[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Hi,

I'm very interested in this mod. Seems great. and I've read in this thread that it seem to work in Linux 64 but I do not want to mess with my career game so I have a few questions.

My list of mods (huge and the reason I'm using linux x64) includes FAR, DRE and Kerbal Engineer. I've read that there is a problem with KE causing NaN. How bad is that problem?, anyone has found any workaround. I really love the newest version of KE specially in the construction screens so I don't want to loose it. My searching in this thread has not being conclusive and I've only encounter references to being a problem between both mods and that I will have to choose one of them.

also I would like to know If this has any problem, with a career or if I have to start a new one

Thank you in advance

Just a few comments....

1) Thank you so, so much for this. It's in the most literal sense a game-changer and all of your hard work and persistence is appreciated. If Squad don't get in touch to include this in 1.0 (or maybe 1.1) I will be shocked. And if they don't, I hope you will continue to maintain it. I'm still amazed by the commitment of the KSP modding community, from which I have personally benefitted...for free.

2) Since I'm busy Kerballing, I haven't read all 101 pages of this thread, but is there a list anywhere of the atmosphere heights and Dv requirements from Kerbin available please? No worries if not - I just want to keep my reference data up-to-date.

3) What happens if you try to "land" on a gas giant? I'm too scared to try and I remember that Jool would awaken the Kraken.

4) Does anyone else feel...uneasy when approaching the gas giants? I noticed this particularly with Sarnus, especially under time-warp when they get big fast. It's like you're approaching something so vast that it's simply going to annihilate you. Very similar to the way that Kernow felt about transferring to Discovery over Jupiter in "2010 - The Year We Made Contact". It might just be me, but there's... something about them.

ezrwzW6.jpg

I must say, I am realy, realy loving this mod!

CNwC8Ku.png

I haven't had much KSP-playing time recently, so I ended up visiting Tekto for the first time in my career mode save. Yes, I used solar panels for power(this might have had something to do with the fact I didn't have access to any RTGs when the transfer window opened).To deal with the power problem, I hibernated the craft when not actively maneuvering or transmitting science. The mission proved to be quite a success, dropping quite close to Sarnus, picking up the bulk of the science for low orbit, and swinging by Tekto on the way out of the system.

Curious about this new planet, I switched over to my testing save, and hyper-edited a space plane in for a landing on Tekto.

7L5M7fR.png

Anyway, after landing, I have to complain that the physics are a bit off. Namely, that atmosphere seems to be really, REALY tall for an atmosphere that far from the sun. You'd expect a cold, high-density atmosphere to cling very closely to its parent planet, not apparently being at the same height as Kerbin's.

Hi,

I'm very interested in this mod. Seems great. and I've read in this thread that it seem to work in Linux 64 but I do not want to mess with my career game so I have a few questions.

My list of mods (huge and the reason I'm using linux x64) includes FAR, DRE and Kerbal Engineer. I've read that there is a problem with KE causing NaN. How bad is that problem?, anyone has found any workaround. I really love the newest version of KE specially in the construction screens so I don't want to loose it. My searching in this thread has not being conclusive and I've only encounter references to being a problem between both mods and that I will have to choose one of them.

also I would like to know If this has any problem, with a career or if I have to start a new one

Thank you in advance

I have all 3 those mods and didn't have any problem aside the fact that you need a little of trial and error to aerobrake.

Never seen the NaN bug everyone was talking about, and I even started messing around with the .cfgs so that should have even worsened it.

I think it got resolved in some recent patch

Just a few comments....

1) Thank you so, so much for this. It's in the most literal sense a game-changer and all of your hard work and persistence is appreciated. If Squad don't get in touch to include this in 1.0 (or maybe 1.1) I will be shocked. And if they don't, I hope you will continue to maintain it. I'm still amazed by the commitment of the KSP modding community, from which I have personally benefitted...for free.

2) Since I'm busy Kerballing, I haven't read all 101 pages of this thread, but is there a list anywhere of the atmosphere heights and Dv requirements from Kerbin available please? No worries if not - I just want to keep my reference data up-to-date.

3) What happens if you try to "land" on a gas giant? I'm too scared to try and I remember that Jool would awaken the Kraken.

4) Does anyone else feel...uneasy when approaching the gas giants? I noticed this particularly with Sarnus, especially under time-warp when they get big fast. It's like you're approaching something so vast that it's simply going to annihilate you. Very similar to the way that Kernow felt about transferring to Discovery over Jupiter in "2010 - The Year We Made Contact". It might just be me, but there's... something about them.

http://i.imgur.com/ezrwzW6.jpg

2)

Glad you like it. Here's a rudimentary Delta-V overview.

Transfer Window Planner allows you to have a readout of the ideal transfer window to both the stock and this mod's celestial bodies. This makes planning a mission to Sarnus, Urlum or Neidon a whole lot more manageable.

3)

You should try that! :D

4)

Gas giants are the best, I use the cacteye mod and even just watching them from kerbin is something special.

Many thanks for the data, Sigma88 - much obliged.

3) I...won't for the moment. Might start a fresh sandbox to give it a go, but it sounds like the devs have tried and found it impossible.

4) That looks interesting. Like a Hubble sort of thing? Thanks for suggesting it.

Anyway, after landing, I have to complain that the physics are a bit off. Namely, that atmosphere seems to be really, REALY tall for an atmosphere that far from the sun. You'd expect a cold, high-density atmosphere to cling very closely to its parent planet, not apparently being at the same height as Kerbin's.

Well, if the stock planets did not have absolutely ridiculous densities, they would fail to retain atmospheres anyways, so expecting accuracy in that regard from a mod that is aimed at a stock experience is somewhat out of place. That aside, you can make a perfect case for a higher atmosphere on a body with a lower surface gravity just as well.

Hi,

Thank you in advance

The Kerbal Engineer problem has become less frequent with 1.5 and newer, but it still happens for a few people so I left it in. I say try it on a new sandbox save and if it doesn't happen you can use the mod combination in your normal saves. Careers don't need to started fresh to work with OPM. I'd back it up just in case though.

Just a few comments....

[...]

3) I...won't for the moment. Might start a fresh sandbox to give it a go, but it sounds like the devs have tried and found it impossible.

4) That looks interesting. Like a Hubble sort of thing? Thanks for suggesting it.

I must say, I am realy, realy loving this mod!

Thank you. Never tried landing on any of the gas giants however. It's difficult on Jool and I already know the result.

Tekto's apparent atmospheric density is caused by the moon's low gravity. This means you're not pulled down as much and as such you slow down much more easily than in Kerbin's atmosphere. This low gravity also influences the height of the atmosphere. Because the gravity is low, the atmospheric gases aren't pulled down to the moon as much as they would on a larger planet like Kerbin. As such the atmosphere extends farther out. This is all based on Tekto's inspiration, Titan. It has those same atmospheric quirks that I just explained.

Many thanks for the data, Sigma88 - much obliged.

basically there are 2 space telescope mods afaik, I went with cacteye because I like the models more than the other mod, I'm still trying to get a good configuration for my "Bhubble" tho

this mod (OPM) really is a blessing since my current game revolves around scansat and cacteye mostly, much more stuff to do

Edited by Sigma88

We're investigating moving back to DDS with the next update as KopernicusTech now supports that.

Does this mean that converting the v1.5.2 textures to DDS format will work right now? Or would I have to d/l a later version of KopernicusTech than is shipped with your mod?

Is anybody working on EVE configs for OPM not related to the Astronomer's Visual Pack? Currently, AVP seems to use virtually all of KSP's 32-bit memory allocation on its own, even with ATM.

I tried reverse engineering Tekto's clouds into the regular cloud config, but that either didn't change anything.

Is anybody working on EVE configs for OPM not related to the Astronomer's Visual Pack? Currently, AVP seems to use virtually all of KSP's 32-bit memory allocation on its own, even with ATM.

I tried reverse engineering Tekto's clouds into the regular cloud config, but that either didn't change anything.

I could potentially make a lightweight config that only uses the default EVE files?

There's also the KSPRC config a few pages back to try in the mean time.

I could potentially make a lightweight config that only uses the default EVE files?

There's also the KSPRC config a few pages back to try in the mean time.

Ohhh, that didn't come up in my search. Although I ended up having to go with Better Atmospheres on account of my obsessive compulsive modding. I'll give the KSPRC config a try and see if it works. Although a lightweight config would be appreciated either way, I think.

Ohhh, that didn't come up in my search. Although I ended up having to go with Better Atmospheres on account of my obsessive compulsive modding. I'll give the KSPRC config a try and see if it works. Although a lightweight config would be appreciated either way, I think.

I'm using KSPRC (just the environmental visual enhancement part) and it works like a charm in win 32

I'm using KSPRC (just the environmental visual enhancement part) and it works like a charm in win 32

Yeah, KSPRC is much more friendly to modding than AVP, but I'm doing some pretty heavy modding.

Also, confirming that the KSPRC module doesn't work with regular old EVE. Alas ;-;

If they don't show up, something's wrong :D. To find out what I'm going to need a few questions answered:

1. What OS are you running?

2. What version of KSP do you have installed (32 or 64-bit)?

3. Could you post here or PM a screenshot of your GameData directory?

4. Did you install the mod through CKAN?

4. Did you install the mod through CKAN?

Just FYI, it has been completely removed from CKAN. I had it installed (as far as it'd install) via CKAN and it's no longer on my CKAN list, so Ippo has completely removed the .netkan file. You shouldn't have to worry about CKAN installs anymore, at least until someone else requests it added or adds it themselves.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.