[old thread] Trajectories : atmospheric predictions

Youen

2 hours ago, habix said:

hows this for a 5 second fix?

public void Update()         {
    if (FlightGlobals.ActiveVessel != null)
            attachedVessel = FlightGlobals.ActiveVessel;
        }

Context is key. That might be a fix for the Nullrefs, but the response you quoted is about predicting trajectories after future staging events.

18 hours ago, Kobymaru said:

Context is key. That might be a fix for the Nullrefs, but the response you quoted is about predicting trajectories after future staging events.

I really have no clue about ksp api or mods.. I only started playing ksp short time ago, but I do have long history with programming. That said:

The exception is only raised before you enter the game - after that I don't get it anymore. So this would suppress errors on loading, while it should work ingame as intended. To fix it properly, I think, one would have to investigate why the event is raised/method called when "it shuldn't" or when is the proper event to read that property (eg. when is it not null). 

Again, I'm just guessing from logs  and property name  FlightGlobals.ActiveVessel (which is probably not available when loading or on start menu)

Edited by habix

On 12/05/2016 at 0:47 PM, habix said:

if (FlightGlobals.ActiveVessel != null)

attachedVessel = FlightGlobals.ActiveVessel;

I don't think that would work. As far as I understand this issue, it's the ActiveVessel property getter that throws the exceptions. I suppose in previous KSP versions it was just returning null when called outside the flight view, but now it's throwing. The fix is simple nonetheless : not using the property at all excepted in flight view. Anyway, as stated by Kobymaru, the problem is not to fix the code. Going through the testing and release process would take more time than actually changing the code, and possibly annoy users with notifications for a fix they probably don't really need. Also, releasing a new version is always a risk of introducing new bugs, packaging issues, etc. As you may have noticed, my testing procedures (only available in french, sorry) are not so effective and can let annoying little things make it to final users. But rest assured that I do intend to fix the bug :)

On 5/4/2016 at 1:53 PM, Bocian said:

Mod is probably not fully compatible with FAR ;/

When periapsis is set higher than 60km calculated trajectory is completely wrong ( landing place mark change its position more than 1000km during flight in upper atmo ).   When I set lower periapsis, landing place mark also change its position but only a little ( max 50km).

Probably calculated trajectory is missing some drag in upper atmo (maybe added by FAR ?)

Anyone else have this problem?

I've yet to try it in 1.1.2 but in 1.0.5 I had exactly this so I had to switch to stock + mechjeb (landing guidance window has prediction similar to this mod)

I'll try it later today

I've observed some drift in upper atmosphere with the stock model as well. I don't know if it's just because any variation as more impact when it happens early during the reentry, or if there is something wrong in upper atmosphere drag computations. I'll make some more tests with FAR, but last time I checked I didn't have 1000km error. However, I usually test with simple capsules when I'm just quickly validating the system still works after a KSP update, so maybe I missed a buggy case.

In the meantime, just to be sure, did you check the following ?

• Trajectories is set up correctly according to your reentry (prograde/retrograde)
  • You are actually keeping the correct vessel orientation during the whole entry (relative to surface)
  • If you have control surfaces, they should be very close to the neutral position during entry or they'll create more drag than predicted (reaction wheels are fine, but RCS can create unbalanced thrust)
  • Try clicking "update now" (do so when your controls are neutral, and maybe try again just after entering atmosphere) and uncheck the "use cache" option in Trajectories settings to see if the problem is related to any of those

Furthermore, if you can reproduce this issue with your craft, but not with a simple capsule, could you upload your craft file so that I can check if there is a particular part causing the issue?

Updated: Ok so I just realized, via Mini-AVC plugin, that the latest FAR version do not distribute the latest required Modular Flight Integrator plugin... After updating it, I managed to have the Trajectories window open up again!

Trajectories 1.6.1 refuse to work correctly for me. Tested both 32 and 64 bit version of the game. Mod installed are: Module Manager 2.6.24, FAR 0.15.6.3 (also tried FAR 0.15.6.4), Toolbar MOD 1.7.12, Trajectories 1.6.1 and Exception Detector 2.

Aside from the constant stream of NRE at the loading screen, as soon as I switch to the orbital map and click on the Trajectories button, I get a constant flow of these:

[EXC 03:08:54.564] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Trajectories.Trajectory.get_AerodynamicModelName ()
    Trajectories.MapGUI.MainWindow (Int32 id)
    UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)
    UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)

Trajectories window do not appear.

Edited by Galenmacil
Solution found

I've just released version 1.6.2

This release only fixes two bugs : the exceptions at startup (no impact for regular players that don't look at the log), and the navball markers are now visible again (though still ugly, if not more than they used to).

I've been playing KSP and lurking since around 0.18 but I have never registered for the KSP forums or made a post here.

That being said, I just wanted to say that I found this mod very useful in pre-1.1 but I always had problems with the "X" disappearing, reappearing, etc... That seems to be history now. The Trajectories UI predicted path seems far more stable from a visual perspective in 1.1 than it has ever been. Thank you.

Thanks for the update Youen. There is a small problem with the "Blizzy toolbar" icon texture: It is in TGA format and it does not display properly in game. Converting it to PNG or DDS fix the problem...

@Galenmacil I've added a bug in the tracker

@Bocian, @kendoka15 I've also added a bug in the tracker

However, having bugs nicely listed in the tracker doesn't really help in fixing them, and as usual, there is no ETA ^_^

19 hours ago, thecross said:

I just wanted to say that I found this mod very useful in pre-1.1 but I always had problems with the "X" disappearing, reappearing, etc... That seems to be history now. The Trajectories UI predicted path seems far more stable from a visual perspective in 1.1 than it has ever been. Thank you.

That would be good news, but I didn't fix that on purpose. Maybe changing the shader fixed it, even though I didn't noticed.

Edited by Youen

6 hours ago, Navi1982 said:

Very useful mod. Thanks!

But, it would be nice to be implemented a good feature like: "to toggle it on/offby right mouse button click on its icon.

Thanks in advice!

You can toggle the trajectory display (and calculations) on and off by left clicking on the icon. If you right click, it brings up the Settings menu, allowing you to do more sophisticated stuff (as well as turning off the Trajectory display and calculation).

8 hours ago, SpaceBadger007 said:

so if i install far, the latest version will work fine with it, no need for a specific version for far?  

I'm using FAR 0.15.6.5 with Trajectories 1.6.2 in KSP 1.1.2, and it's working fine for me.

Edited by Gryphon
specificity

In KSP 1.1.2 this mod causes the RCS to thrust continuously, both in the VAB and outside on the launchpad. In other words : when you're in the VAB and click on a RCS port, and then move the mouse over your ship or anywhere else, the port is firing fuel continuously as soon as you've clicked on it.

I know it's caused by this mod because I've installed it, witnessed the issue, then removed it (issue gone) then installed it again (issue back). I've tried several combinations of mods activation/disabling and the culprit is definitely this mod.

Other installed mods are:

• Water sounds
  • chatterer
  • StockVisualEnhancements
  • CollisionFX
  • PlanetShine
  • EngineerRedux
  • Science.

From what I've read in other places, these mods are not supposed to conflict, and I haven't read anything about my specific issue on the first page of this thread.

Any clues? It might not be an issue with the mod per se, but instead with the mod not handling properly a PC with a excrementsty graphics card. (Just throwing my two cents as I don't know how anything is calculated internally. Does anything rely at all on calculation shortcuts based on specific features of the GPU?)

I got several issues in a modded game, but not that one - so it's not this mod's fault but this mod could trigger an issue that is by another mod.

You should add the log.

Dropbox is your friend, as 7-zip is IMHO.

@jeancallisti This bug report is the weirdest I've read so far :) but well, with bugs, you never know...

This mod does not use the GPU at all, everything is done on CPU. There is no multi-threading either, and only managed code (if you know a bit of the inner workings of C#). So actually, can't be more classical computations.

Can you test with only Trajectories, without any other mod? If the bug is really caused by Trajectories, it's probably a bad interaction with another mod, as Trajectories on its own is very unlikely to cause such a bug (especially given the amount of people who use it and obviously don't have this particular game breaking issue).

Also, beware of statistical analysis and causality. The bug is there with Trajectories, then is not there without Trajectories, and then is back with Trajectories ; that's 100% correlation, sure, but on 3 observations. Beside, correlation does not imply causality. In my experience, bugs that are random by nature can easily be wrongly associated to something that turns out to be a false lead once the bug is really understood. So I'm not saying it isn't Trajectories (maybe it is), just saying that at this point I wouldn't bet on it.

Edited by Youen

How do I reset this mod? I pressed something in the menu, which made the menu go completely crash. After reloading it simply wouldn't open the menu anymore. Please help, Jebs life is at stake

1 hour ago, Sokar408 said:

How do I reset this mod? I pressed something in the menu, which made the menu go completely crash. After reloading it simply wouldn't open the menu anymore. Please help, Jebs life is at stake

If you still have the log of that session you should post a link to it here.

5 hours ago, Sokar408 said:

Don't know what happened, but you can try to erase GameData\Trajectories\Plugin\PluginData\Trajectories\config.xml, then restart your game.

Would be great if you could post here the content of the file before removing it (should be a small file), to see if it can give hints about what happened.

2 hours ago, Youen said:

Don't know what happened, but you can try to erase GameData\Trajectories\Plugin\PluginData\Trajectories\config.xml, then restart your game.

Would be great if you could post here the content of the file before removing it (should be a small file), to see if it can give hints about what happened.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ss5vuv2ko2px142/config.xml?dl=0

Here you go. I'll tell you if removing it worked

OK, it seems it's the same bug that was reported earlier, you have a bad window position <ymax>-27515</ymax> (should not be negative). So yes, removing the file should fix the issue. But I still don't know why it happens sometimes (it never did on my machine).