Loading Any Save Destroys My Ship(s)

Hello,

Recently purged my mods and started anew with .90 (windows 32 bit). I put a few mods in that have been updated to .90, and have been playing for awhile without issue. I usually don't save during missions, but today I have the need to. Upon reloading my save, my entire ship breaks apart. Played some more and had another occasion needing a save. This time with engines off in a nice orbit around the Mun. Load the game, go to tracking center, fly craft, it too explodes upon loading. RCS appears to be firing in all directions at once, from what I can see before it explodes. This is obviously not going to work, so I need to find a solution. No one else having this issue?

Mods:

toolbar

ActiveTexture

Boulder Co - Clouds only

DistantObject

FireSpitter

KAS

KAX

Infernal Robotics (no parts on any exploding ships)

DockingIndicator

ProceeduralFairing

KerbalAlarmClock

TweakScale

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t8g0bc5uwmun6ss/output_log.rar?dl=0

Love to find a solution, thanks for reading.

Edited by klesh

I also got this problem with my space station. I used KAS to strut everything and made sure I could rotate it without wobbling to badly. But whenever the game needs to load its engine for the first time, things go crazy their. I temporary solved it.

When you load your game, go to tracking station and load a flag first. Quicksave their (just in case) go back to the tracking station and load your ship. That worked for my station at least.

Does it look anything like this? (see below).

I have been having I think the same issue. I have been getting scansat satellites back in orbit and everything is fine until I exit the game. Upon reloading my satellites all explode. In most cases you only see things briefly before they explode. So I tried taking the same satellite and stripping all non-stock parts off of it. I then decided to capture a video of it exploding.

Interesting thing is it did not explode. However you can see some strange firing of something out of the engine. This is a graphic I have seen on all other instances briefly before the ship explodes. But this time it did not explode so I was able to see the flames.

Very odd.

When you load your game, go to tracking station and load a flag first. Quicksave their (just in case) go back to the tracking station and load your ship. That worked for my station at least.

I'll give that a shot, thanks for the tip. I keep a flag at the KSC to targeting purposes, that'll do.

Does it look anything like this? (see below).

I have been having I think the same issue. I have been getting scansat satellites back in orbit and everything is fine until I exit the game. Upon reloading my satellites all explode. In most cases you only see things briefly before they explode. So I tried taking the same satellite and stripping all non-stock parts off of it. I then decided to capture a video of it exploding.

Interesting thing is it did not explode. However you can see some strange firing of something out of the engine. This is a graphic I have seen on all other instances briefly before the ship explodes. But this time it did not explode so I was able to see the flames.

Very odd.

Indeed, the engines and RCS seems to fire like that, a split second before the explosion. In other cases, its not even an explosion per se. A regular plane with all stock parts gets the fuselage (made of 1.25m liquid fuel plane fuselage parts) ripped apart upon loading.

Looks more like this for me :P.

http://youtu.be/pmllffxJ4Gc

Thats it alright. It happens as soon as the last of the load-in-lag stops, right where you should get control of the ship.

Hello,

Recently purged my mods and started anew with .90 (windows 23 bit). I put a few mods in that have been updated to .90, and have been playing for awhile without issue. I usually don't save during missions, but today I have the need to. Upon reloading my save, my entire ship breaks apart. Played some more and had another occasion needing a save. This time with engines off in a nice orbit around the Mun. Load the game, go to tracking center, fly craft, it too explodes upon loading. RCS appears to be firing in all directions at once, from what I can see before it explodes. This is obviously not going to work, so I need to find a solution. No one else having this issue?

Mods:

toolbar

ActiveTexture

Boulder Co - Clouds only

DistantObject

FireSpitter

KAS

KAX

Infernal Robotics (no parts on any exploding ships)

DocingIndicator

ProceeduralFairing

KerbalAlarmClock

TweakScale

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t8g0bc5uwmun6ss/output_log.rar?dl=0

Love to find a solution, thanks for reading.

I'm having the same issues. If its a mod issue, it would be unfortunate. The only mods we're both using are toolbar, FireSpitter, KAS, Infernal Robotics and TweakScale. And I love KAS, Infernal Robotics and TweakScale.

So I gave this a try. When I loaded the flag it became dislodged from the ground and fell over. :(

Its like a huge force is tearing at these objects when they're being loaded. However, the flag did not shoot into the air so I think the tearing is only for a split second.

I then went back to the Tracking Center and grabbed control of a satellite in Kerbin orbit. Loaded it in to see this:

Note that no RCS or SAS is engaged. This situation lasted for 10 seconds and then the craft vanished, though it appears to still be there on the map view.

This is really weird. Its making this career not-so-playable now.

hAGGOo8.jpg

Here, I even made a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyI4PGbpDxI

I do not touch the controls at all, except for moving the camera to orient you against Kerbin. Satelite is at high north on a polar orbit. When the craft vanishes, I move the camera to look for it, but its gone. I show you the map to see that the orbit of the craft hasnt changed, and it says it should still be there. Come back from the map (should be camera on vessel) and there is none to be found. I can go back to the Tracking Station and repeat this process at this point.

Edited by klesh

Huh, well at least it's not just me. I get the exact same issue - it's like a humongous force is twisting / tearing apart my crafts when I load them up. It does not happen every time, but rather about 50% of the time.

Here are my mods:

• Crowd Sourced Science
  • Deadly Reentry Continued
  • Ferram Aerospace Research
  • Kerbal Alarm Clock
  • Kerbal Engineer Redux
  • Kerbal Flight Indicators
  • Module Manager (2.5.6)
  • Precise Node
  • Procedural Fairings
  • Science Alert
  • Transfer Window Planner

Also, I have previously had Trajectories and ScanSat installed, but have since uninstalled them. I don't have any crafts or debris in my save with ScanSat parts.

Here's a log where I went straight to loading a ship, it blew up, and then I Alt+F4'd a few seconds later. The flight scene is started at line 2917. CTRL+F for "[LOG 23:51:08.652]" if you don't want to load it in a text editor: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5933200/KSP%20-%20Explodey%20Ships.log

Thats it alright. It happens as soon as the last of the load-in-lag stops, right where you should get control of the ship.

Yup, that's exactly what happens on my install also.

I'm having the same issues. If its a mod issue, it would be unfortunate. The only mods we're both using are toolbar, FireSpitter, KAS, Infernal Robotics and TweakScale. And I love KAS, Infernal Robotics and TweakScale.

Weird. Between you, myself, and the OP we don't have any mods in common. Except Module Manager of course.

Edit: Did some more digging. I found out that if I let my craft explode, hit Alt+F9, reload the persistent file that originally made the craft explode, and then load the craft in the tracking station it does not explode the second time around. Despite it being from the same save file with the same variables.

Here's a log of that whole process: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5933200/KSP_Boom_then_no_boom.log

The first vessel load (that causes spontaneous dis-assembly) happens at the line starting with "[LOG 00:29:04.004]". The second vessel load, in the same conditions but without the earth shattering kaboom, happens at the line starting with "[LOG 00:29:26.985]".

It seems like these exceptions happened in the explody part of the log but not when the ship loaded normally:

CompoundParts.CModuleStrut.OnTargetSet (.Part target)
CompoundPart.SetLink ()
CompoundPart.SetTarget (.Part tgt)
CompoundPart.onStartComplete ()
Part+.MoveNext ()
[EXC 00:29:05.691] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
CompoundPart.SetLink ()
Part+.MoveNext ()
[EXC 00:29:05.692] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
CompoundPart.SetLink ()
Part+.MoveNext ()
[EXC 00:29:05.693] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
CompoundPart.SetLink ()
Part+.MoveNext ()
[EXC 00:29:05.694] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
CompoundPart.SetLink ()
Part+.MoveNext ()
[EXC 00:29:05.695] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
CompoundPart.SetLink ()
Part+.MoveNext ()
[EXC 00:29:05.696] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
CompoundPart.SetLink ()
Part+.MoveNext ()
[EXC 00:29:05.697] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
CompoundPart.SetLink ()
Part+.MoveNext ()
[EXC 00:29:05.690] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Edit 2: Alright, I've done a lot of groundwork on isolating recreation of this bug.

First, here's a save file that's just a blank Sandbox with one ship copy-pasted into its persistence file. On an unmodded game, you can consistently load this ship without a huge explosion: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5933200/ksp%20debugging/persistent.sfs

I tested that save consistently on a completely freshly installed unmodded KSP with no problems. Then, I copy-pasted that save to my modded install and instantly got the ship explosion bug. So I started uninstalling mods, and actually the first one I uninstalled (Crowd Sourced Science) fixed the issue.

So next I tried copying my fresh install, and only installing Crowd Sourced Science. Bam! Spontaneous unplanned dis-assembly. Here's a log: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5933200/ksp%20debugging/KSP_CrowdSourcedScience.log (Explosions start on line starting with "[LOG 02:03:36.723]") Note that in this log I also let debris sit for a second, and then used Alt-F9 to reload the file and load the ship without explosions. If you're interested in that part, it begins at [LOG 02:04:07.567]

I don't think that's the end of the road. Other people in this thread are getting an identical issue, and no one else has mentioned Crowd Sourced Science. But I'm hoping the above will help figuring out what's causing the issue.

Final edit: I'm going to force myself to stop working on this now, but for the record Crowd Sourced Science changes very little about the game (in fact it's just a .cfg file that adds text). So I don't know if that's the issue or not. There was an interesting exception from the most recent log I posted:

[EXC 02:03:37.075] ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,ScienceExperiment].Add (System.String key, .ScienceExperiment value)
ResearchAndDevelopment.loadExperiments ()
ResearchAndDevelopment.GetExperiment (System.String experimentID)
ModuleScienceExperiment.OnStart (StartState state)
Part.ModulesOnStart ()
Part+.MoveNext ()

Alright, this is driving me up the wall but I should stop spamming this thread with edits, so if anyone has further insight on this I'm looking forward to hearing it.

For the TL;DR of this post, read the "Edit 2" section. I wanted to leave all my logs here for completeness, but that section sums up recreating this bug on my end.

Edited by martinw89

Wow, Martin, nice work. It looks like you might know a bit more about how these files and lines of code function than I do, but I'm willing to learn.

I looked in the log file I posted in the OP, and I found at the bottom some NullReferenceExceptions as well, seemingly related to Tweakscale perhaps. Indeed, I do not use crowdsourced science reports (though I've been meaning to!)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at TweakScale.TweakScale.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

at TweakScale.TweakScale.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

What does Alt+ F9 (and F5, I presume) do? I have never used Alt with those.

Edited by klesh

Hmm, the NullReferenceException seems consistent, but I have no idea what's causing it, and only a guess at what it even means. If I had to guess, it's that something is happening when loading a ship where the game is attempting to load parts into the ship but they're not actually in memory (there's nowhere to load them from). But that's just completely a guess, someone who's messed around with this stuff deeper would probably have a much better guess / explanation.

Alt+F9 and Alt+F5 are super useful, they let you save a unique named quicksave, or load any save file.

Edited by martinw89

These cats seem to be having the same issue, and are thinking it was an older version of tweakscale causing the problem, which would be strange since you're not using it, martin.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/104141-Ship-freaks-out-on-reload

Edit: I updated to 1.5 on tweakscale and was able to go to that polar orbit satellite of mine without issue. Went to the flag, and it was still knocked over from before, I'll have to place a new one. Tweakscale can't be the problem if martin isn't using it. ?

Edited by klesh

Well i know this doesnt help but i had the same issue. Removed all my mods and replaced them one at a time starting the game up each time and going to a saved ship in orbit. Didnt have the problem again until i re-installed Tweakscale. I removed it(Tweakscale) and now no longer have the problem. Not sure whats going on. I dont know enough about programming to do any troubleshooting beyond that. But for the record i wont come right out and say it's Tweakscale. Could be compatibility with it and something else. Just monitoring this thread for now to see if the smarter fellas can shed any light on this.

I'm experiencing the same issue, or at least what seems like the same issue, and also don't have Tweakscale installed. In fact the only overlap between klesh's mods list and mine is Firespitter, KAS, Procedural Fairings, and the toolbar. Having removed KAS, the insane stresses applied to the ship no longer are QUITE so vast, and the ship stays together (possibly only due to KJR) - but it then falls victim to another problem I've been having, wherein the ship is subjected to a constant non-gravitational acceleration, regardless of engine/fuel status. Oh, yeah, and is also uncontrollable. Fun times. (This latter problem doesn't only happen on load.)

I'll keep messing with it, but I'm really frustrated.

Edited by Jackson Mackenzie
overlooked Firespitter

I just started to have the same issue tonight. It started on a pretty standard flight to the Mun, after doing a insertion burn, sprayed from the booster stage, then switched back to the primary vessel, and it was pushing out the Apoapis without any engines running?! Went to Space Center, reloaded the vessel and saw all the parts flying off into the sunset.... I tried loading up a few other vessels, and got the same result of parts flying off. I don't have the tweak scale installed at all, only change I made recently was to install the new auto save mod and some textures for Procedual parts. I will list all my installed mods after this evenings festivities in the morning.

I also had this bug, but after updating Tweakscale and some minor testing it seems to have fixed the issue. However with the new version of Tweakscale all my old vessels had their rcs ports removed upon loading.

Looks like this is a really tough bug to track down. I just wanted to confirm that I've never had Tweakscale installed, so at least on my end I was getting the exact same symptoms for a different reason.

I took a short break to let some mods get updated and I'm getting back to my save now. If I find anything else to report I'll make sure to do so.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.