[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Most bugs are only graphical. A few make a career mode with OPM a bit unbalanced. The only game-ruining ones are incompatible mod conflicting with OPM. If you don't install those or update them (depends on the mod if this help, see Incompatible Mods). If you just play sandbox and or don't need all those incompatible mods, it's not a buggy experience.

you convinced me, I decided to throw this into my current save.

I have to change the amount of time I fix between launches tho, because those planets are so far away the satellites I'll send up will take a lot of time getting there, and I don't like to warp all the way there.

One question, would it be possible for me to change the colors of some of the planets? I once saw a ringed planet similar to sarnus but azure/cyan which was very nice and I would like to use that color for sarnus (no offense to your design)

I guess changing the color is just a matter of changing the texture files, which I think I can do but I'm not 100% sure. And I guess there's a cfg file somewhere for the planetshine mod also.

--

ps: what's this "NaN kraken upon loading" bug lajoswinkler mentioned?

Thanks again for your answer!

Edited by Sigma88

The texture files are in DDS format, which you can load with a lot of programs such as Photoshop and Paint.NET. For the next version, which we're hoping to release shortly we're moving back to PNG files because we're changing how we load terrain and that method doesn't work with DDS (yet). PNGs can even be edited by Windows Paint, so if you don't want to download a program or something you only have to wait a few days.

The texture files are in DDS format, which you can load with a lot of programs such as Photoshop and Paint.NET. For the next version, which we're hoping to release shortly we're moving back to PNG files because we're changing how we load terrain and that method doesn't work with DDS (yet). PNGs can even be edited by Windows Paint, so if you don't want to download a program or something you only have to wait a few days.

thank you, I should have some freeware program that should do the trick (like Gimp)

my scansat schedule just grew by an order of magnitude adding only 1 mod, oh dear

You installed it wrong. There should be a folder called RealSolarSystem in there as well as one called DDSLoader. The first handles the terrain and the second loads the texture format we're using it. With that missing Kopernicus can't load the planets and moons.

Oh ok. For some reason I thought the RSS folder was only for those with RSS. Thanks for clearing that up!

Days?! The next update is coming sooner than I expected!

By the way, whilst I've forgotten when it was mentioned, I am pretty sure I heard you talking about adding one last moon to Sarnus. Will this be added after the moons of Urlum or could we expect that sooner? Just out of interest :P

I have no idea either, as it happens with OPM too. I remember reading somewhere that _Augustus_ knew more, but I'm not sure. Couldn't hurt to ask him right?

I have found the solution to this problem. All normal files need their alpha channel to be opaque, I've found around 50% is best.

Also, I have no idea how hard this would be to implement but is it possible for Sarnus and Urlum to cast shadows on their rings? This is something that is, granted, very minor and hardly a priority but does take away from the realism of the mod slightly for me.

Also, I have no idea how hard this would be to implement but is it possible for Sarnus and Urlum to cast shadows on their rings? This is something that is, granted, very minor and hardly a priority but does take away from the realism of the mod slightly for me.

That is not possible at the moment with KittopiaTech, but I think pingopete figured out a way with Saturn's rings for RVE... :P

I seem to have some problems with this mod. Whenever i leave Kerbins SOI and enter the suns SOI my game starts dropping frames and space is now really dark (even the sun is gone :o) . When i restart it, my probe/ship/whatever gets eaten by the NaN kraken. I use several mods and have tried clean installs and removing some mods but the NaN kraken always messes me up. I've heard another guy say that it was Kerbal Engineer Redux that does this.

http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/2sqa5x/a_headsup_update_14_of_outer_planets_mod_is_out/cnu77ha

Anyone else having problems with the NaN kraken?

I seem to have some problems with this mod. Whenever i leave Kerbins SOI and enter the suns SOI my game starts dropping frames and space is now really dark (even the sun is gone :o) . When i restart it, my probe/ship/whatever gets eaten by the NaN kraken. I use several mods and have tried clean installs and removing some mods but the NaN kraken always messes me up. I've heard another guy say that it was Kerbal Engineer Redux that does this.

http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/2sqa5x/a_headsup_update_14_of_outer_planets_mod_is_out/cnu77ha

Answer the following things:

-Which version of KSP you are running (ie. 32 or 64-bit)?

-How much RAM do you have in total and how much of that is KSP (open the task manager, go to processes and write down the amount of memory KSP.exe uses)?

-What mods do you have installed? Easiest way is to take a screenshot of your GameData folder

With this info I might be able to find out what your problem is. It's definitely not something that happens to everyone, as I've never had it.

CaptRobau, if you wanted to make Ovok more eggshaped try adding a PQSMod_VertexHeightOblate. I haven't been able to get scaledspace to update after adding that mod though, but it should do what you wanted.

I'll try that, thanks!

Answer the following things:

-Which version of KSP you are running (ie. 32 or 64-bit)?

-How much RAM do you have in total and how much of that is KSP (open the task manager, go to processes and write down the amount of memory KSP.exe uses)?

-What mods do you have installed? Easiest way is to take a screenshot of your GameData folder

With this info I might be able to find out what your problem is. It's definitely not something that happens to everyone, as I've never had it.

Yeah, probably should have provided more info, sorry about that "/

- KSP Version 0.90 32-bit Windows

- I have 8 gigs of ram (obviously not in 32-bit) and my KSP is running at 2.5 gigs memory

- This is my GameData folder: http://imgur.com/zk9LQ6A you don't see the OPM mod folders there because i obviously had to remove them for the game to work properly

Really want this awesome mod to work, damn kraken x)

Edited by lolpox
typo

I have the same problem and learned how to bypass it. After you finish playing KSP, quicksave the mission you want to resume. Then, when you start it the next time, don't go into tracking station. Go to VAB and launch anything, might've as well be a probe core. Then when you're on the launch pad, quickload.

There are other paths, as well, but the point is to avoid normal loading of the vessel and load the actual scene. It should be fine then.

Yeah, probably should have provided more info, sorry about that "/

- KSP Version 0.90 32-bit Windows

- I have 8 gigs of ram (obviously not in 32-bit) and my KSP is running at 2.5 gigs memory

- This is my GameData folder: http://imgur.com/zk9LQ6A you don't see the OPM mod folders there because i obviously had to remove them for the game to work properly

Really want this awesome mod to work, damn kraken x)

I don't see any obvious offenders, aside from Kerbal Engineer. If removing that doesn't help then I suggest to do what lajoswinkler just suggested:

I have the same problem and learned how to bypass it. After you finish playing KSP, quicksave the mission you want to resume. Then, when you start it the next time, don't go into tracking station. Go to VAB and launch anything, might've as well be a probe core. Then when you're on the launch pad, quickload.

There are other paths, as well, but the point is to avoid normal loading of the vessel and load the actual scene. It should be fine then.

I'd love to give you a perfect fix, but for a mod developer it's really hard to get perfect performance/compatibility, simply because I can't test on multiple PCs.

I have found the solution to this problem. All normal files need their alpha channel to be opaque, I've found around 50% is best.

Thank you, that worked!

So will this be converted to KopernicusTech in the next update or not?

It will.

I don't see any obvious offenders, aside from Kerbal Engineer. If removing that doesn't help then I suggest to do what lajoswinkler just suggested:

I'd love to give you a perfect fix, but for a mod developer it's really hard to get perfect performance/compatibility, simply because I can't test on multiple PCs.

Thank you, that worked!

It will.

Also does KopernicusTech work with the dds files?

I just tested it again. OPM works perfectly when i remove KerbalEngineer, so I guess that has to go then. It's a shame because KER is a very useful mod =(

But like I said, I really want OPM to work hehe

Thanks for the help anyways, and many thanks for an awesome mod !! =)

Nope, we're switching to PNG as a result of that. Still looks as good as ever too.

Some good news: I think I can get DDS textures working on KittopiaTech. If using DDS textures is really important for you, I suggest that you postpone the next version release, until I release an update for KopernicusTech (most likely a week from now; two weeks in the worst case).

Some good news: I think I can get DDS textures working on KittopiaTech. If using DDS textures is really important for you, I suggest that you postpone the next version release, until I release an update for KopernicusTech (most likely a week from now; two weeks in the worst case).

Ohai Gravitasi, you should make an optional Trans-Keptunian config for this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.