[1.0.5] Atomic Age - Nuclear Propulsion - Red Hot Radiators

Porkjet

13 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Define "wonky" please, I want to verify that it's not happening in 1.3

I tried enabling gimbal to help with to an unbalanced load I was not aware of until after I lifted off from the Mun.

It only worked within one degree of freedom, and once it just flopped around wildly within that arc. 

I also remember seeing the one degree of freedom problem in 1.2 which is why I always disable the gimbal.

I have not yet tried adding the update patch to see if that fixes the issue.

15 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Define "wonky" please, I want to verify that it's not happening in 1.3

It only gimballed properly on one axis. I forget if it was X or Z.

Rotation would not work at all

On 7/14/2017 at 10:56 AM, Starwaster said:

It only gimballed properly on one axis. I forget if it was X or Z.

Rotation would not work at all

And it's still a thing, unfortunately.

I might just have to disable gimbling if I can't get it figured out.  

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

And it's still a thing, unfortunately.

I might just have to disable gimbling if I can't get it figured out.  

Set the gimbalTransformName to thrustTransform. It won't visually gimbal anymore but gimballing will work, all axes. Including the ones currently broken. That's probably what needs to happen to the nuclear jet as well but I haven't even looked at that one.

33 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Set the gimbalTransformName to thrustTransform. It won't visually gimbal anymore but gimballing will work, all axes. Including the ones currently broken. That's probably what needs to happen to the nuclear jet as well but I haven't even looked at that one.

If I have to, I will, but I'd really want the visual to work.

Thanks

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

If I have to, I will, but I'd really want the visual to work.

Thanks

Unlikely without at least the files he worked with in Unity. Could maybe fix it there but it might take reworking of the original models, I don't know. I know of one of two things that can cause this as I'm facing a similar problem with Procedural SRB where I DO have access to the original files and have had some success, but with side effects that might result in me doing the thrustTransform thing after all

33 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Unlikely without at least the files he worked with in Unity. Could maybe fix it there but it might take reworking of the original models, I don't know. I know of one of two things that can cause this as I'm facing a similar problem with Procedural SRB where I DO have access to the original files and have had some success, but with side effects that might result in me doing the thrustTransform thing after all

Can you explain it to me?  I thought that the ModuleGimbal simply took the specified transform and change it according to what was needed.  Apparently there is something else going on as well

1 minute ago, Mihara said:

There is such a thing as a mu->blender importer, so there's always some hope until even that fails. That, however, might turn out to be too much work.

Yeah I've tried it before, ended up with several different sized meshes that were a PITA to sort out. And then because I'd rather be dipped in bees than to use Blender, I had to export it so I could do the work with Softimage/XSI/Mod Tool

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Can you explain it to me?  I thought that the ModuleGimbal simply took the specified transform and change it according to what was needed.  Apparently there is something else going on as well

Two possible causes: 

1. The gimbal transform has to have its Z axis aligned with the thrust transform Z axis in order to have independent gimbal range limits on the X & Y axes. As I understand it (and I'm not 100% sure on this) gimbal transform orientation was not important on a per-axis basis in older versions of KSP as it seems to have been used primarily as a rotation point for the thrust transform and/or other engine parts. So if, for example, the X axis is the one aligned with the thrust transform then that means the Y axis is unaccessible
  2. The gimbal transform can't be the root or it won't function. There needs to be a base empty GameObject other than the one with the gimbalTransform or it won't work. I do not know why that is but I couldn't get the Procedural SRB gimbals working properly until I sandwiched the gimbal transform between the bell and another GameObject. I suspect that it's not possible to rotate a transform unless it has a parent object and the default orientation is Y = Up. So if that theory is correct (and experimentally it seems to be) then any rotations I make in the Unity editor don't get applied in the game unless there's a base parent transform. I have no idea why that would be the case as it always worked before. Or it's possible the theory is not correct and that there was another underlying cause preventing the gimbal from working until I gave it another empty GameObject as a parent. (or even another mesh)

Clarification on #2, when I say 'not possible to rotate' I mean only in regards to naked transform rotations not surviving the export to the game.

Edit: After hacking on PSRB some more today I'm not sure how relevant my experiences with it are to the gimbal issues on this mod. There's things going on with that mod that are unique to it and maybe not relevant after all.

Edited by Starwaster

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...