[1.0.5] Atomic Age - Nuclear Propulsion - Red Hot Radiators

Porkjet

Porkjet, Your mod won't load. The game stops and freezes when it loads the nuclear turbojet. It can't be a memory problem, since I tried removing almost all other mods, but it still happens. Please help?

- - - Updated - - -

When I remove it, the game loads fine. hmm. Oh well.

Porkjet, Can you change the stack attach nodes to size 2 on the Lightbulb engine?

Current configuration, defaults to size one without a seventh value:

node_stack_top = 0.0, 2.375, 0.0, 0.0, 2.0, 0.0
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -1.625, 0.0, 0.0, -2.0, 0.0

What I change it to:

node_stack_top = 0.0, 2.375, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -1.625, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2

Thanks for the awesome mod, and update!:)

Hey Porkjet, the particle effects for the nuclear lightbulb engine seem to have broken somehow.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/smjjames/Laythe%20Circumnavigation_screenshot_2015-09-05--07-31-20_zps9m6mqz3s.png

Current output log: http://sta.sh/0nyyjcypaal

I'm using version 3.1.2

I'm looking at that picture and I'm like, "What is he talking about? He only has a small engine with 4 nozzles. No lightbulb in there..."

I had to zoom in to realize the 'nozzles' were four Lightbulb engines.

Any chance of a bi-modal nuclear engine that can function as a power generating reactor when not in use?

NASA's tri-modal nuclear thermal rocket (Triton) design.

Should be easy to mod it in based on the LANTR, except for the "reverse alternator" which works only when not thrusting. Ven's overhaul already has the 0.625 m generating Shiba.

Edited by DDE

Should be easy to mod it in based on the LANTR, except for the "reverse alternator" which works only when not thrusting. Ven's overhaul already has the 0.625 m generating Shiba.

If one wasn't concerned with precisely how it worked, the effect could be gotten by adding a generator to the engine and giving it a negative value alternator equal to the generator amount, or adding EC consumption to the propellants. It would only generate power while inactive. Though considering how little time is spent with the engine running compared to how long it just sits there, the necessity of doing so is dubious.

If anyone cares, it's been done in Raptor's Stockalike pack for Real Fuels. (original config-work done by me)

Using the stock NTR, but it could be easily enough adapted.

A question about one game-wide change this mod makes: is there a reason why IntakeAtm is applied to everything in the game that has IntakeAir? All my intakes now have two intakes controls on them, one for IntakeAir and the other for IntakeAtm. They're not actually labeled in the editor either. (Just reads "Toggle Intake".) I didn't figure out was going on until I actually took some time to read the info panel while in flight to see what was going on.

There are one or 2 other mods I have that use IntakeAtm, but they tend to have the intake built into the parts that need them (like the USI electric RCS props.) The Nuclear Turbojet in this mod seems to do the same thing, so why the need to add IntakeAtm to all intakes? If there is a need, is there any way to make it so a single intake module call generates both resources rather than have 2 separate "intakes" on each part? Wouldn't having a second intake affect drag performance (in stock aero, that is. I preferred NEAR back in 0.90, but I don't think that's getting touched; FAR is TOO advanced for my tastes.)

I made a .cfg file for nuclear engine that work like nearfutureelectricale isp is rss. watch me thread.

Hmm nice!

Although actual tri-modal systems used a seperate Brayton-cycle electric generator unit to produce power. And there is a mod which adds input heat > electric generator parts! But I for got it's name and have been searching for it for over a week now.

Edited by Gkirmathal

Anyone has the problem that the Nuclear Lightbulb is extrmely wobling in its gimbal

yah, however I think it's more problem of KSP SAS system than Lightbulb itself. This engine is quite big and then has quite an extensive gimbal range thus exacerbating the problem. You can either disable gimbal or tweak config to decrease gimbal range and increase its reaction time.

yah, however I think it's more problem of KSP SAS system than Lightbulb itself. This engine is quite big and then has quite an extensive gimbal range thus exacerbating the problem. You can either disable gimbal or tweak config to decrease gimbal range and increase its reaction time.

i find this only happens with remotetech, due to the delay.

I'm looking at that picture and I'm like, "What is he talking about? He only has a small engine with 4 nozzles. No lightbulb in there..."

I had to zoom in to realize the 'nozzles' were four Lightbulb engines.

lol :) Also, how do you see that as a SMALL engine? See that white structural part? That's a SpaceY 7.5m to 4x 3.75 stack adaptor.

Anyways, anybody else running into the same problem with the lightbulb engines? I'm using Atomic Age 3.1.2

I did a quick check to make sure it wasn't some sort of symmetry issue.

Edit: I looked in the gamedata folder and the file it thinks is missing, is actually there.

testity_screenshot_2015-09-10--13-33-49_zpswptmj7r5.png

Edited by smjjames

I did a test and found that all of them are affected. And yes those files are present in the directory.

Edit: Oh wait, I've got it figured out, I accidentially had the folder like this: KSP root>gamedata>Atomic Age 3.1>gamedata>usual folders. I'm surprised something else didn't break.

Edit2: Yep, that was the cause of it.

testity_screenshot_2015-09-10--15-33-02_zpsj8mpwy2r.png

Edited by smjjames

Now that the other orion mod isn't supported for ksp 1.0x could you add the orion drive to your mod or update the dlls for that mod? Please do it for jeb's sake.

Links http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/28428-Orion-aka-Ol-Boom-boom

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_%28nuclear_propulsion%29

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/enginelist.php#id--Pulse--Orion

Edited by totos_totidis
links