[1.4.1] Color Coded Canisters 2.0.1 (2018-03-14)

NecroBones

My 1.1 install is already very modded but I have nothing other than your mods (CCC, FTP, SpaceY) and CryoEngines that should affect resources in stock tanks. But I did some more testing and found some interesting stuff:

sNsKT25.jpg

Tanks on which you only apply fuel switching like the C7 adapter are fine, CryoEngines' patch replaces your config. CryoTanks themselves are alright of course. It only seems to be tanks that have both fuel and mesh switching from CCC and FTP that keep your fuel patch. Interestingly SpaceY and SpaceY Expanded tanks work as expected, with their own mesh switching and fuel switching from CryoEngines.

For logs you'll have to tell me where to find them, I'm not good with that :P

And in any case if it's not too much work maybe you could consider replacing InterstellarFuelSwitch with B9PartSwitch as well. The UI is nicer and resources locked in the VAB don't unlock themselves once you're out like with IFS and Firespitter. Nertea and you were basically the only ones that supported IFS, and one less dependency in people's GameData folders is always a nice thing.

2 hours ago, PickledTripod said:

Tanks on which you only apply fuel switching like the C7 adapter are fine, CryoEngines' patch replaces your config. CryoTanks themselves are alright of course. It only seems to be tanks that have both fuel and mesh switching from CCC and FTP that keep your fuel patch. Interestingly SpaceY and SpaceY Expanded tanks work as expected, with their own mesh switching and fuel switching from CryoEngines.

For logs you'll have to tell me where to find them, I'm not good with that :P

And in any case if it's not too much work maybe you could consider replacing InterstellarFuelSwitch with B9PartSwitch as well. The UI is nicer and resources locked in the VAB don't unlock themselves once you're out like with IFS and Firespitter. Nertea and you were basically the only ones that supported IFS, and one less dependency in people's GameData folders is always a nice thing.

Interesting. One of the most interesting aspects of this is that SpaceY doesn't add its own fuel switching, so I think CryoEngines is the only one applying in that case. So I just need to figure out why CCC/FTP still try to use their fuel switching rules when they shouldn't, since the MM code does check for CryoEngines.

KSP.log is right in your main game directory, with the game's executable. But I'll try playing around with CryoEngines on my side too, so it might not be necessary.

@PickledTripod -- I think I have it figured out. It's actually a change with how ModuleManager works. It used to be that multiple "NEEDS" statements would have to all be satisfied for a patch to apply. Now it looks like if only one matches, it'll go ahead and patch. So I just have to rearrange the logic a little. I'll post an update shortly.

Updated:

1.4.3 (2016-04-24) - Fixes.
 - Adjusted the mapping of the blue dome for SpaceY integration to match recent SpaceY texture changes.
 - Fix for fuel-switching to properly disable when something else is adding it (such as CryoEngines), relating to change in ModuleManager's logic.

Sorry to bother you again with CryoEngine/B9PartSwitch compatibility but now I get the opposite situation: fuel switching is available but not mesh switching. And it affects SpaceY tanks too.

I tried disabling the fuel switch patches for CCC and FTP and mesh switching still doesn't show up. My KSP.log file from last session is here, and it's from a fresh test install with a GameData folder that looks like this:

1mrqRrt.png

CryoEngines, CryoTanks and DeployableEngines are the test version Nertea posted in the thread, everything else is from CKAN.

Yup. I've been battling with the configs trying to get the Coloured Fuel Cans and Fuel Tanks Plus to offer both fuel switching via B9partswitcher and texture changing. No joy so far. This isn't necessarily your problem of course, since your mod seems to be working fine by itself.

It used to function with a previous version by removing IFS and the fuelswitch configs, but no longer. I haven't yet dug into B9Partswitcher to see if it's possible to define the texture switching from there, but I suspect that may be the solution.

10 hours ago, PickledTripod said:

Sorry to bother you again with CryoEngine/B9PartSwitch compatibility but now I get the opposite situation: fuel switching is available but not mesh switching. And it affects SpaceY tanks too.

I tried disabling the fuel switch patches for CCC and FTP and mesh switching still doesn't show up. My KSP.log file from last session is here, and it's from a fresh test install with a GameData folder that looks like this:

CryoEngines, CryoTanks and DeployableEngines are the test version Nertea posted in the thread, everything else is from CKAN.

3 hours ago, Domfluff said:

Yup. I've been battling with the configs trying to get the Coloured Fuel Cans and Fuel Tanks Plus to offer both fuel switching via B9partswitcher and texture changing. No joy so far. This isn't necessarily your problem of course, since your mod seems to be working fine by itself.

It used to function with a previous version by removing IFS and the fuelswitch configs, but no longer. I haven't yet dug into B9Partswitcher to see if it's possible to define the texture switching from there, but I suspect that may be the solution.

Huh, this is strange. Looking at the KSP.log, it appears that the color-switching MM configs are applying correctly. So my suspicion is that there's a conflict between B9 and IFS. Theoretically they should all work together, since they're using different part modules. Maybe @FreeThinker has some ideas? This is a head-scratcher, for sure.

I haven't seen if Firespitter has updated for 1.1 yet, but another experiment might be to take out IFS and install Firespitter instead. It might have the same problems though.

I haven't looked into how B9 does its model switching. I'm under the impression it has completely different syntax. That was one of the nice things about IFS is that it extended Firespitter's existing syntax, so it was easy to make configs that support both. I'll have to look at B9 and see if it's something I can work with. I think the best of all worlds would be to have configs that work with all of the mesh switchers so that you're not stuck with any particular one, for cases like this. But my hope is that we can get it figured out without rewrites. :)

So this is just getting even more strange. I ran a test with both B9 and IFS installed in my dev copy of KSP (has just my mods, and a few others to test against, like TweakScale and DefaultActionGroups, etc). KSP would crash whenever I tried to enter the VAB, using the CKAN version of B9. Then I switched it to use the bundled copy of B9 from Nertea's pack. KSP would run, but clearly B9 wasn't working, since the fuel tanks I set up as a test for it were doing the Z-fighting thing. HOWEVER, the rest of the tanks, still using IFS, worked fine.

I need to see what the behavior is with a functioning copy of B9 on my side, but I have no idea why it was crashing KSP with the copy from CKAN.

Mods used:

https://github.com/blowfishpro/B9PartSwitch/releases

(Current version of B9partswitch - replace the one bundled with Cryo Engines)

https://github.com/ChrisAdderley/CryoEngines/releases/tag/v0.3.0

(Release of Cryoengines, with an earlier version of B9 part switch)

https://github.com/sarbian/ModuleManager/releases/tag/v2.6.23
(Latest version of Mod Manager)

The spacedock versions of Fuel Tanks Plus and Color Coded Canisters

KSP 1.1(Win 64)

Which leads to Z-fighting as expected (although B9 fuel switching is active):

0p558Kd.jpg

With either Firespitter or IFS installed (same behaviour with either or both):

(e.g., http://mods.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/237233-interstellar-fuel-switch)

mysbe0Y.jpg

sw4o5Qi.jpg

As I said above though, your mods are working fine in isolation, so this doesn't have to be "your problem". It's worth knowing that there's a conflict though.

With the previous release, I was able to get around this by removing IFS and deleting the fuelswitch MM patches. This allowed for B9 to take over the fuel switching, and your mods would handle the texture changes.

Thanks for giving it a test run. I'll pull the github copy of B9 as well, and play around with it. It's really strange that the IFS mesh switching isn't working with B9 installed. As far as I can tell the MM patches still apply correctly so I don't think it's on my side at all. But adding B9 support is something I can do too.

Just now, PickledTripod said:

How strange, at least for me there wasn't any z-fighting. Only the default texture would appear, as if IFS wasn't installed at all.

Yeah that part was because that copy of B9 was compiled for KSP 1.0.5. The 1.1 version from CKAN was just crashing me whenever I entered the VAB. The GitHub copy of B9 is working for me though, so now I'm able to test.

I'm seeing the same thing you guys are. The MM patch for IFS applies but the IFS buttons don't appear in the right-click menu.

You end up with the exact same results with Firespitter and IFS - the MM patch is loaded (you can see the texture configs in the VAB part menu), but no switching is possible.

(Again, although there's a conflict, this is by no means a flaw or "bug" with Fuel Tanks Plus/Color Coded Canisters - these are working fine by themselves, it's just trying to run a combination of mods which is hurting it. Your CCC, FT+ and SpaceY mods, Roverdude's suite and Nertea's packs have been the core of my mod list forever, but that's not your problem by default.)

If Firespitter has the same problem (I haven't verified that yet), this it would probably be something going on with B9 overriding their UI buttons or something. Is that an intentional coup on their part? :wink:

In any case, adding B9 support is pretty easy, so I can probably patch this out fairly quickly.

15 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

The FireSpitter DLL was updated for 1.1 on day zero :wink:

Hilariously, I should have remembered that, since I have it installed over here. Duh. :)

6 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

If Firespitter has the same problem (I haven't verified that yet), this it would probably be something going on with B9 overriding their UI buttons or something.

Verified. B9 also appears to block Firespitter's mesh-switch GUI, so it's not just InterstellarFuelSwitch that's not working with it.  @blowfish ??

14 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

Verified. B9 also appears to block Firespitter's mesh-switch GUI, so it's not just InterstellarFuelSwitch that's not working with it.  @blowfish ??

This is true.  I did this originally to make sure that two modules didn't try to modify the same thing.  However, it might be safe to allow mesh switch (while still disallowing fuel switch), particularly since the mass modification won't conflict in 1.1.  It makes me slightly nervous though - ModuleB9PartSwitch has consistency checks to make sure that no two modules try to e.g. activate/deactivate the same object, but it would be quite difficult to do that kind of consistency checking against other modules, but I guess it's fine to just hope that that no one would do something silly like that :P

1 minute ago, blowfish said:

This is true.  I did this originally to make sure that two modules didn't try to modify the same thing.  However, it might be safe to allow mesh switch (while still disallowing fuel switch), particularly since the mass modification won't conflict in 1.1.  It makes me slightly nervous though - ModuleB9PartSwitch has consistency checks to make sure that no two modules try to e.g. activate/deactivate the same object, but it would be quite difficult to do that kind of consistency checking against other modules, but I guess it's fine to just hope that that no one would do something silly like that :P

Yeah, there's only so much sanity checking you can do, I suppose. :) But yeah, it does kinda hose up the dependencies in other mods that only use FS or IFS.

5 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

Yeah, there's only so much sanity checking you can do, I suppose. :) But yeah, it does kinda hose up the dependencies in other mods that only use FS or IFS.

I was kind of assuming that no one would try to put both on the same part, but evidently I was wrong!  I'll try to fix this up tonight.

6 minutes ago, blowfish said:

I was kind of assuming that no one would try to put both on the same part, but evidently I was wrong!  I'll try to fix this up tonight.

Awesome, thanks! Yeah, it's an odd case of mod interaction, since CryoTanks/CryoEngines is adding the fuel switching, and FTP/CCC are adding the mesh switching. :)

I'm also adding B9 mesh switching to these two mods as well, but I may leave SpaceY alone for now.

EDIT: BTW @blowfish, I really like the clean UI and highly MM-patchable configs for this. Thanks for taking the time to look at it. Adding support for this on my side will also be pretty cool for everyone using these.

3 hours ago, NecroBones said:

Huh, this is strange. Looking at the KSP.log, it appears that the color-switching MM configs are applying correctly. So my suspicion is that there's a conflict between B9 and IFS. Theoretically they should all work together, since they're using different part modules. Maybe @FreeThinker has some ideas? This is a head-scratcher, for sure.

If he removed IFS by MM script and replaced it by something else that doesn't work anymore in 1.1, it's not my problem. But I do know KSP 1.1  required the texture switching some changes in the material configuration, which might have not be properly converted in the BFPartSwitcher

4 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

If he removed IFS by MM script and replaced it by something else that doesn't work anymore in 1.1, it's not my problem. But I do know KSP 1.1  required the texture switching some changes in the material configuration, which might have not be properly converted in the BFPartSwitcher

No worries, we have it figured it. It wasn't MM. B9PartSwitch is turning off the GUI buttons for IFS and FireSpitter's mesh switchers if a B9 fuel switch has been added. Since CryoEngines adds B9 fuel switching to every fuel tank in the game, any that were using FS or IFS for the mesh switching were getting hosed up. Blowfish is going to remove the restriction.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.