[1.8.x+] Waypoint Manager [v2.8.1] [2019-10-22]

nightingale

This is excellent. Thank you.

While doing a survey on the Mun I noticed that the distance to the waypoint didn't take into account terrain altitude vs above sea level altitude. So even though the marker showed on the ground at my kerbal's feet it said I was about 5km away (Which happened to be my altitude ASL).

Not a huge deal. Having the marker there is a game changer.

While doing a survey on the Mun I noticed that the distance to the waypoint didn't take into account terrain altitude vs above sea level altitude. So even though the marker showed on the ground at my kerbal's feet it said I was about 5km away (Which happened to be my altitude ASL).
... is there a way of hiding them when all the windows get hidden to do a print-screen?

Done and done.

In-Flight Waypoints 1.1.1 is out! Download it now!

Changes:

- Hide waypoints when the GUI is hidden (thanks DomDiaemus).

- Take terrain height into account for distance calculations (thanks helaeon).

If you can also add the ability to "Activate Navigation" without switching to map view, that would be fantastic.
That would be nice. Also, "Deactivate Navigation" would be nice as well.

It should be possible. The only thing that's a pain is that I'm pretty sure the GUI code is hidden away where I can't call it externally. Which means I need to make my own dialog for it. Not that it's terribly hard - just not as easy as it should be. :)

Anyway, I'll see if I can get these items in the next couple days.

Glorious. Thanks.

If you can also add the ability to "Activate Navigation" without switching to map view, that would be fantastic.

Actually I'm not exactly sure how useful it'll be. I notice that while on the ground, apparent distance to a waypoint can be very deceptive due to the terrain layout, such that without the map, I can't be sure I am picking the closest waypoint.

To be honest, you're going to have to visit all waypoints anyway, it doesn't matter if you go to the furthest one first or the nearest one first.. count me in for being able activate navigation. With them visible in flight along with distance, it's just a lot more convenient than having to switch to map view to do the one remaining thing.

Actually I'm not exactly sure how useful it'll be. I notice that while on the ground, apparent distance to a waypoint can be very deceptive due to the terrain layout, such that without the map, I can't be sure I am picking the closest waypoint.

Actually, I just had a thought - I could just add hot keys to cycle through the waypoints (maybe [ and ] if they're unbound). It could sort then into distance order and start at the closest. Leaving a spot in the list for deactivated means you can also deactivate.

Does that seem like a more useful option?

To be honest, you're going to have to visit all waypoints anyway, it doesn't matter if you go to the furthest one first or the nearest one first.. count me in for being able activate navigation. With them visible in flight along with distance, it's just a lot more convenient than having to switch to map view to do the one remaining thing.

Traveling salesman - present the nodes in the most efficient order.

.... And no, I'm not really going to do that. :)

Oh just thought of another possible feature: have the icon within the point blink when you're close enough for it to count, just like it already does on the navball. (I always worry that I had missed the entry message, and oftentimes the icon on the navball is obscured by the prograde icon and the level indicator...)

I think [ and ] are already bound to next/last vessel by default - and I reassign all my keys anyway so I'd prefer for any keystrokes to be configurable (even if via a text file).

Edited by Spheniscine

Doesn't *need* a gui even. Double click to set the waypoint. Double click a set waypoint to unset it.

Though some indication of which waypoint is the selected one (perhaps the "distance to" text could float just under it instead of always at the top of the screen?)

Not sold on this idea, just spitballing. :)

Oh just thought of another possible feature: have the icon within the point blink when you're close enough for it to count, just like it already does on the navball. (I always worry that I had missed the entry message, and oftentimes the icon on the navball is obscured by the prograde icon and the level indicator...)

That one is fairly easy, let me have a look.

I think [ and ] are already bound to next/last vessel by default - and I reassign all my keys anyway so I'd prefer for any keystrokes to be configurable (even if via a text file).

Oh right, forgot about that.... :)

I think I have some ideas now, let me think on it for a bit and see what I decide for the next version.

Nice and useful. On stock I have bored with running around to find the right place for those "Take EVA report at area..." contracts on the very first attempt but now it's gone.

Would be nice to have a GUI button to disable visible markers. It's not convenient to go to the map view and disable navigation each time. Also markers should not be visible while EVA to make it alittle more realistic and reduce the sense of fund grinding by still requiring some effort to find them on the ground.

Anyway, I can always put my hands in your code to make it better for me exclusively.

EDIT: by the way, disabling navigation DOESN'T hide waypoints. So a quick way to hide them is required very much.

EDIT2: that issue might be caused by loading the save where navigation was already on.

Edited by Ser

EDIT: by the way, disabling navigation DOESN'T hide waypoints. So a quick way to hide them is required very much.

EDIT2: that issue might be caused by loading the save where navigation was already on.

That one should be a bug, I'll take a look. I have a guess at what the problem is, and if I'm right reloading the game after disabling navigation would be the workaround.

Also markers should not be visible while EVA to make it alittle more realistic and reduce the sense of fund grinding by still requiring some effort to find them on the ground.

I've tried it. The punishment for walking to all the ground waypoints is walking to all the ground waypoints x.x

Edited by Spheniscine

maybe im doing something wrong, just installed this mod, put the folder in my gamedata folder, buuut i dont see the waypoints on my screen :C i can set navigation to it to see it on my navball but i dont see anything on the screen .

also is there a way to manually set your own waypoint?

maybe im doing something wrong, just installed this mod, put the folder in my gamedata folder, buuut i dont see the waypoints on my screen :C i can set navigation to it to see it on my navball but i dont see anything on the screen .

also is there a way to manually set your own waypoint?

It's a pretty small mod, so unless you have another mod it doesn't like, it's most likely an install issue. Confirm you have InFlightWaypoints/InFlightWaypoints.dll under your GameData directory.

If that looks right then I'll need to see the KSP.log file to investigate further.

Oh and confirm you have the latest version... Older ones didn't treat the active waypoint special, so you have to get within 50 km or so to see them.