[1.8.x+] Waypoint Manager [v2.8.1] [2019-10-22]

nightingale

I think i found a bug, I don't have any active contracts which gives waypoints, I have only satellite contract active, and this is what I see when I fly:

http://imgur.com/MQY8LnD

http://imgur.com/uvwSCH6

http://imgur.com/F2icD06

I think this is happening only if I have at least one active satellite contract.

How do you posting images, it doesn't want to show.

Edited by robson1000

I think i found a bug, I don't have any active contracts which gives waypoints, I have only satellite contract active, and this is what I see when I fly:

http://imgur.com/MQY8LnD

http://imgur.com/uvwSCH6

http://imgur.com/F2icD06

I think this is happening only if I have at least one active satellite contract.

How do you posting images, it doesn't want to show.

Like this!

MQY8LnD.png

uvwSCH6.png

F2icD06.png

In imgur, right click the image and click "Copy image URL" (text may be different for different browsers). In the KSP forum, click the "Insert Image" button, and paste the URL (the one that ends in .png).

Anyway, on to your issue - definite bug. I forgot about the fact that the way FinePrint worked (and therefore stock now works) is that the orbit apoapsis, periapsis, ascending and descending nodes are implemented as waypoints. Should be a fairly easy fix, I'll try to get it out ASAP.

Edited by nightingale
I also have trouble with images apparently....

In-Flight Waypoints 1.2.1 is out!

CKAN currently only has 1.2.0. I realize it's only been out for probably less than 10 minutes, but do you know if that's something on your end or theirs, or if it's just that the repository doesn't get updated more than once every (couple) hour(s)?

CKAN currently only has 1.2.0. I realize it's only been out for probably less than 10 minutes, but do you know if that's something on your end or theirs, or if it's just that the repository doesn't get updated more than once every (couple) hour(s)?

I set up the NetKAN file which is what's used for generating the CKAN releases and haven't had a problem, so it's more than likely the bot just hasn't run. I *thought* it was every hour or so - but could be wrong on that part. Hopefully that means you don't have longer than 30 minutes to wait. :)

Also - does this mean I have to start stealth-posting updates on github and waiting a couple hours before posting? :D

EDIT: Yeah, it could be longer - 1.2.0 went up ~5 hours ago, and it popped up on CKAN ~2 hours ago (each of these could be off by up to 30 minutes either way). However, Hakan said this on the CKAN thread:

About an hour or so. The netkan-bot runs hourly and scans kerbalstuff updates, but if the author updated just one minute too late...

So maybe github is rounding *really* creatively. Wait about another 20 minutes, hopefully?

Edited by nightingale

NetKan bots run once an hour... so just depends where the release falls in the 60 minutes

Well, I just checked CKAN again, and In-Flight Waypoints is still 1.2.0 only. It's been well over an hour two hours now. It doesn't matter too much to me though; it's 6 am here and I'm sure it'll be sorted by the time I wake up.

Edited by armagheddonsgw

Well, I just checked CKAN again, and In-Flight Waypoints is still 1.2.0 only. It's been well over an hour two hours now. It doesn't matter too much to me though; it's 6 am here and I'm sure it'll be sorted by the time I wake up.

Yeah, looks like the NetKAN bot hasn't committed anything in about 4 hours. Could be a problem on their side, or could just be something delaying it. I could manually throw a .ckan update up, but it defeats the purpose of the NetKAN bot, and I still suspect it'll be faster to have the bot do it rather than waiting for someone to accept the pull request (and if I do it manually I may do a careless mistake).

<shrug>... I'm also assuming it'll be up in the "morning" (despite the time difference, we appear to be on the same schedule :D).

Yeah, looks like the NetKAN bot hasn't committed anything in about 4 hours. Could be a problem on their side, or could just be something delaying it.

Problem on our side, actually. We reconfigured our bot setup, and there are still some more corner cases we need to polish well and good.

Things are working smoothly again, though. Sorry again. ;.;

Edited by hakan
netkan-bot is alive again

Okay... so I have a weird one related to actual distance to waypoint again:

Distance to waypoint on the ground always works exactly as it should. So that's fixed. If I walk a kerbal up to the waypoint on the ground it shows 0.0m (or something close enough to that).

The weird one comes on aerial surveys and ones you can do by zipping over in orbit or a sub-orbit (I'm exploring minmus right now).

What happens maybe 30-40% of the time is the distance shown is way, way off, but other times it is exactly right. I'm thinking it may have something to do with northern and southern hemisphere. The one I just had that happen with is in the south, and the one I remember working correctly was in the north. Not 100% sure on that one, probably not because now that I'm thinking about it I had that happen on an aerial survey where all the nodes were north of KSC (I think). Two of the Three points read correctly, the third said it was over 100km away but I was right on top of it. Flashed and everything (same with these ones around Minmus)

EDIT: After further testing it seems to have nothing to do with the hemisphere. Just did two around the Mun that were in the southern hemisphere and were correct. So no idea why some are off by a lot or what might be causing it.

Have I mentioned how great this mod is? Survey missions are my favorite now. I like having the waypoints for walking Kerbals on EVA. Usually they are 2-3 km away from a central landing place so being off by a little bit would have you off by a lot, and that translates to not fun pretty fast. Especially with the map view switching that must be done to get pointed in the right direction.

Edited by helaeon
Further Testing

Okay... so I have a weird one related to actual distance to waypoint again:

Distance to waypoint on the ground always works exactly as it should. So that's fixed. If I walk a kerbal up to the waypoint on the ground it shows 0.0m (or something close enough to that).

The weird one comes on aerial surveys and ones you can do by zipping over in orbit or a sub-orbit (I'm exploring minmus right now).

What happens maybe 30-40% of the time is the distance shown is way, way off, but other times it is exactly right. I'm thinking it may have something to do with northern and southern hemisphere. The one I just had that happen with is in the south, and the one I remember working correctly was in the north. Not 100% sure on that one, probably not because now that I'm thinking about it I had that happen on an aerial survey where all the nodes were north of KSC (I think). Two of the Three points read correctly, the third said it was over 100km away but I was right on top of it. Flashed and everything (same with these ones around Minmus)

EDIT: After further testing it seems to have nothing to do with the hemisphere. Just did two around the Mun that were in the southern hemisphere and were correct. So no idea why some are off by a lot or what might be causing it.

Have I mentioned how great this mod is? Survey missions are my favorite now. I like having the waypoints for walking Kerbals on EVA. Usually they are 2-3 km away from a central landing place so being off by a little bit would have you off by a lot, and that translates to not fun pretty fast. Especially with the map view switching that must be done to get pointed in the right direction.

Can you send a save file? I got a pull request that looks like it should fix your issue (was that you that submitted it?) I'm not at a computer at the moment, so it'll be a little while before I can take a look in detail.

EDIT: Had a chance to play with this, but haven't yet reproduced. Note that the way I currently have it uses the actual distance (not lateral distance). So if you're 10 km above the prescribed altitude, it'll say 10 km. Is that what the issue is? The pull request I got changes this to use the Squad function which calculates lateral distance - I'll have to play with that to see if that makes more sense.

Edited by nightingale

Yeah I do think lateral distance makes more sense, since that's what the contracts look for as long as you're in the correct altitude range, which is quite wide ("above X meters" extends all the way to "near in space", I believe?) The waypoints are placed in the air/space, but only as a guideline.

(As a bonus, I think it would thus calculate the correct "great circle" distance for a waypoint that's near the other side of the relevant world. Currently it shows the distance straight through it, causing your distance to actually increase as you circle around.)

Edited by Spheniscine

Yeah I do think lateral distance makes more sense, since that's what the contracts look for as long as you're in the correct altitude range, which is quite wide ("above X meters" extends all the way to "near in space", I believe?) The waypoints are placed in the air/space, but only as a guideline.

(As a bonus, I think it would thus calculate the correct "great circle" distance for a waypoint that's near the other side of the relevant world. Currently it shows the distance straight through it, causing your distance to actually increase as you circle around.)

I'll change it to lateral distance - just not sure if that will fix heleon's issue from what he described though. :(

No, me :sticktongue:

I think too, the lateral distance makes more sense.

Oh awesome, almost missed your post. I merged the lateral distance one, but unfortunately the stock one just removes altitude from the calculation, it's not true "great circle" distance like Spheniscine wanted (which would be nice). I may throw that in, shouldn't be too hard.

EDIT: yeah, okay, I see how the stock one works.... looks to be based on the vessel's altitude rather than the waypoint altitude. So if you have a VTOL craft and go straight up, the distance to the waypoint increases (despite being a "lateral" distance"). The solution I'm thinking will be:

1. Based on waypoint altitude (since that's fixed).
  2. Use "great circle" distance calculation.

Edited by nightingale

In-Flight Waypoints 1.2.2 is out! Download it now!

Changes:

- Improved calculation of distance to waypoint - now uses the distance along the planet (instead of through the planet). (Thanks Peppie23)

- Display ETA to waypoint. (Thanks Peppie23)

- Move out of the way when altimeter panel pops down (sort of).

helaeon - I suspect this may fix your issue (since that part of the code was completely rewritten), but let me know.

In-Flight Waypoints 1.2.2 is out! Download it now!

Changes:

- Improved calculation of distance to waypoint - now uses the distance along the planet (instead of through the planet). (Thanks Peppie23)

- Display ETA to waypoint. (Thanks Peppie23)

- Move out of the way when altimeter panel pops down (sort of).

helaeon - I suspect this may fix your issue (since that part of the code was completely rewritten), but let me know.

It could be and I could see how it might be it as I was only seeing it regularly on Minmus. The 10 or so that I've done on the Mun I've yet to see it happen. Could be the one on Kerbin was an anomaly. I have another survey involving "flight above" for 3 waypoints on Minmus. I'll edit this post and let you know using this latest version.

Update: New distance read-out is working as expected.

ETA counter is a bit interesting... doesn't work when in orbit, gives read-out when landing but it does get goofy, bounces all over the place when bouncing over the surface on EVA (tested on Minmus). Works awesome when jetpacking or in-flight in atmo.

To me the distance read-out is the important one and it works great.

Edited by helaeon

ETA counter is a bit interesting... doesn't work when in orbit, gives read-out when landing but it does get goofy, bounces all over the place when bouncing over the surface on EVA (tested on Minmus). Works awesome when jetpacking or in-flight in atmo.

Yeah, still trying to figure out if there's a more graceful way to do it. Should I take the velocity component only in the direction towards the waypoint? Should I shut it off if the sorted speed is changing wildly? All of these might make it better in some situations,but worse in others.

As it is I may just allow a config file option to turn it off.

How can I move the readout to the top of the screen like that? For me it's just stuck right in the middle, which I'm sure you can imagine is less than ideal :P

That's my "fix" for the text not sliding down.... And it's not working well in some scenarios. Windowed mode is broken for sure.

Can you confirm if you're in windowed mode and what resolution you're running?

Can you confirm if you're in windowed mode and what resolution you're running?

Yep, windowed mode. 1600x900 resolution. It might be best if you added something to let you move it around, perhaps a settings window or have a part of it you could click/drag to move around. :)

EDIT: Can't you query the window/screen dimensions and UI scale and use that to figure out where to put things? Something like:

// Pseudocode
Size size = Game.ScreenSize();
float uiScale = Game.UIScale();
int width = ___, height = ___;
int yCoord = ___;
drawUIAt((size.width() - uiScale * width) / 2, uiScale * yCoord, width * uiScale, height * uiScale);

Edited by armagheddonsgw