KSP player leveling system.

Hallofo

13 hours ago, Archgeek said:

And hot dang but the forum move broke that OP.  Necros serve as a grim reminder: smart quotes suck.

Yeah, no kiddin'.

Couldn't stand it anymore so I took the liberty of tidying up the ASCII garbage in the OP that got caused by the forum migration process, just for readability's sake.  (The garbage is still there in all the old responses to the OP, I'm not about to take the time to address those.  But at least you can read the OP now.)

NOTE:  This is a one-off.  Not gonna make a habit of this kind of thing.  Just sayin'.  Don't get expectations up.  :P

On 12/22/2014 at 6:50 PM, 5thHorseman said:

I'm somewhere between 5 and 6. I'll never make or maintain a full-blown mod and will also continue to play other games, but I've done a bit more than put up "a few YouTube videos" :D

I'm also not intimidated by Scott Manley though he still knows more than I do.

I guess I'm still where I was 2.5 years ago, though a bit closer to 6 now than I was. I have made and maintained several mods (never say never) but I continue to play other games (more so, in fact)

I'm still not intimidated by Scott Manley, and he still knows more than I do.

3 hours ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

Not sure where to put myself.

I used the rule of thumb of choosing what best applied to me. I don't make mods or videos, I don't subscribe to many youtube channels, I've played with mods but mostly stick to stock when I play these days, and I've been to a few of the Jool moons and back, but I haven't been to every planet. I feel confident I could get to every planet/moon and back from most, so Level 4 seems the most appropriate.

Edited by Mako

Crafts can get into orbit? I thought this was firework simulation software. 

So, are you saying you could put five fireworks in orbit at different orbital planes and synchronize their deorbit to form a perfect star of streaking fire from the sky that explode simultaneously over the Kerbal Space Center just as you use a plethora solid fuel boosters to blow up multiple Kerbodyne S3-14400 Tanks?

That would be spectacular.

And I do feel somewhat inadequate.

• 2 weeks later...

Level 4. 

I've done a Jool 5 mission, been to Eve and back, sent SSTOS to Minmus, and (almost) beat the Retrograde Rescue Challenge... :( 

I feel pity for new players and scream inside my head when they pronounce 'EVA' like the name Eva. 

lvl 2-4. I made it to both moons and orbit. Cant build a plane to save my life lol. Haven't made it past minimus (thought currently trying for duna) and have been downloading mods for ksp since about the 3rd month I owned it (I really needed new parts and LS lol... then I kind of got a bit mod crazy). I've never watched scot manly but I did watch Marcus house (who is just as good imho). Currently attempting to make a part mod (once I learn how)

I believe I am somewhere between 3-4, but haven't gotten a single stock SSTO to work ever (on my own). Parts mods (minus models and animation) don't seem too hard, but I see your point. Have you added the aspect where you start pulling a Danny every now and then into the leveling system...

Spoiler

Ya know Danny2462 LOVES an app... THE SAVE FILE EDITING APP!!!!!!!!

I guess I'm at 5.x

I've put in some 2000-3000 hours since I started playing 3 years ago. I'm not certain how many as I stopped launching through steam about 18 months ago and I had 1563 hours racked up by then. I've landed and returned from every solid body many times, flown a couple of spaceplanes (I'm a rocketer not a bird) and entered a bunch of competitions, even started a few.

"Other games don't exist for you" - check... well KSP hasn't stopped me from buying other games, just playing them. I bought the most recent Doom game and haven't played it yet when it was in the Steam summer sale... last year's summer sale that is. Same goes for several other games.

"Mod players just won't play now without their favorites." - Check... I recently realised that Planetshine doesn't seem to work on EVAing kerbals any more (it used to) which is disturbing me more than it probably should, as my little adventurers just don't look properly dressed without it.

The only part I didn't recognise in my play is the "Chuch of Manley" as I didn't watch his videos when I start playing the game, then after that I just never got around to it.

I lack the computer technology to make youtube videos without my computer melting, and I lack the coding ability to make a mod, but I'm otherwise approaching level 5. And as far as "Stock players are now intimately familiar with all the stock parts. Your ship designs are as creative as they are functional and you know precisely how to make your ships do what you want." goes, I'm mostly familiar in great detail with most of the parts of every mod I use as well as all the stock parts. I suppose that goes far towards putting me at level 5 even without the ability to make videos.

I am a level 4.

My game play has gone through an interesting evolution.

I started out heavily modded, building ships and stations with tons of parts.

When I got bored with that, the challenge became to build everything a cheap, lite and with the fewest parts possible.  It's amazing how much I learned and how creative I became.

Now I have morphed into trying to play with fewer mods.  I went from 57 down to 12, and most of these are for aesthetics.  I still try for cheap, lite and fewest parts possible.

I guess creativity is driven by necessity.

Have fun playing.

MM

Level 2. I don't subscribe to Scott's channel and as far as I recall, haven't ever filled out the tech tree in a single game, so I guess I've failed to make level 3. Oh well. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.