[1.4.1] Color Coded Canisters 2.0.1 (2018-03-14)

NecroBones

Posted 0.7, with the Oscar-B (after deepening the red a little):

0.7 (2015-01-31) - Beta
- Added Oscar-B tank.

http://www.necrobones.net/screenshots/KSP/KSP%202015-01-31%2010-16-15-11.jpg

Very nice color.

I think such a small tank doesn't need 1.25m's 5 pieces in the dome. Remember how the bigger tanks have eight wedges. Three possibilities:

A. No segmentation, just a plain colored dome.

B. Just the center circle.

C. Just the four segments, without a center circle.

Very nice color.

I think such a small tank doesn't need 1.25m's 5 pieces in the dome. Remember how the bigger tanks have eight wedges. Three possibilities:

A. No segmentation, just a plain colored dome.

B. Just the center circle.

C. Just the four segments, without a center circle.

Yeah, I may play around with it a bit. I already pushed out the tank in the new version, but of course that doesn't prevent changes in later updates.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I'm back after a few intense weeks of RL.

I think I have spotted a general issue with (all?) your parts. When a cylinder is lit by a single distant lightsource (i.e. rocket in space), half of its curved surface will always be lit, and half will be in shadow. Which half is lit? The one end-plane and the 180° of curvature (sides) closest to the sun, with the dusk/dawn line on the curvature perpendicular to the end planes. This is true as long as the light source (sun) is outside of the cylinder's infinite continuation. If the rocket rotates so that the sun is within its infinite continuation, the entire structure will be dark, except for the end-plane facing the sun.

cylinder-shadow.jpg

Indeed, stock cylindrical tanks behave as expected. However, some of your new models exhibit quite impossible lighting patterns:

pmB4BR0.png

cMyxYNd.pngZ23tXtI.png

Edited by NBZ

Hi. I'm back after a few intense weeks of RL.

I think I have spotted a general issue with (all?) your parts. When a cylinder is lit by a single distant lightsource (i.e. rocket in space), half of its curved surface will always be lit, and half will be in shadow. Which half is lit? The one end-plane and the 180° of curvature (sides) closest to the sun, with the dusk/dawn line on the curvature perpendicular to the end planes. This is true as long as the light source (sun) is outside of the cylinder's infinite continuation. If the rocket rotates so that the sun is within its infinite continuation, the entire structure will be dark, except for the end-plane facing the sun.

http://letrasetblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/cylinder-shadow.jpg

Indeed, stock cylindrical tanks behave as expected. However, some of your new models exhibit quite impossible lighting patterns:

http://i.imgur.com/pmB4BR0.png

http://i.imgur.com/cMyxYNd.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/Z23tXtI.png

I'm going to need clarification on that. I don't think "all" is accurate. Are you seeing this on specific parts?

I think some of the grey tanks with raised rims may have their normals a little off (it's tricky with the mid-line ridges since it can throw off the smoothing). But other than setting normals, we don't really have control of the lighting.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to need clarification on that. I don't think "all" is accurate. Are you seeing this on specific parts?

I think some of the grey tanks with raised rims may have their normals a little off (it's tricky with the mid-line ridges since it can throw off the smoothing). But other than setting normals, we don't really have control of the lighting.

Actually, I'm opening them up in blender, and that does seem to be the case. It's the ones with rims that are having a real problem. It's a fairly easy fix though.

• 2 weeks later...
Is anyone getting the issues where the 2 3.75M engines and the one advanced 2.5M booster with the 2 nozzles are just the top part? Like they're pretty much not there anymore and I know it's this mod doing that. Did I not install something correctly?

Is it just those three parts having a problem? If so, then what it would indicate to me is that you've installed this mod correctly, but it's interacting with something else that has modified the NASA parts. The mod requires that the stock parts be in their normal stock locations, without their file names or locations having been altered. Those three parts are under the NASAmission folder, so I'm guessing you have another mod that has altered those.

Basically, CCC is adding the color-coded cap at the top, but in doing so, it needs to change the existing parts to use the newer "MODEL { }" syntax, which specifies the model locations with a full path. And so, it uses their normal stock locations directly.

What CCC is looking for from the NASA parts, under GameData:

NASAmission/Parts/Size2LFB/Size2LFB.mu

NASAmission/Parts/Size3AdvancedEngine/Size3AdvancedEngine.mu

NASAmission/Parts/Size3EngineCluster/Size3EngineCluster.mu

Can you check to see if those exist, or if they've been moved or renamed? What other mods are you using that might have changed those?

Hi NecroBones,

me again...just downloaded and installed 0.8. Small issue though: you're still buldling MM 2.5.8, sarbian moved to 2.5.10 two weeks ago...

Thanks again for you're hard work!

Thanks, yeah I try to keep it up to date with each release. Usually. :) Last update I posted was two weeks ago though.

I've grabbed the latest so that I'll have it for the next update.

Well I don't have any mods that could should be messing with all of that. The file locations that you mentioned are still there and everything. Could TweakScale or Fuel Tanks Plus possibly mess with it? I could give you a list of folders in my GameData directory.

FTP certainly won't cause it, since it just adds parts without modifying anything. I'm not sure how TS could do it either, but it's hard to say with certainty with actual code-changing plugins.

The behavior really sounds like it's not finding those model files in the NASAmission folder for some reason.

I'll be happy to look at your folder list. Also, if you have a copy of the "KSP.log" from the main KSP folder, maybe we can see where it's complaining about something.

Otherwise, what we can do is remove the color-coding from those parts so that they work again. You can either delete it out of the config yourself (they're the last three in the ColorCodedCanisters-MM.cfg file), or you can download this copy, in which I've removed those settings:

ColorCodedCanisters-MM.cfg

Just place that in the GameData\ColorCodedCans folder and overwrite the existing one, and you should have those engines back, just without the color-coded cap.

Well I kinda fixed it. "Fixed it" as in I stopped using CCC because I found another mod that redoes textures and models of stock parts, so I figured I shouldn't use CCC at the same time. Sorry for abandoning you. ;-;

No worries! You should totally use what works best for you. :)

Hey NecroBones,

A great mod, and just tried it tonight - thanks! I seem to have an issue that the textures for the c7 tank adapter parts (added at the .90 release) don't seem to load when the textures are installed. They appear only white... any possible reason for this?

Also, would you ever consider redoing the textures for the adapter parts with your style to make them all even?

Peace.

Edit: Actually scratch the issue - a computer restart to clear RAM solved the issue. I should have seem that coming! Thanks!

Edited by theJesuit

Edit: Actually scratch the issue - a computer restart to clear RAM solved the issue. I should have seem that coming! Thanks!

Awesome! Yeah, I was getting a bit confused at first since the mod shouldn't have affected parts that it's not touching. ;)

• 1 month later...

Updated for KSP 1.0. The main thing that "broke" was that the location of the 3.75m engines changed, so those paths needed to be corrected in our configs.

0.9 (2014-04-28) - Beta
- Split out the engine-caps to a separate MM config.
- Just delete "ColorCodedCanisters-MM-engines.cfg" if engine-caps aren't desired or are causing problems.
- Added minor fixes for path changes in KSP 1.0

I wish the 2.5m tanks were updated to a better style. They have always looked too grey to me. I much prefer the 3.75m parts' Saturn style, or at the very least, white tanks. Even the 1.25m parts are white or have stripes. (Personally, I think 2.5m should be white and let the 1.25m be grey.) But this is just a suggestion. I'm about to try this mod out for the first time!

I wish the 2.5m tanks were updated to a better style. They have always looked too grey to me. I much prefer the 3.75m parts' Saturn style, or at the very least, white tanks. Even the 1.25m parts are white or have stripes. (Personally, I think 2.5m should be white and let the 1.25m be grey.) But this is just a suggestion. I'm about to try this mod out for the first time!

Yep, there's always room for improvement here. I always hated the X200-32 (the grey "oil drum" tank) because it never looked like a spaceship part to me, just a big ugly steel barrel. When making the replacement art for this mod, I tried to pretty it up a little but otherwise make it look a lot like the older one, just to preserve the existing style, but since I was never that fond of the grey either, I could consider whitening it a bit at some point.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.