Six Six Science - Space & Aeronautics Agency Archive [craftfile updated 2016-04-25]

Frank_G

igeAq1b.jpg

Welcome fellow kerbonauts, to the blueprint archives of the Six Six Science Space & Aeronautics Agency

It is time to share some of my work with all of you in this kind and awesome forum. Feel free to download, test and comment. New and updated craftfiles will be added to this page when available, so be sure to take a look from time to time.

Have fun!

Frank

Info on recent updates:

2016-04-25 - Ares I launcher craft checked - KSP 1.1 compatible

2016-04-25 - Updated Moray Delta VI b for KSP 1.1

2016-04-25 - Updated Diamondback Raider for KSP 1.1

2016-04-06 - Added Diamondback Raider

2016-04-03 - Added Ares I Launcher Pack

Note: Most of the presented craft will be pure stock KSP. However, i use RasterPropMonitors and ScanSAT as standard mod install. Usage of mods will be mentioned in the craft description here on the page. If possible, a stock version will be included with mod craft.

Launchers

tg4I3WP.jpg

The latest iteration of the Ares I Launcher has finally arrived. A complete new capsule design made it possible to fit 4 kerbals into a 2.5 m fairing. The smaller capsule profile allowed for a sleeker fairing design. To ensure your kerbonauts safety, the capsule has been equipped with a custom designed LES to separate the capsule from the rocket in case of emergency. After a successful launch or use of the LES, the launch escape tower can be separated from the capsule, using action-group 3. An extra set of separatrons ensure, that the tower moves clear of the capsule to prevent unplanned collisions.

Dont forget to run through pre-launch procedures! Turn on the Stability-Augmentation- and Reaction-Control-Systems. Decrease any pre-selected throttle settings to zero, to prevent stage separation accidents. Last, zoom into the fairing and select the clamp-o-tron docking port as control point. During launch, the new Ares I is stabilized by two sets of Vernor engines at the lower end of the solid rocket booster and the lower section of the second LOX stage. Sets of ullage motors provide clean stage separation of all stages. Begin your gravity turn at an altitude of roughly 5.000 meters by leaning of 5° towards your desired ascent trajectory. Once the second stage ignites, use throttle control and attitude to follow the apoapsis at about 40 seconds distance right into your desired orbit altitude. The Ares I is set for launches to a 100 km circular orbit. If you intend to go higher, you have to use the Orion-Ks rocket motor to go beyond that altitude.

Once in orbit, the new 4 kerbal Orion-K capsule takes over. After separating from the orbital insertion stage, it switches to its own rocket engine with about 960 m/s of dV for orbital maneuvering. An RCS system provides the necessary fine control for orbital rendezvous and docking procedures. Please note, that the RCS blocks are deactivated during launch to not interfere with the launch stability system. Hit action-group 2 to activate them. The payload section of the capsule houses solar panels and science equipment. To ensure generation of electricity, dont forget to open them, using action-group 0.

On return to kerbin, the rocket motor of the Orion-K capsule is separated via staging, once it drops below the Karman Line. Close the payload bay and retract the antennas using action-group 0 again. The heat-shield provides excellent protection during deceleration through the atmosphere. Once you reach safe speeds, the 2 drogue chutes can be staged. When the capsule is roughly 2.5 km above the ground use action-group 9 to cut the drogue chutes and deploy the main chutes. Welcome back to Kerbin!

And now download and enjoy this complete Launcher package. 

Download: [STOCK 1.1.x] Ares I Launcher pack [added 2016-04-25]

oaUeYHH.jpg

Landers

Spaceplanes & SSTOs

YelVC0m.jpg

The Moray Delta VI B2 is the latest SSTO spaceplane in the Six Six Sci Fleet. With a cargo lifting capability of 36 tons to 95 km Kerbin orbit, the compact spaceplane is not only very capable, but also quite efficient. The six specially arranged R.A.P.I.E.R. engines allow atmospheric speeds of up to 1.500 m/s and altitudes of 23.000 m before the craft has to switch to rocket propulsion. The very low TWR of 0.43 (a pilot with knowledge of low TWR spaceplane flight profiles is strongly recommended) when fully loaded indicates, that it takes its time to bring this craft to speed and altitude, but the efficiency in both fuel usage and costs is just remarkable. When lifting cargo around 20 tons, the Delta VI will reach any desired orbit around Kerbin with a lot of Delta V left for maneuvering and de-orbting. A payload not exceeding 10 tons can be deliverd close to the Mün, if a free return trajectory is plotted.

With an empty weight of only 31.0 tons, this robotic craft consists mostly of tanks and loading space. Fully fueled and loaded with 36 tons of cargo, the launch weight goes up to 149.8 tons. Special wing arrangements and excellent balancing offer not only very stable flight performance throughout the mission, but also gives the Delta VI exceptional maneuvering and gliding capabilities. Please note, that the liquid fuel pumps in the front tanks are turned off, to keep the maneuverability. Your pilot can activate them, once the craft switches to rocket mode. From that moment on, there is no need for any additional care.

The loading bay includes a sr. Clamp-O-Tron docking port for payload mounting, a standard Clamp-O-Tron docking port for docking to stations and other craft, a light to aid docking in total darkness, solar arrays and fuel cells to keep the craft powered.

Download: [STOCK 1.1.x] Moray Delta VI B2 Cargo Lifter SSTO [added 2016-04-25]

fZejIth.jpg

Space Stations

hWWcfgo.jpg

Kerbin Orbital One was constructed to serve as a modular orbital science platform. Now circling Kerbin in a 100 km equatorial orbit, it is equipped to fulfill almost all upcoming scientific contracts. All station parts were designed to fit into the cargo bay of the Moray Delta VI Cargo-Lifter for cost-efficient assembly.

KO1 is supported by a variety of utility vehicles. While some of the KO1 modules are designed for self assembly, the first and most essential one is the Orbital Assembly Unit. Coming with a variety of docking ports, light and other useful things, this one was brought up with the second launch, to dock all kind of modules to the station core. The second craft is the Orbital Utility Vehicle. It operates autonomous or can carry 2 Kerbals. It was designed to arrange experiments platforms around the station and to allow scientists to collect results from experiment arrangements around the station. The third vehicle ist the autonomous Orbital Science Carrier. It carries a variety of experiment setups. While originally being designed as a stationary truss, the addition of thrusters transformed it into an orbital science gatherer, that can operate independent of the station. The last vehicle is the Orbital Resource Detector. It can scan Kerbins surface for useful resources and pinpoint high concentration areas.

In case of emergency, the station can be evacuated, using the two escape capsules. The docking pylon allows craft with standard clamp-o-tron to dock with the station at safe distance.

The download comes complete with all station parts and vehicles as subassemblies, together with a craftfile that shows the fully assembled station.

Download: [STOCK 1.0.5] Kerbin Orbital One Space Station [added 2016-03-20]

WPUok9D.jpg

Satellites & Probes

Service & Utility Craft

Rovers

B1yllv1.jpg

The Diamondback Raider is a rover, made for rough terrain and long term missions. The rear docking port allows for modular extension of its features at will. The chassis features an almost indestructible roll-cage, housing all the vital thingies and offering comfortable compact space for two Kerbonauts. Lights, Tanks and all other equipment has been strategically placed in protected positions. Testruns proofed, that the rover can easily withstand crashes like slamming into a solid building wall at 50 m/s without sustaining structural damage at all. Only make sure to have a level 3 engineer in your crew, to fix flat tires.

The armored rear compartment houses batteries, reaction wheels (for putting the rover back on its wheels) and 2 nuclear batteries for operation in total darkness. The top mounted and well protected solar panels, which run all the way to the back of the vehicle (giving it its name), provide enough power for long endurance high speed runs. Two monopropellant engines have been placed at the back of the vehicle, to allow for speeds of up to 50 m/s on Kerbin and even more on other worlds (cliff jumping is fun!). Sets of RCS thrusters allow for short jumps and fall stabilization on low gravity worlds.

Action-groups are provided for switching between 4 and 6 wheel drive, reaction wheel toggle, afterburner toggle, antenna toggle and docking port decoupling. Please see craftfile description for more details. And now download your personal Diamondback Raider. Have fun!

The Diamondback Raider Mk. II is almost identical to the Mk. I. The Mk. II has a slightly adjusted wheel stand for KSP 1.1.x new wheel physics compatibility.

Download: [STOCK 1.1.x] Diamondback Raider MK. II [added 2016-04-25]

BxRzVCU.jpg

EfN4NfN.jpg

The Dune-Bug micronized surface exploration rover is a very capable and stable little rover. It carries a large variety of science instruments and can operate completely independent. Its very small size makes it ideal for interplanetary transport, as it fits into the smallest cargo bays and landers. It can move through most forms of terrain and has no stability issues, when going up- or downhill, even while turning on slopes. If it flips regardless, it is equipped with a reaction wheel that can flip it back on its wheels. For steeper terrain, it can switch from 4- to 6-wheel drive.

The landing capsule is not included in the download.

Download: [STOCK 1.0.5] Dune-Bug [added 2016-03-20]

QjteO0R.jpg

Aircraft

The historical archive - Craft from earlier KSP versions

Download: [STOCK 1.0.5] Ares II-K Launcher and Orbital Utility Vehicle [added 2016-03-27]

Download: [STOCK 1.0.5] Ares I Launcher Replica [added 2016-03-26]

Download: [STOCK 1.0.4] Spaceplanes & SSTOs - Moray Delta II Cargo SSTO spaceplane [added - 2015-07-19]

Download: [STOCK 1.0.4] Spaceplanes & SSTOs - Arrowhead X4B Nano SSTO [added - 2015-07-05]

Download: [STOCK 1.0.4] Landers - Crater Flea Mk. IIb Jool Grand Tour Lander  [added - 2015-07-11]

Download: [STOCK 1.0.4] Rover - AT-Rabbit Mk. I [added - 2015-07-02]

Download: [STOCK 0.90] Spaceplanes & SSTOs - Arrowhead X3-DS Explorer Nano SSTO

Download: [STOCK 0.90] Aircraft - Albatross I Science Survey Plane [added - 2015-01-25]

Download: [STOCK 0.90 plus modded version] Landers - Eve Mission Pack [added - 2014-12-30]

Download: [STOCK 0.90] Landers - Konstellation Type II Base Lander [added - 2014-12-28]

Download: [STOCK 0.90 plus modded version] Satellites & Probes - Mapping Satellite Pack [added - 2014-12-26]

Edited by Frank_G
updated Diamondback Raider and Moray Delta VI for KSP 1.1.x

Give it time to build up speed, keep the throttle high below 12.000 m then carefully throttle down as you get higher. You should run on half throttle when getting beyond 28.000 m.

When taking off from the runway go up as quickly as you can, 50 or 60 degrees upwards. At 12.000 m begin to drop your ascend angle down to about 20 degrees. At 15.000 m keep your prograde marker just above the horizon (point the ships nose between 10 - 12 degrees) until the R.A.P.I.E.R switches to rocket mode (at this time you should be slightly above 38.000 m and your velocity will be close to 2.300 m/s, the velocity indicator will already show "orbit").

Throttle further down and point your ship towards 45 degrees until apoapsis reaches around 135.000 m. Coast to apoapsis and circularize. During the coast phase use RCS thrust to control your apoapsis. You should have at least a fifth of your fuel left and almost full monopropellant.

In general: The lower the throttle, the lower the air usage of the engine. The higher you get, the easier it is to gain speed due to less drag. Give the plane time to gain speed in the higher regions of the atmosphere (32.000 m +). Balance these aspects and reaching orbit will get much easier.

Feel free to ask and i will try to help :)

Edited by Frank_G

Just for gee wiz, I changed the small docking port for a large one (I don't yet have small docks installed on my station). I found that MJ did not like the original control angles, so I restricted the elevons deflection to 1/2 of original, and it stopped the control wobble.

It threw me for a loop first, as you did not mention it is a probe controlled craft, but installation of a RT compatible antenna fixed that.

This is a great little craft!

Edited by Pondafarr

Thank you! I dont use mechjeb at all, so all craft found here are made for manual control and are only tested for stock soupodynamics. Good to hear, that they can be adapted to different playstyles without annoying problems. :)

For those of you, who are waiting for the announced Eve Return Vehicle... the upgraded version is almost ready. The landing retro-thrusters need a tiny push of TWR more (0.8 turned out to be the best TWR for delivering the final bit of deceleration before landing – currently 0.61 – i will add some seperatrons at the landing gear decouplers) and i need to figure out, how to get the pilot in and out :P.

It doesn´t look much different than the one in my documented first mission to Eve, but it lands without using a drop of precious liquid fuel and delivers massive 12.3k m/s of delta V (almost 1.8k more than its predecessor) with a TWR of 1.3 throughout the complete ascend procedure. Surprisingly the aerospikes lost the battle against the LV-T30 engines. They delivered about 50m/s of delta V more, but only summed up to a TWR around 1.05. Not a number to think about any further.

It will be much easier to pilot than the original design and should be able to ascend from Eve´s sea level. Tests will be made and it will be ready for download in the first days of january.

7j3n3O0.png

Edited by Frank_G

The test has been successful!

Landing

The transfer stage lowered the landers periapsis to 85.000 m before decoupling and de-orbiting.

The lander decelerated by atmospheric friction, staging the chutes right after cooling down from re-entry heat.

Chutes fully deployed at 500 m above terrain, slowing the craft down to roughly 6.5 m/s.

The retro-thrusters fired approximately 20 m above the ground, decelerating the craft even further.

After touchdown, the next stage gets rid of the one shot landing equipment.

bxHzyIw.jpg

Launching

Throttle to maximum and stability augmentation systems on before staging the launch stage.

The landing gear is ejected and the craft begins the first part of its vertical ascend.

You need to ascend with only a light angle to the side, to get enough height fast enough, somewhere between the third and the fourth radial booster stage is a good point to get a more shallow angle, i guess.

On the last stage instantly throttle down. It has plenty of punch. Maybe the descend is easier, when getting rid of 4 of the 8 monopropellant engines.

gb1l07L.jpg

I launched a bit ineffective here, ending in a far too high ascend curve.

The craft made it anyway (launching from 1.600 m terrain elevation) with some fuel left for orbital maneuvering.

Just some final tweaks now. I bet, i can release the craftfile tomorrow.

Edited by Frank_G

To land 135 tons on a world almost 2 times the gravity of Kerbin...? Yes indeed. And you still need the assist of retrorockets to not slam your engine nozzles into the ground... Give it a try without... It will be a short show for sure.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.