[1.4.1] Color Coded Canisters 2.0.1 (2018-03-14)

NecroBones

Am I mistaken, or does CCC now fail to add blue domes to SpaceY engine clusters?

Ah, I know what happened. When I updated for 1.0, since it was already going to be savegame breaking, I took the opportunity to rename the internal IDs for the "M" series of engines (instead of the previous "F" names they retained). This broke CCC's integration. I have it fixed on my side, I'll just try to think if there's anything else I want to tweak before pushing out an update.

Maybe the (tops of the) C7 adapters?

An option to automatically add domes to all nodes (mods'!) of appropriate size! Or at least on parts that contain or consume fuel...

Maybe the (tops of the) C7 adapters?

An option to automatically add domes to all nodes (mods'!) of appropriate size! Or at least on parts that contain or consume fuel...

Yeah, I could probably look at the C7 parts. We have a lot of new tanks and adapters. An option might be to add some additional color coding for Mk2 and Mk3 cross sections.

The problem with trying to make it work universally is that every part (and every mod) is different. The positioning of the caps has to take into account not just the size of the node, and its position, but also the rescaleFactor, and the shape of the top of the model (I sink the dome in to varying degrees depending on how the top is shaped). To a point it might be doable with some very clever MM mathematical configs, but I don't think it'll be reliable, especially since it won't have a way to know anything about what looks good based on the model's shape.

Yeah, I could probably look at the C7 parts. We have a lot of new tanks and adapters. An option might be to add some additional color coding for Mk2 and Mk3 cross sections.

The problem with trying to make it work universally is that every part (and every mod) is different. The positioning of the caps has to take into account not just the size of the node, and its position, but also the rescaleFactor, and the shape of the top of the model (I sink the dome in to varying degrees depending on how the top is shaped). To a point it might be doable with some very clever MM mathematical configs, but I don't think it'll be reliable, especially since it won't have a way to know anything about what looks good based on the model's shape.

Mk2 and Mk3 don't really need it, as they are easily recognizable by their outer shape. They also already have decorated ends. However, the circular ends of the adapters would be useful in color.

Would it be possible to have a configuration where the user can add part names for a default flat colored disk of size=node–1?

Would it be possible to have a configuration where the user can add part names for a default flat colored disk of size=node–1?

I'm not sure. Basically right now the only good way to do it is with MM configs. If you look in the "SupportedMods" folder under CCC, you'll see what I have in there so far. Each of those little code blocks for MM are what is needed for each part. It's even more complicated when the part doesn't already use the "MODEL {}" syntax, because then you have to add that for the actual object's model in addition to the dome (the MRS configs are a good example of this). So I don't think there's a way to universally add them without a serious plugin, and that probably also excludes an easy file where you can just add parts by ID.

A nifty little trick I did, is that for the blue domes on the SpaceY engines, it's using the SpaceY fuel tank's texture rather than providing a new one with CCC, so no space is wasted if you're using CCC without SpaceY. I'd have to change that if we wanted to support 5m parts outside of SpaceY too.

Update available:

1.1 (2015-05-08) - Tweaks
- Corrected the "blue domes" for SpaceY engines.
- Slightly whitened the textures for the X200-32 and X200-8 tanks.
- Added 1.25m and 2.5m domes to C7 spaceplane adapter tanks.
- Widened domes on Poodle, Skipper, and Mainsail engines.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The sloppy look of the stock tanks always bothered me a little bit, these look great!

Thanks! :)

----------------------------------

Quick update to help avoid confusion when installing Ven's Stock Revamp.

1.1.1 (2015-05-31) - HotFix
- Disabled the engine & Mk3 tank color codings when Ven's Stock Revamp is detected.

Hi NecroBones. Maybe you have seen this already, but the tank interiors from HGR have a very similar tank interior to your version of the 2.5m tanks.

Don't know if you would want to adjust to other mods, but as HGR is one of the few (maybe even the only) mods that introduce a new diameter tanks and is widely used I thought it might be worth telling you.

Keep up the good work! =)

Hi NecroBones. Maybe you have seen this already, but the tank interiors from HGR have a very similar tank interior to your version of the 2.5m tanks.

Don't know if you would want to adjust to other mods, but as HGR is one of the few (maybe even the only) mods that introduce a new diameter tanks and is widely used I thought it might be worth telling you.

Keep up the good work! =)

OK cool, I'll take a look at it. I've seen the mod on the forums, but hadn't tried the parts myself. If I were to adjust the colors, it would probably be subtle. But I'll take a look.

With this sort of thing it really becomes a bit of a toss-up as to how much it's worth to plan around every other mod out there. ;)

I completely understand. You taking a look is great.

As you are thinking about crew/command modules this might be a good mod to look at as well. It adds a lot of them (maybe even a bit too much if you ask me) so might give Some inspiration.

Thanks again anyway and good luck!

I completely understand. You taking a look is great.

As you are thinking about crew/command modules this might be a good mod to look at as well. It adds a lot of them (maybe even a bit too much if you ask me) so might give Some inspiration.

Thanks again anyway and good luck!

Yep, no problem. :) Yeah, I'll look at the pods too. I'm starting to put together a small list of parts to start another pack, and pods will be part of it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hmmm a color coded canisters update that would offer some textures choice for all the fuel tanks (stocks and the MRS/SpaceY) providing some of the nice textures seen in the Fuel Tank Plus mod (I can't use since my RAM is about to say "NO!" )... Is that something possible (like the fuel switch ability, but just changing the color scheme)? And more important is that feasible, meaning not too boring/long/complicated/memory killing to code?

I was very happy to use FTP but since I reached my mem limit, I had to make some room, removing mods, parts (even stock ones I never use) so I wonder ifthis kind of mod could be RAM saving and allow me (and the others) to play with those cool texture without having the game crashing every ten seconds.

Hmmm a color coded canisters update that would offer some textures choice for all the fuel tanks (stocks and the MRS/SpaceY) providing some of the nice textures seen in the Fuel Tank Plus mod (I can't use since my RAM is about to say "NO!" )... Is that something possible (like the fuel switch ability, but just changing the color scheme)? And more important is that feasible, meaning not too boring/long/complicated/memory killing to code?

I was very happy to use FTP but since I reached my mem limit, I had to make some room, removing mods, parts (even stock ones I never use) so I wonder ifthis kind of mod could be RAM saving and allow me (and the others) to play with those cool texture without having the game crashing every ten seconds.

It's possible, yes, and it's something I'm thinking about doing. But here's the thing-- In order to best save on memory, I'm probably going to end up making it an extension that requires FTP to be installed, so that it can use FTP's textures (my hope is to make ModuleManager configs that detect if FTP is present, to enable the feature). It also means that the models will get a lot bigger, memory-wise.

The alternative would be to double-up the amount of textures here in CCC, when that data already exists in FTP.

There's no way to get around this feature using more memory, but I can make that an efficient addition by using existing assets. But for your situation, it would force you to put FTP back in.

I see. Note that using FTP is not a real problem. I will perhaps have to remove some other mod. The entire mod weight 20Mo only, removing some IVA will save three time this amount of memory :sticktongue:

I have some test cases working now (the 3.75m "Kerbodyne" tanks), with the FTP-support for multiple color sets.

The tricky part was to make the tanks hide the extra meshes when FTP is absent, so that you get the previous behavior. I can't make the assumption that people will install InterstellarFuelSwitch otherwise, and I don't want to make it a "hard" dependency unless you're actually combining it with FTP.

Some samples:

The normal "stock-like" meshes:

KSP%202015-08-10%2016-01-01-34.jpg

A few other colors:

KSP%202015-08-10%2016-01-26-56.jpg

KSP%202015-08-10%2016-01-39-93.jpg

KSP%202015-08-10%2016-01-59-13.jpg

Alright, the color-switching update is available! I only updated the version number to 1.2, but this was a pretty significant overhaul, in which all of the models needed to be reworked.

As stated previously, the color-switching requires Fuel Tanks Plus to be installed (for texture sharing). If FTP is absent, then CCC will work the same as before. With FTP present, the color-switching is enabled.

Also added fuel switching.

1.2 (2015-08-12) - FTP & IFS support overhaul
- If FuelTanksPlus is present, additional color choices are enabled via the FTP textures.
- Fuel Switching added. Prefers InterstellarFuelSwitch, but also will work with Firespitter.
- Re-enabled engine color-coded caps by default. Delete "ColorCodedCanisters-MM-engines.cfg" to disable.

Nice update, but I'd just like to know how the fuel switching behaves if Nertea's Cryogenic Engines is installed. Which patch will be applied, yours, the cryo engines one, or both of them? Nertea's patch should obviously be prioritized since it has LqdHydrogen setups.

Nice update, but I'd just like to know how the fuel switching behaves if Nertea's Cryogenic Engines is installed. Which patch will be applied, yours, the cryo engines one, or both of them? Nertea's patch should obviously be prioritized since it has LqdHydrogen setups.

The fuel switching should disable itself if CryoEngines is installed, so that Cryo can do its thing. The only situation I can think of that might interfere with that is if you have InterstellarFuelSwitch and Firespitter installed together, but I haven't tested that.

The fuel switching should disable itself if CryoEngines is installed, so that Cryo can do its thing. The only situation I can think of that might interfere with that is if you have InterstellarFuelSwitch and Firespitter installed together, but I haven't tested that.

I actually do have them installed together, I use Firespitter for BahamutoD's Adjustable Landing Gear... Since CCC prefers Interstellar Fuel Switch I think everything should be fine, I'll test it for you I guess.

EDIT: Everything seems to work fine with Color Coded Canisters, Fuel Tanks Plus, Cryogenic Engines, Firespitter and Interstellar Fuel Switch on the same save. Now all I need is alternate styles for the SpaceY 5m tanks!

Edited by PickledTripod
Reporting test results

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.