[1.8.x+] Waypoint Manager [v2.8.1] [2019-10-22]

nightingale

Is there any way to retrieve the latitude/longitude from existing (non-custom) waypoints? That way I can look it up on Kerbal Maps and find a suitably flat area. Or transfer the values over to MechJeb by hand.

Is there any way to retrieve the latitude/longitude from existing (non-custom) waypoints? That way I can look it up on Kerbal Maps and find a suitably flat area. Or transfer the values over to MechJeb by hand.

One way or another, that will be covered in issue [#28] - but no timeline on when that will happen. It actually would be handy for when I'm testing contracts, so maybe it is something i need to implement soon. Best workaround I can suggest is to go into the map view, and go to the new custom waypoint window. You can hit the "Set Location on Map" button and place a custom waypoint as close as you can to the one you want to measure. Not fully accurate, but may be good enough.

Your other option is to head over to the SCANsat dev thread. DMagic is currently adding (or has added) waypoint support - you may be able to get exact coordinates from there (and if not, you can put it on his radar).

You can't get the exact coordinates of the waypoints out of SCANsat, but you can mouse over them and get pretty close, along with the name, more so if you zoom in on them.

I tested them with Anomaly Surveyor waypoints and they worked fine, but I'm not sure if they will work with custom waypoints. What do you do with the Contract reference for custom waypoints? Is it left null? If that's the case they won't show up at all in SCANsat. Otherwise, anything attached to an active contract will show.

MechJeb landing guidance integration is actually very easy (assuming you don't mind using a small shim plugin, if you do mind that's another case...), as it's simple to plug in to the current MechJeb core and add a landing target; most of the complexity in SCANsat comes from the other way around, watching for a new landing target assigned by MechJeb.

Now we just need to get this to sync up and react with mechjeb targets and the scansat system. Note: I haven't even tested it to see if it already does interact, I just assumed since it wasn't mentioned in the feature lists that it wasn't implemented.

You can't get the exact coordinates of the waypoints out of SCANsat, but you can mouse over them and get pretty close, along with the name, more so if you zoom in on them.

I tested them with Anomaly Surveyor waypoints and they worked fine, but I'm not sure if they will work with custom waypoints. What do you do with the Contract reference for custom waypoints? Is it left null? If that's the case they won't show up at all in SCANsat. Otherwise, anything attached to an active contract will show.

Correct, I just leave the contract reference null. I also support custom waypoints in sandbox, but that requires a host of workarounds (I have to create the FinePrint.WaypointManager object manually, and I have to do all the rendering, since the FinePrint one will fail if the contract system isn't active).

MechJeb landing guidance integration is actually very easy (assuming you don't mind using a small shim plugin, if you do mind that's another case...), as it's simple to plug in to the current MechJeb core and add a landing target; most of the complexity in SCANsat comes from the other way around, watching for a new landing target assigned by MechJeb.

Great, I just hadn't looked into it yet. Now I know I just need to go and look at SCANsat for reference. :)

Correct, I just leave the contract reference null. I also support custom waypoints in sandbox, but that requires a host of workarounds (I have to create the FinePrint.WaypointManager object manually, and I have to do all the rendering, since the FinePrint one will fail if the contract system isn't active).

With a few tweaks SCANsat should be able to show custom waypoints just fine. Right now things might get a messy because the waypoint indicators are all indistinguishable unless you mouse over them (the standard waypoint icons and their associated experiment icons are too big), but I'm thinking that I could change the dot in the middle of the SCANsat waypoint icon to share its color with the FinePrint waypoint icon, that should help a little.

To be honest I was half expecting to see markers rendered in flight in 1.0. It just doesn't make sense not to have it if you're doing survey contracts!

I suspect Arsonide had too much else on his plate - once KSP is feature complete, I imagine we will see that functionality in stock.

As for the GUI and custom waypoints, I don't see them ever getting implemented in stock, so there will likely always be a place for this mod.

First - thanks for this mod, and the quick 1.0 update and release. I do, however have a question about usage.

For custom waypoints, I see no way to set what celestial body the waypoint applies to. IE, I decided I wanted to set up way points to the anomalies on the Mun, but because I was on Kerbin, I wasn't able to do so. Did I miss something, or is this not possible with the current feature set? Or maybe there's a work around of some kind?

Ooooh, good catch. In the tracking station, if you focus on a different celestial body (or vessel orbiting said body), you can add waypoints on that body. In map view it'll always add it to the active vessel's celestial body. Opened [#33] on GitHub.

New version with a minor fix and recompiled against KSP 1.0.2. Download it now!

Waypoint Manager 2.3.1

• KSP 1.0.2 compatibility.
  • Fix problem with incorrect waypoint distances for mid-air/orbital waypoints.

Waypoint Manager 2.3.2

• Re-release due to screwed up version file in last release.

Edited by nightingale

please please add something for satellite contracts too! maybe navball straight line or target ap/an/dn/pe indicators..?

FxSELdzl.png

these contracts are easy once in space, but i would really like some guiding while launching rockets into pane.

Edited by Tahib

You can raise a request on GitHub for that one... but I may not get to that one soon (or ever)... there's a whole lot of work that would be required for supporting orbits, and in some cases it doesn't fit will with the current Waypoint Manager functionality.

You can raise a request on GitHub for that one... but I may not get to that one soon (or ever)... there's a whole lot of work that would be required for supporting orbits, and in some cases it doesn't fit will with the current Waypoint Manager functionality.

Nightingale - Just a heads up. The link in your release post below still points to 2.3.1.:wink:

Nightingale, I just flew a little basic jet engine on a continental flight to take some temperature surveys. It paid well, and really showed off the new aero system. It was quite relaxing, but some of the sites were on the surface. I couldn't figure out where to land, so I quick saved and installed your mod. I'd been meaning to for a while, but I don't get too much time to sit down and play through a full career game.

I have to say, it was icing on the proverbial cake. It turned a pleasant experience into a perfect one. I popped some drogue chutes over the landing site, and made a perfect landing - something that wouldn't have been possible for me last version. I did two surface surveys, after two in the air, and made some good money.

o7 Great work sir.

Nightingale, I just flew a little basic jet engine on a continental flight to take some temperature surveys. It paid well, and really showed off the new aero system. It was quite relaxing, but some of the sites were on the surface. I couldn't figure out where to land, so I quick saved and installed your mod. I'd been meaning to for a while, but I don't get too much time to sit down and play through a full career game.

I have to say, it was icing on the proverbial cake. It turned a pleasant experience into a perfect one. I popped some drogue chutes over the landing site, and made a perfect landing - something that wouldn't have been possible for me last version. I did two surface surveys, after two in the air, and made some good money.

o7 Great work sir.

Thanks! And great work on your side of things, glad that now that things have slowed down you have time to actually play the game! :D