[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

I'd love to give you a perfect fix, but for a mod developer it's really hard to get perfect performance/compatibility, simply because I can't test on multiple PCs.

That's ok. The quality of this mod surpasses the occasional annoyance by the NaN error. Even though we now know KER+OPM combo is to blame, I'll continue using both simply because it's quite franky silly to plan mission to such distant places being totally blind about the vessel performance.

That's ok. The quality of this mod surpasses the occasional annoyance by the NaN error. Even though we now know KER+OPM combo is to blame, I'll continue using both simply because it's quite franky silly to plan mission to such distant places being totally blind about the vessel performance.

It is indeed silly to plan missions this far without the info KER provides.

I replaced KER with MechJeb simply for that, you don't have to use the autopilot feature, it can show you the info you need, just as KER.

I don't wanna go to these outer planets by just guessing hehe

When could we expect Sarnus' atmosphere to become aerobraking-friendly? What's with Urlum and Neidon? I've never sent anything there. If I am gonna send a manned mission so far away, I'll simply have to aerobrake. Too much fuel can be spared like that.

I tested some stuff today and eventually found myself in the atmospheres of the gas giants - the g loads experienced were actually quite friendly in the upper layers. I wonder, what exactly did you experience, and is it reproducible somehow?

I tested some stuff today and eventually found myself in the atmospheres of the gas giants - the g loads experienced were actually quite friendly in the upper layers. I wonder, what exactly did you experience, and is it reproducible somehow?

I too experience similar issues. When playing with deadly reentry I found that as soon as I entered the atmosphere, my craft was covered in red atmospheric effects and rather quickly afterwards, my ship was torn apart.

Within days hopefully. It never really used Kopernicus Core, which was mostly just an agreement of I use these numbers for planets and you use these, combined with singular terrain file. OPM only partially worked with that, because it changed so much. The next version drops RSS for terrain loading and uses Kittopia instead, which was previously used just for the rings. Kittopia doesn't support DDS, so we're not putting DDSLoader in the download either. PNG looks equally good and at the medium resolutions (2k for low detail bodies/4k for high detail planets) it doesn't load that much slower than the DDS textures either. The new solution, which people are calling KopernicusTech, fixes a lot of bugs and is just as stable if not more than the old RSS based version. Another advantage: no more separate RSS loading screen when you reach the main menu.

- - - Updated - - -

Some good news: I think I can get DDS textures working on KittopiaTech. If using DDS textures is really important for you, I suggest that you postpone the next version release, until I release an update for KopernicusTech (most likely a week from now; two weeks in the worst case).

Nah, we want to do it sooner rather than later. Textures are non-save breaking so can be changed at any time. If you manage to fix it within a few weeks, then we'll release a new update in a few weeks. No one will notice a difference with that update, aside from faster loading times. The problem seems to be in the Kittopia part, if it wasn't clear. DDS files load with DDSLoader in the Kopernicus section (ie. the map view normal and color map). The height map and terrain color map that I applied through Kittopia didn't work with DDSLoader however.

As in hazard-ish's case, DRE was to blame. I always use that mod, but I think DRE isn't compatible with OPM, at least not with Sarnus. The craft experiences enormous decceleration which turns on DRE's sound for high-G environment, and then some parts just break off because some parts that hold them together have lower G tolerances. Basically your craft will start disintegrating. It will not be complete, but you'll come from reentry speeds to Mach 1 or 2 in a few seconds even if you just skim the upper atmosphere. That renders aerobraking completely futile as you'll just sink into the planet, and it will happen on an ever decreasing speed so you'll effectively never going to reach the "surface".

Sarnus needs a rehaul of its atmosphere. Maybe the black-limb-darkening-of-the-rings has a hint or two?

I think when I installed this mod it comes with a slightly older file from RSS should I update to the latest version of that file or stay with the one included in the download for this mod? For greatest compatibility.

The update which first used RSS was released two weeks after the most recent RSS version (8.5 released on Dec 23), so I doubt that. Even if it is the case, the upcoming update ditches RSS and instead uses the already bundled Kittopia to load terrain (which is what RSS was used for). That will be out very soon, so it won't matter. In the meantime, just keep the bundled version. It works fine.

I too experience similar issues. When playing with deadly reentry I found that as soon as I entered the atmosphere, my craft was covered in red atmospheric effects and rather quickly afterwards, my ship was torn apart.

from what I can tell you are suggesting its a bug that with deadly reentry entering a gas giant's atmos is deadly

[0.90] Outer Planets Mod (1.5) - A Titan analog, bug fixes and other improvements [09-Feb-15]

Downloads

FRO6RIX.png WhwiS8Y.png

Installation note: If you're updating the mod, please do not overwrite the old version with the new one but delete it instead. This can prevent issues, as incompatible changes can be made between versions. A new save game for career mode is also recommended

-Added a new moon to Sarnus called Tekto

-Updated ModuleManager to version 2.5.9

-Switched the Kopernicus and KittopiaTech plugins to the KopernicusTech fork

-Moved terrain handling from RSS to KopernicusTech; RSS is now no longer included

-Switched textures to PNG, since KopernicusTech does not support DDS; DDSLoader is now no longer included

-Tweaked the rings of Sarnus and Urlum a bit, adjusted Hale and Ovok's orbits to compensate

-Increased the gravity of Hale and Ovok to enlarge the SoI to make it easier to get an encounter with the moons

-Tidally locked Hale and Slate to Sarnus

-Added a specialized Regolith/Karbonite config

-Added a way to disable biomes on the new bodies, as a bug applies the new biomes to the template bodies too. To disable these biomes, remove Kopernicus/Config/OPMBiomes.cfg

-Rebalanced the science multipliers of all bodies to compensate for the added planets and moons. The rebalanced multipliers for the stock planets can be disabled by removing Kopernicus/Config/StockScienceMultipliers.cfg

-Adjusted Plock's characteristics to make it less like Vall and more like Pluto

-Made Neidon start farther along in its orbit, so that it and Plock will never come too close

-Added a config for AntennaRange and RemoteTech that extends the range of the longest-range dishes to compensate for the expanded Kerbol system

-Added Astronomer's Visual Pack-compatible cloud configs for the planets and moons with atmospheres

Team

-CaptRobau

-Eudae55

Contributors

-Porkjet

-Akinesis

-tygoo7

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instructions for getting the EVE configs to work with your game

1. Ensure KSP is installed.

---------------------

2. Ensure the first 3 steps of Astronomer’s Visual Pack (AVP) are installed.

The image below is a screenshot from the AVP zip file. Ensure that these steps have been completed before continuing onto Step 2:

DB3DEyC.png

---------------------

3. Click on the “4th Step - Optional Features†folder and within the “Essential Features†folder, and install the contents of the “Auroras†and “Clouds for Eve & Jool†folders to your game directory:

YSiStfu.png

---------------------

4. That should be it but ensure that two configs “GasGiants†and “Tekto†are in the BoulderCo folder within your GameData folder. If you’re confused, see the note below.

rWIRkTL.png

---------------------

NOTE: If you installed AVP before OPM 1.5, you can extract OPM to the GameData folder normally and the OPM cloud configs will be placed automatically into the BoulderCo folder. Alternatively, if OPM 1.5 was installed before AVP, it should still work but ensure that your BoulderCo folder contains these two files:

---------------------

Edited by Eudae55

Actually, we didn't. When I created one for Tekto, it messed up other planets. When the game creates it in RAM on startup it works fine strangely enough.

Ah.

Also I can't get this to run on Windows 32bit with AVP, Socke's Parts, and VSR installed on half-res, with astronomer's performance improvement.

How did Eudae get it to work?

Ah.

Also I can't get this to run on Windows 32bit with AVP, Socke's Parts, and VSR installed on half-res, with astronomer's performance improvement.

How did Eudae get it to work?

And you have Astronomer's Interstellar V2 with both the Eve/Jool and Auroras extras applied? That's all that's required.

Yeah. I had that, all the essential features, and the wormhole sun.

Can you send me a screen shot of your 'Textures' folder within BoulderCo (the one that contains all the textures for the clouds)? I'd like to see what you have in there.

Excuse me CaptRobau, but how did you make the normal maps in this mod? I've never been able to get properly working normal maps in Kopernicus, and I'd love to know how you did it.

Photoshop allows you make normal maps, as does CrazyBump and many others. Those normal maps made are then made grayscale (works better for some reason I've heard) and I set the normal map to 50% opacity to make sure the lighting is applied correctly (otherwise it's at a 90 degree angle with the Sun in map view).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.