well ksp would run with a couple of thousand brand new small celestial bodies..? :D

Trans-Keptunian Pack

This adds Kuiper Belt like bodies. Only works with 0.25 I think and use PlanetFactory, a memory hog.

Planet Factory Revived

This mod is 0.90 compatible, a less memory-intensive plugin and incorporates some of the Kuiper Beltesque bodies from the above pack.

This looks fantastic! Following!
Kudos for the work here, fantastic looking mod so far. I can't describe it, but stock planets seem to have a certain flavour and you've matched it better than any other planet mod I've seen. Would agree with other commenters going back - moons that are unique but not completely crazy are the way to go, as you've mentioned, twists of moons in our outer solar system or moons we know of would be great, honestly looking forward to seeing the product of this.
Nice! Keep up the good work! :D

Just asking, will the moons be like their real life counterparts or are they going to be unique?

Thank you. I'm also happy with how it all turned out. About the moons, they will be inspired by real-life moons or realistic moon concepts. They won't be carbon copies though. In my plans so far I've generally combined the interesting or unique features of two or so moons and combined them into something new. So they are unique, but in a realistic/good way.

Edited by CaptRobau

Rejoice everyone, for a new version is out. Consider it an early Christmas present. What do you get when you unwrap and install it:

-Rings for Sarnus and Urlum, which look even better than they did in 0.25 (learned some tricks)

-Procedural asteroids now spawn in orbit around all the gas giants (even Jool), simulating the countless tiny irregular and shepherd moons of the real-life gas giants. You'll need to install Custom Asteroids for them to spawn though. They don't spawn en masse, you might have to wait a bit.

-Unique rotation speeds for the new planets

-Added the correct resolution textures for Urlum and Neidon. They were half the size they were supposed to be.

-Some other minor stuff

NOTE: Custom Asteroids still says its 0.25, but I tested it and it works in 0.90.

Edited by CaptRobau

Thank you. I'm also happy with how it all turned out. About the moons, they will be inspired by real-life moons or realistic moon concepts. They won't be carbon copies though. In my plans so far I've generally combined the interesting or unique features of two or so moons and combined them into something new. So they are unique, but in a realistic/good way.

A Titan analog would be pretty nifty!

Also, it looks like Distant Object Enhancement is at least rendering flares for the new planets.

How do we enable the rings? I tried on a sandbox game and couldn't see them... Are they visible from the observatory?
Are you sure you're using the latest version?

Yes, do you have 1.1? Check your download for a KittopiaTech folder. If it's not there, you definitely have the wrong version or a botched download.

can't get this mod to work, loading hangs at kittopia/ring texture <-something, not exact wording there. its not even loading enough to generate a error log when it fails out. if no one else is seeing this, im betting a mod conflict, as im running 30+ mods. My main suspect would be active texture management, has this been tested with that mod?

I have some ideas for better descriptions for Sarnus and Neidon, and some ideas for small Gilly-based moons. Remember to add the planets' radii to the semi-major axes to these, or else the innermost moons will wind up inside the planets.

Sarnus: A large gas giant similar to Jool, Sarnus has beautiful rings with tiny asteroids inside them. Many moons similar to Jool's orbit this planet.

Sarnus' Minor Moons

Hic: A large, irregularly shaped moon, Hic is unusually close to Sarnus.

Radius: 90 Km

Semi-Major axis: 2900 KM

Philly: Sarnus' most distant moon, Philly is unusual as it orbits retrograde to Sarnus' equator.

Radius: 14 KM

Semi-major axis: 110000 KM

Neidon: The most distant planet in our solar system, Neidon was not discovered until recently due to it's distance and it's ability to often be mistaken for the nearer purple planet, Eve. Neidon has an active atmosphere unlike that of the other gas giants, and has giant storms that regularly form and disappear over the span of decades.

Neidon's Minor Moons

Loopy: A small moon of Neidon, Loopy has a highly eccentric orbit bringing it very close to Neidon but near the edge of Neidon's sphere of influence at it's furthest distance.

Radius: 38 KM

Semi-Major axis: 41000 KM

Eccentricity: 0.7

I like the bit about Eve in Neidon's description, so I'll use that. Thanks. The moon suggestions shall go on the big pile of moon suggestions for further consideration.

can't get this mod to work, loading hangs at kittopia/ring texture <-something, not exact wording there. its not even loading enough to generate a error log when it fails out. if no one else is seeing this, im betting a mod conflict, as im running 30+ mods. My main suspect would be active texture management, has this been tested with that mod?

It has not. I'm not running a lot of mods due to testing, so I haven't had much issues on that front. I'll check it out. Could also simply be that you're hitting your RAM limits. My planets are pretty light compared to older planet packs due to Kopernicus but they're also not nothing. 30+ is not a small number, so maybe it's that.

I like the bit about Eve in Neidon's description, so I'll use that. Thanks. The moon suggestions shall go on the big pile of moon suggestions for further consideration.

It has not. I'm not running a lot of mods due to testing, so I haven't had much issues on that front. I'll check it out. Could also simply be that you're hitting your RAM limits. My planets are pretty light compared to older planet packs due to Kopernicus but they're also not nothing. 30+ is not a small number, so maybe it's that.

My moon suggestions could be implemented now without RSS, man...

Yes, do you have 1.1? Check your download for a KittopiaTech folder. If it's not there, you definitely have the wrong version or a botched download.

The zip is called Outer_Planets_Mod-1.1.zip, but it does not have a KittopiaTech folder, it only has a Kopernicus, an OPM, a CustomAsteroids and a KittopiaSpace... Is KittopiaSpace the same as KittopiaTech?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.