[1.8.x+] Waypoint Manager [v2.8.1] [2019-10-22]

nightingale

*plays 1.2 w/o mods*

*cries from using stock waypoints*

Forgot what it was like before this mod - so thanks much, and very happy to hear an update is coming. Why a bearing to the waypoint isn't displayed in stock when activating navigation simply defies my understanding... and putting an icon on the NAVBall is NOT a bearing... more like a 'somewhere over this way'.

EDIT: OTOH, "Somewhere over this way" IS a very kerbal-ish kind of direction system...

Edited by Shadriss

3 hours ago, Bandus said:

Will it be posted to CKAN again as well? Greatly appreciate you updating this!

The fact that it's not already there indicates a problem on the CKAN side.  I'll have a look tonight.

EDIT: Seems to be there now - guess the bot was just slow.

Edited by nightingale

5 hours ago, nightingale said:

The fact that it's not already there indicates a problem on the CKAN side.  I'll have a look tonight.

EDIT: Seems to be there now - guess the bot was just slow.

Greatly appreciate it! Thank you! 

Thanks for a very useful mod. One minor quibble; I'm not sure whether it constitutes a bug report or feature request. Using waypoint manager 2.6.0 in KSP 1.2, I have to squint pretty hard to read it because it doesn't seem to pay attention to the "apps scale" setting. With my eyes, I need to either use apps scale (and UI scale, but that's not relevant here) or run at a ludicrously low resolution.

1 hour ago, rmaine said:

Thanks for a very useful mod. One minor quibble; I'm not sure whether it constitutes a bug report or feature request. Using waypoint manager 2.6.0 in KSP 1.2, I have to squint pretty hard to read it because it doesn't seem to pay attention to the "apps scale" setting. With my eyes, I need to either use apps scale (and UI scale, but that's not relevant here) or run at a ludicrously low resolution.

I'll be looking at moving it to a proper Unity 5 UI when I do my next pass on this.  At that point it'll be feasible to look at the scale settings (for the old UI, not so much).

• 2 weeks later...

So I have been playing with several different mods that all use a WP system of some sort.  Things like SCANSAT, Throttle Controlled Avionics, Kramax autopilot Continued, Mech Jeb, etc.  they all use their own internal WP system and have very limited if any compatibility with each other.  what I would like is for WPM to become sort of a central WP database, and setup an API that all of these mods could use to centralize my WP list.  And on top of this if the WPM could also let me define routes from the WP it has saved, and then save them for later recall then all the autopilot mods could share these routes as well.

Is this something that is currently possible?  does an API exist that each modder could read and write WP data to your list?  and could you add the ability to create routes and save them to your mod?  and of course if this is not currently possible could it be setup?  this is the sort of thing that would just tie so many mods together to make the KSP play seem less like "KSP with a bunch of mods" and more like "KSP as it was meant to be".

5 hours ago, Bit Fiddler said:

So I have been playing with several different mods that all use a WP system of some sort.  Things like SCANSAT, Throttle Controlled Avionics, Kramax autopilot Continued, Mech Jeb, etc.  they all use their own internal WP system and have very limited if any compatibility with each other.  what I would like is for WPM to become sort of a central WP database, and setup an API that all of these mods could use to centralize my WP list.

Sure, this already exists, and it's the stock Waypoint system.  It's entirely up to the mods in question if they want to start using it.  Note that before 1.2 it was possible, but difficult to use "custom" waypoints as they were only really meant for career.  Now that limitation is gone.

5 hours ago, Bit Fiddler said:

And on top of this if the WPM could also let me define routes from the WP it has saved, and then save them for later recall then all the autopilot mods could share these routes as well.

Sounds like a nice idea, but not something I'm likely to ever have time to do.

Dear nightingale,

Thank you so much for your awesome work with KSP!  I very much enjoy your mod.  However, I want to reiterate a previous request for better scaling to increase compatibility with HiDPI displays.  I've made this request with other mods that do not include it as well.  Ever since upgrading to a 4K display, I have had similar issues... I mean figuratively everywhere.  I have included a screenshot in the spoiler section (hopefully... still getting used to these forums!).  Please let me know if you want me to help test any changes.

Spoiler

FOApJsN.jpg

Thanks again!  Cheers!

Edited by xcaliber219
Edits for image visibility

I'm new to using Waypoint Manager, but am enjoying it a lot.

When making custom waypoint files, is there a way to group the waypoints in a custom "contract"? That way one could group waypoints together. Something like:

WAYPOINT
{
    name = Wencee's Slope
    contract = Coastal Exploration
    celestialName = Kerbin
    latitude =  -5.431972
    longitude = -79.460125
    icon = balloon
    altitude = 0
    index = 5
    seed = 1
}

And is there a way to maintain the waypoint's order in file vs alphabetical by name?

Any perspectives on making a plugin for RasterPropMonitor ? Would be nice to integrate waypoint management and data display into MFD40x20 (RPM or ASET one). Really need this thing for IVA in order not to spoil immersion. Tried to figure out how to modify JSITargetMenu.cs in RPM to have this working.. yet no luck :(

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

I have a simple request: would it be possible to have an option to get the distances in NM (nautical miles)?

It would be very usefull for plane as knowing a distance from touchdown in NM we could be able to calculate a descent path in % :

Path in Degrees is Height in hundred of feet/Distance in NM 

It is common in aviation. Then with a speed in kts your Vertical speed to stay on path and be sure to land on touch down point is Speed (kts)Path in %  (1% = 0.6°)

16 minutes ago, Bit Fiddler said:

is this not the same as speed in M/S and distance in meters?  it is just different units of measure, but the math is all the same.

Yes maths are the same but it's much more difficult, that's why all aircrafts in the world have their altitude in feet, the speed in knots and their VS in feet/mn.

On the equator, the great circle is 40000kms for 360°, that means 111kms for 1°

If you convert in NM it's 60NM for 1° and as there is 60mn in 1° of arc, it's 1NM for 1mn of arc. That's why it's much more simple to use this units in aviation

If you target point which can be runway start, is at 10NM and you are at 3000ft altitude, then your descent path is 30/10= 3° or 5%

Then if you want to touch down at your target point and not pass over the whole runway you just have to keep the relation between your speed and your VS: approach speed is 100kts, so your VS must be 500 ft/mn, if you accelerate to 120 kts, so your VS must be 600 ft/mn, you just have to play between throttle and stick with very simple calculations.

There's just the chinese people on earth, still using meters and m/s and annoying themselves and all other pilots by using conversion tables when flying over their country and there is no airliner with metric system units.

well not to side track this topic but..

kerbin is not the same size as earth and thus kts, and NM are not the same here.   you would have to get all the mods out there that use these "units" to convert them from the actual earth values to kerbin values, or the math will not work out.   as one mod may display your speed in kts, but this is kts earth relative, not kerbin relative etc.  but yes, I have worked with mission planning type of things for about 30 years now so I know what you are talking about with this.  and have had this complaint that people making mods that use other units of measure like kts, mach etc.  are just doing a conversion based on earth physics not making actual calculations based on kerbin.

and since all the craft in KSP use the metrics you do not have this problem of tables to convert metrics to kts.  since you are in metrics to begin with just go with it.   otherwise you need a mod to convert your speed to kts, a mod to convert the way point distance to nm, and a mod to convert your VSI to fps. basically what you are asking is the exact opposite of the problem in china.  you want a craft that is set up in metrics to convert all the data to kts, feet, etc.

my point is rather than make all these changes, relearn the math in metrics and just use it, as that is what your craft is setup for and using here. 

The underlying math you need is just a ratio.. 

your runway is 10km away and you are at 3000m altitude.  your ratio is 10/3 or 3.3   what you want to maintain is this ratio.  so if your approach speed is 100m/s  you get 10km/100m = or 100 seconds to landing,  and you get a VSI of 3000m/100s or 30m/s.  100/30 = 3.3 thus the ratio is maintained.  so now just fiddle throttle and pitch to maintain 100m/s airspeed and 30m/s VSI.

so the math is all the same you just need to change your frame of reference.

OK i understand, but if it' works in metric system why would not it work in aeronautic system as it is just a matter of conversion?

Then why a mod to convert km in NM, it's just an option or a line code more with a multiplication? The set up of the aircraft is just a question of option with a multiplier or a divider operation......