[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

With a fresh mind today I just found a workaround :D

After trying a few different ways to launch the game (with and without -popupwindow and -force-opengl), I tried launching from a command line from my KSP folder and it works! All that was needed was this (the parameters are obviously optional):

start KSP.exe -popupwindow -force-opengl

EDIT: I just remembered you saying on the OPP thread you had this on Linux, but I imagine there's a similar way of doing this

There is a similar function in linux. A command prompt that you can pop up just to run stuff, but even entering the entire directory structure and executable in the prompt still fails to allow the rings to show up :(

Does anyone know of a workaround to deal with contracts in career mode? Unfortunately as soon as contracts for the outer planets start appearing the whole system breaks (even if you don't accept them). Contracts vanish every time you switch between ships, and even if you try sticking with one ship all the way through it seems to have problems recognising when the contracts complete. I've had a look over at the Kopernicustech threads, but there don't seem to be any answers over there. Something to stop the game generating contracts for these planets would be tolerable.

I've been unable to find a work-around for this as well, except in the instance where I can SHIFT-F12, accept and complete a contract with no scene change.

I love the look of this mod, but until someone can get to the code that has broken the enviroment variables and contract issues, it's pretty much unplayable for career mode and normal game-play. If you're willing to start the game each time from a directory window and not deal with contracts, then I suppose it's working as intended.

Hello,

Harr what is this? I spent a week on OPM now I cant have contracts to work with it...shame...guess I will have to take a look see as that is the last part on my list...I wonder if Kittopia is breaking it...wait...Kopernicus puts the Kerbol System in a shell right...so...maybe contracts must go in a shell?

I am almost ready to SIM test in career mode and work on contracts for this...I kinda forgot there was an issue; I will take a look at it tonite that is tops on my list as I play CAREER !

(I've been unable to find a work-around for this as well, except in the instance where I can SHIFT-F12, accept and complete a contract with no scene change. - checking this ... I definitely dont want to touch Shift-F12 )

Cmdr Zeta

when you design a body there are two variables for something that basically is the same thing

mass and geeASL

where geeASL is the "g force at surface Level"

since you have mass and planet radius I fail to see why there should be a variable that tells you the gravitational accelleration at surface level: you can calculate it through this formula on this site

now, I haven't looked at the new expansion yet but you can easily check if the value for geeasl is not compatible with the mass and radius of the moon

when I tweak planets I usually just decide which mass and radius I want and then calculate the geeASL to match those.

NOTE:

be careful that the calculator I linked gives a result which is off by 10^11

if you put the mass in kg and radius in meters it will give you a result which is correct but multiplied by 10^11, if you want the correct number just move the floating point 11 places to the left

Yep, I can confirm, it's using geeASL and radius to calculate mass. Thank you sir/ma'am... crap, I'll have to check everything again. :D

Yep, I can confirm, it's using geeASL and radius to calculate mass. Thank you sir/ma'am... crap, I'll have to check everything again. :D

Sir is fine :D

even something less formal like "man" or whatever you want :)

by the way, I don't think it's using geeASL to calculate mass, I think it's using it to change the gravity pull of the body. But I'm not sure about that.

(since it's a computer game mass and gravity pull are related by a calculation and geeASL can change a number without affecting the other)

- - - Updated - - -

I've tried a few different things, with no success. I'm still guessing there is some enviroment variable off somewhere in Kopernicus/Kittopia that's causing it :(

I always start from a shortcut and have never seen this bug

Edited by Sigma88

i have some questions about this mod, as for now i have only alarm clock mod installed

At the moment these texture packs are unavailable. We noticed some inconsistencies between the various textures, this will take a little bit of time to check out (a day or so due to RL time constraints). The packs are removed to prevent problems from arising due to people installing the old textures over 1.6.

>> i read something in the whole post, is it mandatory to install texture replacer?? or can i refuse to do this

Supported Mods

Distant Object Enhancement adds flares for faraway planets and moons, so that they're visible even from Kerbin's surface (like in real-life). The Outer Planets Mod supports DOE and if installed, will display correctly colored flares for the new planets.

Environment Visual Enhancements adds clouds and other beautiful visual effects. Several specialized mods have been made based on EVE and OPM supports several:

OPM AVP Interstellar Edition (1.5.5) - Installation guide here

OPM KSPRC (1.5.5)

>> as these mods are all named "enhancements", are they some sort of work only together or assist each other? long time ago i used astronomers visual pack, there was also something called "enhancement" which was mandatory?! not sure anymore

>> is these "OPM AVP interstellar edition" different to astronomers visual pack 2? is this a complete installer which prepare the installation for direct use?

More will be added at a later date. The above packs should be installed last, after EVE, AVP or KSPRC and OPM.

>> what is KSPRC? the packs should be installed last.. what does that mean here, first EVE, then AVP, or KSPRC and OPM.. >> AVP or KSPRC? so they dont work together or is this misunderstanding?

or is this definitely a checklist, first eve second avp third KSPRC (whatever this is) fourth OPM?

The Windows 64-bit version of KSP causes many problems (with mods). As such it can be considered incompatible with OPM.

>> okay this one is a little bit shocking, so if i want to try and/or use this mod for long term, i should use 32bit version right?! but, what negative benefit i will get from that? ;) lower performance or what, i really like to know

thx for reading and fly safe

i read something in the whole post, is it mandatory to install texture replacer?? or can i refuse to do this

No, you don't need to use texture replacer

as these mods are all named "enhancements", are they some sort of work only together or assist each other? long time ago i used astronomers visual pack, there was also something called "enhancement" which was mandatory?! not sure anymore

They are two different mods, you can use none, either one or both. It's completely up to you.

DOE will render distant ships and give different colors to the planets when they appear as dots in the sky, it also gives the option of showing the name of a planet or ship when putting the mouse over it

EVE is a clouds mod basically, it will add clouds to the planets and moons that have atmosphere

is these "OPM AVP interstellar edition" different to astronomers visual pack 2? is this a complete installer which prepare the installation for direct use?

don't know about AVPinterstellas vs AVP2, but I don't think they are installers, I think it's just an additional pack you need to install after OPM if you want to make it compatible with those cloud mods

what is KSPRC? the packs should be installed last.. what does that mean here, first EVE, then AVP, or KSPRC and OPM.. >> AVP or KSPRC? so they dont work together or is this misunderstanding?

or is this definitely a checklist, first eve second avp third KSPRC (whatever this is) fourth OPM?

KSPRC

Those are all clouds mod, so generally I think you want to use just one. There may be people using more than one but I don't really know about that.

as for the installation, you should do it like that:

1- KSP clean install with whatever mod you want to use (like alarm clock) (except for OPM and cloud mods)

2- Cloud MOD of your choice

3- OPM

4- OPM cloud pack (specific for the cloud mod you choose at point 2)

okay this one is a little bit shocking, so if i want to try and/or use this mod for long term, i should use 32bit version right?! but, what negative benefit i will get from that? ;) lower performance or what, i really like to know

yeah, you need to use the 32bit, idk if it works on the 64.

negatives are:

reduced RAM pool (32 bit can't use more than 4Gb of ram)

less processor power for physics calculations (higher lag with big ships)

basically is like having a ferrari and going around at walking speed. It's nice to do, but you would like to go faster.

have fun ;)

Hi CaptRobau, I am sure that you are aware of this and considered implementing it anyway, but I was just wondering if Neidon will get a very faint ring system, similar to the one around Urlum? I can't see this as being a big change but then again, I have no idea how hard it would be to implement it anyway! I was just wondering since it can only help to make the planet a little bit more interesting but I don't really mind either way :)

Hi CaptRobau, I am sure that you are aware of this and considered implementing it anyway, but I was just wondering if Neidon will get a very faint ring system, similar to the one around Urlum? I can't see this as being a big change but then again, I have no idea how hard it would be to implement it anyway! I was just wondering since it can only help to make the planet a little bit more interesting but I don't really mind either way :)

The difficulty is close to zero, you should be able to do it yourself if you really would like to have rings. you just need to add something to the kittopia config and maybe make a new texture (if you don't want to use the same of urlum's rings)

Since it would be easy to do I guess that neidon is ringless on purpose, you know how they say: "if everybody is special, then nobody is"

anyway neidon is the only ringless gas giant in OPM, so it's still something interesting to see :D

If you want some more info on how to add rings just let me know

Anybody that is having contractual issues with these planets, would you mind being more specific about what is happening? Accept a contract, switch scenes so it disappears. When it disappears, check your debug log with Alt-F12 -> Debug. Near the bottom there will almost assuredly be an error of some sort. Post that error, or an actual copy of your output_log.txt here.

That would be much more helpful in terms of diagnosing the issue.

Anybody that is having contractual issues with these planets, would you mind being more specific about what is happening? Accept a contract, switch scenes so it disappears. When it disappears, check your debug log with Alt-F12 -> Debug. Near the bottom there will almost assuredly be an error of some sort. Post that error, or an actual copy of your output_log.txt here.

That would be much more helpful in terms of diagnosing the issue.

I detailed it several pages ago, post 1415.

Simply put, the contract system seems to reload itself on every scene change, if you have SHIFT-F12 open, you can see it in action. ANY OPM based contract that is active gets wiped clean upon a scene change. That includes being in the contract building and then just exiting.

Also, any advance money you receive, you keep. That does not go away.

I was asked about this by another user a while back, I forget the name, but she was making a mod with multiple star systems that was having a similar issue. I don't know much about how custom celestials work, but in my brief time looking into this, this is what I noticed.

Contracts can handle CelestialBodies with custom properties, as NathanKell of RSS can attest, but each body needs to be unique. To be more specific, I think the issue lies in how Kopernicus uses template PSystemBodies. In the Outer Planets mod, Neidon, Sarnus, and Urlum are all templated off of Jool. Plock is templated off of Vall. Once the template is loaded, it has many values and maps overwritten with custom ones, but the fact that it is being loaded off of a stock planet remains, and it even looks like it might have been assigned by reference, which means things are being overwritten on the template planet. I can see how stock code might get disoriented.

Edited by Arsonide

I don't have logs right now, but the last time I saw this it was giving an IndexOutOfRangeException array error when trying to access FlightGlobals.Bodies[]. My assumption was that, for whatever reason, the flightGlobalsIndex for OPM bodies is not being updated before the contract system loads.

I don't have logs right now, but the last time I saw this it was giving an IndexOutOfRangeException array error when trying to access FlightGlobals.Bodies[]. My assumption was that, for whatever reason, the flightGlobalsIndex for OPM bodies is not being updated before the contract system loads.

This would explain things, if it was trying to access these planets before their indices were set up, but they should set up at the same time as the other planets.

I still put my money here. With three planets in OPM templated off of Jool, this line can't be good. Of those three planets, I imagine only the last one is getting a proper flightGlobalsIndex. Is there any way to spawn these planets without a template? If you look down below, Kopernicus does seem to support this.

Edited by Arsonide

Hello,

I read the posts...interesting to see that templates of other planetes/moons are causing this issue.

Wouldnt this mean simply building a planet/moon without a template from KSP (?); ie...

I guess I said what I mean !

I will look through all of them; I will make a mission to say Neidon...well I did some tests last night I can barely get to Duna (!) but I will figure something out; I want to get my MODS loaded and ATM running I guess while I do a chore: I think my game is ready then I can look at making contracts (I have already done that but I mean to an OPM moon say).

My Kittopia sets up basic cfgs for Urlum, Neidon, and Sarnus and one other un-named (!) planet; mine have NO ScaledSpace bin files attached; I amusing Hyperedit to place all my Planets/Moons and have saved all their data in Hyperedit; something I never knew I could do before; once those chages were made I dont touch anything in real missions...

Could this then be a Kopernicus Career Contracts Issue (not Kittopia just to clarify)...I guess Kopernicus is quite the program...

Cmdr Zeta

Edited by Cdr_Zeta

CaptRobau, Kopernicus will soon have a stand-alone PQS system. Keep that in mind for the next update.

I'll definitely keep my eye on it, didn't know it was back into heavy development. If they can also handle rings there's nothing that would keep me with Kittopia (using less mods is always better).

The Windows 64-bit version of KSP causes many problems (with mods). As such it can be considered incompatible with OPM.

>> okay this one is a little bit shocking, so if i want to try and/or use this mod for long term, i should use 32bit version right?! but, what negative benefit i will get from that? ;) lower performance or what, i really like to know

thx for reading and fly safe

The other questions have already been handled successfully by others, so I'll only respond to this one. 64-bit Windows KSP is so buggy and crappy that none of the major mod developers will develop for it. Even Squad is dropping support for a 64-bit Windows version with 1.0 as it's caused nothing but trouble. Only when they can get a 64-bit version working without problems will KSP and its mods be able to really take advantage of the power of 64-bit. It's a bummer, but that's just the way it is. For the moment, we're making due in some clever ways, which is also cool (you won't believe how efficient some of the best devs can make their mods).

I'm with Sigma88 here "if everybody is special, then nobody is". Saturn and Uranus have the most unique rings in the solar system so I wanted to represent them, but a complete recreation of all of the solar system's rings (which includes also Jool as well as Neptune) is just not that interesting to me.

I was asked about this by another user a while back, I forget the name, but she was making a mod with multiple star systems that was having a similar issue. I don't know much about how custom celestials work, but in my brief time looking into this, this is what I noticed.

Contracts can handle CelestialBodies with custom properties, as NathanKell of RSS can attest, but each body needs to be unique. To be more specific, I think the issue lies in how Kopernicus uses template PSystemBodies. In the Outer Planets mod, Neidon, Sarnus, and Urlum are all templated off of Jool. Plock is templated off of Vall. Once the template is loaded, it has many values and maps overwritten with custom ones, but the fact that it is being loaded off of a stock planet remains, and it even looks like it might have been assigned by reference, which means things are being overwritten on the template planet. I can see how stock code might get disoriented.

Only Jool is templated more than once. That being said I should do a test to see if the problem persists if there's only one gas giant, aka no templates reused. It'd be nice to localize the problem. It wouldn't solve it, but knowing the background of the bug would be a start.

Hello,

I read the posts...interesting to see that templates of other planetes/moons are causing this issue.

Wouldnt this mean simply building a planet/moon without a template from KSP (?); ie...

I guess I said what I mean !

I will look through all of them; I will make a mission to say Neidon...well I did some tests last night I can barely get to Duna (!) but I will figure something out; I want to get my MODS loaded and ATM running I guess while I do a chore: I think my game is ready then I can look at making contracts (I have already done that but I mean to an OPM moon say).

My Kittopia sets up basic cfgs for Urlum, Neidon, and Sarnus and one other un-named (!) planet; mine have NO ScaledSpace bin files attached; I amusing Hyperedit to place all my Planets/Moons and have saved all their data in Hyperedit; something I never knew I could do before; once those chages were made I dont touch anything in real missions...

Could this then be a Kopernicus Career Contracts Issue (not Kittopia just to clarify)...I guess Kopernicus is quite the program...

Cmdr Zeta

Kopernicus is sorta based on around using templates. Only one highly experimental planet has ever been made without a planet and it's a lot of work (which almost no-one knows much about). Everything up to now in OPM kind of work. Personally I'd rather see the developers of Kopernicus tackle the problem with template intact.

I'll definitely keep my eye on it, didn't know it was back into heavy development. If they can also handle rings there's nothing that would keep me with Kittopia (using less mods is always better).

The other questions have already been handled successfully by others, so I'll only respond to this one. 64-bit Windows KSP is so buggy and crappy that none of the major mod developers will develop for it. Even Squad is dropping support for a 64-bit Windows version with 1.0 as it's caused nothing but trouble. Only when they can get a 64-bit version working without problems will KSP and its mods be able to really take advantage of the power of 64-bit. It's a bummer, but that's just the way it is. For the moment, we're making due in some clever ways, which is also cool (you won't believe how efficient some of the best devs can make their mods).

I'm with Sigma88 here "if everybody is special, then nobody is". Saturn and Uranus have the most unique rings in the solar system so I wanted to represent them, but a complete recreation of all of the solar system's rings (which includes also Jool as well as Neptune) is just not that interesting to me.

Only Jool is templated more than once. That being said I should do a test to see if the problem persists if there's only one gas giant, aka no templates reused. It'd be nice to localize the problem. It wouldn't solve it, but knowing the background of the bug would be a start.

Kopernicus is sorta based on around using templates. Only one highly experimental planet has ever been made without a planet and it's a lot of work (which almost no-one knows much about). Everything up to now in OPM kind of work. Personally I'd rather see the developers of Kopernicus tackle the problem with template intact.

Templates won't be needed (except for gas giants) in the next version.

Also rings are already possible :)

Templates won't be needed (except for gas giants) in the next version.

Also rings are already possible :)

That's good to hear.

I love your mod all the planets look so cool but I've installed the mod and the planets are not in the game (I've installed a few mods before) do you have any installation tips?

Download the mod, extract the mod and put the GameData in KSP_WIN and say yes to overwriting stuff. That should make everything work correctly. Only thing that can ruin it then is some incompatible mod. Check the OP of this thread for more info on that.

Yes, I wish I had time to assist further, but I'm pretty busy these days. :P If I had to choose where to proceed with nailing this down, it would be to isolate one of these multi-templated planets by removing two of the others temporarily, and see if the problem continues. At least then you could rule it out as a possibility.

Best of luck!

That's good to hear.

Download the mod, extract the mod and put the GameData in KSP_WIN and say yes to overwriting stuff. That should make everything work correctly. Only thing that can ruin it then is some incompatible mod. Check the OP of this thread for more info on that.

Ok will do thank you for your help!

So I'm have a strange bug, which may not actually be a bug, but I can't figure out what is causing it. I have a probe in Jool's SOI with two large solar panels whose batteries will only discharge, not charge. I'm thinking this has something to do with either KSP Interstellar mod (the latest Freethinker version) or Outer Planets mod. I know that the Outer Planets mod by default has a CFG file that changes the solar panel effectiveness curve, and this file was in place when the vessel entered Jool's SOI, but I have since deleted it, shouldn't that go back to the default solar panel curve? Do I need to do something else?

From the sound of it, it's probably not related to the solar panels. Two large solar panels would give you power even in Jool orbit. Only beyond that would it be troubling even with the big ones. And it would right itself once it was deinstalled, but that didn't happen. So it sounds like it's Interstellar's fault.

- - - Updated - - -

So, there is no fix for it? Career mode is just broken with this mod?

It would appear so. Science Career should work fine, as would Sandbox

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.