Need some Help/Opinions

Recognize-Me-

This is a part I am creating that is intended to be a Small Radial Liquid Fuel Tank. I have very little modding experience which is why it is a very bad texture. If you would like to help with the texturing just let me know because I could use any help I can get. I will be trying to get the part into the game tonight and hopefully get it working by tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I'm able to get the part into the game but I'm having a few problems I can't figure out. I'm trying to make it radially attach but also have a node on top and bottom to put an engine and nose cone cant figure out how to do that. Also when I do attach it it attaches somewhere in the middle of the part rather than on the support legs. And lastly after I attach the part or click off the part I can't grab my part again and I don't know how to fix that. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is the cfg. File for the part. I took the cfg file of the oscar-b fuel tank and changed a few things. Mainly i took the //attachment rules of the Radial Monopropellent Tank hoping that would make it radially attachable. Not that good at making cfg. files but i can understand the basics of how to change them.

PART{
name = Radial Fuel Tank
module = Part
author = Recognize-Me-

mesh = model.mu
rescaleFactor = .3

node_stack_top = 0.0, .3, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -.3, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0

TechRequired = precisionEngineering
entryCost = 4200
cost = 180
category = FuelTank
subcategory = 0
title = Radial LF Tank
manufacturer = Recognize Industries
description = A Small Radial Liquid Fuel Tank ment to be put on small crafts that need Liquid Fuel.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 0,1,0,0,1

mass = 0.015
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.15
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 6
maxTemp = 2900
breakingForce = 50
breakingTorque = 50

RESOURCE
{
name = LiquidFuel
amount = 90
maxAmount = 90
}

RESOURCE
{
name = Oxidizer
amount = 100
maxAmount = 100
}
}

Edited by Recognize-Me-
Developing the part

Could you maybe rephrase the question? I'm not sure exactly what you need help with. Also have you look at this thread here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/94638 it contains allot of useful information on many aspects of modding in KSP

I've been through that thread a lot. Couple of questions, What do you think of the part so far? Any tips on how to make textures or how to find someone that could maybe try to make one for it? Lastly, Do you know how to get the imgur album on here?

I've been through that thread a lot. Couple of questions, What do you think of the part so far? Any tips on how to make textures or how to find someone that could maybe try to make one for it? Lastly, Do you know how to get the imgur album on here?
I think its a great looking part. Texturing is not really something I have mastered. I'm in the same boat as you really with texturing. I'm sure though someone will step up and help you create one or be able to make something for you. Here is a list of all the forum codes, search for album http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/misc.php?do=bbcode Edited by JeffersonFlight

Great looking part! A good atart is to have a UV map with gaps between the islands(if your lazy like me use the smart unwrap and set the gap to 0.03).

Then bake an Ambient Occlusion map, here is a tutorial: http://vimeo.com/70983975. This should give you a good base to start on. What you do next depends if your going for stock or realistic texturing. Hope this helps

It's looking great! What's the tricount like?

As for texturing - there are lots of tutorials out there... that can be frustrating, because you kind of have to watch several of them texturing different stuff and then use that inductive reasoning to apply some from each tutorial to what you're texturing. I'm in no way great at it, but I'm getting better every time I try.

For starters, unwrap in pieces. If you select the whole thing and try any of the unwrap methods you'll get a convoluted mess that will leave you chasing the right poly all over the map. So, you'd mark a seam down the bottom of the round 'can' and then unwrap the sides, then, separately, the ends. The brackets you'd do the same way - I'd do each 'flat' end of them separately, then do the 'sides' that are curved to follow around the tank. This may or may not help now, but it's much easier to unwrap things if they're separate objects still, and frequently I'll try to unwrap things a bit as I build them, while the geometry is simpler, then, of course, go back and adjust it later as the details take shape..

You MAY find someone else to help... those that are really good at it are usually very busy with their own projects though. The best advice I can give for that is - slap your best texture effort on it for now, then move on and get it into the game and working. If you demonstrate that you've got everything else done and ready to go, you're more likely to find a texture artist, because nobody wants to spend a couple of hours on something that might get abandoned before it gets finished.

I hope some of that helps! The best advice is to just push through it and ask specific questions when you get stuck. :) And don't be afraid to just do it and go back and do it again in a few weeks after you learn more. My first real project was a complete space plane, and I got it all the way through to the unwrapping phase, and realized I'd make something practically impossible to unwrap cleanly... so I threw it away and started all the way back at a cube and modeled it again... but I'd learned so much along the way that the second pass turned out WAY better than the first one anyway, and went way quicker.

Art

I think its a great looking part. Texturing is not really something I have mastered. I'm in the same boat as you really with texturing. I'm sure though someone will step up and help you create one or be able to make something for you. Here is a list of all the forum codes, search for album http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/misc.php?do=bbcode
Found the code but I cant figure out what code goes in the middle.

It's looking great! What's the tricount like?

As for texturing - there are lots of tutorials out there... that can be frustrating, because you kind of have to watch several of them texturing different stuff and then use that inductive reasoning to apply some from each tutorial to what you're texturing. I'm in no way great at it, but I'm getting better every time I try.

For starters, unwrap in pieces. If you select the whole thing and try any of the unwrap methods you'll get a convoluted mess that will leave you chasing the right poly all over the map. So, you'd mark a seam down the bottom of the round 'can' and then unwrap the sides, then, separately, the ends. The brackets you'd do the same way - I'd do each 'flat' end of them separately, then do the 'sides' that are curved to follow around the tank. This may or may not help now, but it's much easier to unwrap things if they're separate objects still, and frequently I'll try to unwrap things a bit as I build them, while the geometry is simpler, then, of course, go back and adjust it later as the details take shape..

You MAY find someone else to help... those that are really good at it are usually very busy with their own projects though. The best advice I can give for that is - slap your best texture effort on it for now, then move on and get it into the game and working. If you demonstrate that you've got everything else done and ready to go, you're more likely to find a texture artist, because nobody wants to spend a couple of hours on something that might get abandoned before it gets finished.

I hope some of that helps! The best advice is to just push through it and ask specific questions when you get stuck. :) And don't be afraid to just do it and go back and do it again in a few weeks after you learn more. My first real project was a complete space plane, and I got it all the way through to the unwrapping phase, and realized I'd make something practically impossible to unwrap cleanly... so I threw it away and started all the way back at a cube and modeled it again... but I'd learned so much along the way that the second pass turned out WAY better than the first one anyway, and went way quicker.

Art

The tricount is 2050 but I don't know if that's high or low and not really sure how to make it less. I'm still very new at making parts and don't know all the tricks to take the tricount down.

I'm taking your advice and unwrapping it myself with a lot of seams and the edges are lining up a lot better.

I'll try to work out the best texture I can but not sure how great its going to make the part look. But I do REALLY want to get my part in the game and at least somewhat fuctioning so I've got some work to do tonight.

Thanks for the help Art will put up new pic later!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.