[1.4.1] Color Coded Canisters 2.0.1 (2018-03-14)

NecroBones

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, it looks like those end-caps are still causing issues. Would anyone be horribly offended if I just remove them? :) I need to look through my mods and see what needs to change for 1.4. I haven't had a chance to look yet, but I'm sure there are a few things like this that might just be easier to rip out.

I don't see where the stock support for model/texture selecting is taking place in the files, as there's no mention of it in the .cfgs. Probably some naming convention in the .mu. I might just have to ignore that for now.

10 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

Hey all, it looks like those end-caps are still causing issues. Would anyone be horribly offended if I just remove them? :) I need to look through my mods and see what needs to change for 1.4. I haven't had a chance to look yet, but I'm sure there are a few things like this that might just be easier to rip out.

I don't see where the stock support for model/texture selecting is taking place in the files, as there's no mention of it in the .cfgs. Probably some naming convention in the .mu. I might just have to ignore that for now.

Remove it!

Peace.

Take them out IMO. :)

24 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

I don't see where the stock support for model/texture selecting is taking place in the files, as there's no mention of it in the .cfgs. Probably some naming convention in the .mu. I might just have to ignore that for now

Also - Huh?

This is from Squad/Parts/FuelTank/RockomaxTanks/Rockomax8.cfg. I don't know how mesh switching would work (because I don't think any current parts use it, so no examples), but...:

MODULE
	{
		name = ModulePartVariants
		primaryColor = #ffffff
		secondaryColor = #000000
		baseDisplayName = #autoLOC_8007122
		baseThemeName = BlackAndWhite
		VARIANT
		{
			name = Orange
			displayName = #autoLOC_8007123
			themeName = Orange
			primaryColor = #f49841
			secondaryColor = #4c4f47
			TEXTURE
			{
				mainTextureURL = Squad/Parts/FuelTank/RockomaxTanks/rockomax_16 [AlbedoM] O
				_BumpMap = Squad/Parts/FuelTank/RockomaxTanks/rockomax_16 [Normal] O
			}
		}
	}

Just now, AccidentalDisassembly said:

Take them out IMO. :)

Also - Huh?

This is from Squad/Parts/FuelTank/RockomaxTanks/Rockomax8.cfg. I don't know how mesh switching would work (because I don't think any current parts use it, so no examples), but...:

Ah, that's my problem, I was looking at the files for the deprecated variants, not the new ones. Doh! Thanks :)

Just now, AccidentalDisassembly said:

Also, I'm a liar, there is one part that uses mesh switching - the biggest Rockomax tank, just FYI.

Excellent. It looks like everything should still work with the existing part switchers, but it might be good to convert to this where possible. Yikes. I may have a lot to do. :)

1 hour ago, NecroBones said:

I vote remove.  Good to see you on the forums!

19 minutes ago, Norcalplanner said:

I vote remove.  Good to see you on the forums!

Thanks! Yeah, I've been away for quite a while. I definitely want to get my mods fixed up for 1.4 though.  Some preliminary testing has the new stock mesh switcher working on one of my FTP tanks, but it breaks the flag decals. Of course. The good news is that I can use the mesh switching configs to turn things off altogether, such as the end caps, but sadly I may also have to just switch off the flag decals for now too. Unless someone has already worked out a solution to that. I've been a bit out of the loop. :)

EDIT: Interesting, the flags don't break completely... they fail to load at first, and then if you change the flag in the VAB, it updates on the model. But then fail to load again when you start a new flight. So I guess the mesh switcher takes precedence over the flag decal module.

Edited by NecroBones

Yeah, I'm just going to disable those things. They were a neat idea at the time, but KSP bugs broke them later, and they've been a nuisance ever since. I have a lot of reconfiguring to do on CCC, FTP, and both SpaceY packs to get them into the new 1.4 mesh switcher anyway, so it's a great opportunity to turn them off. :)

I pushed out an update to FTP for it to use the new stock mesh switcher. CCC will take a little longer. It's a smaller mod, but it has conditional mesh switching that relies on the textures from FTP. So I'll need to put some thought into it. It leaves the question of what to do with the FTP-related meshes when FTP is absent. Previously it has worked by assigning those meshes to a jettison shroud object placed far outside the VAB, which was always an ugly workaround. That worked well enough, but now the new stock switcher wants all of the meshes to not be marked as "icon hidden" (which hides them from the icon list in the VAB), so that it can color-switch the menus when you select a color profile. I don't think there's a way to dynamically enable/disable that.

So I have some choices-- Have mesh switching turned on all the time, but normally only have one color choice in it, or have separate MU files for when FTP is present or not. The latter eats up a little more memory and means I have to split things up a bit in Unity, so that's looking less desirable currently, but I'm trying to think this through before I make changes.

OK, so the choice to use the color-switcher with just one color in it when FTP is absent, and then add the FTP variants if it is present, is really the best option. FTP is already doing something similar in a few cases.

Next decision. Right now CCC replaces all of the models/textures/etc for the tanks. Now KSP 1.4 has hidden the original stock 2.5m tanks, in favor of new ones that do texture switching. The stock texture switcher replaces the texture on all mesh objects, which means I can't mix their artwork with mine. I was considering just adding my variants and preserve the stock variants, but that won't work with the new switcher. So I have a few choices:

1. Continue to apply my modifications to the old 2.5m parts, and unhide them. Someday later when they're removed, I'd have to just re-add them as entire parts, which isn't a big deal. This has the benefit of letting you use the new variants instead if you want, and continuing to show the artwork on older vessels that are in flight.

2. Apply my modifications to the new parts, replacing the old artwork, just like CCC has always done. This has less clutter in the menus, since there will still be only one "copy" of the tanks in there. However any in-flight vessels in your save games will lose the CCC artwork, since they're applying to "different" parts. Plus you won't be able to choose to use the new stock appearances either.

3. Apply my modifications to both the old and the new 2.5m stock tanks, but leave the old ones hidden. Downside is that like #2, you can't choose to use the new stock appearances for those tanks. However CCC will look more like it always has, for both the current tanks and for older ones you have in flight.

All three of these choices are done with the mindset that CCC can be removed at any time, without harming your save games, since it doesn't add any new non-stock part IDs. The exception is #1 after the deprecated parts are removed from the stock game. My mod could keep people using the old part IDs longer than might happen otherwise.

I was favoring #1 until I thought about the post-deprecation era in the future. It sounds like #3 is potentially the least disruptive.

Edited by NecroBones

I managed to get option #3 working. :)

2.0.0 (2018-03-13) - Overhaul for KSP 1.4
 - Overhauled color-changing code to use KSP 1.4's new stock mesh switcher.
 - Modifications will apply to both the new and old versions of the 2.5m stock tanks.
 - Disabled end-cap shrouds.
 - Known issue: X200-32 tank's outer skin can turn invisible when on "stock" color, and you are color-changing other parts in the editor.

My late entry to the poll.  I'd be interested in maintaining the stock assets and having CCC added as variants.  Honestly, having a stock variant switcher for modders to get behind is the main thing I'm looking forward to in 1.4.  I also think Ven should take this route instead of just replacing the stock assets.  The more options the better.  I even wouldn't mind having the oil drums back as a variant so I could use them as oil drums on bases and not as rocket fuel tanks on rockets.

Yeah, in an ideal world, I'd like to use the switcher for all of the parts in CCC. Right now the stock assets that are using it, namely the 2.5m parts, I'm only having a 50% success rate in getting them to switch together (I'm testing right now). I suspect that all of the other tanks, that aren't configured to use the switcher, will probably be even more difficult. And I really want to use the stock switcher, rather than a mod dependency to do it (I love the existing switchers, but we have a stock feature now).

13 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

Yeah, in an ideal world, I'd like to use the switcher for all of the parts in CCC. Right now the stock assets that are using it, namely the 2.5m parts, I'm only having a 50% success rate in getting them to switch together (I'm testing right now). I suspect that all of the other tanks, that aren't configured to use the switcher, will probably be even more difficult. And I really want to use the stock switcher, rather than a mod dependency to do it (I love the existing switchers, but we have a stock feature now).

When I first saw it, I had assumed adding variants would simply be an edit to the config file.  It's unfortunately it's proving to be more troublesome.

Edited by klgraham1013

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

This was mentioned over in the Fuel Tanks Plus thread, but there's an issue with CCC (version 2.0.1) in KSP 1.5: at least for the 1.25m tanks, the attachment nodes are some distance away from the top and bottom of the tank, which creates gaps between the parts.  It can be seen by starting a sandbox game and loading the stock AeroEquus rocket in the VAB.

(I figured I should mention it here since it turned out to be caused by CCC, not FTP.  I've tested in KSP 1.5.1 with no mods except CCC 2.0.1 and ModuleManager 3.1.0.)

• 6 months later...
On 10/28/2018 at 12:17 PM, Wyzard said:

This was mentioned over in the Fuel Tanks Plus thread, but there's an issue with CCC (version 2.0.1) in KSP 1.5: at least for the 1.25m tanks, the attachment nodes are some distance away from the top and bottom of the tank, which creates gaps between the parts.  It can be seen by starting a sandbox game and loading the stock AeroEquus rocket in the VAB.

(I figured I should mention it here since it turned out to be caused by CCC, not FTP.  I've tested in KSP 1.5.1 with no mods except CCC 2.0.1 and ModuleManager 3.1.0.)

Has anyone found a workaround?

On 5/24/2019 at 9:40 PM, Johould said:

FWIW, I uninstalled CCC.  I'd been using it mainly for the nice-looking tank models, not really for the color-coding on the endcaps, and the stock models look nicer now so there's less need to replace them.  (And it looks like NecroBones hasn't visited the forum since last June, so I guess CCC is unmaintained now.)

Edited by Wyzard

On 5/24/2019 at 9:40 PM, Johould said:

Seems like it would be a simple matter of using NodeHelper to adjust the nodes to the proper positions, and edit the individual part.cfgs, or make a single MM patch to redefine them all... vOv

NodeHelper

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.