[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Nope I didn't tried. I just had a look into the cfg file given a few pages ago.

Adapting the cfg files to existing elements seems more than easy.

I think we can even created our own cloud maps without any trouble and give the planets an absolute feeling of unicity.

Btw I wonder if we can use apng files to create animations into the cloud layers - like rotating storms, appearing/vanishing clouds, volcano's ash ejection in the high atmosphere... whatever atmospheric phenomenon.

There was a mod that added a dust storm to duna, never got to see that in action tho.

Details? I had the same issue earlier then discovered it was just because I had accidentally downloaded the outdated version from kerbalstuff when the newest wasn't up yet, but was on curse.

I downloaded them in a very short time span. Maybe an hour or two. After the announcement that new version is up. Perhaps that was the problem.

That's the plan but I could not figure out how to manipulate KittopiaTech to change a pre-existing ocean into that colour.

Hopefully someone from the community can figure out how. I'm tempted to offer a gift on steam as a reward for their efforts. If anyone is game enough to try, let me know.

Eve has an opaque, gray-violet ocean. Maybe you could check that out? There could be a useful line of code for it somewhere.

out of curiosity, I noticed that the names of sarnus and neidon seem like a mix between the roman and greek god after which they are named (Saturn+Cronus and Neptune+Poseidon)

Is this intended or just a happy coincidence?

This could even be true for Urlum (Uranus+Caelum), but doesnt' seem to apply to Plock unless I'm missing something, and I'm pretty sure Spock wasn't the greek god of the underworld :D

I had forgotten about it, but that is what the names of Sarnus, Urlum and Neidon are based on. Hale is named after the voice actress for Commander Shepherd. Ovok is named after the Latin for egg plus the rarely used letter K (we initially intended for it to be more egg-shaped but we couldn't get it like that so it's spherical). Slate is named after the color, as we initially intended for it to be a carbon moon. After we moved away from that idea the name stuck nonetheless. Tekto was named by Porkjet, on whose work this moon was based.

I had forgotten about it, but that is what the names of Sarnus, Urlum and Neidon are based on. Hale is named after the voice actress for Commander Shepherd. Ovok is named after the Latin for egg plus the rarely used letter K (we initially intended for it to be more egg-shaped but we couldn't get it like that so it's spherical). Slate is named after the color, as we initially intended for it to be a carbon moon. After we moved away from that idea the name stuck nonetheless. Tekto was named by Porkjet, on whose work this moon was based.

Great choice then :D

--

regarding the water color problem, in the help file of kittopia it says:

Ocean tools allow you to edit various parts of the ocean PQS sphere. There are 3 functions: Add Ocean, Import Ocean Textures, and Hazourdous Ocean Module. When adding an ocean, select the basic template of the desired effect. When importing, remember to add all the files in "KittopiaSpace/Textures/<PlanetName>/Ocean/" You can specify images for each frame of animation, or just use Ocean_Def, note that this loads images in png format.

now, I don't have the faintest idea of what that means for OPM, but since you need to load a template for the ocean maybe loading the Eve template will give you a purple ocean? I don't have access to my ksp pc right now, I will check later.

On a unrelated note, I've seen that the texture for the rings is loaded automatically from the kittopia folder from a file named <planetname_rings.png>, Is it possible to make it load a file from another folder?

maybe adding a line somewhere that says

"RingTextures = myfolder/mySarnus_rings" (or something equivalent)

--

PS: is it really that difficult to make an egg shaped planet? doesn't putting a huge round mountain on one side work?

Edited by Sigma88

I'll look into that ocean stuff. Don't know about the rings.

Oh forgot to explain Plock. I think I was inspired by the Planet Factory moon Pock and sort of mixed that with Pluto. It just felt right for some reason, so I chose it.

We tried all sorts of solutions, including yours, but none really worked. Very strange.

Its weird... Is there a limit to what heightmaps can do, because all those asteroids ppl base on space engine also have highly irregular landscapes, and those do work... What about the PQSMod that PF uses for that oblateness, can Kittopia implement that, or is it some custom stuff Krag wrote?

Edit: Alright, found and resolved the issue that was keeping the 64K configs from working with OPM 1.5.2. New Download here, also edited original post.

Not much has changed, more .bin files (from kopernicus this time) and different handling of antennas (the two largest RT antennas will now reach every point in the kerbol system if it is working as intended).

Enjoy!

Edited by Tellion

I'll look into that ocean stuff. Don't know about the rings.

Oh forgot to explain Plock. I think I was inspired by the Planet Factory moon Pock and sort of mixed that with Pluto. It just felt right for some reason, so I chose it.

We tried all sorts of solutions, including yours, but none really worked. Very strange.

seems odd, this evening I'll check it out if it can interest you...

If you want to try this is what I have in mind

link

(you may need to use the negative image, I don't really know how the height map is generated, here I supposed BLACK (0,0,0) to be 0meters over sealevel and WHITE (255,255,255) to be the maximum height (defined in the system.cfg)

to have the correct scale you need to set the max height to 9664 meters over sealevel (or 22664 from the center of the planet, I'm not really sure how that variable is stored)

So I did pretty extensive testing of 1.5.2 last night and I ran into *no* problems with Kerbal Engineer Redux (1.0.15.0).

I tried 1.5.1 before the hot fix and found the same problems as before. as I understand it 1.5.2 just updated Kittopia so I think the newest version did the trick.

This is great mod, keep up the good work!

I have had only 1 problem with 1.5.2. I had the nan kraken after installing on a save hat had been upgraded from 1.4. I had KER installed but removing it did nothing for the problem. After I abandoned the save and started fresh no issues with the 2 mods installd 0 krakens so far in 10 or so hours.

well, I wanted to try the height thing but I don't find where you are supposed to load it O.o

How do you actually load terrain heights ?

What I mean is : what do I need to do to change the terrain height of a planet? (it's shape)

I thought it was a matter of producing the correct heightmap and load it into the game, but I can't find out how

Edited by Sigma88

Its weird... Is there a limit to what heightmaps can do, because all those asteroids ppl base on space engine also have highly irregular landscapes, and those do work... What about the PQSMod that PF uses for that oblateness, can Kittopia implement that, or is it some custom stuff Krag wrote?

Edit: Alright, found and resolved the issue that was keeping the 64K configs from working with OPM 1.5.2. New Download here, also edited original post.

Not much has changed, more .bin files (from kopernicus this time) and different handling of antennas (the two largest RT antennas will now reach every point in the kerbol system if it is working as intended).

Enjoy!

Yes, Planetfactory has a few custom PQS mods. PFOblate and PFOffset being two of them. However, there IS a PQSMod_VertexHeightOblate which will work if you add it through kittopiatech. The problem however is it will not save the mod, so each time you load the game you have to reapply it. I'v mentioned this to CaptRobau but without it saving it doesn't seem useful.

Also I believe the reason why the asteroids are easier to create is the heightmap is much more gradient in general and the planet has a much smaller radius which creates a larger difference in height giving the irregular shapes.

I know, but the thing that changed in 1.5.2 was not the Kittopia DLL but the Kopernicus DLL. Wanted to make clear what did what.

KopernicusTech also comes with a modified Kopernicus dll..

You should update to the new version.

Okay, OPM doesn't work with the new version. I'm working on a fix in addition to making it more modular.

Edited by _Augustus_

Hello again, guys!

My computer had some memory problems and I had to uninstall OPM, but the last versions were so compelling I HAD to try it again. I reinstalled today and, to my dismay, the clouds were missing (I don't use AVP, only EVE).

Then I tried this suggestion and the clouds were back. But Tekto had no visible clouds (at least seen from the observatory). So, I tried the GUI (Alt+N) but now GUI showed up... I'm using 64-bit Linux, even tried RShift+N and... nothing!

What else can I do? Or Tekto's clouds only show under AVP?

Yes, Planetfactory has a few custom PQS mods. PFOblate and PFOffset being two of them. However, there IS a PQSMod_VertexHeightOblate which will work if you add it through kittopiatech. The problem however is it will not save the mod, so each time you load the game you have to reapply it. I'v mentioned this to CaptRobau but without it saving it doesn't seem useful.

Also I believe the reason why the asteroids are easier to create is the heightmap is much more gradient in general and the planet has a much smaller radius which creates a larger difference in height giving the irregular shapes.

Not wanting to derail this thread too far, what about adding the PQSMod_VertexHeightOblate into the .cfg files in Kittopia instead of the ingame gui? Though that might be buggy as well...

Yes, you are probably right about that. So we could use higher resolution heightmaps if that is the problem, and if those are supported... Also PQSMod_VertexHeightMap and the heightMapOffset parameter maybe? Not sure what Cpt. Robau has already tried of those...

Hello again, guys!

My computer had some memory problems and I had to uninstall OPM, but the last versions were so compelling I HAD to try it again. I reinstalled today and, to my dismay, the clouds were missing (I don't use AVP, only EVE).

Then I tried this suggestion and the clouds were back. But Tekto had no visible clouds (at least seen from the observatory). So, I tried the GUI (Alt+N) but now GUI showed up... I'm using 64-bit Linux, even tried RShift+N and... nothing!

What else can I do? Or Tekto's clouds only show under AVP?

The clouds for now are an AVP only feature.

Is there any plans to make a config for clouds using Proot's Renaissance Compilation or some other clouds pack? I really don't like the look of AVP and I really want the clouds. Even if it's just made for the default EVE cloud pack.

Flef said he was going to make one. If nothing comes of it, I'll probably end up making a config for KSPRC as its my visual mod of choice.

Not wanting to derail this thread too far, what about adding the PQSMod_VertexHeightOblate into the .cfg files in Kittopia instead of the ingame gui? Though that might be buggy as well...

Yes, you are probably right about that. So we could use higher resolution heightmaps if that is the problem, and if those are supported... Also PQSMod_VertexHeightMap and the heightMapOffset parameter maybe? Not sure what Cpt. Robau has already tried of those...

Ok I just tested again as it seems my memory was a bit off. It will indeed save the PQS and load it as well. The problem comes when you try to export scaledmesh. It looks like the mesh only uses spheres or something, because the scaledmesh is still spherical in shape and not like what you see in the picture below.

tM0k6VM.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.