Orbit map disapearing when zoomed out.

I have hesitated to even post this. Been in KSP for a few weeks now and have found it incredibly fun and satisfying and encompassing.

That being said, I have begin to design, launch and send out my landers to other planets and am having a dickens of a time seeing the orbits of the other celestial bodies. I have searched multiple times in Google and here to self-help and nowhere do I see the answer to my problem. I hate my first post here to be a stupid noob question, but alas that is where I am.

When I am in the orbit map, and I start to zoom out, I lose the orbit trace of my vehicle, then lose the orbit trace of Mun/Minmus. As I zoom out further and start to see the planets, I don't see their orbit traces around the sun. I have seen multiple screenshots showing orbit traces of the planets, so I know it can be done.

This has to be a simple settings issue, but for the life of me I can't figure it out. I have changed focus to the Sun thinking this would help (it didn't).

What am I missing? I know this is a simple fix somewhere, but I am unable to without help. Someone help.

Thanks,

Bob

New Kerbal Dude

"So new he doesn't even have a signature yet here, or any cred built up."

Edited by tetryds

Hi, welcome to the forums. Actually it sounds like you may have found a rather nasty bug in the game; you should be able to see the planets' orbit lines zoomed all the way out even with the lowest tier tracking station on career mode. Obviously your ship orbit lines and Mun/Minmus ones are supposed to disappear if you zoom too far out, but the planet ones should be visible - those are only meant to disappear if you're zoomed in quite close to a particular planet, or something in its SoI. Can you post some screenshots showing when orbit lines are visible and when they're not?]

EDIT: Here's a screenshot of what you should see zoomed out in a brand new career save (note the time in the top left):

E5C5BB2415BFAB778D5286FC2A3E24893E07FF4A
Edited by armagheddonsgw

@rmbohanek: can you please provide a screenshot with more information about your game and computer?

This looks like a bug.

Also, are you using x64? If you do, try x86 and see if this issue still happens.

Here are two pairs of image. One with orbits showing. And then the next slightly zoomed out without the orbits showing. Zooming out even more, just shows dots in space.

I don't know which version to be honest. Got it through Steam and figured it would download the proper version.

Running a MacBook Pro 13" 2.9Ghz i7 with 8 Gb RAM.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Ah, you're using mods. Have you tried removing all the mods and seeing if the problem persists?

Just did a fresh new install and launched into career mode and I have the same issue. Weird thing is that earlier today I was able to see the planet orbits for a bit. Here are shots I just took after the fresh clean install.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Just did a fresh new install and launched into career mode and I have the same issue. Weird thing is that earlier today I was able to see the planet orbits for a bit. Here are shots I just took after the fresh clean install.

http://imgur.com/a/u6xRJ

Hmm okay. You also said you're using a mac; they're known to have some pretty strange issues with KSP sometimes. I'm not especially familiar with mac, but you could try making sure everything's up to date that should be (drivers etc). Failing that, then I guess you should try the Support forum for unmodded installs since your issue appears to be a stock problem (a moderator might move this thread there at some point).

In the meantime I suppose you could always try flying blind? Might be quite an interesting experience lol

Hmm okay. You also said you're using a mac; they're known to have some pretty strange issues with KSP sometimes. I'm not especially familiar with mac, but you could try making sure everything's up to date that should be (drivers etc). Failing that, then I guess you should try the Support forum for unmodded installs since your issue appears to be a stock problem (a moderator might move this thread there at some point).

In the meantime I suppose you could always try flying blind? Might be quite an interesting experience lol

Flying blind in KSP would be no different than real life. :-)

Thanks for the help. Stock install is giving me the gift of rediscovering some of the fun of KSP anyway. Cheers all.

Flying blind in KSP would be no different than real life. :-)

Thanks for the help. Stock install is giving me the gift of rediscovering some of the fun of KSP anyway. Cheers all.

Not really, they have mapped out the orbits in real life and can predict it with computers.

Anyway, interesting bug. First time I've seen this one.

Also welcome

Rmbohanek, I have a few more questions for you.

Which OSX version are you using? (10.9.5, 10.10.1...).

What KSP version are you using? If you downloaded recently, probably 0.90 (build 705), but please check and report.

KSP 0.90 appears to have more problems on OSX 10.10 than 10.9, but the situation you are describing is new to me.

Rmbohanek, I have a few more questions for you.

Which OSX version are you using? (10.9.5, 10.10.1...).

What KSP version are you using? If you downloaded recently, probably 0.90 (build 705), but please check and report.

KSP 0.90 appears to have more problems on OSX 10.10 than 10.9, but the situation you are describing is new to me.

Am running 10.9.5 with the most recent of KSP. Have actually been holding off on the move to Yosemite because some of those issues so far.

It is very weird and a bit frustrating. Thought it was a settings issue for the longest time and I was too stupid to figure it out. I restarted a career game and am now only to the point of solar exploration so has been a non-issue the last couple of days.

Bob

This has come up before, windows included. I'm not sure if the cause for this has really been pinned down as it seems to be very sporadic and has only affected a smaller portion of the players (at least, judging from the support requests).

I wish I could tell you what does this. Sometimes changing angles works, sometimes not.

When you did a fresh install, did you install over the top of your previous copy, or did you install to a completely new directory?

Welcome to the forums. :D

Cheers,

~Claw

Just to add that I'm experiencing the exact same issue... and thought the same "it must be something stupid I'm doing". Tried fresh install, issue remains: orbit trajectories only show at low zoom levels, as soon as I zoom out they disappear.

Running KSP 0.90 on Lubuntu 14:10

EDIT: I found that changing my desktop resolution made the lines reappear... guess there must be something screwy with resolutions. Perhaps the relationship between monitor/OS desktop setting/KSP setting maybe. Anyways, all good here now.

Edited by Teglen
Solved my issue

This has come up before, windows included. I'm not sure if the cause for this has really been pinned down as it seems to be very sporadic and has only affected a smaller portion of the players (at least, judging from the support requests).

I wish I could tell you what does this. Sometimes changing angles works, sometimes not.

When you did a fresh install, did you install over the top of your previous copy, or did you install to a completely new directory?

Welcome to the forums. :D

Cheers,

~Claw

Didn't do a new install to a fresh directory but deleted the entire local copy and uninstalled from Steam, and then did a fresh install. Desktop resolution is an interesting idea that I may spend some time working on tomorrow instead of watching football.

It looks to be a resolution issue somehow. I run a MacBook Pro with an external monitor as the primary and only monitor (though this also is happening when that second monitor is a second display).

I changed the resolution of the display and the resolution in KSP to fit (too big for the monitor). And VOILA I can see planetary orbits. A bit frustrating as it would be nice to use as much screen real estate to plan inter-planetary transfers. Perhaps in the next update it will be miraculously fixed because of something else.

Quite a weird issue, for sure, though.

• 8 months later...

Hello!

I've also had this weird problem, don't really know why, since I got KSP. It's version 0.23 and I don't know why but it's the same problem and I've tried the solutions above (not working at all). I've saved some footage to see how it looks like if that'll help in any way...

Specs

Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel Iris 1536 MB

Video:

Try disabling anti-aliasing in KSP, also if you have any image quality settings on OSX try changing them to see if it helps.

Lowering the render quality slider in KSP might also help, as not all graphics cards and drivers support the Unity3D game engines render settings.

Also try fullscreen rather than windowed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.