Strange VAB issue (unable to load a ship)

This started after I tried to load a ship with invalid parts (the mod parts had been removed rather than depreciated).

Now when I go into the VAB, I couldn't load a ship. Clicking the load button didn't do anything. The debug showed a few errors i can't remember anymore.

I figured out how to reset it, so I thought I'd post it in case anyone runs up on this.

The fix was to build a little ship a part or two is enough and launch it. Then revert back to the VAB and the load button now works.

Got same issue because I moved my old bigger ships (in order not to design them from a scratch) from old save; before 0.90 they would just refuse to load and show a list of missing parts, now it causes VAB to hang for some reason. Sometimes launching any ship from available parts works, sometimes not. I even managed to break my save once (lost all current contracts when alt+f4 from game and then loaded it again), luckily there was a backup.

So for safety reasons I removed all "invalid" ship files from save folder and keep them for when their parts will become available.

I was also unable to launch anything from launchpad menu until I removed all those ships - menu would've just closed after pressing launch button and launchpad would've stopped responding at all.

BTW, did anyone experience launch clamp's "base" hanging in the air almost below it's red upper part when launching from launchpad menu instead of VAB? Bug seems to be only visual, because they behave as if were anchored to the ground, but it looks stupid anyway.

I'm having the same issue - modded install, but no mods on the ship so far - tried the fix, which didn't help.

I could load perfectly yesterday, then installed Kerbal Alarm clock and went offline. Came back this morning, build a ship from scratch and then decided to look at another ship build for reference; so I saved the new ship and tried to load the old one - that failed and I wasn't able to load any ship from then on. They are present in the save specific folder, though. I tried to edit the save-file (Allow stock vehicles = TRUE). Didn't help.

Any suggestions?

I have similar issue. At some point during a career, the "Load" button stopped working in VAB; nothing happens when I press it. The only way of loading ship is via launchpad->edit. The second part of the problem is that not all of my ships show up in the launchpad's list, even thou I can see their save files in the file system.

0.90, Win 32 (Steam), only mod: NEAR.

This is what happens when I'm trying to load a ship:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

ShipTemplate.SetIfControllable ()

ShipTemplate.LoadShip (.ConfigNode root)

CraftBrowser+..ctor (System.IO.FileInfo )

CraftBrowser.buildCraftList ()

CraftBrowser..ctor (Rect rect, EditorFacility facility, System.String profile, System.String title, .SelectedCallback onFileSelected, .CancelledCallback onCancel, UnityEngine.GUISkin guiSkin, UnityEngine.Texture2D fileIcon, Boolean showFlagButton)

EditorLogic.loadShip ()

I'm having the same issue - modded install, but no mods on the ship so far - tried the fix, which didn't help.

I could load perfectly yesterday, then installed Kerbal Alarm clock and went offline. Came back this morning, build a ship from scratch and then decided to look at another ship build for reference; so I saved the new ship and tried to load the old one - that failed and I wasn't able to load any ship from then on. They are present in the save specific folder, though. I tried to edit the save-file (Allow stock vehicles = TRUE). Didn't help.

Any suggestions?

I had this problem as well, it did also occur after installing Kerbal Alarm Clock. I really need that mod though.

However, I removed the .craft files from the save game VAB folder, restarted the game and was then able to save and load ships as usual.

I then moved back the old .craft files I needed and was able to load them without problem.

Good luck and happy holidays!

I might have found (another) solution to the problem. Upon investigation I found two .craft-files with the same vessel name. One was about 200 kb, the other one was 1 kb. After deleting the 1 kb craft-file, vessels could be loaded again.

Try that approach, maybe it'll help.

• 2 weeks later...

I just ran into the same problem - I was lazy and deleted the stock ships by deleting the "GameData\Ships\VAB" and "GameData\Ships\SPH" folders. Recreating the empty folders seems to have fixed the problem.

I might have found (another) solution to the problem. Upon investigation I found two .craft-files with the same vessel name. One was about 200 kb, the other one was 1 kb. After deleting the 1 kb craft-file, vessels could be loaded again.

Try that approach, maybe it'll help.

This solution work for me!! I think the problem come when a ship has been saved without any parts. You just have to delete this .craft-files and it works.

Thanks for this post!

This solution work for me!! I think the problem come when a ship has been saved without any parts. You just have to delete this .craft-files and it works.

Thanks for this post!

Seems to have worked for me, too. :D

Kind of an odd bug. I had a bunch of 1kb .craft files; I think they were due to me naming the vehicle before I started to build it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.