[1.0.5] Atomic Age - Nuclear Propulsion - Red Hot Radiators

Porkjet

Indeed, the actives are so effective even that I've ramped up the lightbulb heat production to 2000 for the next version. This requires two large stock active panels for unlimited burn time, seems right to me as a means to give some 'debuff' to an inherently 'overpowered' engine, aswell as an excuse to cover your spaceship in radiators and make it look awesome.

Sorry, but with all due respect you are completely incorrect.

I've been doing some streaming and use the Nuclear Lightbulb as my main interplanetary engine with some very long burns, and have no issue using it with (in most cases) a pair of the medium deployable radiators. I expect if I wanted some insane burn times I could swap to four mediums or even the large ones.

The stock radiators are more than capable of handling the heat generation of this engine.

Sorry, but the new stock is inferior compared to the previous function of Heat Management for dealing with engine heat, that's a fact.

That would mean the only part you could declare "incorrect" would be my suggestion that the stock modules can't keep up, which I still don't think they can. Of course, if they do work then my opinion is also irrelevant.

The HM parts have also since been updated and handle the Lightbulb wonderfully now.

Edited by Randazzo

Listen. I totally get that some people are a bit bent out of shape because we now have stock radiators.

But given I've been using them with this specific engine without issue, and given the fact that the author of this mod feels stock radiators are so effective he has to actually increase the heat of his parts... any FUD about stock radiators somehow being inadequate for the job of the nuclear lightbulb engine is just flat out misinformation.

Listen. I totally get that some people are a bit bent out of shape because we now have stock radiators.

But given I've been using them with this specific engine without issue, and given the fact that the author of this mod feels stock radiators are so effective he has to actually increase the heat of his parts... any FUD about stock radiators somehow being inadequate for the job of the nuclear lightbulb engine is just flat out misinformation.

I understand you feel the need to defend your baby, but I'm really not bent out of shape over it. I conceded that my opinion was irrelevant if it was factually wrong. Regardless, this isn't the place.

What we can all clearly agree on is the Lightbulb is super. ;)

Indeed, the actives are so effective even that I've ramped up the lightbulb heat production to 2000 for the next version. This requires two large stock active panels for unlimited burn time, seems right to me as a means to give some 'debuff' to an inherently 'overpowered' engine, aswell as an excuse to cover your spaceship in radiators and make it look awesome.

Porkjet, as you update this mod, just a couple of simple requests (things I do with my mod of your mod anyway).

First, I think that these engines should be set up as GENERATOR rather than ALTERNATOR parts. The reactors and RTGs would be generating power even when I'm not firing propellent through them (in fact, when considering an RTG, with no ability to throttle - if you aren't cooling it by firing propellent through the heat exchanger you better be doing something to keep it cool).

Second, I think some of the values used in your parts are slightly out of line with the two relevant stock parts, 1) rtg and 2) LV-N. I'd suggest that the candle probably should weigh somewhat more than the RTG (maybe double) but put out power (point 1) as well as serve as an engine. This makes it a nice (but costly) choice for long range probes. The LANTRN shouldn't pay any ISP penalty compared to LV-N when operating in fuel only mode (its the same core temp, and its using hte same fuel, so it should have the same ISP). But it should be heavier (extra plumbing).

Third lightbulb gets in range of speculative stuff, so not sure how to balance it - i'd argue instead how I play with Lightbulb. I don't want to play the interstellar mod, because it carries way to much baggage with it as cool as it is, and I don't want to play with mods that are completely in the realm of fantasy (e.g. kerbanite+ with torchdrives), so that pretty much leaves your mod with lightbulb. As such, I want lightbulb to be overpowered, but realistically overpowered, extremely expensive, and end-game tech tree tech.

I'm thinking perhaps two engines

The lightbulb you've got, but significantly lighter. Right now its TWR is worse than LV-N. 30 tons? I'd say something between 6-10.

And then, something better than lightbulb. Like gas-core reactor, or possibly fission fragment, Different nitch - much higher ISP - 5000-8000, much lower thrust. (~80 ish). Basically , option 1 is the 'lower isp, high trust' engine, and the second option is the 'ion engine for big ships' alternative.

-Seyv

Edited by Red Iron Crown
Keep it friendly, please.

I understand you feel the need to defend your baby, but I'm really not bent out of shape over it. I conceded that my opinion was irrelevant if it was factually wrong. Regardless, this isn't the place.

What we can all clearly agree on is the Lightbulb is super. ;)

This has zero to do with a need to 'defend my baby' and everything to do with making sure folks are not declaring 'facts' that are not factual. And it seems the only corner I am having to put these fires out in are people who were passionate about other radiator mods (or, dare I say it, trying to defend their own babies).

In any case. As noted by the mod author, stock mechanics are more than sufficient for this engine and are not 'inadequate' as previously asserted.

Edited by RoverDude

This has zero to do with a need to 'defend my baby' and everything to do with making sure folks are not declaring 'facts' that are not factual. And it seems the only corner I am having to put these fires out in are people who were passionate about other radiator mods (or, dare I say it, trying to defend their own babies).

In any case. As noted by the mod author, stock mechanics are more than sufficient for this engine and are not 'inadequate' as previously asserted.

Baby defense is critical!

However, I stand corrected. I was able to burn a Lightbulb for ~4 minutes on two medium radiator panels before the engine failed. Conceivably you could extend this as far as you like by adding larger/more radiator panels.

This mod is great and I love it. Good thing Kerbals like radiation (it makes their skin glow a healthy green).

Any plans to include an ORION pulsed thermonuclear drive (aka "nuke yourself to the stars") or a Zubrin nuclear salt water drive?

great update,but im having problems with the radiators,i put them on a vessels and nothing happens ,i click on them and nothing pop ups.

updated my module manager also,and still cant click on the radiators.

What do you expect to happen? As soon as part of your vessel becomes hot, they will draw away the heat cooling them.

Love the update kinda disappointed with the 1.5 mach limit on the TJ. Is that for gameplay as I don't see why this would have such a low speed limit? Also that begs the question of how you got that plane to eve in your screenshot with just the TJs especially with the mach limit.

Welp, thats kind of amazing stuff. Doesn't even feel exploity, considering electric propellers are probably lighter, if not faster (a lot less fun tho).

Love the update kinda disappointed with the 1.5 mach limit on the TJ. Is that for gameplay as I don't see why this would have such a low speed limit? Also that begs the question of how you got that plane to eve in your screenshot with just the TJs especially with the mach limit.

Are you really complaining that your perpetum mobile doesn't make 2x mach speed? :P

Also mind Mach Speed is higher on low atmosphere planets, afair 550m/s on duna? And pictured craft cant do interplanetary travel anyway, since it doesn't feature rocket engines.

Edited by Temeter

Welp, thats kind of amazing stuff. Doesn't even feel exploity, considering electric propellers are probably lighter, if not faster (a lot less fun tho).

Are you really complaining that your perpetum mobile doesn't make 2x mach speed? :P

Also mind Mach Speed is higher on low atmosphere planets, afair 550m/s on duna? And pictured craft cant do interplanetary travel anyway, since it doesn't feature rocket engines.

Please don't presume to know how I play. I use an upscaled system as well as Realfuels so I tend to err toward realism not kerbalism...

Edited by Svm420

Please don't presume to know how I play. I use an upscaled system as well as Realfuels so I tend to err toward realism not kerbalism...

Your realistic playstyle has a few problems when you're assuming a mach 2 nuclear jet engine to be completely reasonable.

Your realistic playstyle has a few problems when you're assuming a mach 2 nuclear jet engine to be completely reasonable.

Honestly probably last post to you, but unless you have some reference to cite MYOFB. My question will not be answered by you unless you cite some reference to show what you say has any validity otherwise the question is to the mod author. Thanks though for instructing me on my game

:rolleyes:

Honestly probably last post to you, but unless you have some reference to cite MYOFB. My question will not be answered by you unless you cite some reference to show what you say has any validity otherwise the question is to the mod author. Thanks though for instructing me on my game

:rolleyes:

I'm afraid the things you're writing as well as your answers contradict themselves and don't make much sense.