[old thread] Trajectories : atmospheric predictions

Youen

On 17/04/2016 at 7:22 AM, Laythe Dweller said:

Is this compatible with Realistic Atmospheres?

I think it might work (since I don't use hard-coded values in the mod, I get atmosphere data from the game), but I haven't tested. Let me know if you do test it...

1 hour ago, optimusjamie said:

@Youen Any word on 1.1 compatibility?

As the first post title shows, it's not compatible yet. In fact I haven't downloaded 1.1 yet. In fact, I just checked the store and noticed it's now available for non-steam players. As usual, there is no ETA, and anyone is welcome to help (I can't say if it's an easy port or not at this time).

9 hours ago, Youen said:

I think it might work (since I don't use hard-coded values in the mod, I get atmosphere data from the game), but I haven't tested. Let me know if you do test it...

The developer of RealisticAtmospheres PMed me and told me that it works, but the landing prediction is more than 200 km off.

Edited by Laythe Dweller

On 4/23/2016 at 9:42 AM, Youen said:

As usual, there is no ETA, and anyone is welcome to help (I can't say if it's an easy port or not at this time).

Going by my KAC port, it ought to be fairly straightforward. I hope to put together a patch/pull request tomorrow sometime.

On 24/04/2016 at 2:19 PM, Fishbreath said:

Going by my KAC port, it ought to be fairly straightforward. I hope to put together a patch/pull request tomorrow sometime.

Awesome news!!! Many thanks to that!

I'm a few days late, but I have a version that does, at least, compile. Unfortunately, I'm having issues with getting the vertex color shader to compile, so right now, all the overlays are magenta.

I'll probably spend a little more time on it over the weekend, and if I don't get it by then, I'll put my changes up as a pull request and let someone else deal with it. >.>

I'm a few days late, but I have a version that does, at least, compile. Unfortunately, I'm having issues with getting the vertex color shader to compile, so right now, all the overlays are magenta.

I'll probably spend a little more time on it over the weekend, and if I don't get it by then, I'll put my changes up as a pull request and let someone else deal with it. >.>

3 hours ago, Fishbreath said:

Take your time.  I'd rather wait for great than settle for it-sorta-works...kinda.

Just wanted to give a shout out to this mod, I consider it to be one of my "essential" ones and I'm not sure it gets the credit / attention it deserves.

Keep up the good work and I eagerly await a 1.1.1 version!

Hello Youen,

I've noticed this awesome mod isn't functional in the latest 1.1 version of the game. I understand you are busy, but I think this mod is so helpfull, the features it brings should be in the core game if you ask me. Unfortunatly I'm not a programmer myself, so I can't help with coding. Perhaps it would be a good idea to make a "tip jar" for this mod so that people like me could at least sponsor this mod by throwing a few coins your way?

I'm happely anticipating the 1.1 version of this mod.
Regards,

Rombrecht

19 hours ago, Fishbreath said:

Thanks for your work on that :) I think I'll have some time this weekend as well, I hope I'll be able to take a look at this shader issue.

Could you commit what you have so far and give me the link to your repo (or a pull request)? Thanks.

7 hours ago, Bishop149 said:

Just wanted to give a shout out to this mod, I consider it to be one of my "essential" ones and I'm not sure it gets the credit / attention it deserves.

Keep up the good work and I eagerly await a 1.1.1 version!

Thanks :) I played a bit with KSP 1.1 to see the new stuff, and miserably failed a reentry by making it too shallow so that I had to circle countless orbits to finally get captured in the atmosphere (because of course I ditched the engine before realising I wasn't quite there). So yeah, once you're used to this mod, it kind of sucks not to have it :wink:

7 hours ago, Rombrecht said:

Hello Youen,

I've noticed this awesome mod isn't functional in the latest 1.1 version of the game. I understand you are busy, but I think this mod is so helpfull, the features it brings should be in the core game if you ask me. Unfortunatly I'm not a programmer myself, so I can't help with coding. Perhaps it would be a good idea to make a "tip jar" for this mod so that people like me could at least sponsor this mod by throwing a few coins your way?

I'm happely anticipating the 1.1 version of this mod.
Regards,

Rombrecht

Thanks for your support, I appreciate that. I don't intend to set up a "tip jar" at this time ; it's really not a matter of money, just not having enough time to do that, other hobbies, my work, spend time with my family, etc. And sleeping. But I'm pretty sure the 1.1 1.1.1 (dammit, could they stop fixing bugs for a second so that I can catch up? :P)compatible version will arrive soon.

Edited by Youen

3 hours ago, Youen said:

Thanks :) I played a bit with KSP 1.1 to see the new stuff, and miserably failed a reentry by making it too shallow so that I had to circle countless orbits to finally get captured in the atmosphere (because of course I ditched the engine before realising I wasn't quite there). So yeah, once you're used to this mod, it kind of sucks not to have it :wink:

I literally did this last night.  You aren't kidding man.  My twitch followers all got bored and left. lol

12 hours ago, Youen said:

Thanks for your support, I appreciate that. I don't intend to set up a "tip jar" at this time ; it's really not a matter of money, just not having enough time to do that, other hobbies, my work, spend time with my family, etc. And sleeping. But I'm pretty sure the 1.1 1.1.1 (dammit, could they stop fixing bugs for a second so that I can catch up? :P)compatible version will arrive soon.

Sleeping?! How dare you sleep while you MUST update the mod for MY pleasure?! :P

15 minutes ago, Rombrecht said:

Sleeping?! How dare you sleep while you MUST update the mod for MY pleasure?! :P

Indeed.  Your users are numerous, but here's only one of you.  If Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan taught us nothing else, it taught us that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

2 hours ago, razark said:

Indeed.  Your users are numerous, but here's only one of you.  If Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan taught us nothing else, it taught us that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Yeah, I learned that in big bang theory (they use the argument to convince Sheldon to do something I don't remember exactly), but never saw Star Trek directly. I'll think about it :wink:

Edited by Youen

I just commited a version that compiles and works in KSP 1.1.0 (source code only, no binary yet). As Fishbreath stated, there is an issue with the shader. Only tested for KSP_x64, without FAR. So it's going in the right direction, but still quite a lot of things to fix and thorougly test.

EDIT: shader issues are fixed (now using the same material that Squad uses to display stock orbits ; code inspired from RemoteTech). Next step is to test it still works in 32bit mode and with FAR. After that I can make a release for KSP 1.1.0, and then test if it works for KSP 1.1.1

Edited by Youen

5 hours ago, Youen said:

I just commited a version that compiles and works in KSP 1.1.0 (source code only, no binary yet). As Fishbreath stated, there is an issue with the shader. Only tested for KSP_x64, without FAR. So it's going in the right direction, but still quite a lot of things to fix and thorougly test.

EDIT: shader issues are fixed (now using the same material that Squad uses to display stock orbits ; code inspired from RemoteTech). Next step is to test it still works in 32bit mode and with FAR. After that I can make a release for KSP 1.1.0, and then test if it works for KSP 1.1.1

Great work! Thin lines look more elegant! Many thanks!

There is an issue with Jool. The thickness of atmosphere is 200 km. Trajectory is not displayed:

Spoiler

Jool_no_trajectory.jpg

But, when my vessel gets closer to planet and camera zoomed-in the trajectory appears:

Spoiler

Jool_trajectory.jpg

When i zoom out the map to review full ellipse the trajectory disappears again. Please fix.

Indeed, I saw that bug too. Apparently KSP switches to 2D mode to draw orbits when zooming out, and the trajectory wasn't correctly displayed in that mode. You can notice when it happens because stock orbits aren't masked by celestial bodies in that mode (don't know if that's intentional). I've just committed a fix (again, inspired by RemoteTech code).

I've tested in 32 bit mode ; works fine with the same DLL (even if it's compiled against 64 bits KSP and Unity DLLs). I just need to test with FAR and it should be good for the 1.1 release.

Edited by Youen

On 4/29/2016 at 1:48 PM, Youen said:

Make that 1.1.2. Come on, I got around to porting the save to 1.1, and there are already two new versions out.

I just released Trajectories 1.5.0 for KSP 1.1.0 and 1.1.1 on github (same version works for both).

Quickly tested on windows in 32bits and 64bits mode, with and without FAR. Let me know if everything works fine I'll publish the update on SpaceDock and update AVC version too.

@Andem Yep, just saw there is now KSP 1.1.2. Haven't downloaded it yet, so I don't know if it's compatible with Trajectories 1.5.0, but I think it is (since it's supposed to be just bugfixes).

Edited by Youen