De-installing Fineprint

MalfunctionM1Ke

If, like me, your main issue is too much easy science coming from those contracts and not from actual science experiments, this mod may help. Or it may not. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/99664-Contract-Science-Remover

No, my problem is that Fineprint is a very under-developed Mod in my opinion.

Instead of making the Contracts we had more interesting it makes the whole Game-Mode annoying by making the System messier than it already was.

I am feeling forced to clutter the System with SpaceStations and Satelites that are never going to use a purpose.

Maybe I should abandon the Carreer Mode and stick to the Science-Mode.

Instead of making the Contracts we had more interesting it makes the whole Game-Mode annoying by making the System messier than it already was.

I am feeling forced to clutter the System with SpaceStations and Satelites that are never going to use a purpose.

It's a part of the game now, and should probably be considered as such. I suggest you discuss this in the development forum.

You don't need to keep any of the stations, bases, or satellites etc. You can remove 'em from the tracking center, or de-orbit them violently into something once they've completed their contracts if you prefer.

Also, if you don't ever want to see a particular contract kind again, you can edit the file "GameData\Squad\Contracts\Contracts.cfg" and change the "MaximumExistent = 2" line to be "MaximumExistent = 0" for any and all contracts you dislike. That will prevent the game from offering them in the future (although any currently on your available contracts list might have to be manually cancelled after the change).

Also, if you're like me, and dislike the fact that there's now about 15x as much planetary science in the game as there is science tree and think that getting science from contracts on top of that is massive overkill, you can look to the "Science" stanza in that file and set the BaseReward to zero.

(the ISRU missions default to disabled, and the Rescue contracts default to 0 science reward for examples)

or de-orbit them violently into something once they've completed their contracts if you prefer.

This option made me laugh. You've been hired to put a specific satellite into a specific orbit but once the money is wired you violently disintegrate it

This option made me laugh. You've been hired to put a specific satellite into a specific orbit but once the money is wired you violently disintegrate it

Yep... they didn't say not to, afterall, and they really, REALLY shoulda read the fine print ;)

If anybody is uncomfortable with that imagery and wants a less explody/violent solution, they can always just terminate the flight from the tracking center, and then follow the reasoning that the flight is only removed from KSC's tracking and that whoever commissioned the object is now taking care of it directly.

I've been thinking that maybe they should add a "Contract" tab to the tracking station and map screen filters. That way you can leave all those useless satellites and bases, etc. in place and not see them everywhere when trying to see orbits and maneuver you crafts, but can still look at them all later if you want to proudly look back on your handy work and reminisce on all your myriad accomplishments.

You know, you're supposed to be able to decline contracts. Thast's always been something you are able to do.

Sometimes, when I get a contract, I try and make something usefull out of it. For instance, early in my career, I put a Thermometer and Materials Bay in orbit around the Mun for Maxo's toy company. This let met get the materials bay science from high over the Mun. I forgot about the thermometer, and that's important later.

Another contract I got was a Minmus Base. I landed the base, and sent up another ship of science for them to use on the surface.

Then I finally got the Nuclear Engine, and, because I wanted this to be a rocketpunk game, Nuclear Engines were a self-requirement for a Munshot. After a rather harrowing landing where I toppled over, I then launched over to the side and landed elsewhere again, before returning to the Mun with plenty of fuel to spare.

When I got back, I realized I forgot to do any experiments in space. Luckily, I had Maxo's Toysat in orbit with the thermometer. I finished the contract just with a thermal sample of the Mun.

Another alternative with stations is to reuse them yourself at a later day. I've put a few big stations up that contain everything I need to support landings on that planet, if and when I get round to it.

I do that the first time - it's a workable, heavy station, and gets used. Later ones are usually just junk that can barely make it there, complete the contract, and end. Ditto for satellites - they always have a thermometer even if not required so they can act as "science from orbit of x..." science sources.

I am really enjoying the new career features. Bases, satellites, stations... now it needs some extended missions, like carrying out specific scientific experiments on existing bases. KSP never played so good in my opinion.

This is a bit of a design flaw. Some ideas for fixing this include having the stations you set up for others vanish after you leave them. Personally I'd rather there be more use for them in the game, and it doesn't have to ask you to put them there.

If the science system was more than a point collection mechanism, they could be research and training stations, which boost your rep, and skill up your kerbals.

I just don't take any contract that doesn't look sufficiently profitable or fun. Though I do get fun from combining contracts. In my last career game, I accepted a really high-value contract to land a 5-Kerbal station on Ike. Since the price was so high, I accepted even though I hadn't even done Minmus yet.

Before my next launch window to Ike opened up, I got two more contracts for similar stations in Kerbal orbit, and solar orbit. One additional part, and my Ike station completed all three of those contracts! Like $800,000 and over a thousand science. :)

I like combining parts test contracts, too. Twice so far I've managed seven completed tests in one launch. ;) Getting the staging right, and managing velocity vs. altitude for four different atmospheric tests over perhaps 30 seconds was a cool challenge.

I don't know if this has been changed at all, but AR doesn't use antennas on debris for relay. I found that out the hard way...

Really? Well never mind that than.

Now that I think off it, I did indeed always have an 'active' relay in orbit. Never actually used the junk I sent up for contracts

I don't really have a problem with Fine Print's station/base contracts, myself. They provide an incentive to build them, and allow you to craft more elaborate missions with actual pay-offs for going to so much trouble. I think the real issue is that the station/base contracts don't really acknowledge when you already HAVE one. But making an iterative "expand station/base" contract would be tricky to implement, not the least because it would require the contract system to be able to recognize player flights in progress. Though doing that could well be useful for making more robust contracts overall, come to think of it...

I just don't take any contract that doesn't look sufficiently profitable or fun. Though I do get fun from combining contracts. In my last career game, I accepted a really high-value contract to land a 5-Kerbal station on Ike. Since the price was so high, I accepted even though I hadn't even done Minmus yet.

Before my next launch window to Ike opened up, I got two more contracts for similar stations in Kerbal orbit, and solar orbit. One additional part, and my Ike station completed all three of those contracts! Like $800,000 and over a thousand science. :)

I like combining parts test contracts, too. Twice so far I've managed seven completed tests in one launch. ;) Getting the staging right, and managing velocity vs. altitude for four different atmospheric tests over perhaps 30 seconds was a cool challenge.

I usually combine contracts that aim for specific body, like: expore Duna + land base on Duna + set 1-2 satellites around Duna + make some Orbital Science stuff around Duna. Total value of these contracts allows to make expensive and cool looking ships and still earn good profit, while making that flight more complext - I have to plan transfer and aerocapture to get in best position to launch satellites from mothership in order to minimize their correction burns, then I have to plan maneuvers around Duna and Ike to get max science and fulfill and science contract terms and then I also have to land what still remains of a ship as a base. Really, it's much better than regular single goal missions.

If anyone cares, I'd say that part test contracts in their current state suck, no more no less. They're just as stupid as "get this part on launchpad and press space, then recover" or "stick SRB to this part, then get this part on launchpad and press space, space again, then recover". Contracts that include testing on escape trajectory from Kerbin are a tiny bit more challenging, but still don't make much sense or fun. Really, I'd appreciate if there would've been an option to just get some free money from Kerbal underground government instead of these contracts and save some time for pointless clicking that won't give player any fun, satisfaction, design ideas or flight skills.

Or, if it can be done from coding point of view, part test contracts could be expanded to be more realistic and interesting, like:

A. Test engine X on sea level, on altitude Y and Z, while running it at least for XX seconds at full thrust.

B. Test set of parts attached to one craft in same or different conditions. Like testing basic jet, mk1 cockpit, air intake and a chute while landed, then in flight for XX seconds at set altitude, then splashed or landed.

C. Test parts under different conditions, like under certain temperature (would require DRE, unless they gonna finally implement reentry heat in stock, which would be nice for a space sim, I guess), that will require going fast enough while still in atmosphere to heat things up (or build kind of heating stand using an engine).

At least such limitations will reduce or remove possibility of stacking bunch of test parts together and activating them as a single stage to get bunch of money without any effort and will also require at least minimal craft design.

You don't need to keep any of the stations, bases, or satellites etc. You can remove 'em from the tracking center, or de-orbit them violently into something once they've completed their contracts if you prefer.

Also, if you don't ever want to see a particular contract kind again, you can edit the file "GameData\Squad\Contracts\Contracts.cfg" and change the "MaximumExistent = 2" line to be "MaximumExistent = 0" for any and all contracts you dislike. That will prevent the game from offering them in the future (although any currently on your available contracts list might have to be manually cancelled after the change).

Also, if you're like me, and dislike the fact that there's now about 15x as much planetary science in the game as there is science tree and think that getting science from contracts on top of that is massive overkill, you can look to the "Science" stanza in that file and set the BaseReward to zero.

(the ISRU missions default to disabled, and the Rescue contracts default to 0 science reward for examples)

Why not send up one of each satellite/station, and just change the orbits to fit new contracts?

I mean, if you have mechjeb and an ion engine on the thing, it's just a matter of click and wander off for a cup of tea.

Why not send up one of each satellite/station, and just change the orbits to fit new contracts?

I mean, if you have mechjeb and an ion engine on the thing, it's just a matter of click and wander off for a cup of tea.

There is such exploit, but it works if you accept several base/satellite contracts and only then launch a vessel - it counts only towards contracts accepted before launch.

Good advice, thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.