[1.8.x+] Waypoint Manager [v2.8.1] [2019-10-22]

nightingale

No plans, but I can always be convinced. I only have a passing familiarity with RPM. Does it have stock camera views where you'd want to see the waypoints displayed, or were you thinking of something else?

RPM can display the output of an externally mounted camera on its monitors. If there are multiple cameras it can switch between them.

There might be an issue in that the waypoints render on a layer on top of the instrumentation rather than in the landscape space.

RPM also provides for several scanner and instrument displays, where waypoints could be displayed as targets, or even the numerical display of heading and distance that you already do in the regular external view.

Edited by ultrasquid
added stuff

RPM can display the output of an externally mounted camera on its monitors. If there are multiple cameras it can switch between them.

There might be an issue in that the waypoints render on a layer on top of the instrumentation rather than in the landscape space.

RPM also provides for several scanner and instrument displays, where waypoints could be displayed as targets, or even the numerical display of heading and distance that you already do in the regular external view.

Actually, I've been meaning to look into a way to have it render within the landscape - right now it'll draw on top of the altimeter and such (which is highly annoying).... maybe doing so might make it work with RPM without much other work... I'll have to see what I can do on that front.

No plans, but I can always be convinced. I only have a passing familiarity with RPM. Does it have stock camera views where you'd want to see the waypoints displayed, or were you thinking of something else?

I was thinking of RPM's NAV ball: when you switch to RPM's IVA you see the NAV ball that looks the same but all waypoints are gone. Also RPM has green HUD display so it would be great to have waypoint direction/distance on it just like IRL. And the RPM has a NAV page that displays SCANsat map so it litrerally asks to display waypoints.

Having all that would let to perform realistic IVA navigation with on-screen blips off.

Edited by Ser

I was thinking of RPM's NAV ball: when you switch to RPM's IVA you see the NAV ball that looks the same but all waypoints are gone. Also RPM has green HUD display so it would be great to have waypoint direction/distance on it just like IRL. And the RPM has a NAV page that displays SCANsat map so it litrerally asks to display waypoints.

Having all that would let to perform realistic IVA navigation with on-screen blips off.

I see, makes sense. It sounds however like what you really want is the makers of RPM to support waypoints for those items - they'd have far more luck changing that stuff than I would. They are of course, welcome to check out my implementation (if it's helpful to them).

Note also that the waypoints on the non-IVA navball is stock (not Waypoint Manager).

Yeah I see a lot of NullReferenceExceptions...

[EXC 03:34:10.338] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object    WaypointManager.Util.TerrainHeight (Double latitude, Double longitude, .CelestialBody body)
WaypointManager.Util.WaypointHeight (FinePrint.Waypoint w, .CelestialBody body)
WaypointManager.WaypointData.CacheWaypointData ()
WaypointManager.WaypointManager.OnGUI ()

Full log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4oy0rkfzy3ixo1w/KSP.log?dl=0

Yeah I see a lot of NullReferenceExceptions...

[EXC 03:34:10.338] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object    WaypointManager.Util.TerrainHeight (Double latitude, Double longitude, .CelestialBody body)
WaypointManager.Util.WaypointHeight (FinePrint.Waypoint w, .CelestialBody body)
WaypointManager.WaypointData.CacheWaypointData ()
WaypointManager.WaypointManager.OnGUI ()

Full log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4oy0rkfzy3ixo1w/KSP.log?dl=0

Hmmm.... the only reason that could happen is the PQS controller is null. Don't suppose your save has waypoints on the Sun or Jool? That's the only way I'm aware of that can happen. Oh well, I think I can put in a workaround, but would be nice to know why it's happening....

EDIT: Or it could happen if it couldn't find the celestial body by name. Perhaps you had a planet pack installed and then removed it? That seems like a long shot...

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure if this will fix the issue, but let's give it a go. Spheniscine - make sure to double check the logs as one case may have a warning. Download here.

Waypoint Manager 2.1.3

- Fixes for possible NullReferenceException (thanks Spheniscine).

Edited by nightingale

Yes, I have a contract for temperature readings on waypoints over Jool. Will try the fix and let you know.

edit: It appears to work (GUI works; not tried using the waypoints on Jool or anywhere else yet). Thanks for the mod! Log file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26985795/KSP%20%282%29.log

Edited by Spheniscine

I kinda really like the idea I guess... :D

Is that supposed to work together/or at least compatible with the kerbal Flight indicator?

Or I am missunderstood and this is not a H.U.D. upgrade?

This has nothing to do with Kerbal Flight Indicators - but they should work together, as far as I know.

So, in CKAN this mod is still called In Flight waypoint, and doesn't seem to have an update. Is it correctly updated? I'm unable to check ingame right now

In the command line it shows up as InFlightWaypoints, and in the CKAN GUI it shows up as Waypoint Manager, but after playing with it, there seems to be problems. The idea was to provide proper backwards compatibility/upgradeability, but it doesn't seem to be working right. I'm going to replace it in CKAN with one called WaypointManager... we'll see if that just ends up breaking things further... (apologies in advance to Hakan who will likely be fixing the mess I make in 2 or 3 hours).

I believe everything turned out fine, right?

Yup, everything seems to be alright! Forgot to come back here and post an update. :)

Important notice to CKAN users: Waypoint Manager now shows up in CKAN under the identifier "WaypointManager" instead of "InFlightWaypoints". This means that you will need to uninstall the one that shows up under InFlightWaypoints and install the WaypointManager one.

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent mod! The only important feature lacking is MechJeb integration. I mean feeding contract waypoint coordinates to Landing Guidance or Rover Autopilot would be nice, no?

Excellent mod! The only important feature lacking is MechJeb integration. I mean feeding contract waypoint coordinates to Landing Guidance or Rover Autopilot would be nice, no?

Interesting idea, to be honest I've never played with MechJeb so I don't even know if this is feasible/possible. Raised [#28] on GitHub to track, but no promises.

New release! Just a bug fix release, but a few important ones, so I'd recommend you download now!

Waypoint Manager 2.1.6

• Fix for NullReferenceException in some cases.
  • Fix for Module Manager reload (and possibly other scenarios) causing the add-on to get started multiple times (causes possible performance/rendering issues).
  • Don't occlude waypoints when really close (fixes issues with waypoints at the top of hills disappearing).

Interesting idea, to be honest I've never played with MechJeb so I don't even know if this is feasible/possible. Raised [#28] on GitHub to track, but no promises.

Waypoint Manager displays heading to waypoint, and MechJeb's various autopilot options use the same heading number to orient its direction. I already copy that number manually and have had great success. I've no idea what it would take to automate that, but I wouldn't expect it be too hard to integrate on that level (I could be wrong, of course).

Its a great mod! Combined with mods like KIS, rovers and other stuff it provides a lot of whats missing to do what has to be done after landing on a planet. Exploration is now a lot more realistic. Thanx!