[old thread] Trajectories : atmospheric predictions

Youen

3 hours ago, fireblade274 said:

Hello, I kinda forget how to install this again, do I copy the entire contents of the mods "gamedata" folder, which includes "trajectories" "modualmanager" and "MMLicense", over to KSP's gamedata folder, or do I just copy over the "Trajectories" folder?

You must include Module Manager. Lots of mods require Module Manager, so if you already have a copy of it in your game data folder, only keep the most current version.

39 minutes ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

Seeing some (and by some I mean thousands) of NREs during load screen on modded 1.1.2 with Trajectories 1.6.1: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59567837/output_log_traject112.txt

2 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

Came here to post that actually....

same problem- NREs !!!!!

21 minutes ago, DocMop said:

@AccidentalDisassembly @Deimos Rast @*MajorTom*

Go back one page. There already is an answer.

I play in KSP 1.1.2  x64 version; Win7; Module Manager last version- ...24; Trajectories 1.6.1, I don't have no Vessel Viewer  (or how name of this mod...) ; Trajectories 1.6.1 still spamming NRE. I did not find solutions on the previous page ... well but to remove Trajectories :):) 

8 hours ago, Youen said:

@Leemon1 OK, indeed, I see the exception before accessing the main menu. However, it stops after that. I didn't spot it because my debugger was not attached yet this soon in the game initialization. I suppose one should not use FlightGlobals.ActiveVessel before the game is fully initialized (makes no sense anyway, there can't be an active vessel before loading one). This is mostly harmless though. This Update function is not even doing anything else, probably not worth a new release just to fix that bug.

However, can you double check if you see the exception "during gameplay" as you said? Because if that's the case I have no clue why that would be. I do not have this behavior with my install (KSP 1.1.2 x64 downloaded from the KSP store, with only Trajectories installed). To check that, you could look at the line number of the last occurrence in the log while in the main menu, then start playing, and see if it happens again with a bigger line number...

9 minutes ago, DocMop said:

It does indeed seem to be contained to the Partloader section, which I take to be the initializing of the game. Unfortunately, it's after every part it seems:D

Thank you for clearing things somewhat. I'll still wait for a fix.

Cheers.

---edit---

In the brief time I was in game and looked at the map, it did seem to work, but I didn't really look at in in depth.

Edited by Deimos Rast

The NRE about FlightGlobals.get_ActiveVessel happens only outside of flight view / map view, so they are not causing performance issues when actually playing. They also have no other side effect than poluting your log. This bug will be fixed in the next release, hopefully also with the navball guidance display, that I intend to improve as well because in previous versions it was really ugly. I'm trying not to push too many releases, because it takes time (especially since there is one for KSP 1.1.0/1.1.1 and one for KSP 1.1.2 to maintain), and sends a lot of notifications with AVC and SpaceDock.

On 5/2/2016 at 8:16 PM, AccidentalDisassembly said:

Seeing some (and by some I mean thousands) of NREs during load screen on modded 1.1.2 with Trajectories 1.6.1: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59567837/output_log_traject112.txt

I am getting the same thing. Absolute tons of NREs. Not on my laptop at the moment so can't post log but it's very similar to this.

On 5/2/2016 at 0:07 AM, Youen said:

The NRE about FlightGlobals.get_ActiveVessel happens only outside of flight view / map view, so they are not causing performance issues when actually playing. They also have no other side effect than poluting your log. This bug will be fixed in the next release, hopefully also with the navball guidance display, that I intend to improve as well because in previous versions it was really ugly. I'm trying not to push too many releases, because it takes time (especially since there is one for KSP 1.1.0/1.1.1 and one for KSP 1.1.2 to maintain), and sends a lot of notifications with AVC and SpaceDock.

The NREs cause this mod to not even work for me...

I'll post my log when I get home.

Mod is probably not fully compatible with FAR ;/

When periapsis is set higher than 60km calculated trajectory is completely wrong ( landing place mark change its position more than 1000km during flight in upper atmo ).   When I set lower periapsis, landing place mark also change its position but only a little ( max 50km).

Probably calculated trajectory is missing some drag in upper atmo (maybe added by FAR ?)

Anyone else have this problem?

On 1-5-2016 at 11:54 AM, Denko666 said:

Yup, got the same. RCS and SAS dont show on the navbal. And 30 to 40 exceptions per second.

They are thrown by: trajectories.navballoverlay.setdisplayenabled

And trajectories.autopilot.update

Sorry to have to tell u... 

During startup, I constantly get the following message in the log

[EXC 00:03:29.898] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    FlightGlobals.get_ActiveVessel ()
    Trajectories.AutoPilot.Update ()

It slows starting up a lot.

On 5/5/2016 at 0:48 AM, FreeThinker said:

During startup, I constantly get the following message in the log

[EXC 00:03:29.898] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    FlightGlobals.get_ActiveVessel ()
    Trajectories.AutoPilot.Update ()

It slows starting up a lot.

Me too. And not only that, but it makes it much more difficult to debug anything else or even use the log with such a massive amount of the log being those NRE's. It takes up a lot of space and makes it hard to find what you're looking for in the log.

@Youen

Since you already know the problem and have already created a fix, would you consider making it available for the people that would want it, like me? I understand if you don't want to make it a full release and update the thread like you previously mentioned, but making it an option on github would be great. Unfortunately, as it is now, I have uninstalled the mod until the NRE's are fixed.

@KocLobster Actually I haven't a fix yet (and I don't think I'll have time to look at it this week end, I'm not at home currently), but I think it will be straightforward: I just need to disable the update code when not in flightview or mapview. Actually, this almost empty update function should be removed anyway, it's a bit of code of the old auto pilot system that remains because it's also needed for markers on the navball, but it should be refactored at this point.

On 07/05/2016 at 4:47 PM, aluc24 said:

@Youen, thank you for this wonderful mod! I wonder if the future stage prediction is anywhere soon in your plans? It would be beyond cool.

Unfortunately, no.

I've already started to look if it would be easy to do or not some time ago, and didn't find an easy way to implement it. Even discarding GUI issues (how to specify which stage, decoupled docking port, controlled from where etc.), the prediction itself would probably not be easy. For the stock model, it would require work, but should be possible (I think only parts stacked in front of another will affect drag, so the idea would be to "just" accumulate forces on the parts remaining in the staged vessel, and ignore attached parts that will go away when computing drag). For FAR however, it seems more complicated. A new voxel model needs to be built, and probably a lot of things need to be messed with.

An alternative solution would be to instantiate a new vessel with only the remaining parts, without actually adding it to the world, but still use it for drag and lift queries. I don't even know if that's possible.

In all cases, the feature seems to require quite a lot of work :(

Edited by Youen

Just crashed without any crashlogs after boarding back into a splashed down capsule. Output_log.txt is full of

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at FlightGlobals.get_ActiveVessel () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at Trajectories.AutoPilot.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

repeating many times before abruptly ending. Everything was fine before that. I see it happens to people on startup, this was in flight view.

On 5/8/2016 at 10:30 PM, Youen said:

Unfortunately, no.

I've already started to look if it would be easy to do or not some time ago, and didn't find an easy way to implement it. Even discarding GUI issues (how to specify which stage, decoupled docking port, controlled from where etc.), the prediction itself would probably not be easy. For the stock model, it would require work, but should be possible (I think only parts stacked in front of another will affect drag, so the idea would be to "just" accumulate forces on the parts remaining in the staged vessel, and ignore attached parts that will go away when computing drag). For FAR however, it seems more complicated. A new voxel model needs to be built, and probably a lot of things need to be messed with.

An alternative solution would be to instantiate a new vessel with only the remaining parts, without actually adding it to the world, but still use it for drag and lift queries. I don't even know if that's possible.

I see, that's too bad. Well, what would you suggest for those Trajectories mod users who want to accurately land an uncontrolled capsule after it detaches from the deorbiter stage? How to predict where that next stage is going to land after separation?

9 hours ago, ctbram said:

Please link the actual fix you are referring to.  Went back to previous page and I see no solution.

There's not a fix, just an answer.  It's a known issue and Youen will be getting it repaired.  It won't crash your game and the mod works fine.  It's just an annoyance that will slow your load time and fill your log file making it hard to debug stuff but nothing else.

19 hours ago, aluc24 said:

I see, that's too bad. Well, what would you suggest for those Trajectories mod users who want to accurately land an uncontrolled capsule after it detaches from the deorbiter stage? How to predict where that next stage is going to land after separation?

What I usually do is just add two RCS thrusters on your capsule (using the capsule internal tank should be enough). Then plan a bit farther than what you want (the capsule is lighter so it will land short of the complete vessel prediction), and use RCS to adjust after separation.

Another solution is to add a docking port on the capsule, so that you can separate, see the prediction, attach again, and adjust your orbit once you have an idea of the distance between the complete vessel prediction and the capsule alone.

Last solution is to quicksave, detach, see the prediction, reload, adjust, etc.

I know none of these solutions is perfect :( There are certainly things that could be done to improve the mod on that subject, but as I said, I haven't found a simple solution and don't have time to start anything complicated at the moment.

23 minutes ago, Youen said:

What I usually do is just add two RCS thrusters on your capsule (using the capsule internal tank should be enough). Then plan a bit farther than what you want (the capsule is lighter so it will land short of the complete vessel prediction), and use RCS to adjust after separation.

Another solution is to add a docking port on the capsule, so that you can separate, see the prediction, attach again, and adjust your orbit once you have an idea of the distance between the complete vessel prediction and the capsule alone.

Last solution is to quicksave, detach, see the prediction, reload, adjust, etc.

I know none of these solutions is perfect :( There are certainly things that could be done to improve the mod on that subject, but as I said, I haven't found a simple solution and don't have time to start anything complicated at the moment.

I see. Thank you. RCS seems to be the most convenient way for me to use. I hope a solution will present itself. In the meantime, I thank you for this wonderful and much needed mod and the time you sacrifice to maintain it. Hopefully, one day it will be integrated into stock KSP.

On 5/8/2016 at 9:30 PM, Youen said:

Unfortunately, no.

hows this for a 5 second fix?

public void Update()         {
    if (FlightGlobals.ActiveVessel != null)
            attachedVessel = FlightGlobals.ActiveVessel;
        }