[1.4.1] Color Coded Canisters 2.0.1 (2018-03-14)

NecroBones

OK, I got a little time today. I managed to get sick, so I'm working on things sporadically today, in between naps. ;)

;.; Feel better.

But I have some screenshots! For the 7200, I played around with a few different methods of making the slots, and I wasn't satisfied with the results I was getting. So I went back to my first design, and just worked out the math to get the spacing right. That meant remapping the texture on the white parts a few times, but that went pretty smoothly. Also took advantage of the opportunity to adjust the spacing of the holes around the rims (which will affect all three tanks of that diameter since they're sharing the texture).

Got some tweaks in on the FL-T100 and Orange/Jumbo.

http://www.necrobones.net/screenshots/KSP/KSP%202015-01-01%2015-17-26-80.jpg

http://www.necrobones.net/screenshots/KSP/KSP%202015-01-01%2015-17-36-30.jpg

http://www.necrobones.net/screenshots/KSP/KSP%202015-01-01%2015-18-38-52.jpg

http://www.necrobones.net/screenshots/KSP/KSP%202015-01-01%2015-19-01-81.jpg

Perfect. Just perfect.

LOL, was just in the process of getting a few pics:

https://imgur.com/a/d2FSI

I also use TextureReplacer with a custom skybox and helmet reflections for EVAs, could that be the possible cause?

Regards

I have TR with helmet reflections too:

Nah, it is probably best to keep it matching the other 2.5m tanks, and if 3.75m stays the color it is now (other mods match the existing 3.75m design), the hues will be too close. It's okay though; the SSET's inner-tanks were apparently silver.

Either http://i.imgur.com/Lh8Lp2r.png or let that area be rippled like X200-16, but orange.

So, basically, TR is doing its thing with those tanks because it somehow overwrites the stock reflections?

Thank you NBZ, that makes sense...

Regards

and

Get well soon, Necrobones!

Edited by E.Nygma

Yep, thanks guys :)

Yes, TR is replacing the reflection maps. This is the glossiest I've made any fuel tanks so far, so you wouldn't have seen much of it with SpaceY. I can turn down the shine if people want, but without TR it'll look like the screenshots I've been posting.

0.4 is up!

0.4 (2015-01-01) - Beta "happy new year" edition
- Added Orange/Jumbo64.
- Added auto-shrouds for tank ends that are exposed.
- Added missing "smooth" sections on the FL-T200.
- Subdued external details on the FL-T100.
- Updated FL-T800 to have modeled corrugation instead of painted lines.
- Modeled grooves into the KD S3-7200 tank.

I can turn down the shine if people want, but without TR it'll look like the screenshots I've been posting.

Nah, I just delete the reflections, wasn't sure if I do like them anyway...

0.4 is up!

Yay, to the testrange!!

You have no idea how much I love you for lining up the texture for the NASA tanks! It was one of my main issues since IIRC they are the only stock 3.75m tanks (uncertain because so many mods). The only thing that would make this any better is if the S3 KS-24x4 Engine Cluster's texture was changed to the shade of white used for the tanks, and to just make the texture look more clean. It'd be awesome to have, but that's just me being greedy.

Keep up the awesome work! I'm a big fan of your other mods as well; it's nice to see cosmetic mods surface between all the part packs available from time to time.

Wow, now I really want to build something using that tank.

The end-caps are just such a eye-relief for mismatched sizes, but I noticed that the 3.75m ones are slightly too small to cover the rim holes:

O7pWANT.jpg

I had a contract to build a base and test the KS-25x4, both landed on Minmus. I strapped four big tanks to its corners (for low COM), and two Hitchhikers to its sides, and it had almost enough Delta-V to go there and return. For the little extra push, I put a 1.25m decoupler with a SpaceY S109 under each corner tank (strutted criss-cross). When I staged, the falling boosters looked quite odd with a 3.75 m disk on a 1.8m stick. I have TweakableEverything, so I can disable the bottom cap, but maybe there should only be one on top? Usually the inner-tank is visible from below a rocket stage:

1024px-Saturn_V_Rocket_Stage_S_IVB_-_1992.jpg

The very best thing would maybe me to have it, but default to disable, and enableable with TweakableEverything.

Wow, now I really want to build something using that tank.

The end-caps are just such a eye-relief for mismatched sizes, but I noticed that the 3.75m ones are slightly too small to cover the rim holes:

http://i.imgur.com/O7pWANT.jpg

Yeah, I think I know what happened there. All of the end-panels are 1% smaller than the tank to avoid z-fighting at the edges. But the 3.75m tanks are also 1% bigger than the stated measurement, to more closely fit the stock tanks, and I don't think I took that into account when I added the end-panels. I can fix that.

I had a contract to build a base and test the KS-25x4, both landed on Minmus. I strapped four big tanks to its corners (for low COM), and two Hitchhikers to its sides, and it had almost enough Delta-V to go there and return. For the little extra push, I put a 1.25m decoupler with a SpaceY S109 under each corner tank (strutted criss-cross). When I staged, the falling boosters looked quite odd with a 3.75 m disk on a 1.8m stick. I have TweakableEverything, so I can disable the bottom cap, but maybe there should only be one on top? Usually the inner-tank is visible from below a rocket stage:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/25/Saturn_V_Rocket_Stage_S_IVB_-_1992.jpg/1024px-Saturn_V_Rocket_Stage_S_IVB_-_1992.jpg

The very best thing would maybe me to have it, but default to disable, and enableable with TweakableEverything.

Sadly, I don't think there's a way to add a shroud as "disabled" in stock. So I think the choice is to either leave it as is, or take the bottom one off completely. I'm open to either.

I've been trying to think of various use cases where it may matter. Since these panels are mostly useful in the early game, before adapters and the like, there probably aren't too many uses early on where the panel is really needed. Panels at both ends is nicer when you're building larger interplanetary ships, but at that point, you're mostly using them to help reduce part count rather than get around a lack of adapters.

Then again, having it look weird like that is mostly a problem when mismatching in a direction that's not done as frequently, and while staging like that.

Maybe one idea is to remove the lower panels from the larger-diameter parts but leave them on the smaller?

So I don't know. It's a bit of a judgment call.

Edited by NecroBones

I would be able to get the next update out pretty soon. In the meantime, here's a screenshot.

I got some simple overlays working to color-code the top of the stock engines, including a nicely curved piece for the top of the LFB. Since these are all inserted via ModuleManager, they could be added to other mod engines too, in addition to the stock ones. I have them set up as static meshes rather than shrouds, at least for now. So they'll always "draw", but they'll almost always be hidden in practice.

KSP%202015-01-07%2018-16-57-30.jpg

OK, I put 0.5 up.

I'm going to work on getting the screenshots updated, and make it available on Curse as well.

I may add some support for adding the colored caps to the MRS and SpaceY engines too, but we'll see how this goes. It's probably good to test it with just the stock engines first.

0.5 (2015-01-08) - Beta
- Modeled grooves in KD S3-14400 tank.
- Enlarged end-panels on 3.75m tanks to cover the rim holes.
- Added color-coded caps to the top of the stock engines.

OK, I put 0.5 up.

I'm going to work on getting the screenshots updated, and make it available on Curse as well.

I may add some support for adding the colored caps to the MRS and SpaceY engines too, but we'll see how this goes. It's probably good to test it with just the stock engines first.

0.5 (2015-01-08) - Beta
- Modeled grooves in KD S3-14400 tank.
- Enlarged end-panels on 3.75m tanks to cover the rim holes.
- Added color-coded caps to the top of the stock engines.

That certainly looks nice, and it is becoming really helpful, since the stock sorting by size doesn't mean radial size.

All the 3.75m tanks are perfect now. I especially like how the black and white paint meet down in a groove.

Comments on the engine markings:

1. I bit weird that the top of a tank is right above an engine, but still, it keeps the visual consistent, and really, maybe it is a helium tank to keep the main pressurized...

2. I think you can let the 1.25m domes go until almost at the edge: a) they are very rarely placed under something tiny, B) they can be a little small on the menu, especially the tall LV-N.

2. The 2.5m and the 3.75m domes could be shrunk a little to match the next smaller size. This way it will look fine even if placed under a smaller stack.

3. Are you able to add end cap shrouds to the top of the KR-1x2 and the KS-25x4?

4. The FL-R10 and FL-R25 mono tanks are almost indistinguishable too. Could you give the larger a green dome where the ​¤ is replaced with the original markings.

5. Oh, and both of those would look amazing with real groves too.

6. Wouldn't it be easy to just MM @PART

[*]:HAS[ModuleEngines] once for each size, and be over with it. If you are using this mod, you probably would like the color coding on all engines.

7. At least add auto-caps to SpaceY tanks, and blue domes to SpaceY engine clusters, and yellow to Ratite and Moa, and green (!) Kiwi.

8. I thought I saw two lines of TweakableEverything's "Fairing Enabled [ ]" before. Now there is only one. Did you change anything?

That certainly looks nice, and it is becoming really helpful, since the stock sorting by size doesn't mean radial size.

All the 3.75m tanks are perfect now. I especially like how the black and white paint meet down in a groove.

Comments on the engine markings:

1. I bit weird that the top of a tank is right above an engine, but still, it keeps the visual consistent, and really, maybe it is a helium tank to keep the main pressurized...

2. I think you can let the 1.25m domes go until almost at the edge: a) they are very rarely placed under something tiny, B) they can be a little small on the menu, especially the tall LV-N.

2. The 2.5m and the 3.75m domes could be shrunk a little to match the next smaller size. This way it will look fine even if placed under a smaller stack.

3. Are you able to add end cap shrouds to the top of the KR-1x2 and the KS-25x4?

4. The FL-R10 and FL-R25 mono tanks are almost indistinguishable too. Could you give the larger a green dome where the ​¤ is replaced with the original markings.

5. Oh, and both of those would look amazing with real groves too.

6. Wouldn't it be easy to just MM @PART

[*]:HAS[ModuleEngines] once for each size, and be over with it. If you are using this mod, you probably would like the color coding on all engines.

7. At least add auto-caps to SpaceY tanks, and blue domes to SpaceY engine clusters, and yellow to Ratite and Moa, and green (!) Kiwi.

8. I thought I saw two lines of TweakableEverything's "Fairing Enabled [ ]" before. Now there is only one. Did you change anything?

Cool, I'll reply on points:

1. Yes, it's a little odd. But that was also my thinking, is that it makes it consistent. At least for now, it let me create these with the existing textures, but I can also re-design them with a completely different look using the same colors. My original thought was something more cylindrical or like a set of raised rims inside the outer rim. I may still go back to something like that, but this was a quick and easy hack that didn't require a new texture, with most of the effort just in getting the scale and positioning right. Changing the models afterward is pretty easy.

2. Yep, that's probably OK.

2 #2. That will probably work fine too.

3. Possibly, but the thing is, there really isn't much recessed space inside the KS-25x4, and the KR-1x2's tank cap extends out of the top a little in order to make a nice consistent curve that fits over the stock tank-cap that's in there. The color-coded cap on the KS-25x4 also sticks up a little just so that it's visible above the engine's surface. If I add something here, they probably need to be slightly conical and come up to intersect the object above.

4. Huh, interesting idea. I'll look at what might work nicely here.

5. True. ;)

6. Nope, that's not going to work, because different models are built with different scales, and have their top nodes in different locations relative to their origins. All of the coordinates and scaling have to be taken into account individually.

7. One nice thing here is that I have complete control of those parts, so I can try to build something in rather than just adding caps. In some cases, simple texture changes might suffice.

8. No, nothing changed on my side with regards to the auto-shrouds.

3. Possibly, but the thing is, there really isn't much recessed space inside the KS-25x4, and the KR-1x2's tank cap extends out of the top a little in order to make a nice consistent curve that fits over the stock tank-cap that's in there. The color-coded cap on the KS-25x4 also sticks up a little just so that it's visible above the engine's surface. If I add something here, they probably need to be slightly conical and come up to intersect the object above.

Just covering the gap until the dome comes up would be good too. A high rim that really "catches the air" looks far worse than a blunt flat front.

7. One nice thing here is that I have complete control of those parts, so I can try to build something in rather than just adding caps. In some cases, simple texture changes might suffice.

Right, but some may want to use SpaceY without CCC, and would prefer a stock look to the engines. By letting this be part of CCC, the functionality could automatically appear on SpaceY parts. Many mods include changes to other optional mods.

Right, but some may want to use SpaceY without CCC, and would prefer a stock look to the engines. By letting this be part of CCC, the functionality could automatically appear on SpaceY parts. Many mods include changes to other optional mods.

Oh yes, I know. I'm just trying to think what's going to be best here. I can do it both ways-- either work something in that looks good all the time, or have a CCC patch for it. I've been leaning toward adding CCC patches for both SpaceY and MRS. But building something right into SpaceY isn't necessarily off the table if it's something that can look great all the time. I'm just thinking aloud. :)

Yep. I concur - this is awesome and should be made stock - at least the textures. I particularly love how the stripes on the Kerbodyne parts line up properly now.

My one suggestion is (apologies if somebody mentioned it and I missed it) that the colors for 2.5m and 3.75m tanks are too similar. I, with my superhuman color vision, can tell the difference at a glance, but I worry that in the little menu icons, if I didn't already know the sizes I'd find them ambiguous. Maybe you could do what KW did and make one of the sizes blue (personally I'd prefer a desaturated "slate gray" sort of blue)?

Also, a low-res version and/or a "textures only" version would be nice for those of us who care more about FPS or memory use than "HD-ness".

Edited by parameciumkid

Yep. I concur - this is awesome and should be made stock - at least the textures. I particularly love how the stripes on the Kerbodyne parts line up properly now.

Awesome, glad you like it :)

My one suggestion is (apologies if somebody mentioned it and I missed it) that the colors for 2.5m and 3.75m tanks are too similar. I, with my superhuman color vision, can tell the difference at a glance, but I worry that in the little menu icons, if I didn't already know the sizes I'd find them ambiguous. Maybe you could do what KW did and make one of the sizes blue (personally I'd prefer a desaturated "slate gray" sort of blue)?

Yeah, we have discussed the color similarity a little. Red was in the mix at one point, and isn't necessarily off the table. But part of the plan was to try to use colors that resemble the logos of the primary manufacturers at each scale.

We're avoiding blue here, to avoid confusion with SpaceY (which is what gave us the idea in the first place).

Also, a low-res version and/or a "textures only" version would be nice for those of us who care more about FPS or memory use than "HD-ness".

Actually that would be counter-productive. The way I did it here actually preserves memory. KSP loads the stock textures and models, even if they're not in use. So if I did a texture-only replacement, I'd have to add supplemental textures for each and every model, and not be able to share them the way I'm doing now, so the memory footprint would go up. The only way around that is to overwrite the stock texture files instead of using MM, which I'm trying to avoid.

EDIT: As a point to take note: this mod only adds 3 main textures, instead of the 11+ textures (plus normal maps in some cases) that would be needed, in order to replace textures but not models. And I'd still have to add the textures for the auto-shrouds and engine caps (whereas right now the caps are essentially free since they're sharing with the tanks).

- - - Updated - - -

-------------------------------------

BTW, current progress:

I have changes ready, resizing the engine caps as discussed above, and adding a set to the SpaceY engines (as a patch here in CCC).

Also:

KSP%202015-01-08%2018-32-49-64.jpg

Edited by NecroBones

Actually that would be counter-productive. The way I did it here actually preserves memory. KSP loads the stock textures and models, even if they're not in use. So if I did a texture-only replacement, I'd have to add supplemental textures for each and every model, and not be able to share them the way I'm doing now, so the memory footprint would go up. The only way around that is to overwrite the stock texture files instead of using MM, which I'm trying to avoid.

EDIT: As a point to take note: this mod only adds 3 main textures, instead of the 11+ textures (plus normal maps in some cases) that would be needed, in order to replace textures but not models. And I'd still have to add the textures for the auto-shrouds and engine caps (whereas right now the caps are essentially free since they're sharing with the tanks).

Maybe you should also advertise that your mod doesn't break mods and part-packs that re-use the stock textures.

Not what I had in mind, but I like it because it keeps the multi-cylinder-ness of the 2.5m tank. And the total composition with lined up rim-holes, and the beautifully executed top is just wow. Can you add a yellow warning top to the 2.5m one?

The three jet-engines don't have domes, but like SRBs, they are recognizable and always 1.25m, so I don't know if it is worth it.

Now, if only there was a way to make open construction nodes a different color for each size when you place a part in VAB...

Maybe you should also advertise that your mod doesn't break mods and part-packs that re-use the stock textures.

Yep, that's a good point. I think a good list of pros and cons will help.

Not what I had in mind, but I like it because it keeps the multi-cylinder-ness of the 2.5m tank. And the total composition with lined up rim-holes, and the beautifully executed top is just wow. Can you add a yellow warning top to the 2.5m one?

The three jet-engines don't have domes, but like SRBs, they are recognizable and always 1.25m, so I don't know if it is worth it.

Now, if only there was a way to make open construction nodes a different color for each size when you place a part in VAB...

Hah, yes, changing the nodes would be great. At least it scales them. But to color-change them like that would undoubtedly require a plugin.

But yeah, when I looked at the monopropellant tank, it just felt like something I could remodel a bit better. And, with dividing the top/bottom circles into halves, and using a repeating shape around the sides, it fit pretty well into the 1.25m texture's left over space.

For the 2.5m one, I'm trying to figure out what's best here. I don't think it needs to be remodeled, but a decal for the ends might be good. It just has a smooth, plain surface there. I have a small amount of space left in the 2.5m texture, so I might be able to squeeze something in there.

Something else I started on, is a possible supplementary pack, that can be used by itself or in conjunction with CCC. Basically, some new tanks in alternate sizes and appearances, but with the shrouds and color-coding already included. I started with a 1.5x jumbo, and an orange fueled nose cone.

I was thinking some other ideas might include some 2.5m and 3.75m tanks with color schemes more reminiscent of other historical designs, such as the Gemeni-Titan or Delta II, or other color schemes. For instance, the Delta-II had a nice blue color, but some red or black tanks might be nice too. Just some ideas.

KSP%202015-01-09%2018-36-14-59.jpg

I decided to go ahead and push out 0.6 so people can start playing with the adjustments I've made. The most notable changes for the mod itself are just the addition of that one monopropellant tank, and resizing the caps on top of the engines. But for those who use my other mods too, this adds support for SpaceY and MRS.

0.6 (2015-01-11) - Beta
- Adjusted sizes of color-caps on stock engines.
- Added SpaceY support (engine caps only, since tanks already have distinctive color).
- Added Modular Rocket Systems support for fuel tanks and engines (color caps only, no auto-shrouds).
- Added FL-R25 1.25m monopropellant tank.

I made a spin-off mod pack, which adds some larger fuel tanks and conforms to the style/colors established here. "Fuel Tanks Plus" adds some longer tanks, and fueled nose cones, in a few different styles that are very loosely based on some NASA/ESA rockets (mainly in color choices only).

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/108238-0-90-WIP-Fuel-Tanks-Plus-0-1-%282015-01-23%29

banner.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.