[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Did I read that correct? We're getting a comet? :)

I hope it will be highly eccentrical one. I remember Ascension from Planet Factory. It was difficult to rendezvous with it.

Long term plans. All that's truly solid at this point are moons for Urlum and Neidon. The rest is just vague ideas.

Does "no custom biomes" mean that the biomes are the same as the "base" body, but you get separate science? Or is it just one biome?

Also, do the outer planets give science greater than their base bodies? Or the same?

As for the comet, I'd like to see that! Although it would be a very difficult target. I wonder if we could use some creative gravity assists for that?

Well, here's a cool thing! Comet tails are possible in KSP when using KT! I allready made a comet with working particle tail when I was working with Augustus for OuterPlanetsPlus.

Does it create any lag?

Either way, though, if you can make a tail, I think the comet should be timed and positioned to fly by planets fairly often. Assuming you can see the tail (if it isn't too small or if the game doesn't have any issues with not being in the comet's SOI, I guess it would be possible to see the tail.)

I've noticed that all of Urlum's moons are rather heavily cratered. Perhaps this is due to the same event that knocked Urlum backwards?

Here's some ideas I have for the mod:

-Another asteroid in the Dres orbit area similar to Vesta or Pallas. Perhaps give it a moon.

-Another Joolean moon fulfilling the position of Callisto in the Galilean moon system.

-A small asteroid very close to Jool.

-A small asteroid very far away from Jool, in a particularly highly inclined orbit.

-A large Minmaloid comet.

-Neidon's version of Triton should spin prograde and very very quickly.

-Neidon should have a moon called Faz that resembles to old in-dev moon that would have orbited Eve.

--If possible, with crystal-shaped ground scatter (Or at least Pol-like scatter)

Edited by GregroxMun

I've noticed that all of Urlum's moons are rather heavily cratered. Perhaps this is due to the same event that knocked Urlum backwards?

Brilliant explanation.

I also think it's because Sarnus doesn't have any cratery moons and we needed some.

How about another moon for Urlum that has faint rings and a very thin oxygen atmosphere, Basically an analogue of saturns moon Rhea
I am not so keen on seeing a moon with rings myself. However, a moon with a thin atmosphere would be right up my alley. Something I would like to see, although it is unlikely to happen, is a moon with a thin (half-two thirds that of Dunas) oxygenated atmosphere with surface gravity of about 0.5-0.6G. That would be my ideal place :P

Also Urlum is my favorite gas giant added in this mod so if it were to orbit Urlum I would be literally over the moon.

On an unrelated note, CaptRobau and Eudae55, I was just discussing with a friends earlier and we both came to the conclusion that if we could only ever install one mod to KSP, it would definitely be OPM, I really appreciate the work you've done here and there is still much more to come :)

Does "no custom biomes" mean that the biomes are the same as the "base" body, but you get separate science? Or is it just one biome?

Also, do the outer planets give science greater than their base bodies? Or the same?

As for the comet, I'd like to see that! Although it would be a very difficult target. I wonder if we could use some creative gravity assists for that?

The science modifiers for the outer planets and moons has already been adjusted, so they give unique amounts of science. The biomes are duplicated. So there's a Moho Canyons biome and a Wal Canyons biome at the moment.

Does it create any lag?

Either way, though, if you can make a tail, I think the comet should be timed and positioned to fly by planets fairly often. Assuming you can see the tail (if it isn't too small or if the game doesn't have any issues with not being in the comet's SOI, I guess it would be possible to see the tail.)

Did some field tests months ago. Performance depends on the amount of particles you create for the comet tail. If you have a lot it's easy to look good, but it can run slowly. If you have less it'll take some more work to make it look convincing. It's something we'll have to figure out, but I'm sure it's doable in a way that both looks good and doesn't cause much slowdown.

On an unrelated note, CaptRobau and Eudae55, I was just discussing with a friends earlier and we both came to the conclusion that if we could only ever install one mod to KSP, it would definitely be OPM, I really appreciate the work you've done here and there is still much more to come :)

That means a lot.

Actually, turns out every moon is glitchy. There's an odd timewarp bug where you rotate and stop rotating and it's pretty darn glitchy.

I think it's because Urlum spins backwards. I think Sigma's thing to make Urlum go sideways should be implemented.

I'll check that out. Haven't noticed that myself yet, but maybe I missed it.

Sigma's Urlum thing is just a texture trick and not a good substitute for actual axial tilt. It works as a mini-mod, but for this mod it doesn't allow the stability or realism that we want to have. If the backwards spin makes the moons buggy then I'll just make Urlum spin normally. It might lose some of it's charm, but stability is worth it.

Edited by CaptRobau

How about another moon for Urlum that has faint rings and a very thin oxygen atmosphere, Basically an anologue of saturns moon Rhea

Rhea doesn't have an atmosphere. There is some incredibly weak water outgassing on it which is dissociated into oxygen species and CO2 molecules probably formed by the reactions of those species with surface tholins. Those particles leave Rhea, not forming any stable layer. It's often called an exosphere because it's similar to our exosphere. Rhea's surface probably has better vacuum than we can create in our laboratories, and the number of particles per unit of volume is similar to that of Moon.

KSP can't simulate vaning exospheres at all (not even close), that's the problem...

Edited by lajoswinkler

Sigma's Urlum thing is just a texture trick and not a good substitute for actual axial tilt. It works as a mini-mod, but for this mod it doesn't allow the stability or realism that we want to have. If the backwards spin makes the moons buggy then I'll just make Urlum spin normally. It might lose some of it's charm, but stability is worth it.

I was actually going to say the same thing. My tilted version of urlum needs the rotation of the planet to be set to zero and I understand that not everybody would like to exchange a proper rotation for a proper axial tilt.

I still think that there may be someone willing to make that trade, and that's the main reason why I made my expansion, and the same goes for the pluto-charon analogues.

Here's some ideas I have for the mod:

-Another asteroid in the Dres orbit area similar to Vesta or Pallas. Perhaps give it a moon.

-Another Joolean moon fulfilling the position of Callisto in the Galilean moon system.

-A small asteroid very close to Jool.

-A small asteroid very far away from Jool, in a particularly highly inclined orbit.

I've seen a lot of requests for changes to the Jool system and even the inner solar system and I have to say that I do not like the idea. I would like the mod to change thingsbeyond Jool, whilst everything within Jool's orbit, including Jool, remains unchanged. The addition of a comet is fine, but I really do not want to say the Jool system being tampered with.

I wouldn't mind at all if there were changes made but released as a separate mod, but just not this one.

Also, just as a suggestion, could the moons for Urlum be given higher inclinations? That way it would be easier to see the faint ring system.

Edited by hazard-ish

One of the things I like about this mod is that if something is added, it adds something to the gameplay, rather than repeating something that's already present just for the sake of adding it.

It also doesn't take the '

' approach to making new bodies.

Here is a config for Astronomer's Edge of Oblivion Pack:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Download: OPM-EoO-config.

Installation: Install OPM, EVE, AVP-EoO and the config above.

Note: Glow and auroras are stored in seperate files so they can be easily removed. Auroras look different in the Tracking Station.

I was actually going to say the same thing. My tilted version of urlum needs the rotation of the planet to be set to zero and I understand that not everybody would like to exchange a proper rotation for a proper axial tilt.

I still think that there may be someone willing to make that trade, and that's the main reason why I made my expansion, and the same goes for the pluto-charon analogues.

I will take that trade :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.