[1.0.5] Atomic Age - Nuclear Propulsion - Red Hot Radiators

Porkjet

I'm still concerned about current thermodynamics of engines. Why does high thermal mass of engines make them overheat faster? It quite an unrealistic behavior.

I'm still concerned about current thermodynamics of engines. Why does high thermal mass of engines make them overheat faster? It quite an unrealistic behavior.

It does not make them overheat faster. It does the opposite. Thermal mass is a measure of how much heat something can absorb before rising a degree in temperature.

Of two parts with the same temperature, the one with higher thermal mass has more heat in it.

new Version out!

meet the KANDL

2UtprdN.jpg

This was suggested by SkyRex94

I've also been reading you guys comments about the emissives, thanks for those hints. I have mainly used photos as references, and many of those often did show the hottest glowing part of the nozzle somewhere in the middle of the bell. As Starbuckminsterfullerton and futrtrubl have pointed out, this is caused if the nozzle is throat regeneratively cooled, which is the case for the LANTERN. However, I did change it and the Lightbulb emissive a slight bit and gave the throats more glow, it does look better I think:

KL0QtVf.jpg

Can never have too many nukes. Is the community tech tree cfg required? And what about the fuel switcher? Not using that any longer?

Not using CTT yet myself and its there in the tech tree, assigns its on nodes.

Not sure what's going on as the info in the .cfg file matches what is in the tooltip - but the max thrust on these engines (all three) is roughly double what it should be. The lightbulb is showing 900 kN, the Lantern 215 kN, and the little one is at 6 kN according to Mechjeb's vessel info (in the SPH). All the other engines show up as they should, the LV-N for example says it should be 60 kN and according to Mechjeb is 60 kN. This extra thrust seems to be giving them extreme amounts of delta-V when compared to other options, they're not just alternatives to the LV-N - they're flat out better in every way by far.

The last few updates have focused on air parts, by necessity... now that air parts seem much more complete (sure, there is room and wishes for more) I think / hope v1.1 could turn back to looking at what rocket parts might be needed, to fill in gaps in the Stock parts catalog. Poor, lonely LV-N in the stock parts catalog. So sad. It needs friends.

The custom emissive is really impressive ! Thank you very much for the update, stockalike parts are always appreciated, and yours are well designed and beautiful :)

Edit : I don't have the borders glowing ingame, and the small nuclear engine doesn't turn to red :(

Edited by spacecookie

Not sure what's going on as the info in the .cfg file matches what is in the tooltip - but the max thrust on these engines (all three) is roughly double what it should be. The lightbulb is showing 900 kN, the Lantern 215 kN, and the little one is at 6 kN according to Mechjeb's vessel info (in the SPH). All the other engines show up as they should, the LV-N for example says it should be 60 kN and according to Mechjeb is 60 kN. This extra thrust seems to be giving them extreme amounts of delta-V when compared to other options, they're not just alternatives to the LV-N - they're flat out better in every way by far.

Might be due to engines now changing thrust with ISP not fuel flow. MJ can get confused now, compare that with SLT in mechjeb.

This extra thrust seems to be giving them extreme amounts of delta-V when compared to other options, they're not just alternatives to the LV-N - they're flat out better in every way by far.

A gas-core nuclear thermal rocket is supposed to have vastly better performance in every way than a solid-core -- it's just a much harder engineering challenge to build one.

Looking at it again your values are double what they should be so the ISP change isn't the issue. Are you sure you haven't managed to place 2 of them on your craft? I've actually had this happen while node attaching while in 2x symmetry mode and it is difficult to see since they are exactly on top of each other.

Yeah. I just noticed it when I was comparing the delta-V between the engines with a cockpit, tank, and engine. Just tried building a spaceplane using the Lantern engines though and they didn't seem to have anything near that level of thrust though.

new Version out!

As Starbuckminsterfullerton and futrtrubl have pointed out, this is caused if the nozzle is throat regeneratively cooled, which is the case for the LANTERN. However, I did change it and the Lightbulb emissive a slight bit and gave the throats more glow, it does look better I think:

Guys he said my name!:D Congratulations on the update, it looks stunning as always. I don't know how you make such beautiful emissives. Can't wait to light up the blackness with KANDL's.