[1.2.1] Outer Planets Mod (2.1) - Active development has moved, see first post for new thread

CaptRobau

Slate is done and update 1.3 is currently in the Quality Assurance (QA) phase. We want to make sure that everything works advertised. We won't share any pics of Slate before release, because we want to really surprise you. It is without a doubt Eudea55s best work so far and it'd just be unfair to dangle a screenshot in front of you without the ability to take a look yourself in-game.

Slate is done and update 1.3 is currently in the Quality Assurance (QA) phase. We want to make sure that everything works advertised. We won't share any pics of Slate before release, because we want to really surprise you. It is without a doubt Eudea55s best work so far and it'd just be unfair to dangle a screenshot in front of you without the ability to take a look yourself in-game.

Wow that is great news! Thanks for the update - I look forward to discovering Slate for myself soon! :)

By the way, (sorry if this has been asked before) will the moons have biomes? Obviously Eeloo will and if Hale and Ovok don't I don't mind so much because they are very small but I would like to know about Slate.

If Ovak is nothing but a perfectly round sphere it doesn't make much sense for it to have biomes in my opinion.

If Ovak is nothing but a perfectly round sphere it doesn't make much sense for it to have biomes in my opinion.

Well if you look at the picture you will see that it has smaller, circular areas that are darker than the rest of the moon. That implies that they are of a different composition so could give different science results. I didn't really mind whether there were biomes or not, I was just wondering! :P

Edited by hazard-ish

Well if you look at the picture you will see that it has smaller, circular areas that are darker than the rest of the moon. That implies that it is of a different composition so could give different science results. I didn't really mind whether there were biomes or not, I was just wondering! :P

What picture?

I've been looking through this thread and I can't find a pic of a moon except the one with Jeb on the surface of a very small one

Awesome! Can't wait to use it! :)

Well if you look at the picture you will see that it has smaller, circular areas that are darker than the rest of the moon. That implies that they are of a different composition so could give different science results. I didn't really mind whether there were biomes or not, I was just wondering! :P

It will have different biomes because of that, just not in 1.3. The update after that will be about adding things like unique biomes and such.

It will have different biomes because of that, just not in 1.3. The update after that will be about adding things like unique biomes and such.

Awesome! Due to their size, I wasn't expecting biomes but this is really exciting. :)

Hopefully there isn't too long to wait until I can get my hands on the new update!

This addon seems really interesting, but I'd like it better if the planets were a bit closer to the Sun. I don't really like subjecting my Kerbals to 20-year journey times. If I can clear up enough RAM to install this, I might just edit the configs for my personal use. I will definitely be keeping an eye on this.

This addon seems really interesting, but I'd like it better if the planets were a bit closer to the Sun. I don't really like subjecting my Kerbals to 20-year journey times. If I can clear up enough RAM to install this, I might just edit the configs for my personal use. I will definitely be keeping an eye on this.

They are supposed to be outer planets though, that's kind of the point. It adds extra challenge to veteran players where the stock planets have none anymore.

In the next update they'll get unique biomes and science blurbs to go with them. For now they just have the biomes of the template body they're based on. Hale is Gilly, Ovok is Minmus and Slate is Duna.

Do the moons have actual new terrain? Are they different sizes than their template bodies? Or are they just retextures of the stock planets/moons?

EDIT: Clearly they have different terrain, upon reviewing their images.

1.3 is now out!

After a lot of waiting, the day is finally here: 1.3 is out! The update that adds the first real moons. Below is the changelog:

-Updated KittopiaTech to version 0.19
-Moved Eeloo to an orbit around Sarnus
-Made a new Pluto analog called Plock
-Added two new moons to Sarnus: Hale, Ovok and Slate
-Changed Sarnus' ring texture to realistically fit Hale in
-Added support for FinalFrontier
-Changed Urlum from a retrograde orbit to a prograde orbit
-Made Urlum rotate in a retrograde direction and changed description to reflect that
-Switched from PNG to DDS textures
-Redid time warp speeds using RSS, it can now go from x1-x1,000,000
-Changed scale heights and max altitude of the new gas giant's atmospheres
-Halved the spawn rates of OPMs procedural asteroid moonlets
-Updated ModuleManager to version 2.5.8
-Moved the PlanetShine config into the base one, to get it to work correctly

Notes:

-No unique biomes yet. The new moons do have the biomes of their template body

-Kopernicus is not RAM hungry like PlanetFactory:CE, so performance should be good compared to stock

-Plock is only a placeholder planet which looks like Vall. In the future we'll make a decent Pluto analog that's better than this and the stock Eeloo

-The OP of this thread hasn't been updated yet, but I wanted to get you the mod itself first.

FRO6RIX.png WhwiS8Y.png

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by CaptRobau

Slate really looks awesome! Great job to all those involved. I can't wait to visit!

You might want to mention that Plock is just Vall with a tweaked orbit for the moment, if I understood your reddit post correctly.

A retrograde rotation for Urlum is certainly less challenging (and in my opinion, interesting) than a retrograde orbit, although certainly more realistic. What made you decide to change it?

Edited by Jodo42

That's true. Added it to the post above.

To clarify: it's a copy of Vall (Vall still exists in its original place) which has the same orbit as the Eeloo between in OPM 1.0-1.2.1. In the future we'll make a decent Pluto system analog that's better than this placeholder or the stock Eeloo

Well I just did a quick and dirty landing on Slate, and I have to say I'm impressed although I was kind of expecting an atmosphere. Good work, I like it. I would suggest doing something to Plock to make it different from stock Vall, even if it is a placeholder. Tweak the deformity a little or something that can be done in a few minutes just so the terrain isn't exactly like stock.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a request. Could the names be a little more imaginative. Sarnus, Neidon, Urlum and Plock just made me facepalm when I read them.

What's wrong with the names? Are they not orginal? I haven't heard of them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.