32/64 bit _ Memory Question

Question, that probably has already been answered quite a few times.

But if you are running KSP on steam is there a way to tell if its running in 32 or 64 bit? Cause I still have memory issues. I have a very solid pc (32 GB ram, excellent processor, high end GPU,etc ) but the game continues to crash when I mod it (sometimes extensively, sometimes not). Before I go trying to provide all the details of what mods I am using and everything, I just want to make sure KSP isnt defaulting to 32 bit and crashing due to memory limit.

Or maybe I am mistaken and there is still a memory limit on 64 bit version?

If you load up the 64 bit version it will warn you upon loading that it is not stable and that you should consider switching to linux or use the 32 bit version.

If you don't get this message you are playing 32 bit.

How do i get it to boot the 64 bit version then, please? Cause I dont get that warning.

I am runnning 64 bit windows 7. Figured it would default to 64 bit, my mistake.

You don't want to use the Win64 version. It is buggy, not because of Squad, but because Unity hasn't released a stable Win64 engine yet.

WOW64 mode should allow KSP to have roughly 3GB-3.5GB of memory space to work with after considering driver and kernel space.

If you are running into out of memory issues, you probably should switch to OpenGL, or if you are open to it use Linux. OpenGL uses less memory, and has had most of it's render quality and performance issues addressed in the new Unity Engine release included in the 0.90 update. There are plenty of howtos on there on how to switch to OpenGL, so I presume you can find out how to do that on your own.

If you are getting general instability, it might not be out of memory, if you are running an AMD processor with "turbo" function you may have to turn it off due to a bug in Unity's graphics threading, or activate the "AMD Workaround" in the launcher.

If you are using a lot of mods you may want to install Active Texture Management, which can dramatically reduce the memory profile of your mods.

If you would like to run the 64-bit version of KSP on Windows: (TL;DR GO TO WHERE YOU MOD THE GAME) Go into Steam, right-click on Kerbal Space Program in your games library, click on 'Properties', click on the 'Local Files' tab in the properties menu, and then click 'Browse Local Files'. When you do this, you will be at the main folder (if you mod the game this should be familiar). There is the KSP_64.exe or whatever it looks like (I don't have 64-bit OS atm), and you will need to manually use this executable by setting a shortcut to it or adding it via the Non-Steam Games thing at the bottom of the steam games library. Hope this helps!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.