[old thread] Trajectories : atmospheric predictions

Youen

I already have seen it is incompatible with RSS, but I would like to know HOW incompatible. Is it minor errors that throw you off by a few kilometers, or does it just absolutely break during its calculations.

I don't know, it's another player that reported it doesn't work, but if I remember correctly he didn't give more details. Best way to know is to try.

This mod is not giving me anywhere near the correct calculation for my impact location my current rocket is re-entering from minmus with an initial pe of about 40 km and I don't actually leave the atmo, but this mod is saying that I will. I am using DRE and FAR.

This mod is not giving me anywhere near the correct calculation for my impact location my current rocket is re-entering from minmus with an initial pe of about 40 km and I don't actually leave the atmo, but this mod is saying that I will. I am using DRE and FAR.

Did you set the entry profile accordingly to what you actually do? By default, the mod assumes you'll enter prograde, but if you enter retrograde (for example with a pod), you'll have to tell so to the mod in the UI window (button "retro"). Then you'll have to actually point the ship as planned during the whole atmospheric trip (relatively to surface, not orbit).

Also, the mod does not account for weight loss due to DRE ablative shields, so if it's a big part of your ship mass, results will be inaccurate.

I will try that next time I re-enter, there is no mass loss due to ablative shields as I am simply entering at an extremely shallow trajectory with my engine first, so yes retrograde.

I will try that next time I re-enter, there is no mass loss due to ablative shields as I am simply entering at an extremely shallow trajectory with my engine first, so yes retrograde.

didn't work, still quite a bit off

• 4 weeks later...

I just had a really impressive but strange occurrence with Trajectories. I set up for an aerocapture around Duna, but it didn't work, even though trajectories said it would. So I reloaded and tried again, nope, still didn't capture. I couldn't figure out what it thought was happening but I definitely wasn't capturing before leaving the atmosphere. Finally it dawned on me...

So, what was happening is that I just happened to be lined up so perfectly that with the proper aerobrake, I would have left Duna's SOI, hit my apoapsis around the sun, and come back down into Duna's SOI a second time, right into the planets atmosphere and then captured. It was calculating a second aerobrake only after leaving and re-entering the planets SOI. I don't know if this can be fixed, but I can't imagine anyone planning their trajectory beyond the planets current SOI. Maybe you could have the mod stop calculating there.

I just had a really impressive but strange occurrence with Trajectories. I set up for an aerocapture around Duna, but it didn't work, even though trajectories said it would. So I reloaded and tried again, nope, still didn't capture.

I've had this happen twice or three times, on video. It happened going to both Eve and Duna. Your proposed explanation doesn't seem likely considering how unlikely it is to hit a SOI twice in 2 orbits like that.

I've had this happen twice or three times, on video. It happened going to both Eve and Duna. Your proposed explanation doesn't seem likely considering how unlikely it is to hit a SOI twice in 2 orbits like that.

It sounds like a bug I've seen where the SoI change isn't displayed correctly.

Could you make the set target Latitude/Longitude easier to enter? It seems that all other mods that use Lat/Long use the DDD MM SS + compass direction format.

Also I've had issues with the landing site and target markers getting hidden under the surface of Duna.

Edited by Thorbane

• 2 weeks later...

With the aerobreaks, flaps and other new stuff in the mix, All landing predictions will be largely out the window. Shutes are opened when you are already nearly vertical over the landing spot. But the new stuff can be deployed at any time with massive effects. A lot of changes likely will be needed to keep these mods helpful

With the aerobreaks, flaps and other new stuff in the mix, All landing predictions will be largely out the window. Shutes are opened when you are already nearly vertical over the landing spot. But the new stuff can be deployed at any time with massive effects. A lot of changes likely will be needed to keep these mods helpful

But.. that doesn't matter. See, you use the trajectories program to tell you where you'll land, showing probability without those things deployed. If you're using all kinds of aerobrakes and other things, you're probably not trying to hit a specific spot, or aerobrake in the traditional way... (considering you'd burn those parts off)

The same with flaps and spoilers previously in FAR and NEAR and trajectories worked with them.