[old thread] Trajectories : atmospheric predictions

Youen

It's a pity this might not be available for stock anymore, it was a feature that had made its way into my 'very, very nice to have' stock data-only plugins list. Hopefully if the problem is access to Squad's calculations, they can provide some information on that (when it's finalised!) or even introduce this as a stock feature (perhaps late-game in Career mode as another thing to aim for... get it? Aim? Trajectories? Ahem).

I haven't made much progress on this yet. So far I've installed KSP 1.0, and that's pretty much it.

As soon as I find some time, I should be able to quickly make a new version with vaccum (rotating body) functionality. And then investigate what can be done (or not) for stock aerodynamics.

Meantime, keep in mind the mod is open source, if anyone has knowledge, motivation and time to take a look, contributions are welcome.

I haven't made much progress on this yet. So far I've installed KSP 1.0, and that's pretty much it.

As soon as I find some time, I should be able to quickly make a new version with vacuum (rotating body) functionality. And then investigate what can be done (or not) for stock aerodynamics.

Meantime, keep in mind the mod is open source, if anyone has knowledge, motivation and time to take a look, contributions are welcome.

@Youen, I forked the repo and tinkered a bit over the weekend and patched in all the obvious 1.0 compatibility stuff. Mostly a new atmosphere depth function, density takes temperature and pressure, and the applauncher wasn't working quite right. I *think* I fixed all that. There may be a NullRef lurking in the applauncher cleanup/ondestroy but I haven't had time to recheck that.

That being said, the predictions in atmosphere predicts falling like a brick as soon as your touch the top of the atmosphere. I haven't tried it on the Mun or Minmus yet, as I was just trying to get it to compile and load.

My fork is over here. I'm new to github so I'm not sure how to pull request it to your repo.

@atomicfury thanks for working on this, I love this mod and cant wait to use it in 1.0

To create a pull request, from your master branch into @youen's master branch:

https://github.com/neuoy/KSPTrajectories/compare/master...sawyerap:master

If you instead want to pull request to fat-lobyte's master branch (which I think is where you forked from?):

https://github.com/fat-lobyte/KSPTrajectories/compare/master...sawyerap:master

You can review the complete diffs on these pages as well as opening the PR's.

And finally I got to these links by clicking "Compare" on the page you linked

5HdO2sp.png

OK, I've merged it in my repo, it compiles, haven't tested it yet but I will soon. Thanks for the fixes :)

Also, I think I had a few modifications that fat-lobyte didn't merge yet, you might want to get them from my repo (it had to do with predictions precision, so of course it won't be useful right now...)

Edited by Youen

OK, I've merged it in my repo, it compiles, haven't tested it yet but I will soon. Thanks for the fixes :)

Also, I think I had a few modifications that fat-lobyte didn't merge yet, you might want to get them from my repo (it had to do with predictions precision, so of course it won't be useful right now...)

I tried my branch on Minmus - seems to work with no atmosphere. I'll give your main branch a spin. I'm hoping to have some free time to poke at the aero this weekend by examining MechJeb's aero code.

Edited by atomicfury
spelling

One of my favorite mods! Saves a lot of time calculating aerobraking maneuvers, I hope you can work out the kinks for 1.0.2! :) I could help test too if you need it.

FAR is out for 1.0.2! We could get a version that works with FAR even if it isn't possible to get Trajectories working with stock, right?

This is what I'm thinking. FAR mechanics should act the same as they did before, so the predictions for FAR should also be the same.

This is what I'm thinking. FAR mechanics should act the same as they did before, so the predictions for FAR should also be the same.

FAR mechanics are pretty much 100% different this time around. However, I believe trajectories was pretty much just asking FAR "What's the drag of this craft at this AoA at this speed at this altitude?" and that request shouldn't have changed much.

I was going to say the same as futrtubl FAR has changed massively. Supersonic drag (among other things) has been redone on a big scale. However as "FAR" as I know (not funny, oh well :P) aerodynamics themselves (as in L/D to AoA etc.) have not changed as they were already rather precisely modelled. What might have changed is the internal names and the way the code works, if I remember correctly ferram4 (long may he live) said that quite a bit of the code has been reworked and FAR now not only relies on modulemanager but also the ModularFlightIntegrator.

Does anyone know if Kobymaru is going to update this anytime soon?

I believe m4v summed it up quite nicely when he responded to a similar question in another thread:

Yes. ETA is sometime between not now and not never.

Also, on the previous page, Youen and atomicfury had a little back-and-forth on their attempts to update, it's on ongoing thing due to the changes in atmospheric drag and apparently some difficulty is grabbing those calculations from the game.

And yes, I am waiting for this to update too, so I'm not disparaging your interest in the mod, I just don't think it at all beneficial to ask this question, especially when it has already been asked and answered within the last 3 pages or in the last month(whichever is shorter).

Edited by Baythan

I finally have a few hours to spend in upgrading the mod for 1.0.2.

The bad news is that apparently, FAR code as changed so much that I can just throw away all the interface code that I wrote for it. The good news is that a new function has been introduced : FARAPI.CalculateVesselAeroForces that seems to do exactly everything I need. The rest of the mod has already been adapted by atomicfury, so maybe I can get things to work with FAR again quickly.

Stock aerodynamic model is another matter, I haven't tried to look at it yet.