[old thread] Trajectories : atmospheric predictions

Youen

When this mod is actually going to work with atmospheric modifications is it going to work with real life planets scale?

Rumor has it that it does NOT work with RSS. You are very welcome to try and report your findings, though!

Great to see it updated! I've yet to try this mod because I was waiting for an update, should be great with spaceplane landings. :)

For space plane landings, the better your plane flies in atmosphere, the farther from the runway you want your projected impact location. Currently Trajectories does not account for glide paths/wings, so if you place it directly on the KSC you'll be gliding right over the top of it. I suck at plane design, despite how much I like flying them, so I'm not sure how early you want your impact location.

If your plane flies REALLY well, and not like a gliding brick, you can probably just put the X on KSC and dive towards the surface until you are close enough to the ground to glide in.

Trajectories is giving me errors along side other mods. Kerbal engineer and kerbal alarm clock.

Some parts are missing textures and on the load screen it says "module manager: 18 patches applied".

I don't know about the errors, but the ModuleManager patches is normal.

Trajectories is giving me errors along side other mods. Kerbal engineer and kerbal alarm clock.

Some parts are missing textures and on the load screen it says "module manager: 18 patches applied".

if the missing texture parts are white, thats a known bug "TGA loader" best use ATM (it fixes the loader bug) or convert the problematic textures to PNG

Until FAR gets updated to work with this mod

That's going to be the other way around :-) There's nothing wrong with FAR (as far as I know), it's Trajectories that is not compatible with it (yet).

Edited by Youen

That's going to be the other way around :-) There's nothing wrong with FAR (as far as we know), it's Trajectories that is not compatible with it (yet).

Well actually, this time it's really FAR ;) atomicfury found out that the Rho value passed to FARBasicDragModel.RunDragCalculation() does not get passed around internally. Ferram said he'd fix that in the next release.

I reenabled FAR support in the master branch and if people need it really badly and can't wait, I could make some builds of FAR and Trajectories with the hotfixes.

Edited by Kobymaru

Oh by the way, any fix for the g-loading estimate? Currently the values just change really fast and is unreliable.

I'll look into it.

I'm admittedly ignorant of what this Rho value is. How significant is this bug's effect on accuracy? And did this bug only come about recently, or was it always around since KSP 0.25?

This bug came along with FAR 0.14.5 and it completely broke Trajectories with FAR installed. Just wait for the next FAR release and I will upload a Trajectories version with FAR enabled.

Also, ÃÂ (spelled rho) is the atmosphere density and very relevant to drag calculations. But this kind of math is best left to Ferram4 ;)

Edited by Kobymaru

About the g-loading bug, if I remember correctly, it happens since incremental trajectory comptation is implemented, because the current value is displayed (from the partial computation that is still in progress), instead of caching the value from the previous completed computation. I think I already fixed it after 1.0 release, but I didn't make a release with the fix. Not sure to remember correctly though, that was some time ago.

Oh by the way, any fix for the g-loading estimate? Currently the values just change really fast and is unreliable.

Thanks the hint, I fixed it in the repo and the fix will be included in the next release.

About the g-loading bug, if I remember correctly, it happens since incremental trajectory comptation is implemented, because the current value is displayed (from the partial computation that is still in progress), instead of caching the value from the previous completed computation. I think I already fixed it after 1.0 release, but I didn't make a release with the fix. Not sure to remember correctly though, that was some time ago.

Thanks, I found it. Also, "A body in free fall experiences "0-g"" as Wikipedia puts it, so I subtracted the gravitational pull from the acceleration.

I really like this mod, although I kinda miss an option to disable the far/near checks.

I know it will not be accurate if I use NEAR and disable the adjustments but I would like to have this problem to deal with.

It's not about accuracy. There is a bug in FAR and if you use Trajectories with it, your game will lock up completely. Please wait until the next FAR/Trajectories release, then it will be reenabled. If people need it badly, I could post a prerelease and a recompile of FAR 0.14.5.1.